Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (2009) into a snifter glass.

Appearance is brownish red with a one-finger head that slowly dissipates into a small cap.

Smell is of malts, cherries and a hint of spices making a pleasant and fairly sweet aroma.

Taste has a nice blend of cherries and spices with a fairly heavy malt backbone. A hint of oak in there as well. Overall a nice well blended and complex sweet flavor. A bit of the alcohol is found in the end as it warms.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation leaving a little bite on the tongue.

Drinkability is great! It goes down pretty easy and smooth. I wouldn't mind having a couple at a time but don't think I'd session it. It may not be the truest form of the style, but it is quite a tasty and well blended brew!

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

I'll have to review this beer based on what I like more than based on style. This is quite a departure from all of the traditional quads Ive had.

A- Big eggshell white head from what perhaps was an overly rough pour into my Unibroue tulip. :- Theres lots of lacing as it slowly subsides. The beer is a totally clouded ruby/brown color. Similar color to many barleywines I've had.

S- Cherry, malt, caramel, alcohol and some other fruits. Again, its nice but pretty un-quad-like, but thats the goal here.

T- This was too cold at first, I let it warm and had to bump up the score here a notch.That said, I think this beer is better with more of a chill on it that regular quads (I like my trappist quads really close to room temp). Im getting cherry,spice, some oakiness and alcohol similar to cognac.

M- Low, fluffy carbonation, medium body, slightly dry finish. This is some what of a sticky beer.

D- The ABV seems bigger than it is, making this a really nice, sweet, warming sipper. Its quite a nice beer, pretty creative.

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Served on tap into a tulip glass. Deep, rich amber color with a medium head. Smell had a lot of fruity undertones. Nice lacing on the glass. Good mouth presence; doesn't scream of the 9.8% ABV like some brews. Very drinkable beer for a casual evening out (well, anytime really). I have had Three Philosophers in bottle form several times.

I was very excited to have the opportunity to sample this on tap, as I currently reside half way across the country from Brewery Ommegang. I was not disappointed. I am a believer in Belgian style brews, and while Ommegang is not in Belgium, I believe they have represented the style well.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a very deep ruby color, with a solid 1" head that slowly dissipates. The beer is a bit on the cloudy side, not a clear ruby.

The smell is very malty, with a touch of fruit, and there is some spice there as well.

Taste is very much what I expect from this style, fruity and sweet, with a pronounced Belgian candy sugar flavor. There is raisin there, and a decent amount of malt. There is a bit of alcohol warming at the end as well.

Feel is nice and solid, nothing wimpy about this one. Maybe a touch thinner than others of this style, but still nice.

Considering the alcohol content and strength of the style, this is very drinkable. I could easily down more than one of these at a sitting, such a nice mix of flavors, makes me wish I had a lot more of this.

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle dated 2009.

A: Deep crimson hue with a cream colored head that is thick at first, and slowly settles to a few millimeters thick. Lacing is nice with good head retention.

S: Some cherry on the nose, but maltiness dominates, with aromas of caramel, fig, rasin and spice.

T: The cherry is definitely more present in the flavor of this beer, but the quad characteristics shine through. Spice, caramel, maple, some oakiness, and dried dark fruits make their way across the palate. The brew has a very nice drying hop finish.

Mouthfeel is decent, being medium to full-bodied, and quite viscous.

D: This beer is very drinkable, and makes a good sipper on these cold december nights. This beer may evolve nicely with a year or two of age.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

Presentation: Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml brown magnum. PKG ON 08/06/09 and BEST BY 08/2014.

A: Mahogany brownish-red with light tan head. Almost blood red when held to a light. Medium lacing.

S: Light medicinal/herbal/licorice in the aroma. Heavy malt sweetness.

T&M: Smooth within a full body. Mild cherry, but heavy licorice up front to an ending that is bitter cherry and alcohol. Thick sweetness of dark malts, nothing roasted. Bitter phenols balance well with the hops. Very herbal.

Very complex. I usually love cherry flavors, but this one is kind of odd. If you like dark belgian styles, this one may be for you.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

A rich and malty brew with a distinctive Kriek presence. A stately appearance with a quality head, retention, covering and lacing. A garnet brown and light cloudiness. A deep carmel aroma with cherries and light alcohol. Taste is a bigger version of the nose. Big caramel malt backbone supports a unique take on a quad. Kriek lambic notes fuse with the hops and create a one of a kind finish and balance. Multifaceted layers of flavor including some belgian spice notes. Some alcohol in the finish gives a wine like quality that is gently pushed away by the cherries and lambic tartness. An earthy, clean dryness in the finish as well. Malt lingers with light Begian spiciness. Fell is full and velvety a creamy carbonation is the "Cherry on Top". Easy drinking but you don't want to go to fast as the complexity calls for a long savoring with each swallow.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Hazy orange brown color with 2 fingers of creamy off white head. Left very thick lacing on the glass.

