Join our email list →

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) - Brewery Ommegang

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel)

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Quadrupel (Quad) | 9.70% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) Alström Bros
Reviews: 2,033 | Hads: 6,111
3.65/5  rDev -11.2%

I noticed a good amount of setiment in the bottom of the bottle. Poured into a brandy snifter (that's what I drink my Belgians with since I don't have a chalice). Dark brown with a big off white head with good size bubbles. Nice lace but not a lot of retension.

From what I can remember it smells and tastes similar to the Hennepin but stronger in flavor and alcohol. I smell fruits, maybe prunes, apples, some malt. Taste is the same with a finish of alcohol and some hops. Pretty drinkable. Another good brew from Ommegang.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours with a dark brownish color that fades to a red at the bottom. I was surprised that the body was so clear considering the color was so dark. I could definitely see my fingers clearly through the glass. It smelled exactly the way it should, a nice strong ale with hints of cherries. The taste was reciprocated but the cherries definitely added a nice flavor to the ale. My only problem is for me it tasted a little... well the only way I can describe it is watery. Other than that I thought this beer was great, it felt good in the mouth and even with a high ABV I felt it was more drinkable than other strong ales.

A=Pours reddish amber color with a fluffy 2-3 finger head.
S=Yeast, candy apple, and a background of cherry
T=Big carbonation with some bite/spice. Rhubarb or cherry with a tart and toasted malty followup that lingers for a long time.

This one is a bit over the top but I really like it. Very complex and not quite balanced but surprisingly drinkable. ABV and taste limits how much I pour.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Sweet cherry and ripe grape. Minimal pepper and clove. As it warms I get some of the alcohol sweetness I smell in sherry.

A- Deep red tones, almost like a burgundy. Thin yellowish head. Good lacing in the glass.

F- Complex to say the least. Upfront there's a grape and wine-like flavor. Also some mild pepper and perhaps a little clove. No perceptible bitterness. The fruit sweetness is really present, but not totally dominant, such as you see in the Lindeman's Kriek. The malty base beer is here as well. The finish does have a touch of warming alcohol, but no harshness is present.

M- Bright high carbonation. Very full body, but not cloying.

O- A fun beer to experience. A sipping after dinner beer. This could really sneak up on you otherwise. I like having one every once in a while. Certainly a beer that expands horizons.

4.15/5  rDev +1%

Ommegang Three Philosophers. I am enjoying Belgian styles the more I get inot them.

A: Pours a nice deep ruby brown. A bit hazy with a thick tan head that disapates fairly quickly.

S: Great malt aromas with a hint of sweetness and black cherries. Little to no hop araoma. I almost got a nose full of beer on this one it smelled so good.

T: Similar to smell. Traditional yeast sourness followed by sweet and earthy malts. Darks fruits are noticable and finished with subtly warm alcohol.

M&D: Medium mouthfeel and body. Nice balance between sweet, sour, and alcohol. I could have more than one or two if the high abv didn't knock me down so quickly.

I will definitely have this beer again. My girfriend even liked it.

4.39/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

appearance - murky, brownish, and hints of purple.

smell - cherries, bready malt, raisins and fruity belgian yeast

taste - caramel, dark fruit, plums, fairly sweet.

mouthfeel - nice carbonation, thick mouthfeel, syrupy, with a ton of spritzy carbonation on the end.

overall - tons of dark fruits, caramel, bread, and toffee. Haven't had many quads but this is fantastic. Extremely complex. You gotta love when the smell of a beer is similar, yet different then the flavor. This beer works on all levels for me.

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 release, bomber bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A - A hazy mahogany brown with a slightly red tinge, "luxurious" light brown head which fades fairly quickly. No lacing observed.

S - Mild with slightly spicy yeast and cherries interlaced beautifully. A fair alcohol presence, but overall quite tame.

T - Full and complex. The cherry flavor is beautifully integrated into the entire taste profile, from the broad malt flavor to the slightly spicy finish of yeast. Dark fruits and malts best describe the flavor, not too many exotic flavors but what's there comes together very well. The nice thing about this beer is that the cherry flavor does not come across as syrupy as is the case in many other cherry-infused beers. Not much alcohol for a 10% brew.

M - Creamy yet light and crisp with just the right amount of carbonation. I feel that it could use a slightly heavier feel to really shine, but it is far from a detractor.

D - An excellently complex Belgian-style, quite delightful. I have been saving this beer for just over a year and it was worth the wait. I'd be happy to drink more of this.

3.4/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Served at 46F

Quaffed from a German made lager glass.

Appearance is hazy and mollassasy with brown head.

Nose is of sour milk and Belgium yeast...not appealing

Flavor profile is fantastic and complex. Belch is phenominal. But, the beer is destroyed by a syrupy and sweet texture and flavor which overpowers all the positive attributes.

Flat and syrupy sweet, are the lasting impressions. Terrible outcome for such a well flavored brew.

A- Dark brown with a pretty red tint on the bottom of the glass bowl. Frothy, but quickly disappearing head.

S- Malt, some cherry and other herbal notes. Pleasant, but not anything mind-blowing.

T- Deep brooding flavors showing nutty malts and dark fruit. This needs more bottle age to show the sour components.

M- Heavy carbonation and full bodied. The alcohol adds a bit of heat at the end.

O- This is a serious beer and it bears that weight literally and figuratively. This is the 2011 version and I believe that ignoring this for several months will yield rewards as the complex components come together.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Translucent cloudy brown in appearance, very full tan head. Has some character.

Smell: Appropriate for the style, can detect some of the alcohol and some tart fruit notes.

Taste: I was surprised. At 9.8% ABV I was expecting the alcohol to be overpowering but everything was extremely balanced and smooth. I actually picked up a lot of coffee type notes and a little tart sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Again, was expecting some alcohol bite but was not noticeable, the beer was actually very smooth and almost creamy.

Overall: I was very impressed with this one. Taste was well balanced and overall a well-executed beer, bit unique for the style. This was my first beer from the Ommegang brewery and I will definitely try some others.

4.31/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: copper/ruby with a light brown head. It is a beautiful beer in the light.

Smell: Initial smell of cherries and light hops. Exhaling with beer on the palate highlights the bready flavor.

Taste: Cherry is the initial player in this beer. Bready, yeasty, with a little bit of hops. Boozy, but not so much so that it gets in the way.

Mouthfeel: PERFECT carbonation. Silky below the carbonation.

Overall: This is a very balanced beer, though the lingering aftertaste is not as good as it could be.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Very nice beer, I love this style. Good looks, deep brown with a nice head that walks all the way down. Malty and fruity, well balances, the alcohol was succesfully hiden behind the complex flavor of the beer. The cherries added to this beer come up in the aroma, the taste is not heavily modified. It hits the style perfectly.

Two thumbs up.

4.43/5  rDev +7.8%

Served from 2 12 oz. bottles on a 20 degree F night, perfect weather.
Appearance: Dark red I cannot see light through the glass when held up to the light.
Smell: Raisans or over-ripe fruit.
Taste: Is perfect for a cold winter's night.
Mouthfeel: Heavy not overly carbonated
Overall: A perfect beer for a January night in upstate NY.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Exceptional. I picked this one up after having tried Ommegang's Abbey Ale a few weeks ago. And being a fan of krieks and cherry-based beers, I couldn't resist the curiosity of just what "2% ale with cherries added" meant.

A - Poured out of a 750ml capped and corked bottle into my Delirium Tremens snifter. Shades of ruby, blood and garnet, holding up to the light, it turned solid red with a layer of orange on top. Minimal head retention, but great lacing throughout.

S - Smells of a true Belgian. Tart, fruity banana aroma that's typical of the style/origin. Appetizing, sweet, it smacks of great taste and better things to come.

T - Carbonation first crashes against the palate, but is almost immediately overwhelmed by a big, fat, alcoholic cherry. I love that effect! Tart notes of alcohol come first, but are instantly settled by tones of cherry, biscuit malts. Again, exceptional. Alcohol on the high notes, sugary complex cherry in the middle, biscuits and undertones of toast on the bottom. Imagine crushing a soothing brandy-soaked cherry between your tongue and upper palate.

M + D - Alcohol settled quickly along my tastebuds, it's still a Quadrupel so I'm not knocking it. Wonderful drinkability for this style.

One of the best beers I've ever tried. I'm very satisfied and will return to this one very soon.

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

Been meaning to try this out for a while..

A - Dark tea colored, brown-white head, moderate lacing that doesn't cling to the glass.

S - Boubon maple. Strong boubon smell! Honey with bubblegummy yeast.

T - What a balance! Bitter leaves, maple at the start, bourbon and honey in the middle, finished with a dry cidery taste but the boubon chases it down.

MF - thick, substantial, and moderately fizzy. Less carbonation than I'd have expected but what I'd have prefered - so a happy surprise.

D - Easy to drink for the type. It does sit heavy in the stomach. A great beer for sipping at a fire, having philosophical thoughts - much like wine in that regard.

I typically like a more traditional Belgian dark or abbey, bit this was a pretty cool switch-up! Will get again.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

P: 1 pint 9.4 oz. tall corked brown bottle. Pkg on 03/05/10. Best by 03/2015.

A: One and a half finger creamy head that retains well. Well carbonated! Beautiful ruby red color.

S: Carmel malts, spices. a little bit musty, but in a good way. Strong alcohol.

T: Slight cherries. strong alcohol. kind of reminds me of a beire de garde. some spices there!

M: Medium body, lots of carbonation.

D: A slow drinking beer. but still i would have a couple of these of the course of the night. i enjoyed this beer. something good right here.

4.01/5  rDev -2.4%

I was going to get my friend a 1.5l magnum of duvel for a housewarming gift, but as I walked into New England Beverage Company, my eyes were diverted by a three liter magnum of this brew for $43. I'd had the abbey ale in the past and have some respect for that brew, but had always wanted to try this one.

Served, chilled, into highball glasses. Head on the first pour was monstrous. I actually had to interrupt my friend and show him how to properly pour a beer of the caliber, namely, with the assistance of a friend to hold the glass at a proper angle. Once poured correctly, the head was ideal. The magnum pours were absolutely filled with yeast. This stuff was murky, and dark splotches of caramel-colored yeast were the reward for the last pouree.

Upon redrinking this brew, it is not nearly as murky out of a 12 oz. bottle, but the same tasting notes still apply.

The malt hits you first, as does an almost sour/tangy hint of cherry. If they had chosen any other of Lindeman's Lambics, this would probably be too sour or too sweet. It's definitely not juicy, but perhaps a bit too yeasty. Very refreshing in the Boston sun nonetheless. Ambiguous fruity yeast is dominant, though. A little syrupy, but definitely not thin.

I like balance in beers, but drinking this one out of a 3l magnum was quite an experience. I've never seen so much yeast floating around in a beer without it bothering me. It actually tasted thicker out of a 12 ounce bottle with a far clearer pour.

This brew definitely needs to be tried if you like quadrupels for its fruity nuances. I would add .5 to both taste and drinkability if you could get this in a magnum.

Otherwise, there are plenty of other beers to explore if you're not into something as meaty as a quarupel. This isn't a proper introduction.

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a dark reddish brown with a creamy 1/2 inch head. Strong lacing clings all the way down the glass while I'm drinking.

Mainly a delicate smell of cherries with a bit of yeast in the background.

Taste is pleasingly complex with the same interplay of yeastiness and cherry flavors joined by a light malt and a touch of bitterness at the back end. Medium mouthfeel with a touch of carbonation.

Quite a nice brew, and my first from Ommegang. I can't say I've ever had a quad with so many lambic elements, but it's a good uniqueness, and the fruit is prominent in the brew, without being saccharine, or overtaking all the other elements. Alcohol is well hidden too; it doesn't taste like a 9.8 ABV brew.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

2009 poured into a tulip after 3 days at 40F.

Pour - Walnut brown with a deep ruby hue. Head is a yellowish brown, lacy and of medium thickness. Bubbles are tiny and head is smooth. Quick pour.

Nose - sweet, earthy aroma. kind of fruity and heavy alcohol.

Taste - crisp, clean wheatiness combines with a heavy berry flavor. Not much malt sweetness, but LOTS of fruit. Prolonged bitterness on the finish reminds me of a port wine or a peaty scotch. Very organic, very sweet, and a great hop.

Mouthfeel - smooth, sweet and very silky. Almost a creaminess to it. Aftertaste is mellow and inviting. A very good ale.

Drinkability - too sweet and fruity to be a session beer for me, and WAY too much alcohol. My whiskey days are over and this beer is a testament to why!

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

This is the Cherry Garcia of beers. Poured in to a tulip glass, this beer formed a creamy, off white head that lasted the entire time it took me to finish the beer. Every time I tilted the glass, the head literally blanketed the glass.
What I liked most about this beer was its balance. Really nice sour cherry aromas and cherry, chocolate flavors with almost perfect acidity.
I would rate this beers drinkability as very high. Nice carbonation - just right - and that balance of sweet, sour. Excellent

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

My father recieved a bottle of this for Christmas from one of his subordinates. Fellow BAs take note; buying your boss beer gets you mucho brownie points! Anyway, he was curious and offered to split it with me. We don't have any chalices like the bottle suggests, so we used standard Imperial Pint glasses.

It was interesting to pop a bottle of beer like you would a bottle of sparkling wine. We then each poured a pint for each other. The color is a dark reddish black color, made cloudy by some of the yeast that hadn't settled after the uncorking. Moderate initial head which then reduces to a thin, persistant lacing of the top. It had a rich feel to it, with definite hints of the fruits used, cherry being the dominate. I could definately see this going well after a meal with dessert, espically someting with chocolate. Slight malty aftertaste, but that could be due to the yeast. It did nothing to detract from the overall experience.

It would be a definate repeat, however, the cost would preclude regular buying ($8 a bottle is steep for a poor, starving college student). The good news is now I have a new addtion to my Christmas list nex year.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a dark ruby-brown, with a 1 finger head, moderate lacing and steady carbonation.

The smell is fantastic: complex with notes of fruit, spice, yeast, malt, and even a twinge of caramel.

Taste is a bit too sweet from the cherry lambic, but also nicely crisp, with a nice malt backbone and a long tart finish. My one complaint is that it does not quite exhibit enough of the abbey yeast flavor profile to balance with the lambic.

Mouthfeel is thick and gummy, with some astringency from the cherries.

Drinkability: good not great. This beer puts the palate through the wringer.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%

Looks like a nice, dark red wine with some brown tints. Head fades fast, in its place comes some consistent and evenly placed streams of carbonation. Smells sour and malty, with cherry and caramel aromas. A delicious clean taste up front, very sweet and wine-like, cherries, grapes, bitter greens. Nice alcohol warmth follows. The carbonation is well integrated. Some slightly roasted, smoky flavors as well, predominantly in the aftertaste. Slightly dry all in all, but this trait is presented well. Goes straight to my head; drink slowly. Mmm…

4.28/5  rDev +4.1%

This beer pours a dark, heavy, amber- red color. Very light, carbonated head that disappears entirely. Very sweet fruity taste, can't quite nail it down. But it's not excessively sweet. It has a good balance with a yeasty/tart. Really good taste.

Note: I tried to cellar this beer and it didn't turn out to well. I think the ABV is too high. I purchased another and drank the same evening. much better.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: Beautiful mahogany hue under a healthy two finger beige head.

Smell: All sorts of maltiness, as well as dark fruit and some spiciness, and a little bit of the hops.

Taste: Good and complex. Rich dark caramel malt and dark fruit hit up front, with some raisin and herbal notes mixed therein. The hops finish nicely, and the alcohol is pretty well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Rich and chewy, with lots of sweet, tart, and spicy notes dancing around. Very low carbonation. The floral hops give a pleasant dry finish, and the alcohol warms well.

Drinkability: Yay for complex beers. This is a good and worthy adaptation of the Belgian quad style, and meant for slow enjoyment. I paired it with some rosemary & olive oil bread and a couple of mild Italian cheeses, and was quite satisfied.

Three Philosophers Belgian Style Blend (Quadrupel) from Brewery Ommegang