Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured out a nice copper color with a godo head and a bit of lacing. Has a vaguely sweet smell with a hint of alcohol, which goes for the malty and alcholol taste, as well. Goes down fairly smoothly, with just a bit of roughness at the end. This would have been a great beer if the abv wasn't quite so noticable. While it's interesting to have a 9+% beer, if I wanted that much of the taste, I'd have scotch. Still worth a try, though, it's still quite good.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml bottle from Bevmo. Poured a gorgeous coffee brown with red around the edges, there is just a slight haze. Head is khaki colored, three fingers large, sudsy and long lingering. Aroma was light with cherries and allspice. Flavor is ripe with raisins, sour cherries, something floral, coffee, chocolate, and musty yeast. This brew has a good balance of spicy, sweet and sour. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying, carbonation is light and prickly. Finish is dry, weak and short with a bit of alcohol showing. Overall something is missing that would make this a truly great beer, even so, it commands a lot of respect.

3.28/5  rDev -20.8%

I'm trying another Belgian beer. I had pretty good luck with the few I've recently tried. I've read about this one and it sounded good. Clearly I don't have enough glassware. I know enough that this needs to be poured into a goblet or chalice. Well best I have is a nice crystal whiskey glass.

A - really dark color. it's really near opaque. Poured a nice head which dissipated in time. Kind of impressive.

S - really sweet, more like a wine. It's fruity and kinda boozy too.

T - more boozy than what I typically drink (pale ales and IPAs). Not as sweet as the smell. Taste doesn't hang too heavy. The cherry flavor is really subtle. this is more like a wine in taste as well. I'm not much of a wine drinker but I'm ok with this tonite. I was in the mood for something different.

M - Smooth and light for it's appearance. Slightly bubbly.

D - This bottle might be enough. Glad I experienced it tho. As mentioned this is very different than what I usually drink. I'll enjoy the bottle tonite, but I don't think this bottle will be a regular thing.

ok. If I were going to make a beer out of a cherry fruit roll-up, this would be it. Don't get me wrong, I used to love fruit roll-ups as a kid. This is a fruit roll-up in a bottle for adults. I think as I'm drinking more of it I'm having more fun, and I'm still on my first glass...

4.43/5  rDev +7%

Vintage 2007; I have a 2006 in the cellar that I've never got around to trying. How is it that I went this long without trying it? Its gonna be hard saving it for very much longer. I'll try to hold out...

Deep ruby brown beer with a 2 finger creamy tan head. Little lacing. Aroma is of cherries and malty sweetness. Taste is pleasantly tart and cherry sweet up front, with a nice bitterness balancing out the background. Mouhtfeel is rather spritzy due to the carbonation, but is rather heavy on the palate. Much thanks to the Ommegang folks for another fabulous brew.

3.78/5  rDev -8.7%

had this one the other day while waiting for my food at Mad Mex in Monroeville. Served in a wine glass... lemme dig out my cell phone so i can read my notes

poured a dark ruby color with very little, if any, head. not much aroma to it either... i could detect the alcohol, but not much else.

balanced flavor with malt up front and hops and alcohol on the back.

a heavy beer, not very drinkable in large quantities. reminds me of the Sprecher scotch ale i had in vegas in terms of heaviness. tasty, though and Id probably have it again.

3.93/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured a dark brown/amber color with generous off-white head. Aroma was a malty sweetness with a bit of fruit. Flavor is very much like the aroma except the cherry tartness is more evident. Mouthfeel is good. Alcohol is pretty well hidden. An enjoyable experience.

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

I poured the 750 ml bottle into a Duvel Chalice. It has a deep nice color with a very fluffy head, fluffy like i rarely see in a beer. It has a wonderful aroma, strong in malt and fruitiness. It tastes pretty good, a little too heavy on the cherry flavor, which is more tangy then sweet, and pretty crisp. I'd like it better if it was slightly thicker and maltier; its still slammin, dont get me wrong.

The first glass was right out of the fridge and a little too chilly, now I am on my second which is warmer. The malt and spices come through better, I'd recomend letting this one sit a while before drinking it. I feel the greatest part about this beer is it hides the alcohol very well. 9.8% and it tastes more like 6% or so even after it warms up, It did a good job at warming me up, too.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured slowly into a kwak glass (the kind that you need some wooden holder). The carbonation is so very powerful I let it sit for a few minutes...also so that the yeast in the remaining beer can settle as well since the first pour was stopped early from such a big head. The retention in the head is very very good. The color ranges from dark ruby brown to light brown at the neck of the glass. The smell is Belgian candy sugar and spices. There is also some clove in the smell. The taste is lighter than expected. The sweetness is not as much as you'd think, the clove stands out in the aftertaste with spices in the background. The taste is nice, but the aftertaste is bitter with sweetness still on your mind. Overall I would have another one, just not very soon.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle, 2005. Drank half the bottle the night before last, made the mistake of serving it too cold. First impression was not good, not pleasant at all. Drank the rest last night, served at about 60, much, much better. Cherry aroma. Flavor was a wonderful mix of cherry, chocolate and berrys. Very warming. Excellent !!!

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Color is a beautiful reddish-brown. When I first popped open the bottle, the aroma was very strong and malty with an alcohol nip - it said "Drink me!" very clearly. Flavor is rich, mainly malty with some hop bitterness and hints of cherry and caramel with just a touch of sweetness. Smooth and mouth-filling, this is one delightful ale.

3.8/5  rDev -8.2%

This beer I tried for the first time at my tasting club's 'Belgian Night.' I remarked that it tasted like root beer a little, with a little bit of cherries. It is soda-ish, and I appreciated its effervescent qualities, as the alcohol content is so high. A quad would be a beer I can't handle well, so I had about two shot glasses worth. I would drink this again, in a small glass nonetheless, but I am proud of myself for at least trying different and bigger Belgian beers .

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Serving Type: 750ml bottle

Appearance: Pours a lovely VERY dark red(almost dark brown)w/ a lovely 1 finger head that lingered the whole time and plenty of lacing

Smell: Slight mint, a touch of alcohol, malt sweetness, caramel, sweet dried cherries. The smell gets better as it warms up

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very smooth and creamy the entire time, thick sweet malt flavour and dark fruit(cherries) NO roasted taste. A lot of herbal flavour as well, slight warming alcohol toward the end and some spice mixed in. Very enjoyable

Drinkability: A very enjoyable beer but w/ out a doubt this is a sipping beer. Goes well w/ a lot of different food.

4.1/5  rDev -1%

750ml bottle (2007) purchased for $6.99 on 9-24-7 at Cedar Hills New Seasons.

Pours a dark ruby-ish brown color with a sizable loosely packed tan head that steadily collapses on itself leaving splotches of lacing in its wake. The aroma is unique. Very complex and difficult to pick out individual scents. Dark fruits, cherries, fresh cut wood, yeast and caramel meld nicely. The taste was surprising and almost offensive at first. But it finishes cleanly and I find myself quickly going back for more. There's so much going on with this beer that I'm having a hard time dissecting it. The alcohol is hiding backstage waiting for the final act to reveal itself. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, yet there is plenty of prickly carbonation. This is a good beer that I will surely revisit. I'll likely grab another bottle or two and forget about them for a few years to see what happens.

Appearance shows a rich dark brown with a strong thick head. Smell of dried cherries and sweet malt. Taste has the sweet tartness of dried cherries with spice and a slice of bread. Mouthfeel has full body to it with a good carbonation. My 1st full taste of a quad, I'd like to try others to make a comparison, but it's not bad. Makes me want a cigar.

Poured into an oversized wine glass - what can I say, it looked like a quadrupel, no question. Head was nice at first, fizzled quickly.

Smell was very good, especially as it became warmer. Lots of caramel malt, but also sweet cherries. The addition of cherry lambic has done this beer well.

It tastes like a quadrupel....vinous, lots of sticky caramel malts, somewhat flat mouthfeel (which I'm never all that fond of...I wish quads could be more prickly somehow)...but again, the addition of the slightly sour cherry keeps this from being a garden-variety quad.

I don't drink quads often, but this probably just became my favorite. Of course, I have a St. Bernardus waiting to be sampled...but based on what I've tasted of Ommegang's other brews, they truly know how to do a Belgian-style beer. And you can't beat the ridiculously low price.

A very good dinner-party beer that won't burn a hole in your wallet. Yet another beer you can safely hand to your wine-drinking friends.

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

2007 750 ml corked bottle poured in a chalice.
Pour revealed a castaneous body with a foamy coffee colored head that steadily dissipated, mild lacing through out the glass.
Smell was strong, full of nuts,spices,fruit and alcohol, overall nice pleasant complex aroma.
Taste was strong as well, this is a sipping brew. Light cherries & sweet mild malts masked the alcohol flavor well, but the warm feeling gave away the abv. Nice warm , bready taste with an arrangement of varying spices, and a real mild fruitiness which I prefer.
Mouthfeel was a nice medium body, with a warm alcohol feeling. This is a strong brew, one is a enough for one evening.
Overall this is a good, interesting and complex brew that seems to balance all the contrasting flavors well, definitely worth having on a crisp fall evening.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep amber-brown, opaque, with a finger of tan head that dissolves fairly quickly. Solid lacing. Nose os crazy strong toffee malt, lots of spiciness too, and light dried fruit. Taste is similar, lots of toffee malt, some alcohol presence (although it's fairly well covered for a near-10% ABV). Cotton candy, dried fruit, and a touch of licorice. A light hit of hops at the back end. Body is full and creamy with fairly low carbonation, although it works here nicely. I liked this one a lot, although it's not quite in the same league as some of the really mind-blowing quads out there. For the price ($3 for a 12 oz), I'd go back for more any day.

The last of the 12oz. bottles I purchased at the brewery during Belgium Comes to Cooperstown.

Into an Ommegang goblet it goes (also purchased at the brewery.) It has an almost opaque body of rich mahogany and maroon hints. The tan head thins out swiftly.

Scent of cherries, with a malty, chocolaty hint.

On the tongue there's cherries, some milk chocolate, and to my surprise, a small hint of mint. There’s just the slightest hint of bitterness and alcohol on the finish. But wow, I dig this.

It's not filling really. It has the mouthfeel of say, vermouth but not nearly as alcoholic.

I'm a big fan of Ommegang, this one is one of my favorites.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Red with accents of Brown.

Aroma: I didn't notice cherries specifically but fruitness prevailed nonetheless

Taste: Smooth and mature textured without overabundance of sweetness. The cherries appear to have taken off some of the bite of the unassuming appx 10% abv brew. Should hve let is warm up a bit, could tell there was alot left back with colder glass

M; Creamy and easy to quaf down with minor acidity towards the end.

D: Moderately easy to put down but not one to quench your thirst but rather to smell the roses over.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

I poured a corked and caged 750 ml bottle into a challis.

A: Deep amber red. The head is creamy and beige colored. The fluffy abundant head held on deep into the experience and formed a healthy lace down the side of the glass.

S: The aroma was dominated by the abundant sweetness of the malts and the fruity odor of cherries. As the beer settled the sweetness was complemented by an earthy aroma and the fruity odors turned to more of reminiscent of plums.

T: Sweet and malty but more bitter than I expected. It finishes with the flavor of cherries that reminds me of children’s cough medicine. There is a surprisingly dryness to the finish that leaves an unpleasant sour aftertaste.

M: Moderately filling, warming, and fruity in the mouth. The carbonation was spot on…not too dominate but sufficient to refresh.

D: This is a one and out beer meant to be an after dinner drink that one can linger over as the evening progresses. It’s a fine sipping beer. However, a second one would be too much for a single drinking session.

Comments: A very likeable beer. I have added it to my list of quads worth having and sharing with friends.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

They recently brought this beer back to Texas, but this is a bottle that I have had in my closet since before it was here. It is about a year old 2006 version when trying it.

Appearance: Pours a pretty hazy chestnut color with a bit of a Burgundy hue. There was a thick 1/2" of tan foam at first that was made of small bubbles. The bubbles fall back into the beer within a minute or so to end up as a small island of bubbles on top of the beer to last for some time. There are quite a few bubbles rising to maintain the island.

Aroma: I initially get a good bit of cherries along with a dark caramel aromatic that gives way to an almost woody impression. I can pick up a very faint amount of hops in here that comes across to me as grassy more than anything. The beer gets a lot more toasty as it warms.

Taste: This beer is a whole lot bigger in the flavor than I suspected from the aroma. It was so much that my palate got confused. I know that there was huge sweet caramel malt in here as a backbone. This is masked quickly by the high carbonation as it fizzes across the tongue on its way toward the inevitable stomach. There is some cherry and mild astringency (Oxidation?) to the beer as it leads into the finish. The finish is dry and spicy from the alcohol and attenuation, and there is a defined alcoholic warming that sets in and has no intention of going anywhere long after the sip. Up to the next sip, there is still warming, dark caramel sweetness, and a dry cherry lingering on the back of my throat.

Opinion: This is a very complex beer. I definitely like that it has a whole lot going on in the flavor. The alcohol is a little distracting for me in that it is so strong that it has a tendency to muddle all of the flavors a bit. I have had the beer fresh, and I seem to recall that it was easier to drink. I am assuming that was from the oxidation, and is not a vintage thing. It says on the label to enjoy immediately, and I would take that recommendation in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 750mL corked bottle. The head which forms is strong and sticks around for a while, with great lacing on the side of the glass, while a cloudy dark brown billows underneath.

The smell is a complex maltiness with a little herbal hints.

The taste reveals a bit more of the herbal smell through a very smooth and wonderful mouthfeel. Carbonation is present, but not to strong, keeping this quad very drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

A blurred, glassy burgundy below a short-lived khaki bonnet.
Fumes of bourbon drenched cherries, bananas, permanent markers, maple and moss.
Burnt prunes yield to smoked kiwis, which succumb to charred figs, fended off by blackened raisins. Covered in toffee sweetness, sugarcane and esters of banana. Cotton candy airiness towards the center; Rum-soaked pound cake later on. Towards the finish, a chlorophyll sensation materializes. Green ponds in August, with tire swings and lilypads. Ends lightly chocolaty, rum-sweet and algae-like.
Medium-thin body with sparse carbonation, yet enough to keep this from being overly sweet or cloying. Easily, and thoughtfully consumed.

3.25/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours reddish brown with enduring head and swirls.

Nose is sour brown ale like, with some fruitiness and fresh bread.

Palate is a rather ordinary sour lambic, perhaps sour brown like New Belgium's la folie, but with a modest amount of the cherry kriek in the mix. Honestly I can't figure out why this beer exists, and why it is reviewed so highly. It tastes neither like a traditional quad, nor like a good fruit lambic. It's almost as if it was a mediocre quad so they had to add the cherry lambic to offset the poor results. Nothing extraordinary here other than the cool name and bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +3.9%

Found one last bottle marked 2005 and picked it up. Poured a slightly cloudy reddish brown with little head (there was more of a head when I poured more after the bottle had warmed a little). Smells absolutely incredible, hard to describe other than distinctly Belgian with a hint of cherries. Taste reminds me of Chimay Blue plus the sour taste of the cherry lambic. Very good beer, but found myself wishing I had someone to share the bottle with. Aside from the drinkability, a top notch beer!

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang