Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  9.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
2.45/5  rDev -40.8%

Pours a reddish gold with a head that quickly collapses.

Aroma: woody, tart, musty, earthy, peppery, fruity (cherries of course), but solvent. As it warms, a caramel-like sweetness comes out, along with a slight chocolate note.

Taste: intense phenolic notes, candied fruit (think fruitcake) pervades the palate with a slight mustiness. Alcohol comes on quite strong here, and not the good alcohol either - I'm talking fusels. Fermentation seems to have been run a mite too hot. The cherry essence is there, but it gets buried under an astringent, pepper-and-clove mess of flavors that leads into a finish that is surprisingly tolerable. Almost wine-like, and not in a good way.

Mouthfeel: medium body, high carbonation. Slick on the tongue (fusels again?)

Drinkability: Not so much. And by not so much I mean not really at all.

Disappointing - I have been looking forward to this beer and was happy to hear it had landed in Texas. It *could* be a good beer - IMO it just needs more attention to fermentation of the base (98%) beer and blending.

beertastegood, Mar 20, 2007

Serving 12 oz bottle.

Pours a very hazy deep maroon boasting little carbonation feeding a lasting half finger thick head with fine red-tinted froth and very little if any lacing to speak of.

Vinous dark stone fruit (think cherries, plums, grapes) dominates the nose with caramel malt, interesting medicinal phenols and some sugary apple. lingering in the background. Sweet fruit seems a bit overdone on the nose.

Dark vinous fruit, cherries and candied apple take hold and maintain their prescense throughout revealing moderate tannins and lemon zest on the finish and aftertaste. After a bit of acid on the entry light dark malts come into play on the mid palate dissapearing back into a sea of ripe vinous fruit. Why does this taste so artificially sweet and fruity, it's way overdone for a quad with little caramel malt to balance so much sweet fruit.

Cloyingly sweet and drying on the aftertaste it's not a dream, I'll give it kudos for a very smooth, neat and thick mouthfeel. A bit of warming alcohol comes through on the off-dry finish. Drink it quickly because this only gets worse as it warms.

I can hardly stand to finish just one. For those who like sweet fruity beers, this is for you but it isn't my cup of tea nor it is a good quad. It is far to sweet, fruity and artificial; contrived is a good word to describe it. Give me a real quad like Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12 or any other quad out there, this can't even being to approach them.

Jwaks, Mar 02, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -40.1%

Chilled 750mL bottle into a glass. 2008 vintage.

A: Pours a slightly murky amber / maroon body in my 1L Hofbrau mug. The first pour is literally more than half foam, with a fluffy 5-finger-thick cap enveloping most of the mug. It retains for over a minute, crackling and snapping all the while, leaving a few wispy trails of lacing in its wake.

S: Cherry up front, but in that artificial manner of Wild Cherry Pepsi; spices, toast, figs, and herbs.

T: Yup, definitely Wild Cherry Pepsi. Not a solid example of cherry flavor, but it's there, nonetheless. Caramel, brown sugar, rummy figs, light spices (cloves), chocolate. Cherries linger well into the aftertaste.

M: Medium-full body with a chewy feel to it. Slightly on the sticky side, with the seemingly artificial cherry giving it a syrupy aftertaste. Well-disguised ABV.

D: I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. On the one hand, it's a pretty solid mid-range quad. On the other hand, a few more bucks will get me a MUCH better beer. The heft of this body (and relatively affordable price) makes me want to use this for food pairing or cooking, but for plain ol' drinking, I think I'll stick with something else.

Arbitrator, Nov 30, 2009
2.48/5  rDev -40.1%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Cloudy, tawny-garnet body with a dense, half-inch taupe head.

S - Aromatic with hints of brown sugar and cherries. Complex malt profile includes nuts and toast, with yeasty dried fruit esters.

T - Somewhat harsh on the palate with hot alcohol, and perhaps a bit phenolic. Tastes of dried apricots, raisins, and dried apples, with a touch of cloves.

M - On the one hand, smooth and creamy with full body and round mouthfeel - on the other, rather biting.

D - The look and smell are there, but in the mouth it's a boozy mess of a beer. Not recommended.

trbergman, Mar 12, 2009

jstein89, Jun 01, 2012

MouthfulOfchris, May 05, 2012

Fermenticusrex, Jan 03, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A- Ok, my fourth Ommegang review, maybe I poured it too slow? There was relatively no head whatsoever. The puny amount left dissapeared quickly. Good amount of carbonation. A nice hazy, maroon color.

S- Cherries, raisins, grapes. Very fruity. Pick up the alcohol after the aromas. Hints of malts, no hops evident.

T- The alcohol is not masked well at all. Very evident upfront. Warming. A slight hint of grapes and berries, but the alcohol is almost over bearing.

M- Very pungent, almost feels like drinking a wine. Does have a slight bready mouthfeel.

D- Deffinitely a sipper. The alcohol does mellow out very slightly as the beer warms. My mistake was probly serving it cold. But compared to other quads this one does not mask the booze well at all.

Notes: I feel like I need to review this one again. My other Ommegang experiences were good, I waited to try this one last because I love Quads. I gotta say, it looks like a quad, it smells like a quad, but it did not taste like one, or have the same mouthfeel. Maybe I poured it wrong and it lost a lot of the elements because this one had no head whatsoever. I have another one that I might age for a few months and review again. I refuse to believe this score, but it will have to do for now.

haazer, Sep 10, 2010

OneLastDisguise, Apr 08, 2012

Jeb37, Dec 01, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -39.6%

Pours a deep brown with reddish hints. Nice foam initially to get a whiff of the aroma, but it fades quickly. Lace hangs around.

