Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle, 2005. Drank half the bottle the night before last, made the mistake of serving it too cold. First impression was not good, not pleasant at all. Drank the rest last night, served at about 60, much, much better. Cherry aroma. Flavor was a wonderful mix of cherry, chocolate and berrys. Very warming. Excellent !!!

sirpsycho, Oct 06, 2007
4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Color is a beautiful reddish-brown. When I first popped open the bottle, the aroma was very strong and malty with an alcohol nip - it said "Drink me!" very clearly. Flavor is rich, mainly malty with some hop bitterness and hints of cherry and caramel with just a touch of sweetness. Smooth and mouth-filling, this is one delightful ale.

Cyberkedi, Sep 29, 2007
3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer I tried for the first time at my tasting club's 'Belgian Night.' I remarked that it tasted like root beer a little, with a little bit of cherries. It is soda-ish, and I appreciated its effervescent qualities, as the alcohol content is so high. A quad would be a beer I can't handle well, so I had about two shot glasses worth. I would drink this again, in a small glass nonetheless, but I am proud of myself for at least trying different and bigger Belgian beers .

roan22, Sep 27, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Serving Type: 750ml bottle

Appearance: Pours a lovely VERY dark red(almost dark brown)w/ a lovely 1 finger head that lingered the whole time and plenty of lacing

Smell: Slight mint, a touch of alcohol, malt sweetness, caramel, sweet dried cherries. The smell gets better as it warms up

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy the entire time, thick sweet malt flavour and dark fruit(cherries) NO roasted taste. A lot of herbal flavour as well, slight warming alcohol toward the end and some spice mixed in. Very enjoyable

Drinkability: A very enjoyable beer but w/ out a doubt this is a sipping beer. Goes well w/ a lot of different food.

livingregret, Sep 27, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -1%

750ml bottle (2007) purchased for $6.99 on 9-24-7 at Cedar Hills New Seasons.

Pours a dark ruby-ish brown color with a sizable loosely packed tan head that steadily collapses on itself leaving splotches of lacing in its wake. The aroma is unique. Very complex and difficult to pick out individual scents. Dark fruits, cherries, fresh cut wood, yeast and caramel meld nicely. The taste was surprising and almost offensive at first. But it finishes cleanly and I find myself quickly going back for more. There's so much going on with this beer that I'm having a hard time dissecting it. The alcohol is hiding backstage waiting for the final act to reveal itself. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, yet there is plenty of prickly carbonation. This is a good beer that I will surely revisit. I'll likely grab another bottle or two and forget about them for a few years to see what happens.

jakon, Sep 26, 2007

Appearance shows a rich dark brown with a strong thick head. Smell of dried cherries and sweet malt. Taste has the sweet tartness of dried cherries with spice and a slice of bread. Mouthfeel has full body to it with a good carbonation. My 1st full taste of a quad, I'd like to try others to make a comparison, but it's not bad. Makes me want a cigar.

Bookseeb, Sep 26, 2007

Poured into an oversized wine glass - what can I say, it looked like a quadrupel, no question. Head was nice at first, fizzled quickly.

Smell was very good, especially as it became warmer. Lots of caramel malt, but also sweet cherries. The addition of cherry lambic has done this beer well.

It tastes like a quadrupel....vinous, lots of sticky caramel malts, somewhat flat mouthfeel (which I'm never all that fond of...I wish quads could be more prickly somehow)...but again, the addition of the slightly sour cherry keeps this from being a garden-variety quad.

I don't drink quads often, but this probably just became my favorite. Of course, I have a St. Bernardus waiting to be sampled...but based on what I've tasted of Ommegang's other brews, they truly know how to do a Belgian-style beer. And you can't beat the ridiculously low price.

A very good dinner-party beer that won't burn a hole in your wallet. Yet another beer you can safely hand to your wine-drinking friends.

Patrick999, Sep 15, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

2007 750 ml corked bottle poured in a chalice.
Pour revealed a castaneous body with a foamy coffee colored head that steadily dissipated, mild lacing through out the glass.
Smell was strong, full of nuts,spices,fruit and alcohol, overall nice pleasant complex aroma.
Taste was strong as well, this is a sipping brew. Light cherries & sweet mild malts masked the alcohol flavor well, but the warm feeling gave away the abv. Nice warm , bready taste with an arrangement of varying spices, and a real mild fruitiness which I prefer.
Mouthfeel was a nice medium body, with a warm alcohol feeling. This is a strong brew, one is a enough for one evening.
Overall this is a good, interesting and complex brew that seems to balance all the contrasting flavors well, definitely worth having on a crisp fall evening.

KevinB, Sep 15, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep amber-brown, opaque, with a finger of tan head that dissolves fairly quickly. Solid lacing. Nose os crazy strong toffee malt, lots of spiciness too, and light dried fruit. Taste is similar, lots of toffee malt, some alcohol presence (although it's fairly well covered for a near-10% ABV). Cotton candy, dried fruit, and a touch of licorice. A light hit of hops at the back end. Body is full and creamy with fairly low carbonation, although it works here nicely. I liked this one a lot, although it's not quite in the same league as some of the really mind-blowing quads out there. For the price ($3 for a 12 oz), I'd go back for more any day.

soupyman10, Sep 12, 2007

The last of the 12oz. bottles I purchased at the brewery during Belgium Comes to Cooperstown.

Into an Ommegang goblet it goes (also purchased at the brewery.) It has an almost opaque body of rich mahogany and maroon hints. The tan head thins out swiftly.

Scent of cherries, with a malty, chocolaty hint.

On the tongue there's cherries, some milk chocolate, and to my surprise, a small hint of mint. There’s just the slightest hint of bitterness and alcohol on the finish. But wow, I dig this.

It's not filling really. It has the mouthfeel of say, vermouth but not nearly as alcoholic.

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, this one is one of my favorites.

joeskirkie, Sep 11, 2007
4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Red with accents of Brown.

Aroma: I didn't notice cherries specifically but fruitness prevailed nonetheless

Taste: Smooth and mature textured without overabundance of sweetness. The cherries appear to have taken off some of the bite of the unassuming appx 10% abv brew. Should hve let is warm up a bit, could tell there was alot left back with colder glass

M; Creamy and easy to quaf down with minor acidity towards the end.

D: Moderately easy to put down but not one to quench your thirst but rather to smell the roses over.

Brianmerrilyn, Sep 10, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

I poured a corked and caged 750 ml bottle into a challis.

A: Deep amber red. The head is creamy and beige colored. The fluffy abundant head held on deep into the experience and formed a healthy lace down the side of the glass.

S: The aroma was dominated by the abundant sweetness of the malts and the fruity odor of cherries. As the beer settled the sweetness was complemented by an earthy aroma and the fruity odors turned to more of reminiscent of plums.

T: Sweet and malty but more bitter than I expected. It finishes with the flavor of cherries that reminds me of children’s cough medicine. There is a surprisingly dryness to the finish that leaves an unpleasant sour aftertaste.

M: Moderately filling, warming, and fruity in the mouth. The carbonation was spot on…not too dominate but sufficient to refresh.

D: This is a one and out beer meant to be an after dinner drink that one can linger over as the evening progresses. It’s a fine sipping beer. However, a second one would be too much for a single drinking session.

Comments: A very likeable beer. I have added it to my list of quads worth having and sharing with friends.

dnichols, Sep 09, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

They recently brought this beer back to Texas, but this is a bottle that I have had in my closet since before it was here. It is about a year old 2006 version when trying it.

Appearance: Pours a pretty hazy chestnut color with a bit of a Burgundy hue. There was a thick 1/2" of tan foam at first that was made of small bubbles. The bubbles fall back into the beer within a minute or so to end up as a small island of bubbles on top of the beer to last for some time. There are quite a few bubbles rising to maintain the island.

Aroma: I initially get a good bit of cherries along with a dark caramel aromatic that gives way to an almost woody impression. I can pick up a very faint amount of hops in here that comes across to me as grassy more than anything. The beer gets a lot more toasty as it warms.

Taste: This beer is a whole lot bigger in the flavor than I suspected from the aroma. It was so much that my palate got confused. I know that there was huge sweet caramel malt in here as a backbone. This is masked quickly by the high carbonation as it fizzes across the tongue on its way toward the inevitable stomach. There is some cherry and mild astringency (Oxidation?) to the beer as it leads into the finish. The finish is dry and spicy from the alcohol and attenuation, and there is a defined alcoholic warming that sets in and has no intention of going anywhere long after the sip. Up to the next sip, there is still warming, dark caramel sweetness, and a dry cherry lingering on the back of my throat.

Opinion: This is a very complex beer. I definitely like that it has a whole lot going on in the flavor. The alcohol is a little distracting for me in that it is so strong that it has a tendency to muddle all of the flavors a bit. I have had the beer fresh, and I seem to recall that it was easier to drink. I am assuming that was from the oxidation, and is not a vintage thing. It says on the label to enjoy immediately, and I would take that recommendation in the future.

SkeeterHawk, Sep 09, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 750mL corked bottle. The head which forms is strong and sticks around for a while, with great lacing on the side of the glass, while a cloudy dark brown billows underneath.

The smell is a complex maltiness with a little herbal hints.

The taste reveals a bit more of the herbal smell through a very smooth and wonderful mouthfeel. Carbonation is present, but not to strong, keeping this quad very drinkable.

counterpart9, Sep 05, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A blurred, glassy burgundy below a short-lived khaki bonnet.
Fumes of bourbon drenched cherries, bananas, permanent markers, maple and moss.
Burnt prunes yield to smoked kiwis, which succumb to charred figs, fended off by blackened raisins. Covered in toffee sweetness, sugarcane and esters of banana. Cotton candy airiness towards the center; Rum-soaked pound cake later on. Towards the finish, a chlorophyll sensation materializes. Green ponds in August, with tire swings and lilypads. Ends lightly chocolaty, rum-sweet and algae-like.
Medium-thin body with sparse carbonation, yet enough to keep this from being overly sweet or cloying. Easily, and thoughtfully consumed.

Maracuja, Sep 05, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours reddish brown with enduring head and swirls.

Nose is sour brown ale like, with some fruitiness and fresh bread.

Palate is a rather ordinary sour lambic, perhaps sour brown like New Belgium's la folie, but with a modest amount of the cherry kriek in the mix. Honestly I can't figure out why this beer exists, and why it is reviewed so highly. It tastes neither like a traditional quad, nor like a good fruit lambic. It's almost as if it was a mediocre quad so they had to add the cherry lambic to offset the poor results. Nothing extraordinary here other than the cool name and bottle.

yemenmocha, Aug 31, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Found one last bottle marked 2005 and picked it up. Poured a slightly cloudy reddish brown with little head (there was more of a head when I poured more after the bottle had warmed a little). Smells absolutely incredible, hard to describe other than distinctly Belgian with a hint of cherries. Taste reminds me of Chimay Blue plus the sour taste of the cherry lambic. Very good beer, but found myself wishing I had someone to share the bottle with. Aside from the drinkability, a top notch beer!

srroos, Aug 30, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

The carefully poured twelve oz. bottle shows a brown red with a thick creamy tan head that eventually settles out to thin cap tha leaves occasional spotty lacing along the sides of my snifter.

Smells of absolute funk and mustiness with extra funk. In the background there are hints of the cherry tartness and sour fruit. A unique blend that is a little more funky than I anticipated. Very Belgianesque.

First half of the glass lacks the depth in taste typically found in a quad. Begins tasting sweet and finishes with tart cherries. Maybe I should have let it warm more, but it was close to room temperature at pour. After generating some warmth additional notes the brew opens up. There are hints of fig, prunes, plum, sweet cherries, tart cherries, and dark rum. Each flavor melds and works well with one another rolling from one flavor into the next.

Mouthfeel comes off as being a little thin with a bit too much carbonation. Both of these would likely improve with aging and I may buy a single for this purpose. I don't see this as being typically drinkable even given the style, but one is more than enough.

Perfect amount of cherry lambic added. Its not overwhelming but adds character to the brew. Its not a typical quad, but worth a try at least once. Ommegang has always been a great American brewer of Belgian beers, but I'm mixed on this one and may have to revisit in a few years.

Jmamay22, Aug 22, 2007
4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

A single 12 oz bottle, bought at the brewery last month.

Pours into a Duvel glass a deep soulful ruby shade. Thick, full creamy head on top. Very sticky and lots of lacing.

Aroma is lighter than I had anticipated. Slight alcohol, cherries, fresh mint, bread, and malty sweetness.

Let's see how well I can describe this. There's so much going on. It's earthy, sweet and chocolaty. Dark grains, some tartness coming from there. Also a definite presence of cherries supplying their own tart flavor. Creamy chocolate, nearly milky. Chocolate and cherries. Yes, I surely dig that meld of flavor. Presence of alcohol is negligible.

This is seriously hitting the spot and I think a large part of that is drinking it at the right temperature. Heed what it says on the bottle: try it lightly chilled. And pair it up with some cheese for Pete's sake, even if it's just sharp cheddar.

edskirk3, Aug 22, 2007
3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a goblet.

Appearance is the least tempting quality of the beer. It's a deep ruby brown with minimal head and lacing after the initial pour.
Aroma is caramel and tart cherries.
Taste is rich with chocolate, plum and tart cherry, but the cherries are light and balanced with the overall complexity of the beer.
Mouthfeel is pretty good, if a little lght...and maybe that's alright for this one because it's pretty drinkable.
I've tried it as an ice cream float and I tried it at Ommegang's Belgium Comes to Cooperstown 2007 with a ice cream laden tart. So, dessert pairings with it are necessary.

Three Philosophers is an excellent quad. I have many of these bottles, so I'm laying quite a few of them down and can't wait to see how they turn out.

elinash, Aug 22, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -7%

Gorgeous brewery right on the Cooperstown, NY mountain side. I was in Cooperstown for the Cal Ripken/Tony Gwynn Hall of Fame Induction.

A: Beautiful ruby, red ,tannish (?) head

S: Part Lambic Frambroise, part belgium ale

T: Sweet lambic tartness with the sweet malty background. Syrup consistency

M: Highly carbonated

D: Surprisingly high regarding it's ABV the lambic side brings it up but down at the same time. The tartness and sweetness can get overwhelming.

Ozone34, Aug 21, 2007
4.03/5  rDev -2.7%

This brew pours quite nicely. It produces fountains of light tan head, which sticks to the glass all the way through. The body of this brew is quite dark, but orange and reddish hues are easy to see.

Very fragrant. I can detect a slight hint of the lambic infused with this beer, but also a sweet doughy aroma as well.

The taste of this brew is a medly of cherry, molasses, and a metallic tartness.

Overall this is a very good brew. I think this is also my first quadrupel and I'm pleased.

TheSarge, Aug 19, 2007
3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

This is a very fine quadrupel. Mine was from a smaller bottle with no cork, so I'm wondering if the company may have downsized the quantity from the 750 ml. It pours a very dark brown, hazy color with a reasonable head, decent retention and some lacing. You can almost see the candied sugars in the glass. This is a medium to full bodied beer and has the carbonation to go along with it. This is a Belgian style for sure. The smell is sweet malts, some raisin, some caramel, maybe other fruits as it warms a bit. The color seems to mellow as it warms as well. The taste is strong malts, warming alcohol tones, some raisin, cherries, and some caramels. There were some pepperish snaps, but these seem to fade as the beer mellows. The down side is that the alcohol is too prevalent. The after taste is mild, and the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. It is just the overly strong alcohol tastes that compromise this beer for me. It's good, but not brilliant. L'Chaim

albern, Aug 17, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +1%

2005 year 750 ml corked & caged bottle, a gift from my daughter.

Appearance is a hazy dark amber-mahogany body under an ample thick light tan head that fades to a solid lid and leaves lots of lacing.

Smell is malt-syrup, raisin bread dough, English toffee, dried cherries, cinnamon rolls and pepper. The aroma brightens up as it warms.

Taste is toffee and cherry, both tart & sweet. Bready and brandy-like. Pepper notes come up near the finish, which is crispy dry-sour, long and tingly. I want to say watermelon, but can that be?

Mouthfeel is tingly, warming, rich and smooth.

Drinkability is fine in consideration of the relatively stout ABV.

A real treat from this New York partner of Duvel.

ColoradoBobs, Aug 17, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours rich medium reddish brown with 2" off-white head and very active bubbles moving up through the body. Good head retention with contant production of new small bubbles. The aroma was pretty floral, maybe lillies, mild with a hint of cherries. The initial flavor was of brown sugar and malt with a little sour yeast that grades quickly into a long-lived complex aftertaste that picks up the cherry lambic. The mouthfeel is full-bodied with creamy texture and very active carbonation. Overall, this is a solid beer and is not overly sweet despite the lambic addition. This makes a great dessert beer that stands up well on its own. We tried it with dark chocolate truffles toward the end of the glass, and it seemed a little overpowered. Maybe try something a little more delicate like vanilla creme brulee. You could also try with roast pork for a main course beer.

walshclimb, Aug 14, 2007