Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -13.5%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 120z bottle to a goblet.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy orange color with a small off white head that disappears quickly.

Smell: Sweet with fruits and alcohol dominating.

Taste: Very sweet with a strong alcohol presence that dominated this beer for me.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied and creamy.

Drinkability: Very good brew despite the dominance of the alcohol. Would seek out again.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- pours a deep burgundy with a solid frothy head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S- Sweet, raisins and cherries. A noticeable alcohol scent.

T- starts sweet slightly cherry. There also seems to be a somewhat smokey/coffee taste that follows. Leaves a mild grassy hop aftertaste. Definite alcohol warmth...

M- full bodied and creamy. The alcohol gives a little zip to the tongue and throat. A little less carbonation would be a plus.

D- This goes back smooth but is definitely a "sipper".

4.22/5  rDev +1.9%

found this at a holiday gathering located at a "wine" bar, paid $12 for the 750mL bottle which isn't that much more than the local stores if I recall properly
poured a light copper/amber color with a nice head that hung around
smell was sweet with a bit of malt
taste was sweet, cider/champagne like very pleasant slight bite at the end and as the beer got warmer the alcohol began to make its appearance
mouthfeel was smooth
could sit around and drink this all night
will do a more sophisticated review at a later date in the comfort of my home, I was in a bar trying to be social with more than my glass

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a dark brown in color with no clarity. Develops a thick brownish head that does not dissipate, but slowly develops into a nice collar. Aroma is very sweet and fruity, slight hints of alcohol. Taste is good and complex. Very strong alcohol unlike other Belgain quads with a tart finish. Good texture and body. The taste was good and I would recommend this as a good session beer. If I had a choice I would take other quads over this one, but it was not bad at all.

4.18/5  rDev +1%

3P's Quad has a dark amber color similar to whiskey. It tastes just like it smells, sweet and malty, not as sweet as St. B's or Rochefort, which, to this reviewer, is a positive (StB and Roche are fine). Upon tasting, it starts off with a maltly flavor and full bodied mouthfeel, immediately becomes delicately sweet, very cider-like--fruity, apples come to mind, then finishes subtley with a twangy sweetness on the palate. The bottle does contain sediment, so the last pour is cloudy, but the flavor and body are not affected. I drank it out of a crystal goblet and, later, a pint glass, preferred drinking it from the pint. What I write next is probably a heresy, but I made a batch of beer using that "cheesy" beer making kit--"senor cerveza" Recipe: 1 can r*d ale and m*llow a*ber, 1 pk of b**ster, 2 cups honey and 4 wks fermenting and 2 wks conditioning in bottles, 7.8 abv--and it had a similar smell, taste, appearance, and mouthfeel as 3P's Quad. Heresy? Probably, but both make me want to guzzle them down, not sip, and guzzle some more!

4.43/5  rDev +7%

This beer is a muddled haze of red-orange-brown topped with a thin white head that quickly vanishes. (SRM: 17?) The aroma is of smooth sweet grain and malt-- a tight and solid smell. It is quite full-bodied and very smooth! It is a lightly sweet roll of grain with a delicately bitter bite that finishes roundly with a subtle sour cherry. Nice!
(rated Feb 5, 2007)

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Took the cork off this bottle and immediately hit with the great smell of brandied cherries. Tilted the bottle carefully into the tulip poured the golden brown brew. A slight tan head fizzed up, and stayed there for a few minutes. Great flavor of brandied cherries, with some clove and some other earthy spice notes I couldn't quite identify. I liked the slight sweetness level. Slight alcohol presence, but I did not consider that a bad thing. A decent amount of malt in there as well, and gave the brew a slight biscuit or bread dough character. Nice, substantial, slightly velvety mouth feel.

Great sipping brew, although would probably pair well with strong cheeses....have three or four of these, and you'll be spouting out some great philosophy!

3.88/5  rDev -6.3%

Have seen this for just about forever at Binny's and have always ignored it for some reason, but it seems that I'm well overdue to knock out a few Quads before 08 ends.

Says it's brewed with cherries and from an appearance standpoint I would agree with that statement. Deep and dark cherry to be exact, like the kind of dark reddish brown you get from cooking up old fashioned cranberry sauce for Thanksgiving. A vigorous pour yields a dime thick head that fades into a thin, but creamy looking cap.

Smells heavily of sweet cooked cherries, brown sugar reduced in butter so everything gets nice and caramelized, but its not all sweet, the cherries impart a slight acidity to balanced

Tart and sweet, slightly woody and even a bit smokey. Seems like the amalgamation of a Kriek and a Quad and it sort of seems like they don't belong together at first. Complexity gets a little higher, flavors become less muddled, when the beer gets a chance to warm up and breathe. Maltier, warm alcoholic heat keeps the back of the throat feeling like its wrapped in blankets. Tart cherry and sweet brown sugar and an earthy spiciness make this beer a definite sipper, this is where the beers tartness works in the beers favor and keeps an already sweet beer from becoming mind bendingly saccharin.

3.83/5  rDev -7.5%

Deep ruby red, with a solid head ring around the glass, mostly filled with a solid cap of head. Heavily malted from the beginning with a light a burn to the back of the throat, finishing exceptionally clean with a hint of dark cherries and brown sugar. The finish then echoes around the back of the mouth, bouncing from the roof of the tongue and back, with lingering and added nuttiness. Enjoyable, if only for the unique combination of flavors, but not wholly so, but I can't put my finger on why. As I near the end of the glass, it continually numbs the mouth like shots of completely wonderful liquid novacaine.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%

My first foray into the world of Ommegang - I've heard good things of the brewery, and I was excited for this beer.

This fine beverage appeared a dark red-orange-brown, fairly hazy, with a thin, light tan head that looks almost sandy, but stuck around until the finish with a little bit of splotchy lacing - plenty inviting. Looks, indeed, like a quad blended with a bit of some sort of cherry brew; not strikingly beautiful, but far from ugly.

There is some cherry up front in the nose, but a very dark cherry. Other familiar Belgian fragrances drift in and out, mostly sweet but there's a cold sense to them - as if one were to smell spring and summer flowers and vegetation during the middle of winter. Maybe that only makes sense to me, but it's what I felt consistently after a few whiffs. A strange sensation, and one I'm not sure I like. However, there's definitely a sense of both styles in the smell.

The taste of this beer is subtle but not complex. The cherries have almost all gone (to be expected, when only 2% of the ale was brewed with cherries), but haunt a little bit from the smell. A bit too sweet overall, but surprisingly not in a very fruity way. I taste some pecan pie and pastry dough in there, along with raisins and green tea (with honey, maybe?) and a tiny bit of sweet lemon flavor, and nothing quite balances out. Some of the most unique malty flavors I've had yet, but they don't really jibe with each other.

Mouthfeel gets good marks because this beer has just the right amount of weight and cohesiveness in the mouth, which then leads to good drinkability. The beer just feels like it's not complete - it lacks balance and depth, but I'm hoping for good things from future batches, perhaps.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

A very good blended beer that flirts with greatness. Three Philosophers is a delightful quad blended with a cherry lambic. This worried me a bit as I'm not the biggest fan of fruit blend lambics, but then I haven't sampled the heights of that style. On the other hand, my feelings for quads are not so complex as they are almost entirely positive.

At any rate, this beer pours a deep red brown and looks brilliant in the chalice. The head is a touch foamy. The cork came off with a solid kick. The smell is fantastic. Sour cherries combine with earthy, fruity and spicy Belgian notes. There are bananas, plums, cloves, peppercorns, deep woody tones and slightly funky earth flavors all over the taste and nose. Now, I will say that I like the Ommegang yeast flavor but I don't love it. It doesn't have the character of some of the Trappists, but that's the sort of criticism that should be good to hear. My main problem with the beer is the cherry lambic. It's a very interesting flavor, but I would prefer it not to be there if I were to choose. It's just a little puckery and a little sweet fro the quad. It's a very interesting thought and I really liked it at first, but over the course of even just a full Chimay goblet, I started to just want the quad without the cherry noise. That said, Ommegang did a tremendous job with this beer. I bet that I could easily introduce this beer to non-craft beer crowds. It's a little expensive for that, but the big quad flavor and the cherry hook would help grab a crowd.

I would love to age a bottle. I would enjoy a less carbonated feel and a more blended flavor. We'll see about hiding one from myself. Always a challenge. I paired this beer with some creamy cheddar, which was ok but I didn't really have much else around at the moment. (Time delay edit) I just remembered that I had a Specialty's Direct thick rich semi-sweet chocolate chip cookie. It pairs quite well with the chocolate. It brings out more of the fruitiness of the yeast rather than the cherry. I imagine the beer would go well with good rich food, maybe a braised pork tenderloin or something. The sour cherry could really cut a rich flavor well and the quad is a joy anytime.

3.15/5  rDev -23.9%

2008 vintage

Appearance: Hazy amber color with frothy, tan head that recedes quickly. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: Aroma is sweet with licorice, raisins/dark fruits dominating. The malty sweetness reminds me a bit of cough syrup.

Mouthfeel: Rather full-bodied for the style and creamy.

Taste: Very sweet and cough syrupy with a strong alcohol presence. The sweetness dominates up front, but is soon overtaken by the alcohol which is just too powerful, in my opinion. It's a bit tougher to identify the flavors over the alcohol, but the dark fruits and caramelized sugars are there. I don't taste the cherries mentioned on the label much.

Overall impression: Very boozy. Too much for me, even for a quad. The medicinal aroma and taste don't help it much either. Perhaps more time in the cellar would serve this one well. Overall, it's not BAD but I wish I had opened this with my fiance or a friend to share the bottle with as one glass to sip would definitely be enough for me.

UPDATE: 2009-08-17

Nine months of cellaring later and it is definitely better, but now feels a bit thin and certainly doesn't eel any more complex. The booziness has DEFINITELY subsided though.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

Brewed 2004, 750ml bottle poured into Chimay goblets.

Appearance - extremely dark amber color. When not held to light, appears nearly opaque, but is in fact translucent. Very cloudy, reasonable amount of sediment (~1inch left in bottle, un-poured).

Smell - very fruity. Almost like a wine, but with a sweet-malt smell, behind the fruit.

Taste - Grapes, then malt. Upon swallowing, cherries, then more malt. Aftertaste is also malty, with lingering fruitiness. Fruit flavors throughout are all very rich, well developed, and natural tasting, none of that 'fruit flavoring' nonsense here. The over-all taste almost reminds me of a port, if port were beer.

Mouthfeel - very smooth. The bottle was very lightly carbonated (I nearly had to yank the cork out,) so the beer lays in the mouth almost like a wine. Very silky, very smooth; also not dissimilar to port.

Drinkability - this is, without a doubt, a well made beer. It may very well be a Great Beer. But it isn't a great beer for me. Even though I am enjoying this glass, I can't imagine having another without a nice bowl of really good vanilla ice cream on the side of it. As someone who doesn't love fruit-beer, this is not the beer for me. But I would recommend it to anyone who like a good fruity beer, because for what it is, it is very nice. In my opinion, this beer might be best enjoyed with a simple desert, following a rich meal (also like a port.)

4.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2006 vintage bottle, the cave aged edition, I could not wait to dig into this one. It had been sitting in my fridge for what seemed like forever waiting for me to get close to it. Decided to pop it open the other night. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 12/05/2008.

The pour was very nice with a rich brown color that was loaded down with ruby highlights that abounded. Huge off white head rose up from the depths and clung to the sides of the glass for what seemed like forever before finally settling back down and relaxing.

The aroma was rich, nice notes of dark fruity yeast, hints of swet cherry notes and an herbal tone that prickled at the nose quite nicely. Rich malts lying underneath provided a nice level of sweetness. The flavor was about as big and rich as you could get. Most of the alcohol was well hidden under rich fruit notes. Huge flavor here that dissolves and transforms with each passing sip. Nice touches of cherry and unique sour notes. Smooth, incredibly smooth with a rich carbonation and velvet like touch to it.

Overall an outstanding beer that was much more tame then the regular version and just a thing of beauty. I was very glad to have tried this one, very glad indeed.

2005 Vintage.

A: Amber-chestnut with a light tan head, good retention & lacing.

S: A well-rounded nose that's reminiscent of fruit-cake with a little spice and a slight hint of funk.

T: Christmas cake (raisins, dark fruit, cherries, rum), caramel, brown sugar, spice, slight sweetness is balanced with a light bitterness.

M: Moderate body has a touch of residual sweetness.

D: I've had this fresh & thought it was a little boozie... but with 3 years in the cellar it's quite drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Dark red pour with a big thick head. Aroma is nuts and black cherries. The blend of this beer is very thick but full of flavor. Bittersweet up front, then moves into the fruity sweetness of the lambic, and ends together in an sour malt. Everything seems to compliment each other in what is a very different and very good beer.

3.73/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Pours with a dark ruby-colored body and a large, dense, creamy white head. Almost looks like a nitro pour.
S: Smells like yeast and caramelized malts.
T: Tastes like a fruit lambic on one half. Cherries/sour cherries. On the other half it is sweeter like a dubbel or a dull quad; figs, dark fruit and molasses.
M: Kind of dull and uninteresting but fine.
D: Hides abv, but too much in flavor to make it great in the capacity of drinkability.

4.4/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From a 2007 vintage bottle that I'd been cellaring for the last year.

A: Deep garnet red with good clarity for a bottle conditioned ale. Very active carbonation is present. Rocky eggshell colored head has good retention and leaves a generous amount of lace.

S: A very complex set of aromas lets you know this will be a good experience. Cherries, chocolate, pepper, coriander, red oak and a whiff of alcohol great the nose in almost perfect balance.

T: The aroma carries over into the taste. Almost wine like up front. Dark fruits dominate the initial rush of flavor. Bakers chocolate creeps in from behind. Bitterness hits with a sharp peppery bite. Finishes with a pleasant alcohol warmth going down.

M: The heavy body feels thick, syrupy and bready as it literally coats the inside of the mouth. Carbonation level is spot on.

D: Wow. Definitely a beer to drink in small doses with the company of friends and family. Sits well on its own, or as an accompaniment to chocolate and soft cheeses.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Served on tap at Bocktown.

Snifter glass, mahogony in color with a large off white head that kept well and had a fine lace.

Nose was of ripe fruit, apples and malts. Bourbon like booziness.
Drinks very smooth and is a sipper for sure. Nice apple and malt, with a nice roasted edge. Alcohal is certainly present, and I believe this to be a fresh batch, so that is to be expected.

Very tasty and glad I got to try this, especially on tap. Would love to try cellaring this. Reccommended.

Bought as part of a Ommegang gift package and poured into the Ommegang glass. Deep red in color with quickly diminishing head. The cherry real comes out in the aroma, as does the distinctive Ommegang yeast strain. This was the first Belgian Quad that I've tried and could not really distinguish it from many of the Strong Belgian Dark Ales that I enjoy. Cherry is apparent in the taste, but not as strong as in the aroma, and this is a good thing. The beer is quite drinkable, with a pleasant slow warming sensation much like you would get from a bottle of red wine.

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Big bottle poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance is a brownish, light red that reflects well.

Smells of cherry and raisins, with a bit of a bite.

The high ABV is clouded with tastes of cherry and birch, with a little sweetness and a little bitterness, but no dominant, overwhelming flavor component. This beer is extraordinarily well-balanced with a little bit of everything and perhaps even thought-provokingly so. The finish is light and welcoming, though not smooth or refreshing. The mouthfeel and drinkability derive from the beer's fruit component, though allows for a bitterness rarely matched with fruity beers. It, above all, tastes like an Ommegang brew, though it possesses a flavorful and balanced bouquet that far surpasses Ommegang's other brews.

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a beautiful, dark ruby color with an off-white head that leaves a little bit of lace but keeps a centimeter layer of head above the beer. Knowing that a Kriek is blended in, the first thing that hits my nose is sour cherry. I acutally couldn't help but let out an audible "fuck yeah!" Other dark, sweet and sour fruits hit my nose as well, along with a definite funk and outdoors-like character. The taste is also remarkable, but I was expecting a little more sour kick. There is definite sour cherry upfront while the beer is in the mouth. Dark fruits come through midway and wood and earth-like flavors appear at the end. This beer is one of the more unique I have tasted. I am glad that I am able to get it within a couple of blocks of where ever I am!

4.05/5  rDev -2.2%

750ml bottle poured into snifters.

A = Dark cherry amber liquid with a small frothy yellowish head.

S = Pipe tobacco, leather, piquant spices including mixed peppercorns, balsamic vinegar. Very complex and enjoyable.

T = The cherries really show through, they are in the background but very distinctive. Strong flavors of black licorice and leather with a small amount of black pepper at the back of the tongue and some sour candy starts at mid-palate and lasts well into a long finish. A very pleasant beer that I could see going well with dessert.

M = Heavy body, decent mouthcoating, carbonation and alcohol sting just a bit too much.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

This beer pours a deep almost cloudy cider color with a head that quickly dissipates except for a ring around the chalice and some wisps in the interior surface. The aroma is dark ripe fruit, the cherries perhaps, and seductive alcohol over a malt background. Exceedingly smooth but not syrupy. The flavors are similar to the aroma with sweet malt, dark complex fruit, some sugary character as well. It finishes warm from the alcohol. This beer is warmly inviting, like the crackling of a fireplace on a cold winters eve. A sipper indeed, but do sip.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

2006 bottle. Pours a murky brown with a thick tan head. Aroma of a sweet cherry lambic...ah, I could smell this beer all day! Flavor of sweet cherries, raisin, dark fruits, raisin bread, soda. Smooth mouthfeel. Excellent quad and probably the best of the American versions that I've had so far.
Aroma: 9/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 8/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 15/20
4.0/5