What a whiff! Whoa...cherry and alcohol. Almost medicinal, but not entirely bad. Almost a candy like smell. Overall a nose full.

As for the taste, I'm not a big "fruit" beer fan, but I thought I would give this one a shot by the good ratings.. The cherry flavor is not overwhelming, but it lingers on the back of your toungue. The alcohol is present throughout the taste and also hangs around a long time. Because of this, I feel the drinkability is quite low.

This is my first Ommegang and I'm going to have to try some others to really know why people rave about the brewery. While I trust they make good beers, Three Philosophers is not one I will pick up again.

willytime, Feb 22, 2005

lauries444, Jul 20, 2012

robertgurley, Aug 13, 2012

AlaskanYoung, Oct 27, 2012

Mark5252, Jan 17, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -38.4%

2003/750ml. I've saved this for a while. I guess that late Winter is when I deliberate over my aged stock. It pours well. It has a decent head and looks like a good one. The smell is not that revealing to me. The taste is somewhat bitter. Bitter? I then get too sweet and bitter. The carbonation is right but the metallic bitterness is quite a distraction. I wouldn't buy this again.

faernt, Mar 08, 2008
2.58/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearence: Pours a nice ruby red with a thin, beige head.

Smell: The smell is an incredibly spicy alcohol and fruity malt mix. The alcohol is a bit too overwhelming.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is an odd mix of sweet malts and fruits. Tastes almost like a barleywine, only less balanced and mellow. The intesnity and complexity is huge, and is overboard in my opinion. Too much going on to really enjoy the flavor. The mouthfeel is decently creamy and full.

Drinkability and Overall: This beer is too out of control for me. It's not horrible, but the alcohol is really overwhelming, way too much for a 9.8% beer. There are much smoother Quadrupels coming out of Belgium. Try those instead.

santoslhalper, Mar 10, 2005
2.58/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sorry to be a sore thumb, but I didn't think this beer was that tasty at all. I used a nice glass, like the one on the bottle and filled it half with beer, dark cherry and opaque in color. The other half was full of thick tan frothy head. The head did die down rather quickly. I have this around for about an hour now, and it really hasn't improved that much. The smell is of sweet cherry cough syrup or drops (remember Ludens?). What strikes me with the taste is that the cherry syrup is on one side of the room, and the ale is on the other. I am actually shocked that the flavors are not that well blended. It's almost as if someone took one beer and poured it into another. The flavors do seem to blend more the longer it warms, but the aftertaste is bitter, and not bitter in a pleasant hoppy way (medicine theme comes to mind again). I still have one bottle of this, anyone want it?

PatandDavid, Mar 28, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -36%

Aroma is borwn sugary with a bit of sour notes. The cherry aroma is very apparent but there's other yeasty fruit fementation esters too.

Nice garnett/ruby colored, very attractive looking. Big tan head fades quickly but leaves a lasting thin layer.

Kind of treacle flavored malt with pretty stron alcohol flavor. There's some cherry flavor but it seems artificial and doens't really blend well with the other characters. There's some darker malt complexity but there's also a saccrine like sweetness. Flavor is a bit medicinal from the saccrine and what I pick up as cherry extract and not the real deal.

Full bodied and pretty warming in the stomach from the alcohol level.

I guess I'm not the only voice of dissent on this one. I have a hard time getting through a glass of this since I find the blend not very interesting. I'd be more interested in the straight beer from Ommegang.

czechsaaz, Apr 22, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured from a bottle into a chalice glass. Pours a deep burgundy, brown with lots of large yeasty sediment held in suspension. Very dense. Looks great with a big tan head with medium lacing. Unfortunately, the appearance is the most impressive of this beer. The nose is cherry syrup and it just eats up everything else. The yeast in the background, the malt, all are eaten alive by the cherry on this nose. I just couldn’t get past it. The cherry eases up on the first taste. There is lots of fruit ester, phenols, and of course, cherry. It’s very fizzy, and very big on the palate and finishes quite dry. Maybe some time in the cellar would improve this beer by mellowing out that cherry, but as it was, it just wasn't for me.

estlinska, Jun 19, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -35.3%

A: Poured a reddish gold with good carbonation and a white head with reddish hues

S: Cherries, peppers, Earthy with some booze

T: Immediate cherries, too much here. Some dark fruits muted by cherries, Earthy notes with elements of pepper and wood

Mouthfeel: Thin, a little hot and to much cherry going on.

O: Cherry overkill

barleywinefiend, May 10, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this bottle a week ago.

A: Pours a nice cherry / brown with a thin head that quickly dissipates. Looks great.

S: Smells of beautiful cherries. Slight smell of raisins and then alcohol.

T: My first taste was of metal, then cleaned up. First raisins, then cherries, then a dry finish with the alcohol at the end.

M: Carbonated too much for the styel

D: This is a sipping beer. I truly can't drink more than a few goblets.

Overall, an average quad.

wardough, Nov 03, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -34.8%

poured 750 ml to chalice
A: pours ruby brown, impressive head
S: booze, lots of fruit.
T: artificial cherry taste, kind of like cherry cough syrup. tastes like the brewer used cherry extract, threw off the whole beer in my opinion.
M: nicely carbonated lifting the sweetness making way for a light feel.
D: will never buy again belgian Quads are among my top styles and this one was off for me. I did not like it at all, had half the bottle and dumped it, it would have been good, but it could not get over that Cherry flavor that i hated as a kid.

fastsrt, Jan 24, 2010