Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,722 | Reviews: 2,000
4.05/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a deep chocolaty brown with a large fluffy tan head that leaves impressive lacing.

S: Roast malts, chocolate and tart cherries, with just a slight whiff of funk.

T: An amazingly complex brew. The front has a simultaneous hit of sweet chocolate *and* tart cherry. The whole thing dries out in the center, with the roasty notes of the barley coming to the fore, and the finish is dry and toasty with the light funk following up in the immediate aftertaste.

M: Quite light in spite of the ABV. I split the bottle with two friends, but I didn't get much in the way of warmth, just great flavor.

D: Something this rich and complex is one to savor.

Poured from the corked 22 into my Ommegang glass. It came with the gift pack. Medium black with some brown foam and nice lacing. Smell was malty and roasty with the slightest hint of cherry. Taste was also malty and roasty. Mouthfeel was bit thick and drinkability was good. The alcohol snuck up on me. Nighty night.

3.91/5  rDev -5.8%

3p

a 4 the beer pours a rosy hue and leaves a cap with excellent staying power and a few webs of lace.

s 3.5 booze, tart cherries, light sweetness. not bad, but nothing to ponder for hours either.

t 4 there are all sorts of flavors that are probably here but that i'm failing to appreciate. seems pretty middle of the road belgian quad to me (despite my limited experience with quads). i'm not getting much if any dark fruit, chocolate, or other things i've heard this beer is supposed to evoke. it's slightly toasted, sweet, and tart--perhaps i'm having an off night.

m 4 at least medium bodied with a lively carbonation.

d 4 this is clearly good beer but some of what these philosphers were trying to say must have gone over my poor head.

A: Served in a Chimay goblet at the Terrace Taproom. Cloudy deep reddish amber color, without much head. Leaves a fair amount of lacing.

S: Malty, yeasty, slightly fruity.

T: Definitely malty, I could not taste any cherry as hard as I tried, but it did have more of a sweet caramel flavor than the bottle I had before.

M: Carbonated but still smooth and creamy.

D: I tried this on tap a few days after being quite disappointed by a bottle serving. I usually prefer the taste of bottle-conditioned beers being served from the bottle, but this seemed quite a bit more appealing to me on tap. I'll give the bottle a re-review some day. The draft serving lacked the carbonation and alcohol burn that turned me off from the bottled serving and seemed maltier which I enjoyed. It seemed also to have lost the slight cherry taste it had from the bottle, but this could be due to the bar serving it too cold. I tried to let it warm up but had a hard time resisting. All in all an enjoyable quad but unlikely to be a regular choice for me.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Dark mahogany with frothy head that recedes quickly and leaves small filmy sea foam rings of lace.

S- Deep honey tones with toasted malts. Dark cherries are dominant upfront with dark fruit tones coming int. Hay and and sweet caramels. Yeasty. Hints of cloves and dark fruits. Raisins and must.

T- Dark cherries up front followed with a musty, earthy tone. Rich honey and hints of vanilla. Tart cherry and dark fruits, plums. Roasted malt and hay. Mellow hints of clove and spice. Tones of leather.

M- Smooth and slick, slightly creamy, dry finish.

D- Definite sipper, but smooth and sweet. Slightly creamy, Take it slow and this is a treat.

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

I poured this beer into my Ommegang chalice vigorously and it produced a rather large dense foamy off white head that faded to a wispy veil inside a nice foam ring over a nice dark chestnut colored beer with ruby highlights.
Smells thick and rich with candied sugar, malts and fruit. I don,t smell cherries but i do smell the tartness.
Srong malt backbone with sweet candied sugar, fruits. Hints of cherry tartness run through it.
Medium body feel with alcohol warming and a dry tart finish.
Personally, not my style. It is a very strong tasting beer that works well as an apertif for after dinner. I could see this being a decent dessert beer. Something chocolate would compliment nicely I think.

Poured from a bottle into a Sierra Nevada pint glass. Three fingers of tan foam kept me from adding the whole 12 oz. to prevent overflow. The beer is an opaque brown with red and orange hues. The head settled immediately to a film and left lacing.

Smells of dark fruit, sour cherries and booze. The first taste lets you know you're in for a boozy ride, yet it's quite smooth. There are loads and loads of sweet malts that balance the alcohol or perhaps it's the other way around. It warms the belly all the way down. Sour cherries are trying to hide, but as the ale warms they are revealed. As far as I remember this is my first quad, and frankly my palate is having a little trouble relishing the super sweet malts and high alcohol. It's not off putting by any means, just something strong and different.

The mouth feel is rich and kinda thick yet carbonated, a really nice balance. I have another but I couldn't drink it right away. I think I'll age it for a year or so.

02/26/11
After drinking my second Three Philosophers I had to come back and increase my ratings. The balance of sweet malts, spice and alcohol is really impressive and delicious. I'll get this again very soon. I will also reach out and experiment with other quads.

3.54/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, it was cloudy red brown in color with a 2-3 finger massive tan head that was thick and foamy, and had tons of bubbles in it (the head) and faded very slowly; fast bubble carbonation raced up the beer and left very good lacing clinging to the glass. A very attractive beer to look at overall with a lot of sediment swirling around in it.

Smells of sweet malt, pepper, spices, caramel, syrup, coriander, yeast, cinnamon, herbs, mint and then some alcohol and slight funky-ness; a very nice overall aroma that has a mix of sweetness, spices and funky-ness.

Tastes of sweet malt, pepper, spices, herbs, caramel, yeast, cinnamon, floral hops, orange peel, coriander, flowers, hay, grass, light grapefruit, metallic funk, light brown sugar, grains, biscuit, moldy wet bread, dark fruits, a smoky barrel age essence and light alcohol; the cherry flavor was very light and less than advertised, but still a nice addition. It was complex and a little too malty, but the yeast and hop spices it some balance and hid the alcohol well enough to make this enjoyable. There is alcohol heat throughout this brew, so don't let the flavor fool you into thinking this won't mess you up.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and slick, with a medium body, light to almost no carbonation and an overall dense malty feel to it that lets you know it packs a kick.

Decent drinkability, it's not a session beer but it was very tasty. Dry bitter finish that was almost sour and left a pucker. Would definitely like to try this beer again, and even pair it with cheeses or food. iT was very good, but not great.

4.62/5  rDev +11.3%

This was my second experience with this fabulous beer.

A- Deep amber with a white head and good lacing

S- Cherries right up front followed by dark fruit, banana, and a bit of must.

T- Cherry, spice, dark fruit, must.

M- Medium

D- Quite. I'll have a second...or a third.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

08 vintage
Pours dark brown, hazy with a nice level of carbonation.
Immediately the cherries and the spicy belgian yeast is apparent. the head gives off a great aroma, i can tell this is gonna be tasty
heavy carbonation hits the tongue and slowly backs off to subtle cherry, leather, oak and earthy notes. very dry finish.
the alcohol is not really evident until way after you've finished your sip and a warming sensation comes over you.
the time i've let it sit in the cellar may have led to it's dryness which is really enjoyable and the subtle yet complex cherry flavors are really nice with the belgian yeast coming through.
this is my most successful attempt at cellaring.
it would be great with duck and its great with a good dark chocolate.

2.83/5  rDev -31.8%

This beer poured a dark hazy brown with a one finger high off-white head. The head dissipated quickly to a small ring of lace. The immediate smell of the beer was belgian yeast and some dark cherries. The initial taste of the beer was that of yeast, dark cherries, and some other slightly masked dark fruits. This taste is really hard to describe as I thought it initially tasted like bacteria infected beer. The brew had a full body with medium carbonation.

Overall, I was expecting way better. People seem to overly hype this beer for some reason, not just from reviews but from other people I know. This beer is the worst Ommegang offering that I have tried and I won't buy this one again.

3.25/5  rDev -21.7%

I was so excited to open this beer, because it's the first craft beer given to me by my mother. I knew my previous Ommegang feelings had been mixed, but sentimentality goes a long way, people!

The appearance is a standard dark belgian style with deep reddish amber hues, solid lacing, and without too much head on the initial pour. Doesn't hang on the glass too much, which for the abv is a small surprise. It smells of deep cherry, lots of sweet malts, and whatever hops are in there are mostly covered. As far as taste goes, that description follows. Although it says on the bottle that it's 98% ale and 2% cherries, you really taste the cherry. Almost too much. This one reminds me of Brooklyn Local 2. Similar style, similar appearance, similar taste. But Local 2 had somewhat of a better composition. Something in this just doesn't work. Plus it's boozy.

I capped this one to save the nice carbonation and in the hopes that I would drink it later to get the value of the bottle. But I haven't returned to it. It's just not that appealing. Sorry, Mom. Still love you!

3.72/5  rDev -10.4%

A-Pours a ruby amber with a fluffy tan head and good sticky lacing. Looks nice but a bit browner than I expect a quad to be.

S-Smells good though. Sweet plum, raisin and brown sugar with a fine Belgian sugariness and yeast character.

T-Nice. Sweet and full of dark fruit. There is maybe a bit too much black cherry for my liking and the flavor is not as full as I like in this style.

M-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated.

D-A pleasant drinking quad. I think that the slightly lower ABV, compared to the classics of the style may have an impact on my enjoyment overall. But this is quite easy on the palate.

HV

4.08/5  rDev -1.7%

Nice presentation dark reddish brown with a big head and great lacing.

Very light aroma of sweet malt and a hint of cherry.

Solid flavor. Good quad tastes with some caramel and light on the cherry. Glad since I'm not a fan of cherry. But, it didn't detract from the flavors at all.

Not too harsh or bitter on the palate. Great brew.

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

I have had this beer many times but this is my first review of it.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Ommegang chalice. Reddish brown with bubbles and some cloudiness as expected.

Smell of sweet malt,alcohol,cherries but subtle

Less sweet than the smell. A little sour,a little malt,a little cherry,a little alcohol- I love it

Very refreshing for such a flavorful strong beer. Not as thick a many others.

About as good as it gets from a balance standpoint- I enjoy warm as sipper or a bit more chilled as a drinker. It is also very predictable. Maybe being located relatively close to the brewery helps

4.19/5  rDev +1%

This beer is a great red brown with orange highlights.
Great lacing. Pored with 2 fingers of head that rapidly fell. Lacing all over my glass. Slightly cloudy from the sediment in the bottle.

The nose it very complex. Hints of vanilla, oak, cherry, and a touch of funk.

The alcohol is evident on the first sip. Malt upfront, followed by a touch of sweetness. No hop flavor at all. I can taste touches of oak. Slightly earthy. Mouth feel is smooth and full.

I would highly recommended this beer. It very complex and would par well with a strong blue cheese. I had this in a sniffer and a touch warmer than i would have cared for.

4.07/5  rDev -1.9%

2010 Vintage

A - Pours a hazy brown with a khaki colore head. No stick on the glass but the head remains throughout.

S - Bready malt then cherry sweetness from the kriek. Hints of wild yeast, probably brett leaves a touch of acidity in the nose

T - More bready malt but the hint of sweetness in the nose comes thru much more in the taste primarily in the back with a sweet finish. Much more of the spicy yeast and more of the funk than I was anticipating. Not terribly complex but more odd in that the malt back is there and what seems to be a great base beer but the blend makes this more like 2 beers mixed 50-50 in a pitcher.

M - Higly carbed but very full bodied. The sweetness sticks much more than I anticipated.

D - At 9.8% a very drinkable beer. A bit sweet for me, less complex than other quads I've had.

Overall a good beer and interesting beer but less complex than I was hoping for. Very sweet but interestinly funky

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%

A: Pours with a finger of tan head on top of a lighter brown body. It is somewhat clear.

S: Cherries and sweet malt. Caramel, and a touch of alcohol.

T: Slight caramel with a lot of dark fruits and cherries. The alcohol was present, but not in an offensive manner. Great beer.

M: Fuller body with perfect carbonation. Solid.

D: I maybe biased because I love this style, but this is a wonderful beer that I really enjoyed.

A - Dark and kind of plum colored with a thin whispy head. Some floaties hanging around in there as well.

S - The most overpowering smell at first was that of raisins, which gave way to more of a cherry aroma backed by a yeasty note

T - First swig was similar to sour cherries. Kind of like sour cherry candy, only less pucker factor. After the first few gulps, the sourness mellowed out quite a bit and left behind a rich, malty cherry taste that was reminiscent of cherry coke. Very well balanced with almost no alcohol presence despite the relatively high ABV.

M - Fairly well carbonated, a little creamy and fairly light on the tongue.

Quite enjoyable this one was. I'll pick this up for a diversion whenever I feel as if I need, well, diverted....

4.58/5  rDev +10.4%

Smell: Like walking into a brisk spring garden at dusk.

Appearance: A beautiful amber tone that filled my favorite stone drinking glass with a healthy head. Compliments the smell of the beer, if I dare say.

Taste: Exceptional. Smooth and strong with a hint of sweetness and fruit. Hits in two waves: a slight alcoholic assault followed by a blissful fruit overtone.

Overall Impression: One of the best tasting and most delightful beers that I have ever sampled. Best enjoyed in relatively small quantities with tasty food that compliments its refined and delicious taste.

A true personal favorite!

4.12/5  rDev -0.7%

2008 bottle drank on Christmas Day 2010.

Mahogany pour with a light tan head that left a few spots of lace as its settled to a film. Wondeful clarity. Sweet, spicy and yeasty nose. Lots of sweet cherry, baker's yeast, chocolate and a whiff of alcohol and spice. More or less spot on for the style and in the upper tier. Very decent quad flavour - sweet, bready grains, prominent spicy yeast. Hints of sour cherry and chocolate malt. Warming alcohol. Cherries not as prominent as I thought they'd be. The dregs of the bottle really add a whole new level to the brew and elevate it. Fairly full, sticky mouthfeel, with a great billowy carbonation.

Another spot-on Ommegang beer. I wouldn't say this one is in the same class as St. Bernardus, Westy or Rochefort, but its cetainly in the top 5 I've come across so far. Awesome stuff!

4.03/5  rDev -2.9%

12oz bottle

A - Seved in tulip glass. Cloudy orangish red/brown body. Two fingers of tan head.

S -- Tart cherries, alcohol, yeast and spices

T - Spices, alcohol, tart cherry

M - Medium. Seems to have an effervescent bite to it.

D - I've had this before and I think it's a wonderful beer. I think some age would make this beer even better.

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Cloudy deep red with brown hues thrown in the mix. Real thick, two-finger, white head and no visible carbonation.

S - Has a sour aroma to it with very light/subtle cherries. All this backed up by a yeast funk and light grains.

T - Cherries are definitely well used, not too over the top and not too tart to destroy the beer style. Yeast phenols yield a pleasant refreshing funk at the end.

M/D - Medium to light body, thought it would be heavier for the style, but has good use of carbonation. Finishes sour on the palate and the alcohol is nowhere to be found other than making you feel light on your feet after drinking a 750mL bottle. Sums up as really good flavor, easy to drink, and a great twist on a Quad.

4.36/5  rDev +5.1%

This was poured from a bottle into a glass, served chilled. The beer appears to be amber in color with a frosty head. Fruity sweet smell.

The taste is typical of quad style beers. Very high alcohol content. The taste has hints of cherry.

This beer is to be savored in smaller servings.

3.62/5  rDev -12.8%

This beer pours a deep brown color with a ruby tint when held under light. Thin, tan foam and little lace. The aroma is chocolate with hints of banana and toast. Well balanced. It's flavor is mainly chocolate with raisin notes and is again well balanced. The mouthfeel is full, smooth, and filling. While meant to be sipped it would be hard to drink more than one at a time. Ommegang Three Philosophers is a very good beer, highly recommended.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang