Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Bottle from 2009

A: The pour is a hazed dark amber color with a finger and a half worth of fluffy tan head.

S: Smells like slightly tart cherries and cherry pie. There's some nice caramel and toffee notes as well. A touch of chocolate malt, raisins, and plums, too.

T: A definite alcohol taste to begin with which is followed by cherry skins, raisins, and plum skins. There's a nice maltiness that I would describe as toffee, and a bit of brown sugar. The same subtle chocolate character that was present on the nose.

M: The body is medium with a moderate carbonation.

D: Not quite as boozy and overly intense as I remember, but something I'd still have a bit of trouble drinking a significant quantity of.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a gorgeous dark amber/red with a very light tan head that hangs out for a while. Smells of cherries up front followed by malts and alcohol. This is a truly well-balanced beer. The alcohol is there (and it packs a punch), but the drink managed to stay smooth and not too sweet. The cherry lambic does add a bit to the sweetness, but when later revisited discovered the tartness it brings to the table. This beer will warm you up. This is easily one of my favorites, though it's out of my comfort zone of dark brews, I'll be coming back to this one until its pulled off of the market.

4.31/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a beautiful dark chocolate brown, with a very fluffy and prominent light brown head. The retention is amazing and leaves a nice sticky lacing with every sip. Smells strongly of Belgian abbey yeast, with a strong sweetness and slight cherry notes woven in between. The beer is incredibly full-bodied (as it damn well should be) and packs a punch. A formidable malt/yeast combo combines with the alcohol to give the brew a strong yet creamy feel, while the addition of kriek gives it a lasting sweetness all the way through and one doesn't have to try hard to taste the cherries. It finishes with a faintly tart, tangy bite on the sides of tongue.

As a New Yorker by birth and a Belgian in spirit, Ommegang has long been at the top of my list of must-try American breweries, and needless to say this beer did not disappoint. All this beer needed was a French/Dutch label and I would have been convinced it was an import. The deep yet pronounced flavors mixed well with the beer's high ABV, making it a great example of the style. Top-notch, no question about it.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Bottle. Pours hazy dark red with a small, short lived head. Nose is very fruity, sweet malt and alcohol. Full body with sweet malt, brown sugar, yeast and cherry flavor in the beginning, with floral hops pleasantly kick in the finish. Wonderful beer.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Clear, very active, auburn/amber, thinnish/modest tan head but with very good retention due to the intense activity feeding it.

Boozy mostly at first...Revisited later there is mild malty and woody (though I don't think it was in wood) notes are next. light floral hops and tart fruity accents come on strong late.

Very balanced with faint malty sweetness and woody flavors laying down the foundation for the dark fruity (cherry) and hoppy accents. Mild bitterness is more noticeable in the late middle and finish. Booze is present, but not dominant.

Well carbonated, full bodied, modest warming, balanced finish. pleasant, luxurious texture.

Can't believe I haven't tried (or don't remember having tried) this one before. Wow. Super complex, unique, smooth and balanced. I like that the finish isn't dry, but I'd like a bit more sweet maltyness...No I wouldn't, it's great just the way it is!

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - Murky and deep reddish/brown in colour. A fair amount of carbonation is present. Creates a thin but full creamy tan-coloured head with great retention. The lacing is nothing special but certainly exists in small amounts.

S - When you let it sit still it smells like a typical quad with some slight fruitiness. You can certainly smell the spices and yeast with a very gentle touch of an alcoholic freshness and subtle yet sweet fruits. Upon agitating the beer by swirling, the smell becomes engulfed by absolutely great smelling cherries that come straight to the forefront and smell very fresh.

T - The taste has a sort of depth to it that is a welcome change from many beers. Sitting on the tongue you get the spices and yeast with a tinge of rich, dark fruits upfront. The beer is simply fantastic when you swish it around your mouth though, the cherries jump through from the background and blend with the quad perfectly. I'm not tasting any of the alcohol that others mentioned at a slightly cool temperature. Fantastic taste, nice complexity despite the seemingly simple number of notable flavours.

M/D - Quite light bodied and pleasant on the tongue. The drinkability suffers slightly because of the carbonation. A few sips in and I am already feeling the carbonation building up within. Still, it's a great tasting beer that is definitely worth trying. I will be picking up some more of this on my next run to the US.

3.84/5  rDev -7.2%

A deep burgundy color, slightly hazy with a nice, long lasting head that very slowly turns into a thick blanket on top, ample lacing that leaves a beautiful sheen on the glass, lots of fine bubbles rising to the top. Splendid looking brew.

Initial smell is nothing like the taste. Some alcoholic, yeasty, sweet, dark fruits (prunes? grapes?) and a somewhat non-descript aroma that reminds me of an olympic swimming pool.

You can definitely taste the cherries, and I like it. Mellow yet noticeable cherry flavors accent a strongly caramel malt / dark fruity backdrop, complete with a spicy bitterness, but few to no hops. A bit of yeast. Could have more cherries and I wouldn't be at all upset as they seem to be the strong point of this brew. Alcohol isn't concealed all that well but the cherries balance it out to a 4 on taste.

Mouthfeel is highly carbonated, thick, rich, with a slight dryness and medium bitter follow-through that's just a tad overpowering. Warming as the high ABV permeates the gullet.

Drinks nicely but definitely a slow drinking, sampling/sharing/pairing with food type of brew.

I love quads, but this one isn't my favorite. A fine brew to be sure tho, no complaints. If dry is your thing this might be the quad for you.

3.68/5  rDev -11.1%

Ommegang is one of my least favorite Faux Belgian breweries. Haven't liked any of them yet. I read a few reviews of this one and listened to the crew comment on it on Beer School podcast, so it seemed like I had to try it anyway.

Poured from a 750 into a goblet.

Appearance is slightly cloudy mahogany, occluded lets say, the head is complex and multi-colored and dissipates quickly into puddles.

The nose is unpromising. It has the Belgian spice smell for sure, but it smells more like it's heading to a midweight Chimay style. That's great, but this is supposed to be a Quad/Blend so I am skeptical.

Flavor is what the nose hinted at. Overpowering alcohol taste, if you can get past the waaay-high carbonation there's some nice flavors there that apparently start with Kriek, but they're being overshadowed by alcohol and carbonation.

The flavors are very promising, but the blend is off. I taste the cherry and the Belgian yeast but there's a bit of a cough syrup thing going on.

Someone described this as syrupy - it's really not. Here's what it is: Take a goblet of Chimay Blue, add 2 tbs. of Cherry Robitussin to the glass, then an unflavored Alka Seltzer tablet for more carbonation. Presto - 3 Philosophers.

For those who like sours or lambics or Kriek - I'm sure this is tasty as all get out. I can drink it, but I wouldn't order it twice.

Not bad, just not a great Quad style example. If you make a couple great ales and at least one standard Quad - then sure, have fun with a blend like this. But don't make this your one Quad entry.

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Ommegang is one of my favorite breweries and I thought I would try this one.

A: Yellow to amber single finger head that doesn't last too long. Very little lacing but nice cherry wood color with slight cloudiness. Lots of little bubbles. There is a slight yeast coating to the bottom of the bottle...I am very excited

S: Interesting almost a champagne smell to this brew. Fruits and cherry? Ok, this is not what I expected, but I am still looking forward to the taste of this one.

T: Very interesting taste and similar to champagne, fruity more than malty, and not very hoppy. You can taste a bit of the 9.8% alcohol in this one. It is very interesting, you should try this beer

M: Highly carbonated, think champagne. Almost too much

D: More of a sipping beer than a drinking beer.

I am going to have to remember this one for New Years. Would rather toast to beer than to champagne and this beer would really fit the bill.

4.38/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've been wanting to try this beer for some time. Finally found it, so I thought I would give it a try.

A: dark yellow head that doesn't last too long. very little lacing. beautiful mahogany color with slight cloudiness.

S: At first smell, it had a hint of wine smell to it. Smelled a hint of fruits and char.

T: Interesting taste. Yeast came through right away. Slightly bitter, but not too bad. Faint cherry taste at times. Last mouthful I had a very distinct taste of cherries. Very Good.

M: I would say a medium carbonation. At first mouthful, it had an almost numbing effect, my wife tried it and she had the same effect. Could have been the carbonation. Left my mouth feeling "coated", but in a good way. Very Interesting.

D: Very drinkable. Needs to be sipped to enjoy the mouthfeel and aftertaste. This one is going into by beer cellar. Want to age it and try it again. Definately a good beer.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

A-HOLY CRAP. Look at that head. That freakin cranium is HUUUUGE! Take a look at that dome! Hey spudnik! MOOVE! Nice maroon body with a fat fat fat off white head that leaves a mess on my stone 13th/Lucky Baldwin's glass. SHAME ON YOU!

S-Faint stinky cherries, some rum raisin, and plum. Has a whiff of cough syrup, but guess what, I loved that shit growing up.

T-OH MAN. Definitely get to taste the different beers in this one! On one hand you have a typically awesome quad, with some dark fruit, bold spiciness and some fig/chocolate in the mid-ground, but in no-mans land, there is over ripe cherry and an uplifting bit of carbonation to the symphony.

M- Could be a little thicker, but it delivers a well balanced brewski.

Drinks like a champ at 9.8%. I want to keep a bottle around to see what a year can do, but guess what, I suck at aging beers.

CHEERS, OMG-ang

3.76/5  rDev -9.2%

A creamy hazel brown. Nice head. Very opaque. How I think a good beer should look.

Fruity and warm aroma. Very inviting.

Taste is better than some Belgian Quads I've had, but not the best. The best ones were ones I had on tap, had too many of, and can't remember the names of. . . I've had this beer cellared for about 2 years and that was really good. Fruity notes, which are typical to the style.

It's very smooth for a 9.8% beer.

Drinkability suffers from price, and a little from alcohol content. I enjoy Belgian Quads, but their high alcohol and smooth taste are a deadly combination. . . Best part about this beer is the availability.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A- Pours a deep mahogany red and head retains for a bit before receding with some stick.
S- Smells of vanilla, red grapes, and is very yeasty.
T- Yeast aspect comes through right away, picked up some vanilla and late aged char. Very deep and complex. Fruity. Very good!
M- Somewhat bitter, not unpleasant.
D- Great beer but its a sipper.
Really enjoying this beer. Saved this to share with Dad.

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a goblet. Pours a silty brown, with a thin skim of head swirling like an eddy in a current.

Has a malty, almost bready smell, with notes of leather, plum, currants, dried cherries, and other dark fruits.

Has a sweet, malty taste, with plenty of fruit hitting the palette. Dark tasting, with decent tanins, clear cherry and raspberry tart, faint yeast, and some honey.

Medium mouthfeel, with plenty of tart to keep the tongue honest.

Wonderful tasting, this is reminiscent of Troegg's Mad Elf, one of my favorite Christmas beers. Cheers!

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Appearance: Dark brown with a decent head (if poured correctly).

Aroma: Candied fruits, cherries, mint, and malts.

Taste: Very smooth and creamy with some fruits, a slight bit of tart cherries, and deep malts and cloves.

Overall: Had this on tap at a sports bar (it was the only thing worth while on tap) and am very happy I did. Easy to sip, but the alcohol is deceiving, so I suggest pairing with some cheese or pizza (that is what I did), because 3 of these bad boys went down very easily, and the alcohol content caught me off guard in a good way. Cheers!!

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

Ommegang, what a nice find for me. To the rest of the BA world this is old news, but to me it is a wonderful brand new find. For the money this may be the best quad i've had. Poured from a 12oz bottle in a Duinen chalice. Lovely Dark red amber in color with a nice tan head which quickly recedes into the glass. The taste is awsome. Fruit, cherries. I'll buy this for as long as I can.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

2010 label. As fresh as I'm going to taste this beer I'd imagine.

To note - I'll review this beer to style based on the 3 beers I've had in the style. Rochefort 10, St Bernardus abt 12, and Judgment Day. This is my 4th. So all you BAs can take this with a grain of salt if I admit my experience isn't up to par.

From the others I mention, I love that the dark fruits are the base, loving the plum forward, alcohol soaked raisin and brown sugar flavors intertwined together beautifully with a smoooth mouthfeel. Complex. Obviously Judgment Day's profile is moseso lighter fruit forward with pear and plumish apple if that makes sense.

Three Philosophers is much less complex substituting black cherry for the plum and raisin, although the plum and raisin are there if you really look for it. Leaves you wondering a bit "did I miss something?" Solid but bland for a Quad. Raisin and Cherry forward and a bit medicinal as explained in other reviews. Very dry. You can tell this beer is a Quad but very average for the style that I've experienced so far. Don't get me wrong...this beer is enjoyable. Grew on me some as I finished the bomber.

Here is where this beer shines. Drinkability for the style. Finishes bone dry leaving you OK being able to finish a second bomber if this beer is your bag.

I'm happy I finally pulled the trigger and bought this beer. No regrets. However, I won't be buying this one again but would never turn it down if offered to me.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

Pour: Highly carbonated. Poured from a corked Bomber, marked 2009, so its at least a year old but from my understanding Ommegang is all warm fermented bottle conditioned, so I wasnt worried about spoilage. The head was a tan color and very thick reducing slowly to a nicely sustained lace. Beer color is dark dark red and pretty speckled when held up to light due to all the carbonation.

Smell: Malty Cherry smell, with a very noticeable alcohol smell, almost wine like.

Taste: Malt with slight fruitiness, not too much and a deep dark cherry that lingers. You can certainly taste the alcohol at the finish as well as a lingering cherry.

