Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
czechsaaz

2.65/5  rDev -36%

Aroma is borwn sugary with a bit of sour notes. The cherry aroma is very apparent but there's other yeasty fruit fementation esters too.

Nice garnett/ruby colored, very attractive looking. Big tan head fades quickly but leaves a lasting thin layer.

Kind of treacle flavored malt with pretty stron alcohol flavor. There's some cherry flavor but it seems artificial and doens't really blend well with the other characters. There's some darker malt complexity but there's also a saccrine like sweetness. Flavor is a bit medicinal from the saccrine and what I pick up as cherry extract and not the real deal.

Full bodied and pretty warming in the stomach from the alcohol level.

I guess I'm not the only voice of dissent on this one. I have a hard time getting through a glass of this since I find the blend not very interesting. I'd be more interested in the straight beer from Ommegang.

04-22-2006 05:19:23 | More by czechsaaz
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

3.13/5  rDev -24.4%

I had a chance to try this last night. I had a 2004 mid June last year and was not impressed. this one was a non-corked style 16 oz bottle so I thought I'd revisit given time and the new packaging.

A - Ruby black with a high level of carbonation. Takes a while but the head dissipates with very little lacing.

S - I hate to say it, but cherry cough syrup but a shade less sweet. Definite alcohol presence.

T- Similar to how it smells. Medicinal with some slight cherry notes.

M - not quite syrupy but close to cloying. This is a thick brew which is not necessarily a bad thing but this time it didn't work for me.

D - A sipping beer. I think the smaller packaging is great because 750ml is too much for one person in a sitting IMO.

I think this is a love it or hate it brew. I like many of Ommegang's products but this one will not be on my buy list.

04-21-2006 13:07:43 | More by barleywinebrewer
TheBungyo

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a color I can only describe as auburn. Not much head to speak of but what there is, is colored off white. Nose is full of buttery cherries. Taste is a bit of butterscotch followed by mellow cherry. There's very little tartness. Some about the flavor doesn't gel though. Something seems missing. It isn't bad but I don't find it very pleasing for some reason. Mouth is luscious, thick and creamy. Drinkability is so-so. Its good, but not something I feel the need to follow with another glass. Something tells me that this might be more pleasing with an older bottle. I'll buy one and re-review an older sample.

04-17-2006 07:27:45 | More by TheBungyo
twofattires

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

750 ml bottle, said it was brewed in 2005. It drank it out of a wine glass.

Appearance: It pours a nice creamy mahogany, with a hint of red when held up to the light. The head is a creamy brown that sticks around pretty well for such a high ABV brew.

Smell: You can smell the alcohol fairly well, as well as some nice malty scents, almost bread-like, and just a hint of the cherry lambic that's in the beer.

Taste: This is quite a powerful and complex beer. More complex than my palate is able to translate. That doesn't mean I didn't like it though. It's got a nice malty flavor, and it seems that (predictably) I tasted most of what I smelled. It's got a nice bready, malty taste, with just a hint of the cherry lambic. It's not a syrupy cherry taste at all. Very classy. At first sip it's very drinkable, not seeming at all like it's ABV would suggest. The finish is a nice, dry and warm, which balances nicely with the slight sweetness.

Notes: This is absolutely a big beer, and not something I'd want to drink too much of. I don't see myself buying this often, but I think it would make a nice "special occasion" beer, or a nice subsititute for red wine.

04-17-2006 05:11:19 | More by twofattires
TheDeuce

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

Pours a frothy white head on top of a deep dark mahogany, VERY ACTIVE CARBONATION, sweet lord this beer is crackling at me.

Smell is of alcohol, deep dark fruity undertones though, cherries abound (similar in this way to Mad Elf) I also detect some hops and malt but not enough to cut through the fruit and alcohol.

Taste-cherries up front, fruity undertones come alive here with mild traces of apple, banana, and even grape for me (not sure if that is correct) followed by a massive alcohol onslaught, this thing doesn't wait to kick as soon as it falls down your throat you feel it.

Mouthfeel is ok, heavy and thick but the alcohol is not hidden, still the fruit does help it out, that kick is wicked though.

Drinkability- a good belgian brew, a sipping beer like any quadrupel, could do without the kick but the fruit flavor is dominant as well making this quite enjoyable.

Overall-yikes, massive beer with lots of flavor but loads of alcohol kick as well, still definitely worth trying, I'd be interested to see what it would have tasted like on its own without the cherry lambic added, but still this is an interesting combonation brew and definitely worth trying. Ommegang really has their shit together.

04-17-2006 00:09:31 | More by TheDeuce
tastybeer

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Dark foggy purple black in color. Nice white dense creamy head and great retention. Aroma is of mouth watering juicy plums and cherries with sweet yeast, caramel, mocha, and molasis. Taste is full of flavor. Nice and thick too. Chocolate covered cherry syrup, plum, grape and probably some awesome. The lush velvety texture takes control of your mouth. Nice bitter cherry-like finish. Real yummy.

I'm glad I finally picked this up and I will definitely get it again.

04-15-2006 02:48:52 | More by tastybeer
wedge

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

2005 - Poured from a 750ml.

Foggy reddish-brown with a large frothy tan head that leaves some nice lacing. Estery dark fruit aroma (raisins and cherries) with some phenols - smooth light yeastiness and spice - pleasantly complex and sweet. Big, thick, and smooth in the mouth - rich sweet malts, more dark fruits...mmm...chocolate covered cherries. Creamy and a bit warming.

Another very well crafted belgian-style from Ommegang. So rich and substantial...a truly awesome beer.

04-15-2006 02:27:55 | More by wedge
soulgrowl

United Kingdom (England)

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: Very attractive, dark cherry brunette with a tall, stocky, pale yellow head.

Smell: It's amazing what a difference glassware makes. I poured this into a pilsener glass first, just for kicks, and the aroma was bizarre; very earthy, full of glutamates and allspice, remniscent of a Chinese restaurant. I transferred it to a snifter, where it became quite luscious, full of cherries, banana, Scotch whisky, toffee, amaretto, bay leaves, and caramel malts that border on chocolate.

Taste: Subdued pie-like cherries, tangy yeast, spicy hops, smooth caramel malts. Good stuff.

Mouthfeel: Raw alcohol and hops make this a little rough on the palate. Plus, it's on the thin side and not very chewy. I'd love to try it after a year in the cellar.

Drinkability: Excellent flavor, but quite alcoholic. I'll have no problem finishing the bottle but that will probably be it for me.

04-13-2006 04:46:33 | More by soulgrowl
mcowgill

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%

The Ommegang beers were among the first I drank when I began to explore the world of craft beer. I'm finally getting around to reviewing this. It pours a beautiful clear reddish amber with an offwhite head. It looks to be very carbonated. I can smell the Belgian yeast quality along with raisins and cherries. It seems like a very complex beer...and wow, it is. It's a creamy, full bodied beer with a great spicy quality and a caramel sweetness. It's pretty drinkable considering the ABV and complexity. I will be sure to savor this.

04-10-2006 23:27:09 | More by mcowgill
fingolfin72

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

I've enjoyed this from the bottle before, but I was quite happy to see it on draft at the Sawmill Taproom.

The beer is a nice mahogany with a fine, off-white head.

It smells delightful- spice, malt, toast, nuts, cherries and sugar.

This is a beer with a lot going on, but nothing is over the top. The balance is good- nice, malty body, a spicy/hoppy/mineral backbone, and, best of all, a restrained, tart, pure cherry essence. There is some alcohol there as well, but not out of proportion. It is delicious and drinkable, but the complexity slows one down a bit, in a good way.

A good fireside sipper, but don't let that stop you from drinking it year round.

04-10-2006 16:56:54 | More by fingolfin72
lpayette

Vermont

$3.49 for a single 12oz bottle, Winooski Beverage- behind the counter in the liqour section (a great find- didn't realize that they sold a few beers over 8% until I stumbled across them. I usually steer clear of that section of the store).

Appearance- Mohogany- nice red highlights. Big frothy head (surprised me) with good amount of brussels lace.

Smell- Strong banana and other fruit flavors (cherry maybe). Some musty notes that for me add to the appeal making it seem well-aged somehow. The label also looks pretty classical, so the mustiness is right at home. Some near earthy smells.

Taste and Mouthfeel- Strong banana and other fruity flavors again. Alcohol is perceptable but plays a background role. Malt is quite prevalent. Smooth mouthfeel with some light tingling sensations. Definitely a sipping brew. A good treat every now in then when looking for something strong.

04-08-2006 06:00:39 | More by lpayette
EStreet20

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

I've been intrigued by this beer in stores since my "Belgian craze" last year when I first got into craft beer. However I never got around to picking it up as I was busy trying all the beers from Belgium IE Trappist etc. I haven't been as crazy about Ommegang's brews as many but I'll still give em a chance because I love the fact that a brewery here in the US has the guts to go after the styles from one of THE great brewing countries in the world.

750 ml bottle poured into a Chimay chalice.

A - What a look. A reddish brown that really looks a translucent ruby red when held to light with a nice off white head sitting atop.

S - A lot coming at you on the nose. That Belgian yeasty smell leads but that cherry smell from the lambic blend, along with a caramelly sweet malt is kicking around on the nose. Very complez aromas.

T - In the taste I;m getting a lot of yeastiness along with the cherry taste coming through. Much tarter cherry taste than I expected. The alcohol tinges as well and the brew also has a spiciness that won't quit. Also a bit of a smoky flavor towar dthe finish/aftertaste. Nice overall.

M - A very chewy full bodied brew. Feels nice in the mouth.

D - A ton of complexity here, makes you want to sip and analyze. Only complaint is I;m picking up a tiny metallic tinge that I;ve noticed in all Ommegang brews, however here it's masked and/or blended with so many other flavors that it's opk with me.

04-07-2006 00:21:36 | More by EStreet20
mattcrill

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

Aroma: Fruity esters that remind you of cherries, plums, and raisins. A bit of yeast spiciness and clove notes also brush the nose.

Appearance: A deep cloudy copper-brown pour with a thick and creamy looking head. The retention is beautiful.

Flavor: A cherry sourness on the palate and first that lends itself to a sweeter middle and a drying slightly phenolic finish. There are peppery notes throughout and the cherry essence keeps coming back. It doesn't dominate but it's noticeable and quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, a warming alcohol presence, and a slightly astringent feel (probably from the cherries).

Overall impression: A sipper that should be enjoyed. Amazing complexity. The alcohol was a little too prominent and took away some of the enjoyment for me. Nicely done. A good choice for my 400th formal BA review.

04-01-2006 21:45:46 | More by mattcrill
bennetj17

Arizona

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

Dark ruby color that glows in the light, fairly hazy. Thin head disappears rapidly into a frothy ring. The aroma has light notes of fruity sweet malt, perhaps raspberry or cherry, with a slight nuttiness. The is initially cinnamon sweet malt, becoming more fruity with winey and cherry notes. The finish is fairly unremarkable, with the strong alcohol showing itself a bit. Mouthfeel is slightly thin, but nice and bubbly. Decent drinkability, needs more finish to round it out, also a bit alcoholic...

04-01-2006 06:01:21 | More by bennetj17
tom444

3.85/5  rDev -7%

750mL bottle w/ cork.

Pours a deep brown with a heavy tan head.

Initial aroma is of a malty sweetness, with some citrusy and spicy notes, and a bit of bourbon-like alcohol.

Thick, creamy mouthfeel, light carbonation. Plenty of dark malt flavor, with some herbal and medicinal notes and just a little bit of hop bitterness. Some warming alcohol on the finish.

03-26-2006 04:16:58 | More by tom444
MagicLantern

3.55/5  rDev -14.3%

Poured into a Snifter.

A: Heavy taupe head settles to a 1/4" lace that clings to edges of glass. Notes don't tell me how the head settles at the center of the glass, a second review will correct this oversite. Caramel brown darkening towards center. So thick, only translucent at edges of glass, though couldn't see my fingers even at the edge of glass. Darkness of beer prevents one from seeing carbonation.

A great looking quad.

S: Cherry! A malty smell with carmel and spice. Cherry is very clear and overpowering. It's appetizing and inviting.

T: Malt and carmel combine to make this a slight coffeesque tasted with an overpowering cherry lambic on top. While the carbonation isn't easily seen, it's evident in the taste mixing with the spice to give this beer a slight bite. No alchohol taste, or at least very well hidden.

M: This is a smooth beer, that ends with a carbonated bitter bite, followed by the cherry lambic. The cherry is incredibly strong and nearly overpowering. It's almost two seperate beers in one. Tasting it is pleasant, but the swallow changes the beer to an bitter cherry end. It's kind of tough until one gets use to it.

Drinkability: This is a hard one. I am not a fan of Cherry. I take them off my ice cream and shakes. Having said that, I've been told this a great brew and I wanted to try it. I think I've been fair in my review overcoming my dislike of Cherry. I'm new to reviewing beers and I haven't always been certain what lambic is. This beer made it very clear to me. I immediately realized 'that's the cherry lambic!"
I personally found the cherry incredibly strong and it made it hard for me to drink this quad. Having said this I love quads and continued through. As I got use to it, it became easier to drink. Having said that, I did toss out my drink rather than finish it.

I want to be fair so I'm going to get another and try it. I want to overcome my aversion of cherry, but it's unlikely that I would ever drink this regularly. Because of the cherry, perhaps I'd open one at a celebration, a party with good friends or something. If you like Cherry dig in. If you don't like Cherry avoid. Finally I'm told the pleasant flavor and I enjoy at the beginning and the unpleasant cherry that finishes the brew 'merge' if this is aged. I am definetly going to age a bottle to find out and see if this improves over time. I'm also going to review this beer to make sure I've been fair to it.

03-25-2006 21:05:01 | More by MagicLantern
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

This is a wonderful beer. I enjoyed it as a cordial towards the end of the evening. Ended up capping it with a cleaver capping device, and was able to enjoy it the following day. I had been off Belgian for a while; they seemed to overpowering, this was a "subtle" reminder of what powers be held within these beers.

A wonderful rich body, glowing with caramel and vanilla flavors. Topped of by a very thick head. Almost like a soda float of some type. Alcohol everywhere in this one, listed @ 9.8, but hits like a 14+. A little hard to get through the bottle. Ended up with quite a hangover from not consuming that much.

03-24-2006 16:02:18 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
shroompod

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

750ml corked bottle dated 2005

Pours with a good head ,tan carbonation lasts until beer is gone from pint glass.A healthy reddish brown glow.

Smell is very unique. Sweet , grassy. No hop notes , but the cherry is evident.

Taste has a sweet/sour lambic balance , normally handled by sweet/bitter hops. Hops do come through slightly on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick , syrupy , very highly carbonated.

Drinkabitly of this 10%'er is pretty good.

I was hesitant to try this with cherry-lambic added, but overall found it refreshing. This is another beer I'll revisit in a few years after it has aged.

03-24-2006 01:12:01 | More by shroompod
petemoss14

Germany

4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

750ml corked bottle.

Pours a dark mahogany with a fluffy tan head, that laces nicely down and around the goblet.

Aroma of dark cherry syrup, caramel and brown sugar, some figginess. Fruity alcohol esters.

Dark fruity dusted lightly with cocao on the palate. Juicy cherries through the middle. Almost citric tartness in the semi-dry finish.

Smooth and hugely carbonated -- belch inducingly so. A unique and complex offering from Ommegang. And a great deal for $6.99 a bottle.

03-19-2006 20:10:31 | More by petemoss14
3Vandoo

Quebec (Canada)

3.75/5  rDev -9.4%

Dark burgundy beer with a shy head retention

smell is malty with a caramel feeling that is nicely balanced

Taste is alcohol at first, then caramel with a fruity touch that ends with a sherry like flavours that come and complete the ensemble.

not bad, but I espected more

03-18-2006 07:44:41 | More by 3Vandoo
Wasatch

Utah

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A - This is a 2004 edition. Pours a dark red/brown color, nice carbonation, huge tan head which lasts a long time, awesome lacing throughout.

S - Scents of sweet malts, cherries, and caramel.

T - The taste is tangy and with a nice sweet after taste. Alcohol content is hidden well.

M - Medium body. This brew is well rounded with a slight carbonated feel in the mouth.

D - Very drinkable. Would recommend and buy again.

03-12-2006 20:18:00 | More by Wasatch
scottoale

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Brewed in 2005, nice corked 750ml. brown bottle. Uncork and slow pour a dark copper-mahogany ale that yields a billowing tan, frothy head that lasts till the finish. The carbonation is lively which keeps growing, tons of thick lacing as well.

First off the nose is cherries, sweet candied cherry with some caramel, cranberry and malt after notes. Very fruity and floral. Very intriguing to say the least.

Rich malty, cherry flavor with a velvety, somewhat chewy consistency fills your mouth...quite savory. Tantilizing the tastebuds all the while, down it with the finish, a bit tart and tangy as well as warming. This stuff has a complexity that's almost overwelming. It just leads you wanting more.

Mouthfeel is great with the full body and superb carbonation that this true to style ale is loaded with. It's the kind of beer that you must drink slowly to appriciate it's abundant qualities (and it's potency) yet the taste keeps you wanting more. Damn good stuff...Cheers !

03-11-2006 22:01:37 | More by scottoale
Birdiebeagle

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

750 ml bottle Pours a cloudy dark amber brown with a good fizzy light brown head. Very good lacing on the glass, head diminshed in average time. Aroma is of carmel and cherries. Taste has good carbonation. The sweetness blended nicely. It doesn’t overpower the beer. Has an astringent aftertaste, but a short finish. Has a sherry wine like flavor. The correct glass will help you appriciate this one. I got it in a gift pack that came with it.

03-06-2006 15:09:22 | More by Birdiebeagle
daliandragon

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

I love the name and design of this beer. I picked one up a few weeks ago and invited two old friends over hoping we could drink it and emulate the name. Instead one friend got wasted on two Warsteiners and the other brought his girlfriend who talked all night while they both drank all my beer. Oh well.
Dark, attractive color with a ruby tinge and a thick head that eventually dissipates to a cap. Nose is thick with chocolate malt and alcohol and has a spicy, heavy, aroma.
Dark and rich taste that hides the alcohol as well as it can, but 9.8% cannot be completely hidden, methinks. This beer compares favorably with most other dark Belgians I've tried. I taste the lambic and think it mellows the taste but the malt and the depth of texture is what defines this brew for me. If you like Belgian style beer, you'll almost indubitably enjoy this offering from Ommegang.

03-05-2006 04:53:52 | More by daliandragon
Prufrock

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

25.6 oz. corked and caged bottle poured into a goblet.

medium amber brown that shines pure ruby against the light. fairly clear with a fizzy carbonation and half an inch of noisy tan head that bubbles and falls quickly.

dark cherries and caramel in the nose, just like the label says. also has some belgian yeast, champagne-like dry aromas, and a little cidery tartness.

very smooth and light with high carbonation. sour and earthy with bitter cherries, a touch of plummy caramel sweetness and a dry alcoholic finish. complex and subtle; a nice quiet beer to sip and enjoy. this one would definitely age well.

03-03-2006 05:05:01 | More by Prufrock