S: Clean pine, earthy smell with a nice hint of cherries.

T: Good strong cherry flavor mixed with hints of vanilla. Good flavor blends well with this belgian quad style beer.

M: Very creamy velvet feel blended the flavors together nicely.

D: Drinkability is good. Flavors are an interesting blend that keep you coming back for another.

Overall this is a solid beer. Interesting flavor combination mixes well together, very balanced and solid beer.

4.18/5  rDev +1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into the ommegang tulip

Appearance; Pours a dark red/brown semi opaque color with a nice 2 finger head and some lacing down the glass. Almost an amber brown that looks thick.

Smell: Smells like rich buttery caramel with chocolate laced through it. A nice dose of liquid cherries. Warm smelling and it has a sweet, chocolate covered cherry aroma.

Taste: tastes similar to the smell. Great complexity and dryness at the finish. Upfront sweet cherry attack. Mid palate is the chocolate caramel/toffee flavors with solid malts and a good bit of depth. Drying sensation at the backend.

Mouthfeel: A tad bit too carbonated for my palate. This would do very well at a much warmer temp I think, mine is out of the fridge witth 15 mins resting. Its got a smooth rich mouthfeel that is a bit sweet but good.

Drinkability: High abv, and a bit too sweet to make this a more than 1 bottle session in this size format. Great tasting and a super great winter beer for me.

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

A= pours a nice dark brown color. Completely opaque in my Duvel tulip glass. But there are some amber to solid red highlights on the edges of the glass. The head is a darker white color nearly what I would call mocha but not quite there. The head is a great 4 fingers high and leaves great lacing on the glass. The retention is good and lasts about one finger throughout the entire drink.
S= Cherries of course but theres a lot more than that. It really smells a lot like a chocolate covered cherry to me.... One of those ones you get around Easter time with the cream in the middle. There are a lot of apple notes in it as well with some dark fruit like plums and figs but they sit in the back seat to the nice Easter chocolate cherry smell. Almost perfumey smelling.
T= Werid. again it tastes like one of those Easter cherries with the chocolate and cream. There are the same notes that I smelled but they take the back seat. I don't know if they used real cherries in this but it tastes like they used the candy cherries you find on top if ice cream sundaes. Really unique for a quad and delicious none the less. I love the taste but it isn't regual Quad flavors by any stretch of the imagination. The dark fruits take the back seat in this one and still play a roll in balancing out the sweet candy cherry flavors. When I burp up some I notice how much cherry there really is in this. Delicious and well balanced between a quad and fruit beer.
M= Wet and coating. This one isn't a lick of dry. Instead it has a nice coating wet delicious feel.
D= solid. well balanced and smooth. A good sipper with some nice strong cheese or a solid meal. This one is really a great quad but not a beginners quad at all. This stretches what I would define as a quad but still has the same characteristics. Unique to say the least.

3.85/5  rDev -7%

A: Amber with ruddy hues and an ample, foamy off-white head.

S: Nutty, with hints of toffee, brown sugar, cacao powder, port, and lots and lots of warming alcohol.

T: Some dark fruits and a general nutty sweetness, followed by a very strong blast of phenols, some boozy sweetness, a medicinal hop flavor, and a diacetyl character.

M: Medium mouthfeel as it goes down that seems heavy as it settles into the gut. Carbonation is present but nothing special.

D: Decent domestic quad imitation which lacks all the niceties of a Belgian quad. I remember liking this one better the first time I tried it, but my opinion of it seems to have lessened purely based on the fact that I've tried a lot of other Belgian quads since then. Still, a solid brew.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

A-Pours a dark hazy red with a very abundant long lasting head.

S-Sweet smell with some wine type notes, dark fruits with an alcohol finish.

T-Cherry sweetness from the kriek is what hit me first although not overwhelming, nice malt character followed and finishes with a nice warmth.

M-Pretty heavy as one would expect a quad to be.

D-I think the alcohol could get to me after a while so I think drinkability would be about average.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

2007 vintage, reviewed at the back end of '09. 12oz bottle.

A. A rich and full, lacy and dense light brown head caps off this dingy, burgundy-brown beast. Pretty. Hmm, wasn't Dingy Brown Beast a Zappa album?

S. Arbitrator here mentioned "Cherry Pepsi" and he's not far off. The cherry here is more pronounced than I recall it being, and along with the alcohol heat gives it a cherry-brandy character. Further down, nuts, deeply singed sugars, toffee, and hints of cocoa swirl. Unusual, there is a sweetness present but it's complex and understated.

T. Either this has dried out a good bit in 2 years (likely) or the recipe has changed; either way this is a rewarding, if subtle and very-cherry beer. Big cherry notes up front, Robotussin, cherry Icee, that sort of thing. There's a meaty malt backbone that goes throughout, with chocolate and deep brown malt flavors popping out, evident alcohol (still), and a woodsy, dry-sweet flavor. It's warming and ultimately a bit soured by the cherry finish. The flavor is not particularly "Belgian", and lacks a certain memorable house character that the best Quads have, but this is still quite solid.

M / D. Fine, reserved carbonation, medium-full mouthfeel, finish is sour cherry and dry brown sugar booze. Rather enjoyable, I could have another 12 ounces of this...

Ultimately, I'm not sure that the aging helped this particular beer, but I quite clearly need to have it again fresh and compare. The not-quite real cherry seems much more prominent and the beer as a whole more dried out and a bit exhausted; that said, Three Philosophers is still on my short list of top American Quads.

2.88/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured out of the bottle into a Duvel type tulip. Foamy head gives way to thin slick of head. Smells like dark fruit and lots of alcohol. Slight fake cherry taste mixed other fruits. Maybe raisons. What stands out to me is the heat of the alcohol and the bitter finish. Taste smooths a bit as it rests/breathes. I didnt find this beer very enjoyable. I do not plan on purchasing it again.

2.48/5  rDev -40.1%

Chilled 750mL bottle into a glass. 2008 vintage.

A: Pours a slightly murky amber / maroon body in my 1L Hofbrau mug. The first pour is literally more than half foam, with a fluffy 5-finger-thick cap enveloping most of the mug. It retains for over a minute, crackling and snapping all the while, leaving a few wispy trails of lacing in its wake.

S: Cherry up front, but in that artificial manner of Wild Cherry Pepsi; spices, toast, figs, and herbs.

T: Yup, definitely Wild Cherry Pepsi. Not a solid example of cherry flavor, but it's there, nonetheless. Caramel, brown sugar, rummy figs, light spices (cloves), chocolate. Cherries linger well into the aftertaste.

M: Medium-full body with a chewy feel to it. Slightly on the sticky side, with the seemingly artificial cherry giving it a syrupy aftertaste. Well-disguised ABV.

D: I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, it's a pretty solid mid-range quad. On the other hand, a few more bucks will get me a MUCH better beer. The heft of this body (and relatively affordable price) makes me want to use this for food pairing or cooking, but for plain ol' drinking, I think I'll stick with something else.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

I was lucky enough to find a bottle of the cave aged version of this beer from 2006 at a local store where nobody seems to buy craft beer. Color is a dark ruby, and comes with a quick to fade white head. Nose is wonderfully fruity, with the cherries really shining. At the same time the booze comes in with some chocolate, caramel, and brandy notes, and really makes for a great smelling brew. Taste is really full of fruit and dark malt goodness. You can tell that the age on this beer has mellowed some of the flavors in a good way. Body is full, and although you can taste the alcohol, it is really tame, and in the end adds depth to the whole experience. This beer reminds me a little bit of Brandy Angel's Share from Lost Abbey. I could sip this beer all day every day. I have to admit that I rarely go for this beer; instead usually opting for Hennepin or Ommegang. I really wish they would release the cave aged beers more, as I think I can tell a difference. All in all this is a sensational brew that has multiple layers of complexity. I have had a lot of the to[p rated Quads out there, and this one still sits close to the top. Cheers

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a creamy 1/2 inch head. Strong lacing clings all the way down the glass while I'm drinking.

Mainly a delicate smell of cherries with a bit of yeast in the background.

Taste is pleasingly complex with the same interplay of yeastiness and cherry flavors joined by a light malt and a touch of bitterness at the back end. Medium mouthfeel with a touch of carbonation.

Quite a nice brew, and my first from Ommegang. I can't say I've ever had a quad with so many lambic elements, but it's a good uniqueness, and the fruit is prominent in the brew, without being saccharine, or overtaking all the other elements. Alcohol is well hidden too; it doesn't taste like a 9.8 ABV brew.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

2009 Vintage

Poured from bottle into Westmalle goblet. Nice thin, but creamy head. Reddish-brown in color. Definitely get an aroma of cherry, that also comes through faintly in the sip. Nice and smooth finish, exceptional.

Would buy again and would like to add one to storage for sure.

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

12oz. bottle (2008 vintage) poured into a chalice

A: hazy and brownish / dark red with some floaters. Thin, tan foam that settles into a ring with moderate surface coverage. A good amount of lacing forms on the glass with each sip, but settles back into the glass as it waits for me to take another.

S: raisins, cherries, and brown sugar. Maple syrup, a bit of clove and alcohol as it warms.

T: tastes of raisins, cherries, and a bit of milk chocolate, with the cherry and brown sugar taking prominent roles as I make my way to the bottom of the glass. Just the right amount of warming alcohol presents itself with each subsequent sip.

M: full bodied, smooth and creamy, with a light finish. Leaves an oily, puckering feel on the sides of the cheeks. A good balance of sweet and sour that really has my mouth salivating for another sip. Carbonation feels just about right.

D: a quality after dinner beer. Right about now I'm wishing I'd sliced up some gouda and a few pieces of dark chocolate- good thing I have a couple more of these so I can try out that combination. I think I'll even cellar one of my remaining bottles and see how this tastes another year from now, though I should also probably grab a 2009 vintage to compare a fresh one to the 2008.

4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

2008 bottle

Poured into smokestack glass

Pours about 1 finger of light tan head. Fades to a thin layer. Not a lot of lace. Color is a ruby copper brown.

Aroma: Fresh cherries, a lot of malts, dark dried fruits, caramel. Just a ton of malts going on here. A very nice aroma for a quad.

Taste: Cherries, malts, caramel, some heat. Very strong. Dark dried fruits. Earthy hops. Very nice, but very dry.

Mouthfeel: Mediudm, almost full bodied, decent amount of carbonation, a little low. Very smooth and creamy, a little hot. Ends with a touch of alcohol in the mouth.

OVerall, a very nice quad. Easy drinking. I loved the cherry flavors in this beer. I split this bottle, but I think I could drink this over the course of an hour or two.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This is a 2009 750ml bottle I got at a very reasonable price at my local liquor store as part of an Ommegang gift pack. Paired with a nice rare filet.

A: A deep, deep red/brown color; very clear, pouring with a good amount of head that quickly dies off. Nice lacing on the glass.

S: Rich and sweet, it reminds me of a tawny port. Raisin and prune notes.

T: A nice deep sweet taste, again, reminiscent of raisin and prune. The bottle mentions cherry/kriek, but I really can't notice it. A lot of "heat" from the alcohol is a little distracting, but such is the style of a quad. A nice touch of sour and bitterness.

M: Velvety smooth.

D: Take your time with this one, or share with a friend. The alcohol content forces you to take your time. This is a good thing.

Another hit from Ommegang.

4.88/5  rDev +17.9%

A - pours a deep ruddy brown with scarlet hues, 1 finger of slightly off-white bubbly head that recedes fairly quickly but maintains a nice layer of soapy foam that leaves some lacing
S - dark fruits, belgian yeast, alcohol, spices
T - dark cherries, belgian yeast, dates, alcohol, spices (ginger?), caramelized sugars, earthiness, toffee as it warms...wow
M - medium-bodied, sticky, nice moderate carbonation
D - this is a serious brew at 9.8 abv and is so easy to drink...I fell in love with this a long time ago and it's still great today. I could drink as many as it took for me to not be able to drink anymore...but I wouldn't ever do that because I respect beer....lol

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, dark brown in color, cloudy

Smell: milk chocolate and cherry

Taste: milk chocolate and cherry, other dark fruits, some funk

Mouthfeel: medium high carbonation, smooth, sweet, and prickly

Drinkability: My favorite from the brewery so far. It made me think I was drinking a cherry cordial with a bit of funk. I could have several if not for the high abv. Glad I bought the bomber.

4.85/5  rDev +17.1%

Ommefest on tap. I've ever only had this on tap but can't wait to open my 07 at home. Pours dark with a malty cheery chocolate nose and follows straight up on the pallet. Very complex and a great desert beer with dark chocolates. It's one of those beers I can't wait to see in 5 years. So damn great, my favorite ommegang.

4.65/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a cloudy reddish mahogany color that produced a thick and billowy orange-ish tan head that dissipated quickly.

(S)- Ripe fruits; primarily cherries. A rich banana breadiness with clay.

(T)- Rich banana biscuits up front with some dark grape-like fruits. Finishes with tart, almost sour cherries & more banana biscuity-ness Earthy, yet fruity.

(M)- Great carbonation level that fizzes to life on the tongue. A great balance & complexity. That small % of Kriek added really makes this interesting with its sour finish.

(D)- A great quad that is made even better by the addition of Kriek. Crisp & refreshing with that sour bite just at the end. Great stuff.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang