Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,008 | Hads: 6,018
4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

I was a bit reluctant to bu y the 75cl bottle, fearing that I may not like it and have to waste half a bottle or more...now I wish I had bought the 75cent bottle. I found a small 12 oz bottle in a whole sale distributer in NYC, I snapped it up because I felt it the perfect oppertunity to give it a shot.

I was very pleasantly surprised. I was afraid the lambic would overpower the beer..not at all...it blended quite nicely.

It poured with a beautiful tan/maroon head which lingered through the first third of consumption. The smell was great, warm, the flavor was perfect. The lambic made the beer spring to life on my tongue, delaying the alcohol taste (9.5%) until the instant before swallowing. The finish was strong, and not at all sour as I was fearing. Really a great beer. I look forward to this one in the fall.

Ommegang is s-erious brewery, and I look forward to any new beer they produce

4.9/5  rDev +18.9%

I have been so excited all day to finally have this beer, even though it was very expensive this has been on my MUST TRY list for awhile and was highly recommended to me by two friends who love good beers.

A - dark raisin in color, good fizzy head that fades quick, bubbly like champagne in the glass

S - not as sweet on the nose as I had anticipated, has a sweet undertone with light spice and malt

T - This is seriously the best beer I have ever had. It tastes like figs, banana bread, caramel, cherries, yeast...there is very slight orange in the aftertaste, mixed in with all of the subtle sweetness. This tastes like a beer you want to chew. Pure heaven.

M - Smooth smooth....carbonation is medium to high in the glass, but it really is so smooth feeling. it feels like it coated my mouth with goodness that is lasting for a very long time....(hope forever!). there is absolutely no burn of alcohol in the feel at all.

O - Best beer I have ever had. There is no way that anyone could NOT love this beer. I wish it was more affordable because I would make it my one and only. Made it 4.5 overall just because of the price factor.

4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

Learned that this batch was over 1 ½ years old. She aged beautifully. Connoisseur tasting, Kennett Square

This beer poured a dark ruby/mahogany color that was cloudy in appearance. The head that was produced was minimal and short lived, just a thin covering that was tan/beige colored. No lace. The aromas were intense and bold! Smells of bourbon, port wine, wooden aging barrels, big dark fruits (raisins, plums, black cherries), sweet dark caramel malts, and alcohol. After I took my first of many whiffs I hoped that the flavors would and had to be as good as the nose. And they absolutely were. Tastes of rich dark sweet malts, dark fruits, fruits macerated in alcohol, port wine and the barrels that they were aged in, caramel, spice (hints), alcohol and a wisp of granny smith apple tartness at the end. Aftertaste was filled with port wine and fruit. Heavy bodied, and thick. Big complex flavors that are rich and heavenly and the warmth from the alcohol were truly inviting. Wow what a beer truly amazing how all the flavors compliment each other so well. Glad I had the chance to experience it, several times in one day.

4.89/5  rDev +18.7%

A - Cloudy brown with a mixed head of tan foam. Not particularly long lasting.

S - Definite fruity cherry with rich toffee, vanilla, and molasses. Touch of funky Belgian yeast.

T - Sweet, rich and fruity. Cherry isn't that prominent, with much of the flavour being caramelized sugars and molasses. Not overly tart, but with a hint of acidity. Malt is huge and works well with the kiss of hop bitterness in the back end. Alcohols well hidden.

M - Medium bodied with a slight chewiness and mild carbonation/

D- Heck yeah. Probably not sessionable, but I wouldn't mind trying. Huge flavours and well balanced. Very complex.

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

we found this at Moe's beer store ,center st. Jupiter fla

having Ommegang ale's in the past we knew we would be impressed and we were.
this came in a 4 pak of 12oz bottles slightly different than the usual large bottles

served in a malt glass,pours with a 4" head that lingers ,fine carbonation and nice ruby, red colour

nose:malt ,fruity yeast nose ..way it's supposed to be !
taste: belgian candies, almost a cherry lambic flavor and malt with a clean finish ..no hops or bitters ...just right
exceptional flavor the brewer here knows his stuff and continue to make fine ales

if i were to convert a budweiser drinker to a real beer this is the one
all time favorite

the beer of the working class --

4.88/5  rDev +18.4%

This is one of those beers that makes me smile when I see a bottle of it. It's one of the brews that ignited my passion for good beer. Anyways, what I enjoy about Three Philosophers it that it's a heavy complicated beer, but it's so balanced and drinkable. It pours a deep mahogany color, which most closely resembles a dark tea, with a foamy light tan head. It has a very subtle scent, with slight cherry notes and a maple sweetness to it. The flavor ranges from a caramel nuttiness to an oaky barrel character. The finish is crisp and brings home the cherry undertones. All around this is just a great beer and one of my favorite domestic selections.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Very smooth in all respects! Nothing new for most folks on here, just what I'd consider a great "sipping beer."

Only knock against the beer is the lack of a distinct finish. Has so much distinct aroma and a wonderful feel up front that I wanted more from the back end of the taste.

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Never heard about this until I went into the Pittsford Wegmans' beer center, for $4.99 I couldn't resist... and I was not disappointed!

A - poured a lovely clear reddish brown copper color with a creamy white head that kept well until the last drop from the wine glass.

S - like many other reviews, I concur with a distinct initial cherry aroma, but I also get a hint of malts, grapes, and yeast, all adding towards a complex mixture with a touch of spices and burn of alcohol

T - where to begin?! The malty tartness is complemented with a dash of cherries and a kick of alcohol that is actually well hidden in the flavor. You get more of an alcohol "texture" than an alcohol "taste". Complex and bold.

M - medium bodied, texture is well emphasized especially by the generous carbonation.

D - I feel that this is a beer that we should consider for quality, not quantity. With that said, I daresay this is a most drinkable beer that is not for the faint of heart, nor is it a beer for the chugger. This is a classy beer that should be treated with respect and care.

Overall - After the first bottle was emptied, I bought another 3: 2 for cellaring and 1 for immediate use. This beer was the first Ommegang product I've had the pleasure to try and I was not disappointed. I hope their other brews are as good, if not better!

btw, I found this to go well at cellar temperature (or room temperature too!) with a light dinner (perhaps some Greek food or a chicken caesar salad) and mild cheddar cheese :)

4.87/5  rDev +18.2%

Pours a cloudy, deep, red-brown with a long lasting tan head. Leaves some sticky lacing and the head finishes as a thick lacy ring with a few self sustaining clouds.

Smell is rich dark dates and dried figs and the faintest of traces of dried cherries and a strong whiff of alcohol.

Taste is strongly alcoholic. Some medicine like notes. Dried sweet-tart cherries, dried cranberries, tawny port, iodine, alcohol, a little dried sweetness and a longish slightly bitter dry finish.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for a brew of this gravity. Though overall it is a medium-heavy bodied brew.

Buy a few bottles, drink some, and cellar some for later.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Unbelievable, they say it couldn't be done. But it was. I tasted both the lambic and the belguim ale, and they mixed well. Two for one. Dark and carbonated, fruity, yet dry. I had so many great tastes in my mouth I felt like I never tried beer before. And one bottle, 750ml, will do you. Any more and lights out. A perfect feeling.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. The appearance is as should be with a Belgian Quad. Pours a thick off white head that recedes rather fast. Very dark, but crisp if you let it sit for a while. The smell is rich and caramel like.

Taste is much like the smell. Very rich with an upfront caramel note. The aftertaste houses a Lambic or Saison hint. Not overpowering... the perfect blend. Very smooth on the tongue. All and all, an incredible beer.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Opaque dark brown with hints of dark red when held up to the light. Minimal to no head.

S - A slight hint of booze, but that is quickly overtaken by a lovely aroma of dark chocolate and cherries.

T - Basically the same as the smell. The heat of the alcohol gives way to dark chocolate and cherry flavors, but lingers nicely. Absolutely fantastic.

M - Not horrible, but a little bit thin for my taste. For this kind of drink I'd rather have something that errs on the side of too thick than too thin.

D - Even at a high alcohol content, I would have no problem downing a whole bottle of this.

Notes - I'm not normally the biggest fan of Belgian ales, but I have yet to try an Ommegang brew that I don't like. This one is no exception.

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

A - pours a deep ruddy brown with scarlet hues, 1 finger of slightly off-white bubbly head that recedes fairly quickly but maintains a nice layer of soapy foam that leaves some lacing
S - dark fruits, belgian yeast, alcohol, spices
T - dark cherries, belgian yeast, dates, alcohol, spices (ginger?), caramelized sugars, earthiness, toffee as it warms...wow
M - medium-bodied, sticky, nice moderate carbonation
D - this is a serious brew at 9.8 abv and is so easy to drink...I fell in love with this a long time ago and it's still great today. I could drink as many as it took for me to not be able to drink anymore...but I wouldn't ever do that because I respect beer....lol

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Poured into my Chimay goblet this beautiful red,amber liquid produced a one finger head. The smell was of the promise of just what this beer is, a rich Belgian ale mixed with a cherry Lambic. The mouth feel is creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation to keep it interesting. The taste is heavenly. I love the sweet malts,caramel, and the cherry-vanilla finish. Just enough of the Lambic coming through to end on a sweet note. Where the 9.8% abv is hiding, I can't tell. This is by far one of the best drinking experiences I have encountered. The "breast milk" of beer!

4.85/5  rDev +17.7%

Dark chocolate color very inviting. Good head upon pour dropping to a thin coating. Lacing throughout.

Smell: Complex. As are all quads. With all the goodies in this one, even more complex. Very pleasant though. Inviting. Full of flavor and complex multiple smells. A good deal of alcohol involved here. Cherries, loads of dark malt, chocolate, raisens, a treat.

Taste: Predominatley... smooth. So smooth. Silky. The style of this beverage has been embraced by this brewer, and they have done well. So the rating is (5!) Can't get any better!

Mouth: Again, smooth. silky. Glides along the way like a feather with so many exceptional flavors along the way..I couldn't imagine anything better, so the rating is (5).

Drinkabilty: "Sessionable" to an extent. Hold onto your seats due the high alc rating. But if your drinking quality beverage like this you're not likely to be one to be silly or stupid. Do not attempt to drive anything short of a lawn tractor. You'll get busted. This is one of those "two's too many" beers. Exceptional quality involved with this brew.

Highly enjoyable, drinkable beer, well qualified of my (5) rating.

Kind of like being at the "top" of the beer world, when you find something like this beverage.

Get some, try some. Enjoy. Congrats to the brewmaster on this one.

...WIlly.. outa Wanaque, NJ

Wonderful, all-around.

A strong beer, no question, but with a complex flavor, smooth and light mouth feel, extremely pleasant aroma, and very drinkable, provided you know how to appreciate a beer of this strength and style.

It's strong, which is evident in every aspect, but the flavors do not let the alcohol take over. Reddish-brown in color, with a minimal head and carbonation make this a fine sipping beer.

This particular bar serves it in its official glass, which is a small 9 oz. wine glass. All aspects of drinking this fine brew are a treat, without question.

If you have the opportunity to enjoy this beer on tap, by all means take it. It's worth it.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

This is currently my favorite beer. I wish I had this on tap at home.Kind of pricey. I love this beer. Cherry beginning with an abbey ale finish. Complex.Color,smell,taste,overall a wonderful beer made in the U.S. This is better than the Chimays,sorry guys.

4.84/5  rDev +17.5%

I was recommended this a while back and it ended up being my first entry to trying microbrews. Amazing smell and first taste note as with other beers of this type gotta let it temp up a bit.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

I tried as best I could not to have the Plato quote on the side of the bottle influence my rating...but the quality of this beer more than makes up for it. This is a truly inspiring brew. Let's go item by item...

Appearance: Very dark, but holding the glass to the light reveals that it is, in fact, one of the deepest reds I've ever seen in a beer. It also produces a huge head, almost perfectly formed. This one looks just perfect.

Smell: Begians usually have just a tad too harsh a scent for my tastes, and this one isn't too different, however there is an undercurrent that makes this much more complicated than just another Belgian. The Cherry Lambic comes through strongly, as does a distinct maltiness, and perhaps a half-dozen other things that I just can't identify. Nice and complex.

Taste: Absolutely lives up to the smell. This is no standard Belgian, but a blend off fruit and spices so complicated that I could spend the whole night naming what I think is in it, and probably not get anywhere near the true recipie. For philosophers? Hell yes, who else could take a guess at the ingredients? Sweet, malty, cherry, acidic, some kind of yeast unlike anything I've tasted before, this one's got everything.

Mouthfeel: This is usually where I knock Belgians a few points, but this one goes down nice and smooth. There's a thickness and heaviness I'm not used to in the style, but which pleasently surprises me.

Derinkability: Perhaps the most drinkable Belgian Ale I've ever had. A tad expensive, as the entire style seems to be sometimes, but if I had an everlasting supply of this, I think I'd be a happy man.

This one needs to be tried. Get one at the earliest opportunity.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

This is the one that started it all for me...i went into the store looking for something else, but was intrigued enough to purchase this upon not finding what i initially went to get. i have recently taken a break from the Three Philosophers, but now that I have a new bottle in the house I will take this opportunity to post my thoughts on the subject...

Appearance: served from a corked and caged bottle, Three Philosophers pours an attractive dark autumn copper with a fair amount of light tine head, slowly fading to a slight ring and nice lacing.

Smell: The cherries are evident up front, along with a slight almost wine-like cabernet scent on the back end.

Taste: Rich and sweet, the cherries are evident on the tongue but they far from overpower the taste, which is balanced by a medium flavored and relatively subtle announcement of alcohol (given the 9.8% content, i would have figured a more pronounced alcohol taste)

Mouthfeel: this is a very pleasant, subtle brew; sweet and smooth on the palate.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful drink, perfect in its 25oz. serving size; this is a great sipper for a relaxing weekend afternoon or dinner/after-dinner compliment.

As previously mentioned, this is the drink that piqued my interest in the style in particular and the craft in general. This brew from Ommegand has my highest praise.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Three Philosophers from Ommegang poured a deep ruby/mahogany in body topped by a very tall cream colored head. Aromas of chocolate, cherries, and vanilla emerged. Flavors of cocoa, cherries and vanilla were also joined by dark rum and a moderately bitter finish. There was just a hint of tartness from the lambic, but it was just a hint. It had medium body and carbonation. A very slight alcohol warmth came in the finish.

I enjoyed this very much. Brewery Ommegang delivers high quality at reasonable prices. They might be the biggest bargain in craft beer.

4.83/5  rDev +17.2%

Ommefest on tap. I've ever only had this on tap but can't wait to open my 07 at home. Pours dark with a malty cheery chocolate nose and follows straight up on the pallet. Very complex and a great desert beer with dark chocolates. It's one of those beers I can't wait to see in 5 years. So damn great, my favorite ommegang.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

A soft brown body pours out into a Chimay goblet; off-white, gently settling head--strong head that holds sway...fragrant, ester-laden bouquet strikes immediately--the lambic quality plays nicely in the crisp Hallertauer hops--malts are balanced well enough to hint at something amber...light, soft flitter on the lips and teeth; smooth enough to sneak through to the throat without much fanfare...definite acidic grape presence...hops keep the taste tart...the 9.8 % alcohol is present, yet overall accomplishes a mellow, malty finish; almost no aftertaste--this beer excels in its self-control... a wonderful Easter ends with this Quadrupel, and a great end at that--with the bold passion of a merlot, Three Philosophers displays body and taste sophisticated enough... the Ommegang guys miss little, and this beer could keep me philosophical with a rather clear buzz as the bottle drains...

4.82/5  rDev +17%

This came in a nice looking 750ml corked bottle. This appears a nice brown color with dark red hues in the light with a nice sized beige head. While receding down to a collar of bubbles there are nice sheets of lace left clinging to the glass that stay for the duration. A very complex aroma rises out of the glass the smells of sweet fruits, caramel malt and the cherry lambic can be detected as well more so when it warms. There are also trace amounts of alcohol and spice in the nose as well. The taste starts of with the sweet caramelized malts with fruits such as apples and cherries coming through. The finish has a good earthy hop flavor, slight alcohol with a lingering cherry taste. There is so much going on in the taste I will need to pick up a few more bottles to fully appreciate this tasty brew. Mouthfeel is full and creamy with a coating light fruit sweetness that is amazing. This is defiantly a sipper but I could sip this all day provided I had no plans. This is defiantly one of my new favorite beers, great job by Ommegang.

4.82/5  rDev +17%

Poured from a 750ml caged corked bottle.

A deep ruby brownish color with the obligatory 'funky' smell of a Belgian style ale, with cherries, plums and a bit of raisins and spice.

A bit of fizz on the mouthfeel and nice lacing on the glass.

Taste of spice cake, raisins and plums, cherries more in the aftertaste. Slight bitterness in the finish too. If you can go a bit between sips this beer leaves a wonderful taste in the mouth for some time. Smells so good too.

Highly reccommended, this is one of my desert island beers.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang