2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,518 | Reviews: 1,870 | Show All Ratings:
thedaemon

Alabama

This is my current favorite beer. I have not had a better beer in my 30 years of life. If you have any suggestions, please let me know! I welcome a challenger. But as of my 100 or so beers, this is my go to deliciousness. It's strong but not too alcohol tasting, it's fruity and dark. Just everything I've dreamed of a beer. Why is this not replacing water?

10-03-2013 16:49:36 | More by thedaemon
BethanyB

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance: A slightly hazy copper color, with a large, tightly beaded, light-tan head that persisted until the very last drop, and left a good amount of lacing down the side of the glass. Very nice!

Smell: Sweet cinnamon raisin toast, a bit of caramel, and some subdued stone fruit esters, e.g., apricots, plums, etc. Lacks the malty complexity and whiff of alcohol I would have expected from this style.

Taste: Dates, plums, cherries, and figs dominate, backed by peppery phenols and alcohol flavors. A very light bitterness mixes with complex malt flavors, with both the hops and the malt present at the very beginning, then lingering well into the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-high carbonation is balanced by a smooth, clean texture. As light as the bitterness is, it manages to provide a slight dryness that counterbalances the prominent sweetness. The alcohol warming is very light for the style.

Overall: An excellent example of a strong dark ale. There are no qualities that make it a true standout in my opinion, but this is a big beer style, and with every beer in this category making quite the statement, it's difficult to outshine the others. Absent of faults, and even the characteristics that I was expecting to find but didn't aren't "musts" for the style. Definitely delicious. Always a good choice.

09-29-2013 18:02:12 | More by BethanyB
Glennlawless

3.6/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into 16 oz ommegang tulip.

A - poured a dark red with a beige head that fades down quick. you can see that this is unfiltered too

S - Smell a hint of cherries and sweet fruit. not getting any hops.

T - This is a real tasty beer, very mild at first then towards the middle i got mixed dark fruit. slightly spicy finish with a dark cherry undertone that lingers. smooth, drinkable, and dangerous.

M - well carbonated and a little sticky. that lingering cherry on your tongue leaves you wanting more.

Overall, Im generally a west coast style IPA kind of guy, love the whole hoppy citruisy bomb type beers ( stone ipa, green flash west coast ipa, ballast points sculpin ipa), but for what this beer is, I really enjoyed it. Has those dark fruits which im not a fan of, but they are very mild and enjoyable, and that little bit of spiciness you get that dies out quick and just leaves you with cherries. for 9.7abv, this is dangerous and delicious. i enjoyed this.

09-27-2013 01:05:43 | More by Glennlawless
Jeffdoghead

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is fantastic! similar in certain flavors and balance to their Abbey Ale. As others have said, very similar to Trappists style ales Ive had. Definitely has a slight cherry flavor in the finish giving nice balance to the sharp beginning. Awesome Beer!!

09-26-2013 23:43:41 | More by Jeffdoghead
Lazy_Lizard

Maryland

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This big Belgian style ale has to be one of my favorite. A rich hearty beefy beer with complex caramel overtones. Not to bitter with a touch of sweet cherry in the finish. The large corked bottle is perfect to preserve it so that it does not have to be drank in one sitting. Open top fermented provides a complex yeast blend. If only it were a little less expensive at the local pub. But hats off to this American interpretation to this Belgian masterpiece. The filet mignon of Belgian beers.

09-21-2013 21:06:48 | More by Lazy_Lizard
Gryphon69

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

pint bottle
dated 2013
oversized wine glass

A- Slightly hazy amber brown with a noticeable amount of bubbles. Poured a finger high cream colored head that reduced to a complete covering of the top of the glass, lacing covered the whole glass. As I am a slow drinker the sides were covered. Very good looking color and head.

S- Sweet malts, mixture of fruits like white grape, sour apple, yeast, no real noticeable hoppiness. Smell reminds me more of a summer type beer, I find it very nice.

T- Much like the nose, but more of a wine like sweetness from the fruits, good balance and flavor. I am not finding all these dark fruits, maybe because ive been hitting the stouts more so I am going off of those. Has a slight spice in the finish that fades relatively quick.

M- A medium to full body that I found to be slightly heavier than what the sweetness would present. Lots of carbonation that actually went well with the fruitiness. Has a slickness that makes it go down easy.

O- I find this a pretty good tasting brew, lots of flavor, easy on the nose. Very good mouthfeel that makes it pretty easy to drink. I will buy this one again at some point, even tho it is not my normal style.

09-21-2013 02:35:16 | More by Gryphon69
stella77artois

3.53/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into wine glass.

A - Pours a red-amber, with a small amount of carbonation. A small head formed after a somewhat aggressive pour. Big let down on the head.

S - Definitely a Belgian. Lot's of sweet malt, dark fruits ; especially grape and figs. Also noted hints of apricot and even a bit of peach. Fermenty wine-like smell in there, too. That killed it a tad. Still though, nice smelling beer.

T - Not a bas tasting beer, just not really my style. All the aromas were noted in the taste. I could really notice the sweet malts throughout. Not a bad beer, but kind of disappointing. Didn't think it was outstanding, even though it seems to get reviews as such.

F - Sticky, thick, a lot to it. Certainly a sipping beer. Not meant to be chugged obviously, but for what it is, it's drinkable.

O - Not a bad brew, but not one I'd buy again. Who knows, maybe the single I bought wasn't the freshest. I enjoyed drinking it, but I was a bit disappointed as it usually gets outstanding reviews. Quad fans will probably like this beer, but I feel there are better examples of Belgian ales.

09-18-2013 13:26:07 | More by stella77artois
spoony

Colorado

3.91/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 355 ml bottle (dated 2013) into a chalice.

A-A normal pour produces about one and one-half fingers of khaki head. The retention is so-so...maybe a minute before it settles into a cap. The brew is murky and reddish-hued dark brown. It is not as dark as many quads.

S-The smell is interesting and lighter than I remember it (although it has been a few years since I had this beer). I get some musty white grapes, golden raison, clove spice, and just a bit of sour cherries. Nice, but not mind-blowing.

T-The taste, like the smell, is lighter than some quads. I taste a lot of holiday spices (clove, cinnamon, and ginger), some molasses, as well as the aforementioned golden raisin and kiss of sour cherry. There is a light hit of bitterness in the finish. The alcohol is well-integrated/concealed.

M-The feel, as you might expect, is pretty soft, but the carbonation is more active here than in many Belgian examples of the style. Medium to full body.

O-This is a pretty good beer, just not a great one. I thought it was a bit overly-spiced and carried too much light fruit and bitterness to compare against the Belgians. I could have used more raisin/plum/fig/prune. On the plus side, the alcohol is nicely concealed and, if you're into spices, there are a plenty here.

09-18-2013 01:59:14 | More by spoony
mtomlins

Ontario (Canada)

4.19/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A: Hazy, reddish brown; 1 -2 fingers of off-white head, thick and cloudy and lasting a very long time; falls to a sudsy collar and leaving a bit of lacing.

S: Massive nose with all those wonderful Belgian notes, yeasty and spicy with a touch of cherries and some other dried fruits. Lots of sweet malt

T: Big malts profile with some dried fruits (raisins) and some cherry, brown sugar, molasses. Big Belgian flavors, yeasty and a nice bread character. Long finish, sweet but clean.

M: Medium-high body and carbonation. The carb helps ‘lighten’ the beer while the body is still velvety and smooth.

O: Deeee-Lish!! A beautiful round beer. Great Belgian flavors with a big malt profile and the subtle cherry and fruit adds a nice complexity.

09-16-2013 16:27:02 | More by mtomlins
Premo88

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

12 oz. bottle poured into goblet (packaged 5/21/13; best by 5/18)

L: brown; murky caramel with darker orange-red-amber highlights; nice 1/4- to 3/8-inch head of thick tan foam that sticks hard; typical Belgian all the way around, murky, opaque, big head that pushes up almost all on its own

S: fruity, yeasty -- thick sour grapes/wine smell; a friend suggested "pumpkin", and while I'd have never thought of it, she's right -- there *is* a marked similarity to pumpkin

T: follows nose pretty closely with lots of fruit, darker-dried fruits (dates, cherries ... not exactly raisins but getting there); loads of yeasty notes; wine

F: so much wonderful carbonation ... these Belgians (and Belgian-inspireds) know how to use it without the big carbonation ripping off your tongue; full

O: Ommegang is a good thing ... my quadrupel experience is very limited, so it's hard for me to place an accurate to-style number on this thing, BUT it's good -- the cherry kriek addition supposedly only accounts for 2% of the brew, but it is present. you can taste dark cherries in there, and it mixes just fine with the dark-fruity/yeasty taste of the quad.

09-16-2013 07:27:08 | More by Premo88
vkv822

Oregon

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml : tulip

When held to light it is a fairly translucent, deep cherry-mahogany with some yeast particles being kicked around by the carbonation and a foamy, billowy tan head.

I can certainly pick up the kriek, with cherry upfront blending quickly into slightly boozy, dark fruits as well as spice, molasses notes.

Foamy, medium body, with a faint warming finish.

A very well done quad. Very inviting nose, and the taste is quite enjoyable. Though I felt that the individual characteristics in the taste weren't quite as distinct as in the aroma.

09-09-2013 07:52:37 | More by vkv822
StoutHunter

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend about a month ago for $4.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. This is the last of the Ommegang beers that I picked up while I was up north, A Quad blended with a Kriek peaks my interests, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on April 23rd 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into tulip.

A- The bottle is nice looking, and it's a little eye catching with the James Bond style silhouettes on the label. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on some ruby and crimson hues when held to the light with four fingers worth of rocky tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all and I've never gotten this good of head and lacing from a Quad before.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of dark fruit aromas with no single fruit sticking out the most and it's immediately followed by a nice cherry like aroma that had just a slight medicinal like aroma to it, the cherries blend nicely with the dark fruit and there's a good balance to it. Up next comes the malts that have a slight brown bread and caramel malt aromas, but it's a nice toffee aroma that seems to stick out the most and it's followed by a Belgian yeast aroma and lighter alcohol aroma. This beer has a pretty good aroma, the Kriek aspect was noticeable and it blended well with those typical Quad aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by those same fruit aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time the dark fruits seems to stick out most and the cherries show up in the background and they aren't a little medicinal like they were in the aroma. Up next comes the malts with the toffee showing up and there's just a slight bit sweet and caramel like malts in the background followed by a lighter amount of Belgian yeast flavors. On the finish there's some noticeable alcohol that's a little more warming than I expected and there's a hardly any bitterness on the finish with a malty and dark fruit aftertaste with a little bit of cherries in the background.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that surprisingly works well with this beer. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of a Quad, even though it's a blend of a Quad and a Kriek I thought this beer was much more Quad like with Kriek aspects showing up in the background and blending well with the Quad Like flavors. I would be able to tell there was at least some cherries in this beer by the aroma, but I don't think I could tell that this was blended with a Kriek by the flavors alone. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was slightly warming, but I thought it was pretty smooth and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I wouldn't rule out drinking a couple of these if I was in the mood for this kind of beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, I'm not sure how this beer would be if the Kriek was the dominant aspect, but I don't think I would enjoy as much since I liked the Quad flavors taking the lead with the Kriek aspects showing up in the background. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, but I do think that cherries could have shown up just a little more in the taste. I would buy this beer again, it was a little expensive, but I could see myself buying a bottle or two once in a while and I would recommend this to anyone who likes Quads. All in all I was happy with this beer, I enjoyed it just the way it was and I now see why this beer is as popular as it is, I don't know what took me so long to try it, but I'm glad I did. Good job guys, this is a nice take on a Quard and I think blending is something that is very under utilized by American Brewery's. Keep up the good work guys, so far this is my Favorite beer from Brewery Ommegang and even through this was a blend I still think it's one of better Quads I have tried.

09-08-2013 03:48:26 | More by StoutHunter
TheMultiYeast

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a silky dark brown with a small beige head.

Sweet, dark fruits, ripe cherries, malty toffee, cake, hint of booze.

Sweetness is a bit more restrained in taste. Dark fruits and malty sweetness are prevalent with earthy bitterness in the back. Hidden alcohol, somewhat woody aftertaste.

Luscious but not overbearing. Well carbonated. Sipper.

Nice blend and an excellent Quad overall.

09-07-2013 03:13:22 | More by TheMultiYeast
AAG

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Large bottle with a cork...served in a room-temperature pint glass and paired with a couple morsels of dark chocolate...I recommend this pairing.

A - Reddish-brown, carbonation consistently streaming to the top, nice 1-2 finger head initially which dissipated throughout but laced nicely on the edges of the pint glass...looks delicious.

S - Medicinal, alcohol, malt-like, honey, and fruit.

T - Tremendous; complex; creamy throughout; very smooth; deceiving given that it is 9.8% ABV; has a slight bite but very manageable overall.

M - Smooth, creamy, very easy on the palate.

O - One of a kind; a very complex beer; I really enjoyed this belgian quadrupel; I recommend pairing with something sharp (dessert, cheese, or dark chocolate). I highly recommend this beer; so complex that it is hard for me to capture its essence in my review. Great beer...

08-31-2013 22:41:06 | More by AAG
joe1510

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml Bottle
2005

Three Philosophers poured a muddy copper. Bright ruby highlights when held to the light. There was 1 finger off white head that faded fairly quickly to a light sprinkling of foam along the top. Looks like it will be very flavorful. Kind of mysterious and inviting. I cant wait to see what flavors will come out of this.

When I popped the cork I smelled the bottle and it smelled exactly like a chocolate covered cherry. When poured into the glass a lot more scents came along. I still smell the chocolat although it did die down slightly. Theres damp soil, spice from the yeasts, a sweetness, and cherries coming through faintly at the end. For some reason every now and then I'll smell it and get scents I associate with a spiced cider but only occasionally.

The taste is really good. There's so much going on it's hard to describe but I'll give it a shot. There is a punch in the mouth right up front which quickly mellows into all kinds of flavors. I'm picking up sweet malts, an earthiness/musty, spice, chocolate every now and then, and cherries. I pick up something new with every drink. As it warms there's a touch of alcohol. Just enough so it warms your throat. Very complex.

The mouthfeel is perfect. Velvety and creamy. A nice touch of carbonation. Hits quickly and vanishes. Coats my mouth and is slick as I drink.

Drinkability is ridiculous. This beer is so smooth and so easy drinking for a 9+%.

This is a really great beer. I have a few more I'm going to celler but I think I'm going to have to pick up some more to drink in the meantime. Excellent!

Reviewed 10/10/07

08-31-2013 19:27:53 | More by joe1510
1sophrosyne1

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a snifter over 35 minutes.
Pours a thick rosy-brown with pink corona under an ivory-tan cream cap. retention is long, leaving patchwork quilt of cell-like swirls of head. Too opaque to notice much else. Laces in sheets that slip down fast.
Smells festive and sweet with cherries, raisins, bubble gum, banana, and brandy. There's some clove and a dash of both cinnamon and ginger. It's potently heady. Big sniffs bring out a campfire smokiness underneath, as well as rubber, petrol, and baked macadam. While sitting with the aftertaste, I feel pumpernickel bread working its way from the back of my tongue up into my nose. The complexity is worth pausing to unravel.
There's a spiciness right up front that's accentuated by the carbonation. It's a pleasant slice through what would otherwise be a very heavy fruitcake. It is sweet with flavors matching the nose, but tart acids (tasting of apricot) also aide with balance that promotes drinkability. With nose deep in the glass, there's a Stilton essence that comes up and also later lingers on the tongue, but it's mild and in check with a malt foundation, caramel shell, hint of espresso, and a dash of pepper.
Surprisingly, this heavy brew doesn't linger in the mouth. And I find it a relief that it slides by in a blend of tart and cream without being too chewy or sticky. The bright carbonation early and late-gulp lightness offset the heft of flavors. Warmth in the belly warns that it will catch up with you, though.
Overall, I like this creation even more that many Belgian counterparts. It's the mouthfeel that really makes that happen for me--as a contrast to the syrupy cordial character that can make these beers intriguing, but tiring to try to consume. I'd drink this one too long for my health, especially on a chilly evening.

08-29-2013 00:03:28 | More by 1sophrosyne1
Birdmarg741

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Dark red brown; cloudy. Pours with a medium head with somewhat little retention. Though a nice thin and uniform lace lines the side of the glass throughout the drinking experience.

S: Dark dried fruits. Strong aroma of fig and malt, with cherries layered behind - while a bright acidity lays atop the overall experience. There is a funk smell of cheese as well.

T: Toasty flavor and malt richness envelop the tastebuds first - then dark cherries come through soon after, followed by a more subdued fig appearance.

M: Medium to full bodied - highly carbonated, which makes it feel lighter than it would otherwise. Surprisingly stimulating on the tongue and palate. A full mouth experience.

O: Overall a very nice creation. For the ethanol content- as well as the true richness of its flavor components, this is an incredibly drinkable beer, and surprisingly somewhat refreshing as well. Not insanely filling, as many beers with similar flavor profiles can be - and also does not scream winter warming seasonal brew. This can shine on its own, but wonderfully also accompany food as well. Definitely worth a try!! I will absolutely have this again.

08-28-2013 23:43:05 | More by Birdmarg741
jeff1973

4.13/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Three Philosophers snifter. Bottled 1/13/13, so roughly 8 mos old.

A - Hazy reddish brown. Off-white head that leaves decent lacing.

S - Dried cherry, date, fig. Bright raspberry.

T - You get all the dried fruits, plus a nice dose of brown sugar along w/ a little Belgian funk. Everything melds well. Dries out nicely on the end.

M - Medium-full. Medium carbonation that fits perfect.

O - Great beer! Everything you want in a nice Quad, and dangerously Uber-drinkable. Great price point.

08-28-2013 03:43:24 | More by jeff1973
Fatehunter

Oregon

Poured into a Trappist glass. Minimal head on a hazy, dark straw colored body.
The aroma is rich with ripe apricot, banana and lemon.
The taste is complex and nicely balanced. Lots of fruit which brings a moderate sweetness to the overall flavor. It has a slight sour finish.
The texture is crisper with moderate carbonation.
Nicely done.

08-28-2013 02:08:37 | More by Fatehunter
zhokar

4.56/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Hazy amber brown with a light brown head

S- Yeast, spices, bananas, sweetness

T- Sweet malt goodness. Caramel. Coffee. A smidgen of tartness in the middle. Can taste the alcohol at the start, seems about right for 9.8%.

M- Moderately carbonated. Finishes smooth.

O- Grew on me more and more throughout. Well balanced beer. My first Ommegang and it won't be my last. My favorite quad that I've tried so far.

08-24-2013 02:21:37 | More by zhokar
Salud24

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Tastes great... Swirl in your mouth for awhile and you'll see what I mean. I get some coffee and malt well balanced . Smells like almonds ,champagne,and coffee if that makes sense. Having it with some gouda cheese,also a great pairing. Just taste this beer and you'll be hooked. Salud.

08-24-2013 01:13:21 | More by Salud24
Aleks_P

4.43/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Translucent cloudy brown in appearance, very full tan head. Has some character.

Smell: Appropriate for the style, can detect some of the alcohol and some tart fruit notes.

Taste: I was surprised. At 9.8% ABV I was expecting the alcohol to be overpowering but everything was extremely balanced and smooth. I actually picked up a lot of coffee type notes and a little tart sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Again, was expecting some alcohol bite but was not noticeable, the beer was actually very smooth and almost creamy.

Overall: I was very impressed with this one. Taste was well balanced and overall a well-executed beer, bit unique for the style. This was my first beer from the Ommegang brewery and I will definitely try some others.

08-18-2013 01:13:06 | More by Aleks_P
teromous

3.98/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Very hazy medium-dark shade of brown with a fluffy and creamy khaki head. It leaves some lacing of very fine bubbles, but not much.

S: A light scent of banana floats up along with sweet smelling malt. As my nose lingers at the top I get a sudden hit of alcohol. It smells exactly like a person would expect.

T: A very robust caramel flavor that has a rich toasted bitterness and an immediate aftertaste of a bit of grape and plum. The final aftertaste is burnt toast. There is a fair amount of alcohol flavor that can be tasted in the beer, but no burning. It has a very full flavor.

M: The mouthfeel is very nice on this beer. It is full and provides the thickness to deliver the complexities of flavor. The bitterness is a bit strong at the back of the mouth.

O: Overall I thought this was a fantastic beer that I would recommend. It's more than worth drinking and is a head-to-head competitor with the best authentic Belgian Quads.

08-11-2013 18:36:04 | More by teromous
barczar

Kentucky

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours an opaque deep brown, which, when held to the light, is brilliantly clear ruby. The modest foamy khaki head dissipates into a minimal amount of foam at the rim. Floaties abound. When the sediment is added, clarity is no more.

Tart cherries, prunes, raisins, dates, and figs begin the aroma. There's a sweet, rummy, molasses character at the base. Toasted malt and Belgian candi sugar surface late.

Flavor is fairly sweet and malty initially, with sour cherries dominating mid palate, finishing bready, toasted, and fairly dry. Subsequent sips reveal the dark fruit character at the base, with raisins and dates adding sweetness and complexity.

Body is full, smooth, and syrupy, with moderate to low carbonation that is accentuated by the tart cherries to give a more effervescent feel. Alcohol warmth is present and lingers.

Not your average quad! The cherry addition lightens up a usually heavy style, but the base beer is still complex with yeast esters. Sweet, dry, tart...a little bit for everyone. I do prefer my quads with more malt sweetness, though.

08-06-2013 22:31:52 | More by barczar
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.93/5  rDev +19.1%

Ommegang Three Philosophers has a thin, fizzy, beige, root beer-style head, a brilliant, orange-brown appearance, lots of tight bubble streams, and a thin lacing sheen left behind. The aroma is of sweet, rich, brown bread, strong fruit aroma (such as fig or date), sugar, and caramel. Taste is of all those elements, with nougat, brandy wine, and some hop bitterness. Cherry flavor is present, but it is quite subdued. Mouthfeel is medium and prickly (from the carbonation), and Ommegang Three Philosophers finishes mostly dry, sweet, rich, and enjoyable. This is a outstanding sipper, and I highly recommend it.

RJT