Drnkability: This is definitly a sipping beer, because it will sneak up on you. But tasty and very enjoyable.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a hazy brownish-red from a 12 oz bottle with ABV on the label. Nice thick head which slowly dissipates to a thin head that stays. Aroma is predominantly cherries, with hints of yeast and alcohol. Delicious brew, taste is again predominantly cherry with the ABV masked very well. Smooth, silky finish with excellent lacing. A solid, solid brew from Ommegang, very highly recommended quad. Just be careful, the smoothness and delicious taste makes you want to have more, but the ABV will hit you before you know. Cheers !!!

750 ml Bottle.

A- Pours a beautiful dark red with a one finger head that lingers with great lacing down the glass. A gorgeous deep red when held up to the light.

S- Lots of toasty maltiness, some caramel with a slight hint of cherry and a small but noticeable amount of alcohol.

T- Less complex than I expected, although it grew on me throughout the glass. Nice malty taste giving way to faint (almost medicinal) cherry and other dark fruit flavors with a slight alcoholic bite at the end.

M- Full bodied and really incredible mouthfeel. One of the beer's high points in my opinion.

D- Given the high ABV it is quite drinkable. I probably wouldn't reach for another immediately after due to the ABV but outside of that it isn't too much to handle more than one of at all. Overall I wouldn't be in any hurry to buy this beer again.

4.04/5  rDev -2.4%

A: dark mahogany, almost burnt brick. Poured into a Ommegang flute like chalice with a khaki head that doesn't hang around a long time or leave a lot of lacing.

S: there is a lot of dark fruit and robust, toasty malt. The hops come out in a citrus note that hangs among the rest of the fruit.

T: the taste matches the nose a lot with a whole lot more of the malt character coming out. Biscuit like malt and yeasty; a lot of those dark fruits and raisins. Not to terrible on the alcohol for being a quad. I get tartness from the cherries at the end, but its a good tart and helps further mask the alcohol content. It has a sweet musty after taste that's nice but doesn't linger.

MF: for as well as the alcohol is masked it still leaves a nice warmth in the mouth that makes it nice for sipping. A heavy body that is common for a quad and is nice, the tingle across the tongue is a nice treat from the Kriek part of this brew.

D: I picked this up in a gift set with a BPA and Triple Perfection and the chalice I mentioned for about 18$ which wasn't terrible at all. I would get this again on a chilly night when I'm in the mood for a sipper but I wouldn't see myself buying it regularly. A for sure special occasion beer.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a deepish red with a pillowy Belgianesque head. Slightly cloudy from the small amount of yeast that pours at the end of the bottle. Aroma is of dark fruits, caramel, sweet malts, and Belgian yeast esters. Flavor is complex and well balanced. Lots of dark, rum soaked fruits, plum, and figs. Caramel and toffee. Sweet graininess is present. Some sour cherries are noticeable, and the flavor of the cherries increases as the beer warms. I let this one warm up to room temperature and it was fantastic. Alcohol is amazingly well hidden and this is a very drinkable beer for the abv.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

The beer has a small head which quickly dissipates. It is quite fizzy and looks like good iced-tea when held up to the light, both in color and clarity.

The aroma is vaguely reminiscent of cherries, but a little musty and otherwise fairly muted.

Flavor-wise, this beer is quite complex. It is sweet, smooth, and malty with a nice crisp tart finish of cherry flavor and alcoholic warmth. The aftertaste is of booze and raisins in the way the best white ports are. The mustiness comes through in the aftertaste as well. However, this fades quickly and leaves one wanting another sip.

Overall, quite an interesting and flavorful beer.

4.7/5  rDev +13.5%

A: Mahoghany copper with off white 2 finger head that dropped quickly to a solid 1/2 finger. Some lacing.

S: Smells of cherries, raisins and leather with a hint of cocoa.

T: Cherries, maltiness with slight yeasty flavor. Some cocoa in there as well. Not too sweet and a bit of sour. Good fruit flavor but not overwhelming. Alcohol in there but blended nicely. Great flavor. A lot in there.

M: Lighter body than appearance. A lot of carbonation but somehow it does not attack my mouth.

D: Dangerously drinkable. Great fruity sour taste but not so far away from just a great beer. Very easy to drink and would recommend to pick up a bottle!

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

A: Pours a nice chestnut brown color with a two finger thick off-white head that sticks around for quite some time.

S: Smells slightly of cherries and a bit of caramel malt with some floral characteristics and a hint of yeast.

T: The taste upfront seems to have the sweetness of dark fruits and cherries, which is followed by some caramel malt flavors and a hint of alcohol.

M: Medium bodied with above average carbonation, finish is smooth and dry.

D: This ale is very drinkable for the higher ABV, but I wouldn't have more than one. Something isn't working here for me, maybe it's the Ommegang glass with the gold ring around that came with the beers. Don't get me wrong, this is a good beer, but I think the glass tastes too much like metal to me, I'll have to try this again with a different glass.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang