Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ommegang Three Philosophers ABV: 9.8

A: Once I poured this beer, I thought to myself "WOW" this beer looks great! Pours very smoothly and leaves about a one inch head. The color is a redish brown and looks very advertising.

S: Smells very sweet. Has a scent that smells like an assortment of fruits (Mainly Cherries). The smell also reminds me of wine. Of course you get a hit of the 9.8% alcohol in the nose.

T-M: Has a very strong kick to the taste. Can taste the assortment of fruits (cherries). Kind of get a earthy bitter taste in the transition into the aftertaste. Pretty malty at the beginning.

D: This beer is a pretty strong beer. I do like this beer; however, I would probably only drink a couple in one night. This beer would be a good starter beer for a pregame for a long night.

3.86/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a cloudy crimson mahogany color with a thick foamy head. The aroma is understated, but notes of yeast and a dry cherry sweetness are discernible. The flavor is more of the same with notes of dried cherries, Belgian yeast, and grapes. The flavor is not overly sweet with the big cherry presence, though, and it has a bit of tartness to contrast the sweetness. Not quite as big in flavor or body as I would expect from a Belgian-style quad, but an interesting, flavorful, and satisfying beer nonetheless.

4.63/5  rDev +11.8%

Man, this is an exceptional beer. It was love at first sip, might I add this isn't my first time having it. Poured this 2009 vintage from a 12 oz bottle into standard pint glass. One of the most beautiful heads I've come across, light tan and very fluffy and smooth. The head isn't going anywhere and leaves thick, heavy lacing. The color is a dark auburn, beautiful. The smell is full of cherries, can't go wrong w/ that in my book. The taste is very warm and sweet, filled with cherries. The alcohol is present w/ every sip and leaves a slight tasty burn. This beer is very creamy and smooth. Although the alcohol is very present, the drinkabilty is dangerously good. Must respect this one.

You can NEVER go wrong w/ Three Philosophers, one of my all-time faves. Recommended to anyone who enjoys well crafted beer. The best use of cherries in a beer that I've come across. The availabilty is nice too.

4.8/5  rDev +15.9%

poured from a 12oz bottle to a 24oz wide mouthed mug...

A - poured to a luscious 2 1/2 finger head, consistent lacing throughout. Color is dark, chocolate brown to cherry amber, truly a sight to see...

S - rich malts, caramel toffee, cherry, grassy and choppy

T - amazing rich deep and complex, really get the beautiful combination of cherry and toffee.

M - Smooth as silk, wonderful yeasty wheat bite

D - The taste allows you to drink it all day, but the 9.8% abv will definitely hold you back.

All in all an exceptional brew and one that on one should miss

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a dark mahogany color that is fairly murky. The head was thick and creamy.

It smells like it tastes, fairly sweet with strong cherry and fruit flavors. You can really taste the alcohol as well, but the sweetness cuts it well. It isn't sickeningly sweet.

This was delicious, and I highly recommend it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance - Pours a murky dark reddish brown color into my sniffer. About a finger of tan head is achieved with a moderate pour though it quickly recedes, leaving moderate lacing.

Smell - Dark fruits such as cherries (obviously), plums, raisins, and alcohol on the initial sniff. As it warms up spices and caramel become more prevalent.

Taste - Surprisingly this has quite a kick to it. Malty up front with a massive kick of cherry flavor though not in the "fake" sense. Honestly, it reminds me of Michigan cherries. A refreshing yet malty sensation oddly (for such a heavy and high abv beer). Also, heavy fig and raisin presence after the cherry flavor dissipates.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, decent carbonation (a bit low but fits the style) and a sweet finish.

Drinkability - I will no doubt seek this out again. I have been drinking this for the past forty five minutes or so and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Honestly, the cherry taste in it just makes my day. This is a great tasting quad and for a style I have not really enjoyed in the past, this has made me look highly upon Brewery Ommegang. Very drinkable for such a high abv and very enjoyable.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A: Hazy brown with a thick tan head.

S: Toffee and caramel, with wine-like aromas.

T: Sweet but crisp. caramel and mild cherry and a little of the alcohol showing through.

M: Medium body, crisp with somewhat high carbonation.

D: Smooth nice drinking ale. Even with higher alcohol it goes down well.

3.82/5  rDev -7.7%

Appearance - Darker than I thought it would be for a Belgian Style brew. Dark amber body with a very light tan foam head that fills the glass pretty thick. The lacing was also very "wet" for a Belgian style. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Aroma - Very robust smell, hint of fruit, cherry, and alcohol. I almost got a hint chocolate, although it's very subtle.

Taste - Very sweet for it's color and smell, cherry is noticeable as well as the strong alcohol taste. Almost bitter like a red wine. There was also a slight woodyness that lingers as it goes down.

Mouth - Much like a wine, this tasted a little dry as I sipped on it. Very full bodied flavor however. You can tell once you pour it by the color that it's going to be a heft beer. The after taste lingered for a while on my tongue. Again the bitter and woody flavors come out the most.

Drinkability - This is a very good beer that has a style of it's own as far as most other Belgian style beers I have had. The dark body and taste give it a very rich, full bodied flavor that lingers for a while. This is a good beer to sip on, but I'm not sure if it's something I could drink a whole bottle of in one sitting.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally picked up a 12 oz. bottle of this to try. I've had a 2008 750 mL in my closet for a while now and was wondering when a good time to crack it would be, so I figured this would at least give me some frame of reference. Review is from notes taken on 5/15/2010 and poured from the bottle to a tulip.

Appearance: Pour is a deep dark mahogany with ruby highlights; starts with a massive 3 finger light tan (cinnamon colored) head with solid retention that takes a while to fade; body is hard to see through, but it shows moderately strong carbonation; a nice, nearly full curtain of lacing is left behind.

Smell: Sweet Belgian-style candi malts with wonderful dark and rich spiciness; there are deep and dark fruits as well, like raisins, plums and figs; nice caramel maltiness and a bit of a tart cherry scent; at the end of whiff, there's a definite presence of an alcoholic vapor, but at 9.8%, this should be expected.

Taste: What a wonderful quad, and I'm sorry that I've waited this long to sample it. The tart cherries are definitely present, as well as deep, dark caramel malts with strong hints of chocolate and sweet dark fruits; nice Belgian yeast and spiciness (coriander); definite presence of alcohol; the bottle is from 2009, and I may give my '08 another year to let it mellow out a bit more, but even if I didn't, I'd still really enjoy it.

Mouthfeel: Body is of medium weight; a thick, moist and sticky coating hangs on the roof of the mouth; a warm drying vaporous air is left, leaving the cheeks tingly and the belly especially warm; carbonation is soft and smooth.

Drinkability: While I really enjoyed all the aspects about this beer, it sits a tad heavy and the higher ABV definitely made itself known by the end. I really think 12 oz. is a great serving size of this as it allows for moderate indulgence, so when I do crack my '08, it will HAVE to be in the presence of friends.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%

I'm a big fan of this brewery, but this particular offering falls a bit flat for me. There's something particularly cloying to me in the aftertaste. It claims a small percentage of cherry added, but I don't pick that up at all. I think some tartness or sourness could really perk up or balance the heavy malt character.

Granted, I don't know if "Quadruple" is even a real category, and if so, whether or not this fits the style. It's simply ok. The flagship and the Hennepin are far better.

4.5/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a cloudy amber brownish color with large off-white fluffy head and good lacing. lots of fizzy carbonation. smell a slight floral, fruity, hoppy smell. cherries are very apparent in the smell and taste. carmel nutty malt hints as well, very sweet. sour chalky and slightly bitter finish. medium body and creamy texture. fantastic beer i was very impressed with. waited a while to try this beer because it is available everywhere i go for beer. i will most definitely be purchasing this fantastic brew again in the near future.

4.14/5  rDev 0%

A- I almost couldn't believe how beautiful the color of this beer was. A very dark amber/maroon colors that looked so dark and mysterious, yet delicious, it made me want to dive right in. The head was nice and creamy with great lacing. This beer's appearance beckoned me to delve further...

S- Has a very warming smell with a deep sweet malty aroma. The most prominent distinction of smell though came from a very dry wine/cherry-like aroma that most likely came from the high alcohol and 2% kriek

T/M- Taste is very similar to smell but with much more alcohol than the nose alluded to, I was quite surprised actually. The malts come through in the full body with a very strong cherry flavor throughout the entire experience. The aftertaste settles from a cherry to an oak or other woody taste that subdues nicely and balances out the whole tongue and feel...

D- This beer is good, but I'm glad I shared this two others. I usually compare all categories of my reviews I can to other beers of the same style, but this is my first quad- so I must say, I'm not sure how this one should drink per the style. With that said, I would love to have again (quite often actually!) but will always make sure I have someone else to enjoy with me!

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

750ml bottle into a tulip.

A rich, dark colour. not quite opaque, with a typical Belgian style head and plenty of lace. The aroma is sweet and malty; there's a hint of the cherries within. It almost reminds me of my favourite cough syrup from when I was a kid, but nowhere near as medicinal. Taste is a little on the sweet side for my palate, but I'm sure that if I was pairing this with a dessert or some fine cheese I'd enjoy it a whole lot more. This is a very well made beer to be sure.

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

750 mL bottle tried 8 Dec 2009. Gift from L&D, thanks!

Served in a 0.4 L Steiner Pils snifter. Cork comes out with a big 'POP'! Thick full amber head, well carbonated, very effervescent. Dark russet brown color. Smells like brown suagr and tart cherries, but overall aroma is light. Starts with molasses and dried fruit, dates, prues. Finishes herbal, caramel and with a fair amount of heat from the ethanol. Light to medium body.

Would definitely get this one again.

3.7/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-2 finger head, didn't linger. Not much lacing either. I'm torn on this beer, overall. I had very high expectations based on what I've read a/b this brewery but I'm a little disappointed. The taste is good (cherries, raisins, warmth) but the booziness in the taste is just too prominent for me to really enjoy it. As others have mentioned, this one is definitely a sipper and best with food.

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Picked out one of my '09 bottles to review. Cork and caged, pours into chalice very dark brownish red, hazy with not much head and spotty lacing. Given, this was the initial pour, and it is slightly chilled.

This has a strange, sour smell, predominately cherry in nature. Surprising considering the 2% addition, but it is very pronounced. Too me, this has a hard liquor scent, very strong alcohol in the nose, though it is still slightly chilled. Who knows, this may calm itself as it warms a bit. We will see. Dark malts and cherries, slight bit of sugary sweetness also present in the nose, though it's overwhelmed by this hot alcohol nose.

Taste has that odd cherry front, followed by a nice, malt backbone. Not overly sweet on the palate, though a bit of sweetness can be detected on aftertaste. This sweetness seems to be washed away with the alcohol burn, shortly after consumption. Not a major burn, more like a gentle, warming of the stomach once it hits. Still, crazy how the 2% of cherries can add such a pronounced, cherry flavour to this brew. Not unpleaseant, if you like cherries, but may be a bit too much for some who are not used to the whole "cherry" thing. It is good, in my opinion.

Feel is very unlively. Not much carbonation to be had, and agitation of the brew does not seem to help much. Feels a bit flat on the palate, though it may just be my bottle. Still, this is smooth, not sticky or oily in the least, and a very easy drinker, if you can get past the up front cherry characteristics of the ale. Drinkability is slightly above the average for me, though I'll keep the rest of my bottles for evaluation further down the road. My opinion, if you see this one, give it a shot.

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

2009 12oz bottle into a tulip style glass in the late afternoon of a sunday. This was one of my 1st craft beers around eight years ago.

Hisss as the cap was pryed off, three philosophers pours out a mixture of muddy waters brown sprinkled with some red spots from the cherry addition. As the liquid reached 1/2 way up top a dark beige head exploded upwards looking beautiful. Straggely lace.

On first whiffs, it's apparent this quad was not made in Belgium, It's just not sweet enough for all that. There is a nice mixture of sweet malt, cherries, plums, chocolate, nuts and alcohol. This is a freshie so the alcohol I kinda expected. Seems to meld better with warming.

Im first greeted by a malt blast that's kinda sweet kinda caramele kinda whatever. After that the cherries poke their heads through giving off a cherry pie vibe. It's amazing the amount of cherries come through from just a 2% addition. A bit of chocolate but for some reason the residual sugar vibe I get out of foreign quads is lost altogether. 3P needs more sugar, preferably the turbinado kind.

Feels a bit thin for the style, I would say it's a healthy medium with a low amount of carb. Im used to low carbed quads so there is that. Small bursts of alcohol in spots depending how I swish it in the mouth, but no heat of any kind.

I think I know why I have not had this in awhile, it's just underwhelming in many area's andI remember those same thoughts from years ago. It's pretty drinkable but after 6oz's or so I was pretty much done with it. The bottle says this is ageable for up to five years, but I don't see this getting any better, it's just not that complex enough as it is.

2.82/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured a dark brown with reddish tint. Small off white head which left minimal lacing.

The aroma was of malt, cherry and alcohol.

The taste followed the smell, yet wasn't as satisfying. The cherries gave it a cloying sweetness which I found too much to take after less than half the bottle was gone.

The mouthfeel was nothing special. Somewhat thin and lifeless.

Overall I was quite disappointed in this beer. it seemed to be yet another example of a non Belgian brewer trying to make a Belgian style beer and coming up well short. I might try this again at some point, but won't be in any hurry.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

Picked this one up on a trip to Houston... poured it from the 22 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. It's a murky reddish brown color... creamy off-white head with great retention. Certainly looks good!

It smells of fruit... cherries and raisins primarily. There's a hint of floral note behind the fruit aromas. The taste is fruity as well... sweeter up front and slightly bitter towards the end. The alcohol presence is noted on the tongue slightly but not overpowering. A melon flavor comes out as well as some of the cherry flavors. One of the more wine-esque beers I've tried recently.

Not a bad beer at all, but far from my favorite Belgian quad style ale. Seems to be lacking a little malt balance in there.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

Had this today at University Pizzeria in Youngstown. I love this place. Poured in a Weizen Glass (I know, not optimum for this style, but that's what they had.)

A: Pours a translucent reddish-brown. About a three finger whitish head that lasts and lasts.

S: Malt and caramel, a touch of cherry. Could be stronger in the smell.

T: Cherries are the first thing I notice- not overly tart, not too sweet either. Caramel and malts follow. Cherries become even more prominent as the beer warms. Nice.

M: A little thin for a quad, probably due to the kriek blended in. Carbonation is good.

D: Obviously, if I hadn't had another 9+% beer before this one, it wouldn't have hit me so hard. Still, though, one big bottle will be plenty under most circumstances.

Yeah, I like this one.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

2008 bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance: Pours a dark burgundy / cherry color with a thick, off white head. Nearly opaque, but some bubbles visibly rise to the top of the glass. Decent head retention with some lace stick.

Smell: Dark fruits power the olfaction, primarily cherry. Surprisingly sugary malt on the nose as well. Alcohol is present, along with a slightly medicinal nature.

Taste: Caramel malt sweetness up front, quickly followed by sweet and tart cherries. Alcohol bursts through, and a tart cherry / medicinal flavor ends the sip. Alcohol lingers in the aftertaste. The 2008 is more mellow, with nearly no hop presence to note.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, a little bit creamy in the middle as well. It loses its carbonation as it warms, although the character becomes somewhat deeper. Warming.

Drinkability: A sipper. The tart cherry taste provides an interesting foil to the style. Aftertaste limits viability of having more than one or two. Probably better to have paired, than alone, as I did.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

75ml poured into a chalice

appearance is a deep mahogany brown with beige head that lasts

aroma - i'm picking up caramel, cherries, malt,

flavor - cherries, malt, caramel, tobacco

mouthfeel - good carbonation on this full bodied, smooth, sweet but not overwhelmingly so

drinkability - at nearly 10%, one bottle should suffice

3.6/5  rDev -13%

2009 poured into a tulip after 3 days at 40F.

Pour - Walnut brown with a deep ruby hue. Head is a yellowish brown, lacy and of medium thickness. Bubbles are tiny and head is smooth. Quick pour.

Nose - sweet, earthy aroma. kind of fruity and heavy alcohol.

Taste - crisp, clean wheatiness combines with a heavy berry flavor. Not much malt sweetness, but LOTS of fruit. Prolonged bitterness on the finish reminds me of a port wine or a peaty scotch. Very organic, very sweet, and a great hop.

Mouthfeel - smooth, sweet and very silky. Almost a creaminess to it. Aftertaste is mellow and inviting. A very good ale.

Drinkability - too sweet and fruity to be a session beer for me, and WAY too much alcohol. My whiskey days are over and this beer is a testament to why!

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

2009 bottle poured into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Opened like champagne - cork bounced off the ceiling! A rich, foamy, off-white head sits on top and retains very well thanks to some hefty carbonation. Body is cloudy and reddish brown, barely allowing light through. Each sip coats the wall in thick, frothy lacing, though that lacing doesn't have much staying power.

Smell: Tart cherries, doughy malts, and potpourri-like esters. Honeysuckel and some sort of mild citrus also peak through. Cinnamon? Not as complex as I had hoped. Still pleasant; very smooth.

Taste: Dough, lemon, white pepper, red currants, caramel, and earth. Finishes on a strong, cherry schnapps note. Lots of phenols in this on - dang! Not a huge fan of this beer, but it's certainly bold and interesting.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is fantastic: active but very soft; tons of minute bubbles caress the palate. Foamy when swished. Finishes very dry and warm, leaving a good deal of alcohol in the aftertaste.

Drinkability: This got better and better as time went on. I like fuller, more chocolaty quads better, but this was nice.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

On tap at the Pour House

Dark slightly reddish, with a slim tan head.

Smell is pretty solid, malty and a little fruity, couldn't detect much alcohol but I know it's there.

Taste is a moce blend of flavors which has quite a long finish. First thing I taste is like Molasses, followed by bourbon notes and then some fruit and slightly bitter towards the finish followed by BAM lots of alcohol.

Mouthfeel is much smoother than I expected, just a little tingly carbonation. Right down the middle neither heavy nor light.

Drinkability wise, the alcohol was hitting me a little too hard for me to want more than 1 additional serving.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang