Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,981 | Hads: 5,902
4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A-Dark brown appearance with amber hues. It's obvious this is heavy malt beer.

S-A full bouquet of aroma with vanilla and cherry notes.

T-Rich earthy tones, heavy malt presence. I am detecting some earthy and vanilla tones. It also has a fruity and sweet character yet puts in a balanced finish.

M-Smooth and pleasant

O-A unique full bodied that displays a lot of complexity. (381 characters)

I have a question. This may sound dumb but it's just a little confusing to me. Well....first of all, I love this beer. One of my favorites. Anyway, when I'm rating a beer.....let's say the color......is the "color" rating based on how light or dark it is? Or is it based on how pretty or ugly it is? With the smell, is it how good or bad it smells? Or how potent or non potent it smells? Do these questions make sense or am I just a stupid dummy? Pardon my ratings......again, I don't know what they mean. I'll change them once I know. (535 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2014 Vintage

Poured into chalice

A: Pours a deep, hazy mahogany with a tight, fine, khaki colored head and lively carbonation.

S: Oak and cherries on the nose. The cherries blend with dates, raisins and baking spices in aroma and with a slight hint of barnyard funk.

T: Rich and fruit forward, with the Kriek strongly representing itself in the blend. The belgian candi sugar and intense dark malt wrap around your palette like roasted, fruity silk. Rustic yeast flavors pick up in the finish to remind you that this is no Trappist creation.

M: Velvety, with typical Ommegang strong carbonation.

O: Three Philosophers is a Quad away from the pack. The addition of true Belgian Kriek give this brew a really unique twist that makes this beer feel like luxurious desert in a glass. While not strictly true to style, this beer if a must try if you're a fan of all things strong, dark, and Belgian. (900 characters)

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

Generally I have found Ommegang beers less than expected, but this one was good although not great. A hint of cherry, not as dense and malty as most quadrupels. (161 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured a 750 into a goblet. A reddish brown beer fills the goblet offering a hearty cream colored head. It smells just like a belgian quad, dates raisins? defiantly fruits of that nature. I get the cherry straightforward upon sipping, not overwhelming just the right amount of blend with the kriek. Slight carbonation in the mouth. A real nice quad from Ommegang. (364 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased in a 4-pak. Glad to be able to use my Ommegang goblet.
A - Dark, hazy amber with a thick head that dies down quickly.
S - Yeasty with hint of malt.
T - Good solid belgian quad with just a little bit of the cherry and alcohol.
M - Medium mouth feel, fairly high carbonation.
O - Very enjoyable beer. It's only 2% cherry lambic and I would suggest they push the cherry a little more and see what happens. This beer tasted so good I drank almost the whole glass before I started my review. Of course I have 3 more cooling in the fridge... (546 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

So very refreshing. The hint of cherry really comes out and makes this beer just a bit nicer. No question about its Belguim style, the funkiness of the yeast/hop combination separates this from other USA beers.

I enjoy Ommegang, but I think I like visiting the Baseball Hall of Fame even better. (298 characters)

4.06/5  rDev -1.2%

This was one of my favorite Christmas gifts - I love the name, the packaging, and I've been very interested in trying an Ommegang beer for a long time.This definitely fits the BA mantra of "drink better, drink less." I really like the way this one looks and smells. The aroma gives you no illusions - it says "I am a yeasty, fruity, boozy beast of a beer". There is plenty of raisin and black cherry in both the nose and the taste. The finish is somewhat tart, which is a bit unexpected. There is a lovely alcohol burn after the third or fourth swallow, in the most pleasant way possible. One bottle of this is plenty for tonight. (630 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is generally not my my favorite style of beer. (A little darker and sweeter than I would usually drink). But this was very good, smooth, and tasty. Be careful...I imagine the high ABV could sneak up on you. :-) (219 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

APPEARANCE - Dark, opaque, 3-finger head that dissipates, red, amber, foamy. OK lacing.

AROMA/SCENT - Hops, malts, yeast, fruit, pine, raisin.

TASTE - Hops, malts, sweet, nutty, pine, fruit, brown sugar, raisin, apple.

MOUTHFEEL/PALATE/TEXTURE - Good carbonation, bubbly, light, effervescent, crisp, refreshing.

VALUE - $10.99 for an 25 oz. bottle - good buy.

OVERALL/DRINKABILITY - Only 2% cherry. Not as fruity as I expected. It's really just a hint of cherry. (470 characters)

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Dark brown color, fizzy light head that quickly faded, no lacing. Aroma was figs, plums, raisins with some tart black cherry and grassy notes. Taste was pretty close to the smell, with the tartness from the cherries melding with the candi sugar sweetness to form a nice complex mix, with just the right amount of yeasty funkiness to let you know it's a quad. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, nicely carbonated, and silky smooth. Overall this was pretty good, but not quite up the stature of a Abt 12 or a Rochefort 10. (518 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Packaged 10/14. Pours a clear dark red, brown tinted; two fingers of cola-fizzy light brown colored head settles to a thin ring; rings of lace try but don't stick. Smell: brown sugar, brown bread, notes of unfiltered apple juice, prune, black cherry...maybe. Taste: sugary dates, dark brown sugar, lots of cherry, notes of stale grain and banana, earth and clove in the finish. Feel is fluffy but carbonation is a bit aggressive. Interesting combo, pretty tasty. (462 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Reviewed in Episode 2 of Beauty and the Beerd.

Pours a cool muddy clay puddle type of color with a lingering head.
Complex, interesting, and delicious. Definitely one to enjoy with a partner, and one to let warm up a bit.
A beer I enjoy every time I get my hands on it. (270 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow. I had seen ratings of this and immediately built it in my mind to be a life changing experience, and while it did fall just short of the latter description, it certainly wasn't far off. I suppose it'd get a full 5 out of me if its finish was just a tad smoother, because I really can't come up with anything else legitimate as a complaint. (344 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Aroma of dark fruits and breads. Pours ruddy brown clouded body with a more than generous beige head. Head lasts and produces a lacing that lingers all the way down the glass. Taste is sour cherry, a touch alkaline very alchoholic. Unique. (239 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Really nice beer. Rich, malty nose...big body, malty-sweet. Some of the characteristic Belgian yeast finish came through. Agree with other reviews that said you need to let this one breathe a bit before diving in. I had this one out of a corked bomber bottle. A little bit of Brussels here in the states. (305 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Very good, but not overwhelmingly so, especially at $17 a 4 Pack. I'd buy it again, but I've had significantly better Quads for quite a bit less price. (151 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

Good, really good, but not my favorite quad. Rich and malty, but more carbonation than I had been hoping for. Perhaps it was my error in not letting it breath for a bit. Overall an enjoyable quad, not as much "wow" as Rochefort 10, but more drinkable nonetheless. (266 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -39.2%

I personally did not care for it. I am not a fan of the brown ales. But it is smoother than most of the brown ales I have tried. Hints of caramel. Did pair with my gingerbread cookies. (184 characters)

Full bodied, darker ale which will surprise your palate with rich and malty flavors. Take a big whiff before taking this one back, and enjoy the deeper flavor of this quad. (172 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

While good, I was indisputably disappointed by this beer because of how substantial the hype is. Dark, rich, and smooth with a slight alcohol burn and beautiful presentation, this beer is unmistakably a fine piece of craftsmanship. However, to my taste it was not complex enough to be world class in this style.

I also should note that my rating reflects my preference for dark, malty beers with minimal hop character. Three philosophers finished too hoppy for me to buy it again. (487 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

Bottle 750 ml in tulip glass

A: lighter than I had remembered/expected, a color very similar (if I recall correctly) to St. Bernardus prior 8, heavy, oily brown color but with a dash of subtle cherry red (derived from the blending of the kriek I'm assuming). A decent head presence, 2 fingers ivory and creamish color, retention was mild at best, decent lacing.

S: very underwhelming. If I had it to do over again, I would not have used the St. Bernardus glass, the mouth being as open as it is, any prominent aroma dissipated rather quickly, so that may or may not have been my fault. Still, it feels unfair to blame the glass for a shortcoming that a beer of this esteem and stature has. With the inclusion of the leifmans kriek, one would expect to get at least a modicum of cherry in the nose but I detected little to none. mainly it smelled sweet in a boozy fashion, not boozy in and of itself but simply in terms of the nature of the sweetness.

T:Honestly I found the two beers blended here to be, at least in this case, not complementary and generally incompatible, this is not to say that the idea of blending a quad with a kriek is inherently bad, simply to say that to me, it does not so much work here. the dryness, tartness, and acidity of the kriek take center stage here in a big way, disappointingly though, the fruit notes have been relegated to the very back of the profile at best. the cherry is overpowered by the quad, which is in turn overpowered by the tart dry acidity of the kriek.

M:Waaaaaaay too carbonated, as I believe someone else noted, this beer kinda destroys the palate, the heavy carbonation bolsters the briney flavor coming through from the dryness and acidity of the kriek, it buries the malt of the quad under all of that fizzy weight. this beer is very sharp and burns a tad

O:this is not a bad beer, but I believe it to be an overly ambitious one, I think perhaps most of all that's what makes it unsuccessful. The quad style is a monster of a beer style built on the legendary brewing traditions of the trappists. generally, though not as much so in the wake of the later phase of this our american craft beer revolution, very few brewers even attempt to brew quadrupels and even fewer do so with true success. the great ones generally come from the trappists of belgium. three philosophers then, may very well be an adequate or to be more descriptive not a bad beer but once again that's the largest part of the problem, Making a 'passable' quad, either in the sense that it's just not bad for beer or even in the sense that it's just not bad for a quad and even tastes like one, is a lot like duplicating a famous painting, sure you have the skill, but if it is not better than the original or at least equally good yet different, who gives a shit. the equally good yet different here was supposed to be the kriek, and if it truly worked in this beer, I'd be inclined to give it high praise indeed all of the praise it deserves. So while points are most assuredly deserved here for craft and a willingness to experiment, what we are left with is a briny, adequate beer with all of the worst characteristics of the beer it blends in, with none of the things that render those bad characteristics complementary. (3,258 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

The bubbles flow and stay,
Holding on for one more sip,
My teeth crunch in to,
Caramel apple at the carnival,
But this one gets you drunk.

A: Incredibly well carbonated with a thick creamy head that refuses to go down. Beautiful burnt toffee brown -- a little hazy but not opaque (3/3)
S: I’m gonna go with caramel apple and alcohol. Is there any better combination? (9/12)
T: Freshly picked apple at the front with a good deal of toffee/caramel in the middle and end, but the aftertaste is almost like a light coffee. (16/20)
M: Very bubbly with a medium body considerable dryness on the finish (5/5)
O: Decidedly smooth. If I had to fault it for anything it would be that: the flavors could be richer and more complex in a quad, but if I’m introducing a newbie to good beer, this is the first quad I’d reach for probably. Very approachable (8/10)
41/50 (868 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Ommegang has become my Oh My God! Belgian Replacement. The further, deeper they get into the styles the better they are as with this deep, cherry Quad.

A: Cloudy russet body with an initial, thick head of beige density; laces well.

S: Perfect Dessert beer. The fruit is ample. Cherries first, with chocolate and caramel highlights.
Going to be good with either dark chocolate anything or big cheeses.

T: Balanced see saw with sweet cherry start, following the smell, and then the sour, acidic balance, and finishes with woody tones: cedar, church, incense.

F: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: A bargain at a $3 single. (633 characters)

I give this a 4.3/4.35

Bomber to a tulip

Plum, pruny, cherry-slight tartness reminiscent of the tartness of a cranberry, concord grape also prominent as well. Mild malty sweetness. Slight cooked caramel notes along with some hints of light toasted notes. Boozy notes present off the grape flavor. Soft earthy, hoppy bitterness balances the malt sweetness nicely. Second time I've had this brew in 10 days, it just keeps getting better. A nice end of summer, start of fall beer. I am glad this is s year around brew. (517 characters)

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang