Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

750ml : tulip

When held to light it is a fairly translucent, deep cherry-mahogany with some yeast particles being kicked around by the carbonation and a foamy, billowy tan head.

I can certainly pick up the kriek, with cherry upfront blending quickly into slightly boozy, dark fruits as well as spice, molasses notes.

Foamy, medium body, with a faint warming finish.

A very well done quad. Very inviting nose, and the taste is quite enjoyable. Though I felt that the individual characteristics in the taste weren't quite as distinct as in the aroma.

4.01/5  rDev -3.1%

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend about a month ago for $4.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. This is the last of the Ommegang beers that I picked up while I was up north, A Quad blended with a Kriek peaks my interests, so lets see how it goes. Bottled on April 23rd 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into tulip.

A- The bottle is nice looking, and it's a little eye catching with the James Bond style silhouettes on the label. It poured a slightly amber like red color that took on some ruby and crimson hues when held to the light with four fingers worth of rocky tan head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, I have no complaints at all and I've never gotten this good of head and lacing from a Quad before.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of dark fruit aromas with no single fruit sticking out the most and it's immediately followed by a nice cherry like aroma that had just a slight medicinal like aroma to it, the cherries blend nicely with the dark fruit and there's a good balance to it. Up next comes the malts that have a slight brown bread and caramel malt aromas, but it's a nice toffee aroma that seems to stick out the most and it's followed by a Belgian yeast aroma and lighter alcohol aroma. This beer has a pretty good aroma, the Kriek aspect was noticeable and it blended well with those typical Quad aromas.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by those same fruit aspects that I got in the aroma, but this time the dark fruits seems to stick out most and the cherries show up in the background and they aren't a little medicinal like they were in the aroma. Up next comes the malts with the toffee showing up and there's just a slight bit sweet and caramel like malts in the background followed by a lighter amount of Belgian yeast flavors. On the finish there's some noticeable alcohol that's a little more warming than I expected and there's a hardly any bitterness on the finish with a malty and dark fruit aftertaste with a little bit of cherries in the background.

M- Fairly smooth, a little rich, creamy, slightly sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a higher amount of carbonation that surprisingly works well with this beer. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good beer and a good example of a Quad, even though it's a blend of a Quad and a Kriek I thought this beer was much more Quad like with Kriek aspects showing up in the background and blending well with the Quad Like flavors. I would be able to tell there was at least some cherries in this beer by the aroma, but I don't think I could tell that this was blended with a Kriek by the flavors alone. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it was slightly warming, but I thought it was pretty smooth and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, I wouldn't rule out drinking a couple of these if I was in the mood for this kind of beer. What I like the most about this beer was the balance, I'm not sure how this beer would be if the Kriek was the dominant aspect, but I don't think I would enjoy as much since I liked the Quad flavors taking the lead with the Kriek aspects showing up in the background. What I liked the least about this beer was nothing, but I do think that cherries could have shown up just a little more in the taste. I would buy this beer again, it was a little expensive, but I could see myself buying a bottle or two once in a while and I would recommend this to anyone who likes Quads. All in all I was happy with this beer, I enjoyed it just the way it was and I now see why this beer is as popular as it is, I don't know what took me so long to try it, but I'm glad I did. Good job guys, this is a nice take on a Quard and I think blending is something that is very under utilized by American Brewery's. Keep up the good work guys, so far this is my Favorite beer from Brewery Ommegang and even through this was a blend I still think it's one of better Quads I have tried.

4.15/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a silky dark brown with a small beige head.

Sweet, dark fruits, ripe cherries, malty toffee, cake, hint of booze.

Sweetness is a bit more restrained in taste. Dark fruits and malty sweetness are prevalent with earthy bitterness in the back. Hidden alcohol, somewhat woody aftertaste.

Luscious but not overbearing. Well carbonated. Sipper.

Nice blend and an excellent Quad overall.

3.5/5  rDev -15.5%