Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,009 | Hads: 6,030
3.73/5  rDev -9.5%

750 mil, 2008 vintage

A - Dark orange - somewhere between a dark red and brown in color. Head formation is very strong and thick - at about 5mm. It is darker in color, similar to a stout. Carbonation is quite obvious. Little hazing that I can find.

S - Very yeasty - dominated by the belgian earthy yet spicy yeast. Some malt sweetness in the background, almost reminding me of cherries.

T - Starts of with a smooth sweet flavor. Starts to develop a hair of balance mid-stream with the yeast. Not very assertive. At the end is a strong bitter bite that comes way out of left field for me. Aftertaste is a acidic sour bite associated with a sort of cherry flavor.

M - Very carbonated, which is leading towards alot of bite on the tongue. The body of the beer itself is moderate to perhaps a bit light.

D - A filling beer combined with a high ABV in a 750 ml container - that speaks volumes for it being a single and special occasion beer. I believe that is the brewers intent anyway.

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. 9.8% ABV, 2009, Serve at 50°F.

A - Hazy, murky brown pond water color with vibrant ruby highlights. Despite the color's somewhat shady appearance, this brew has a nice bone head with good retention and lace.

S - Dark Belgian candi sugar compliments the toasted caramel and chocolate malts. Dusty cocoa and dirt come through with a Belgian yeast strain trailing behind. Medicinal notes cloud the low cherry kriek aroma.

T - Tart Kriek hits upfront followed by an alcohol kick. The rest is a mix of sweet, dark candi sugar, cocoa-like dry malts, dirt, and Belgian yeast esters. Odd it's still so hot after it's age.

M - Tart and boozy hot across the tongue with a smoothness half way through. Good carbonation level to keep it from feeling overbearing. Warming finish to the medium-full-bodied beer.

D - Not only do I know I've positively reviewed this before (one of the first great beers I shared with my Dad before he passed) I remember it being much, much better than this time around. A little boozy and cloyingly sweet, the 12 oz bottle doesn't seem to have the same greatness the 750 does.

1 pt 9.4 fl oz bottle served in a snifter, reviewed live:

A - Pours a deep, murky, amber brown color with a tan, decently creamy head of 2.5 fingers. Retention is decent. Pretty much what was expected.

S - Candied sugar, raisins, tart cherry, spice, and reserved malt and yeast tones. It's a modest strength aroma, if a bit reserved, but nice all together.

T - Spicy and tart fruits open. Dark cherries and raisins build over sweet malt and candy. Yeast comes through near the climax, with a bit of tart funk. The well handled alcohol peeks through near then end, but it's far from obtrusive. Well built, and the addition of the kriek is a nice compliment to the beers understated complexity.

M - Medium bodied, surprisingly creamy, and smooth.

D - My first brew from Ommegang, and it didn't disappoint. A bit timid, but quite complex and highly drinkable, especially considering the ABV. I look forward to more beers from Ommegang.

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Nice amber/toffee color, decent cream colored head. Smell is bready, yeasty, a little overripe fruit and spices. Taste is nice but not overwhelming. Some fig/pear fruits, but caramel malts and Belgian yeast spices are more pronounced. This also has a green hop flavor that I find a bit unusual for the style. It provides a little sharpness, and I think this could be smoother. Overall, very solid but it didn't meet my fairly high expectations.

3.72/5  rDev -9.7%

A-Pours a ruby amber with a fluffy tan head and good sticky lacing. Looks nice but a bit browner than I expect a quad to be.

S-Smells good though. Sweet plum, raisin and brown sugar with a fine Belgian sugariness and yeast character.

T-Nice. Sweet and full of dark fruit. There is maybe a bit too much black cherry for my liking and the flavor is not as full as I like in this style.

M-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated.

D-A pleasant drinking quad. I think that the slightly lower ABV, compared to the classics of the style may have an impact on my enjoyment overall. But this is quite easy on the palate.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

This pored into a chilled pint glass, with a red tinted color and nice white fluffy head, that holds for quite some time. the flavor is quite pleasant. The hint of cherry from the 2% Lambic makes for a great compliment to the ale they brewed. Being a fan of lambics my self, this makes for a excellent brew.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

This beer poured a cloudy brown color with at thick head and pretty lacing. The smell is a bit sour and perhaps malty. The taste is malty with definite sour and sweet notes – a hint of fruitiness. The mouthfeel is full, but not chewy. Overall, this is a well balanced ale that I’d recommend.

3.71/5  rDev -10%

A: Pours with a dark ruby-colored body and a large, dense, creamy white head. Almost looks like a nitro pour.
S: Smells like yeast and caramelized malts.
T: Tastes like a fruit lambic on one half. Cherries/sour cherries. On the other half it is sweeter like a dubbel or a dull quad; figs, dark fruit and molasses.
M: Kind of dull and uninteresting but fine.
D: Hides abv, but too much in flavor to make it great in the capacity of drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I bought this bottle during the summer of 2005 and opened it Apr. 2009. I poured the beer into the tulip-ish glass that accompanied the beer when I bought it. The ale poured an apple cider color with a brief ecru head. The ciderlike aroma set the tone for the rich cherry cider like taste and feel of the ale. There is a red wine like after taste that doesn't linger. The flavors are clean and to the point with a bigh show of cherry. The 9.8 ABV is definately there but blends well. Though the lacing is faint it sticks with the brew down to the final sip. there is a good amount of carbonation in this beer, you tell at a glance but the bubbly look doesn't convey exactly in the mouthfeel. This isn't really a "knock 'em back" beer for me but went well with dessert and cheese. THe coolest thing about the beer was the relatively substanital sediment hanging out in the bottom of the glass left behind just to reinforce the Belgian in this ale.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured a very rich, dark brown with ruby hues to it. about a half-inch head that dissipated quickly into a tiny head that was formed just around the circumfrence of the galss, leaving behind very little lacing. Smells of ripe, dark fruits, cherries, figs, sweet, and some alcohol. Taste is also of very ripe dark fruits, figs, prunes, raisins, cherry flavors, very noticeable alcohol burn in the finish. This beer could mask the alcohol better but I guess with a beer like this, aging it would be a wise move to mellow it out. Mouthfeel is full and airy, silky, with a good amount of carbonation. I've had better quads but they are usually from Belgium. This Three Philosophers is probably the best quad coming from the USA, or at least from what I have had. Cheers.

2007 vintage.

The cork pops on this one with almost no effort. Pours a dark redish brown with a good amount of head. The head doesn't stay long but it leaves nice lacing. There are small particles of yeast in suspension but nothing to get concerned about.

Aroma is rich and spicy with a little bit of fruit and a little bit of funk.

Flavor is big and strong, nice layers of black cherries, cloves, and raisins. There's an underlying funky flavor there that isn't familiar and makes me wonder if this is normal. It's a little earthy, a little sour, and a little unpleasant. Perhaps it's the yeast because their saison is similar in that respect.

Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style, medium-full body, good carbonation.

Drinkability is okay but not the best. High alcohol and unusual esters and funk make it a bit of a mystery. I want to like it but I'm a bit disappointed.

- from the notes
A - short head atop a reddish brown clear beer.
S - a little fruity with plenty of sweetness.
T - a touch of yeasty flavors and a big dose of sweetness with a bit of cherry.
M - sticky sweetness overall.
I wasn't satisfied for the price and the hype.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Big, luscious head on a ruby/copper beer. The nose is all cherries. The taste is mostly cherries too...it's a lot more kriek than it is Belgium ale. But it doesn't carry it's weight (9.8% ABV) very well...almost like a kriek with a shot of brandy in it. This one would probably improve with a little age.

Recommended Music Pairing - Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

2004 bottling.

Pours a cloudy dark pomegranate and brown. Thin brown head. Micro-bubbles cling to the side of my goblet and rise up the side. Aroma consists of sour cherries, malt, alcohol, fermented grapes, caramel and a hint of chocolate. Mouthfeel has a nice full body to it. The taste is very complex. Starts of very malty and rich. The cherry lambic that was added is blended very nice. I was expecting more of a cherry flavor and this does not over-power at all. They're married very nicely. Some caramel and oak appear midway. Alcohol is apparent in the finish.

This is definitely one to sip and savor. The taste itself was okay, but something was lacking to really set it apart. Not sure if this is better by itself or paired with food. I think the correct food match-up would bring out even more of the flavor nuances that this beer might have. I enjoyed it, yet I wasn't "blown-away" either.

Review from notes

vintage 2010

Pours a dark red/amber with little head.  Smells are the darkest of fruits, some yeast, alcohol and some malt.  Tastes are plums, cherries, yeast and alcohol, pretty damn hot.  Mouthfeel is kinda thick and drinkability is slow, definitely take your time with this beer.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

2005 edition. Corked and caged 750ml bottle. served ~50 deg.

Pours a deep amber with 1 1/2 inch head which sticks around. Appears to be highly carbonated.

The aroma is full with a very floral sweetness. Like rose petals and sugar. There is just a tinge of acidity.

The first taste strikes me as very spicy. There is certainly a clove character. I also get the impression of mint. The finish is sour with a bit of alcohol bite.

This one sips pretty light but burns going down until about mid glass. I can't picture drinking this regularly. It's a flavor experience but one I would take in moderation.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance-2 finger head, didn't linger. Not much lacing either. I'm torn on this beer, overall. I had very high expectations based on what I've read a/b this brewery but I'm a little disappointed. The taste is good (cherries, raisins, warmth) but the booziness in the taste is just too prominent for me to really enjoy it. As others have mentioned, this one is definitely a sipper and best with food.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy ruby red in color. Poured into a Unibroue tulip, and a wonderful creamy head developed. Spotty lacing was noted with lots of floaties.

S: The aromas are a bouquet of sweet smelling malts combined with tart cherry, dark fruits and a hint of booze.

T: Nice mix of sweet malts, with notes of tart cherry, plum, raisin and rum. Not my favorite quad but quite interesting nonetheless.

M: Medium bodied and creamy, and pretty smooth.

D: Not my favorite quad, this one is to be shared.

Overall: Glad I tried it, but not my favorite in the class. The cherry notes bring in an added dimension but it's not quite enough to make this on a steller brew.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

My first blend. After reading the bottle, I see that Lindeman's Kriek is used in the mix. Kreik isn't on my top ten, so I didn't know what to expect.

The pour is really nice, a copperish/brown with a tan head.

The smell is rather complex. Malt, cherry, banana, dirt, and a whole lot of other musty stuff. A whirl wind of aromas.

The taste is pretty much the same. It starts out on the lighter cherry side, a bit tart, then comes the malt and banana. A hint of sweetness starts then it fades to a slightly drier finish.

This has a really smooth mouthfeel but the complex blend of flavors leave me wondering, " Do I really want another one of these?" I really can not figure out what to pair this with. It's would make a for a great appertif but, to complement a meal?

This one may just be to overly complex to make it a session beer. It's not the 9.8 ABV that scares me, I've had much higher and have made a session out of them . I think this one is just a tad to complicated for my taste bubs to make me yearn for more than one.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Poured from a 2010 caged and corked 750ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Pours a turbid tea tinged orange color topped off with 2 fingers of popping eggshell head that hangs around for a few minutes before vanishing. Slight lace on the glass.

Aroma is nice. Sweet molasses and simmering fruits like plums, cherries, oranges, apples. Some honey and slight lemon with a bit of bourbon.

Flavors are off color and out of balance for my taste. I get a metallic overtone as I have with other Ommegang brews. I can't get over that. I shared this with some friends and they said the same thing. The cherries are there, just very subtle. I do get some apple, pear, and plum along with some warming booze. Not terribly bad, but not terribly good either.

Feel is medium bite with a bit more fizzy carb than I'd like from a quad. Maybe that's what they were going for.

Overall, I was kind of disappointed in this beer. I'm a big fan of the quad style. It gets a lot of hype, but I just don't see why.

Edited on 02/12/13:
After encountering 3P on several more occasions since my initial review, I have raised some of my scoring. I find 3P to be insconsistent from batch to batch and my initial impression was likely made from an off batch even though now I can appreciate the beer only slightly more. Cheers.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Look: Dark brown body, beige head.

Smell: Toasted malts, mild cherries, spicy yeast, some citric acidity, faint alcohol.

Taste: Follows the aroma step by step. Chocolate covered cherries inside a toasted cinnamon roll. Sour notes but not lip puckering. Bitter chocolate finish.

Feel: Medium body, nice tight carbonation.

Overall: A fine brew that is to me "misplaced" in category. I should re-review an older bottle in the future. Might be "too fresh" to enjoy thoroughly. Right now the brew stands out like a high alcohol Dubbel or BSDA. For a Quad it falls short. This bottle lacks complexity and depth. The flavors seem to be muddled together so nothing really stands out and says excellence. Like I said before its a fresher review but it still feels like I’m drinking a higher gravity version of their Abbey Dubbel. Still this is worth a shot.

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle into DFH snifter.

A - Pours a cloudy dark brown with a finger of light tan head. Great lacing.

S - Nose is mostly dark cherry, very sweet and with licorice.

T - Extremely sweet and malty. Cherries follow the overwhelming sweetness and then you get a bit of alcohol flavor.

M - Heavy body. Thick and sweet on tongue. Very powerful. Quite dry.

D - Alcohol is present in the flavor and the sweetness can be overbearing. Not for everone. I'm had plenty of 10% beers that were far better at hiding the alcohol, but the alcohol taste is actually an improvement to this beer adn adds a bit to the flavor, making it a touch warming. I'm left a bit disappointed overall, I thought this might dethrone Hennepin as my favorite Ommegang brew, but it falls short.

3.69/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle from Barrel and Barley (Woodstock, GA). 2.99. Labeled 2012, best by 06/2018. Served in a Microbrasserie Charlevoix goblet.

Pours hazy russet orange with a finger and a half sandy head. A thin wisp of head persists, leaving small patches of lace.

Aromas of pitted fruit, brown sugar and sweetened toast.

A good bit of tart cherry drifts in and among other flavors of raisin bread, yeast, mellow dark berries, whole grains, molasses and a little booze. Very sweet without being cloying. A nice malty blend that hides it's alcohol well.

Medium body with fairly strong carbonation. A bit thin and over carbed for my tastes. Sweet cherry aftertaste.

Not my favorite quad but it's good to know that I can swing by any decent beer store at any time to grab some when I'm craving the style. It's a solid brew with enough going for it that I revisit periodically.

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer starts out great, every aspect would start with a high score. But before finishing the bottle, the taste starts to build in an uneven direction. Not quite sure how that happens, but I've consumed four bottles and it was the same each time: I loved it at the start and was ready to put it down half-way in. I'm a fan of Belgian Quadrupels and there are other brands I'm going to score next, this one just didn't do it for me.

3.68/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer looks amazing in the chalice I'm using. It's a rich, cloudy brown with a thick khaki head. The retention is above average, but as it dissipates, there's no lacing. Makes no difference, it looks majestic.

Again, there's a richness to this beer. Spices are prevalent in the nose, as well as some toffee notes and the sweet fruits from the kriek.

While the taste isn't bad, it's a bit disappointing as the flavors don't shine through over the power of the high ABV. Mostly, I can only detect some cloves and alcohol in the taste.

The alcohol is just a bit too strong for this to score higher in the mouth. The heat from the ABV is ever present and overpowers everything else. There's slight sweetness, but the finish is both hot and ever so slightly tart and dry.

I had high hopes for this beer, but it didn't really deliver. The alcohol needs to be toned down a bit so the cherry plays more of a factor.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang