Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.
Reviews: 696 | Hads: 1,267
1.59/5  rDev -58.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at an Ommegang/Duvel beer tasting and was really looking for to this one. I was disappointed to find that this beer smelled like used, wet cigarettes and tasted the same. The mouth feel seemed thin for a stout. Glad I had it at a beer tasting so I know not to buy it.

1.75/5  rDev -54.1%

Years ago when Ommegang first came on the scene, I was truly a big fan. Here was a brewery that took the essence of Belgium and made something unique, American and in many respects superior to their counterparts. However, when they sold out to Duvel, they sold their soul to the very people they were besting.

There is no greater example of this than in their "Chocolate Indulgence Stout." The impression this beer gives you by its label and marketing is something lush, rich and chocolaty. Unfortunately the reality is something disappointing at every level.

When poured into the glass, this beer looks weak. Instead of the deep rich blackness and thick, foamy head you expect from a stout, you get a dark but watery looking color and loose uneven foam.

The most I could smell was a slight sweetness and a vague chocolate scent.

The most disappointing part of this beer is the taste. The expectation of this is something rich, malty and chocolaty. Instead what I tasted was a beer that achieved the feat of being both bitter and tart at the same time. I suppose this is a conflict between the bitterness of the hops and the sourness of the chocolate. The result is something that is more like snacking on grocery store baking chocolate than Godiva.

Don't look for the usual rich stout mouthfeel here. This stout will sit on your palette like the flimsiest brown ale or a porter cut with water. Another big letdown.

Instead of a beer I could at least get accustomed to, I was left with an almost undrinkable glass. I struggled at every sip, hoping desperately that I could adjust to this beer and find some value... yet I made it through a whole 22oz bottle and never received the gratification I expected.

Ultimately this beer was a huge disappointment from a once favorite brewery. How sad.

1.86/5  rDev -51.2%

What was this noise?

Pours a thin, watery brown. Some tan foam. Smells like sour chocolate. Eh? Mouthfeel is thin, way, way, way too thin. Belgian stout? Seems more like brown water.

There's some roasted malt and chocolate, but if other reviews didn't mention the same thing, I'd have thought I had a contaminated bottle. What's with the sour vinegary taste permeating everything? Completely off-kilter.

This beer is an effing mess, and a near drainpour for me. Just a disaster on many levels.

1.9/5  rDev -50.1%

Stout? It is not a stout. Does not appear to be a stout. Does not smell like a stout. Feels okay enough to be a stout. Something is missing though... Oh right. The chocolate and stout part of the Chocolate Indulgence Stout. Only indulging in really okay non-stout

1.91/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Ommegang tends to make some pretty solid brews. I have tried most of their stuff and been thoroughly supportive of what they do. Any brewery that is the offspring of Duvel must be good.

To the beer:

It poured nicely. Fairly thick with a nice rich espresso-colored head. Started out well. It seemed a little bubbly for what I was expecting, but I was looking forward to trying it.

The nose on it seemed to lack a little. Some cocoa with coffee as well, but not a lot of complexity to it.

Taste was booo, bad, terrible. I am REALLY disappointed in this beer. "Chocolate Indulgence" suggest a full bodied creaminess, an experience with many layers. This tasted like some chocolate barley and water with an overenthusiastic bottle-conditioning yeast. Both the taste and mouthfeel were reminiscent of a failed "chocolate hefeweizen" homebrew experiment I had, minus the bananas and cloves.

I can make crappy beer in my basement. I don't need to buy it.

I was splitting this with three other guys and we each had about a half a glass, hoping it would get better, and it kept disappointing.

Save the room in your stomach.

2.03/5  rDev -46.7%

Pored into a tulip glass.

Really thin looking brown with minimal head.

Smells like a no name chocolate candy from Halloween several yeas ago. A sour smell kind of wafts up too mix with the weak chocolate.

Really thin mouth with vinegary malt taste. Really disappointing taste and mouth.

Would not buy or suggest this beer to anyone.

2.06/5  rDev -45.9%

Pleasant pour that has nice clarity, and a tight spritzy head. Subdued roasted malts, I wish this was more expressive.
Wow, this starts and finishes tasting like a coin. How, since there is no cap?! What the hell is going on here? This has never been anywhere other than a working refridgerator. Highly dissapointing. Thin and just disappointing...
The only thing positive i can point out in this review is that it looks spectacular after a couple of pulls in a chalice - it rings wonderfully.
Trying to pull out a save with this, I let it sit. I lightly swirled it to help it open and ended up catching some nice funky lambic characteristics that sparked some hope, but alas, to no avail. Sorry. The metallic bite never fades and allows anything else to be enjoyed. Pass.

Edit: After reading reviews, I wonder if mine was infected (obviously off-tasting), but as I said, this never saw daylight or warmth. After an hour, the remains still taste like nothing more than a coin...

2.18/5  rDev -42.8%

Pours dark, chocolaty brown - completely opaque - with tons of creamy, mocha head. Just gorgeous. It's all downhill from there.

The smell is hops. Purely citrus hops. I actually double checked the bottle to make sure I had the right thing. If there's anything else to smell the hops have drowned it out.

The taste is bitter, but it seems to be roasty bitterness rather than seriously hoppy bitterness. Some chocolate on the first sip but it's all drowned out by hops again. This tastes more like New Glarus' Moon Man - a pale ale - than it does a Belgian Dark Ale. Some alcohol is evident.

Lightish to medium mouthfeel but great creamy carbonation.

Not very drinkable, really, and particularly not when I was hoping for a Belgian style.

2.24/5  rDev -41.2%

Poured a nice dark brown with a thick and creamy light tan head, had some nice lacing with good retention.

Smell is light and metallic with a hint of chocolate.

Flavor is suprisingly thin with just a touch of chocolate and dark malt finishing with a strong metallic tinny flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and dry.

Overall a big letdown, glad I didn't buy two.

2.24/5  rDev -41.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz. bomber spotted at local liquor store. Been wanting to try this for a while, jumped at the chance to drink it on a cold sleet filled afternoon. Poured into a large glass goblet at just below room temperature.

Hmmm..label says stout, BA says belgian dark. I'm assuming that makes this a belgian (chocolate) stout? Ommegang has this way of making all their beers look mouthwatering.

A- Wow. Perfect pouring beer. Thick black ale blocks nearly all light, and it looks fantastic in thick glass. A frothy desert tan head, which is leaving lacing before even being tasted. Mouthwatering appearance.

S- Hops and malt seem to be in good balance. Sharper hops follow mellow roasted mash, bittersweet chocolate scents. Seems like I have to dig to get any real smell out of this beer, constant swirling in the hopes of coaxing more intense aromas out of this. Why such faint smells?

T- Taste is weak in spite of my anticipation of a thicker stout. It seems watered down. More aggressive hops presence, any chocolate or malt characteristics seem lost underneath the messy watered down hoppiness. I just can't taste the chocolate, I don't sense the indulgence. This is not very rich, it's thin tasting and the aftertaste is a sticky burnt bitterness that is strong and not very pleasant. I don't know, I just don't like this beer. I finished a glass, but I don't know if I can down the last half of the bomber.

M- This does have a fairly nice feel to it-- nice tensile feel, as it sits and warms, it loses it's initial obtrusive carbonation. It smooths out and becomes a little thicker feeling. Great beer to swirl around and break it up. Still, the lingering bitterness and remaining carbonation becomes a sticky, sickly bittersweet mess on the throat and tongue.

D- Poor. Misleading beer, not very stout-ish, and too much hops for me, even if it was a real stout. Didn't sense any real chocolate (and certainly nothing close to "indulgence") in it's watery taste. What a disappointment this was.

Served in a tulip @ ~45 F

Nose: Metallic up front, some citrus, spice notes (yeast derived), and very slight hint of earthy dark chocolate.

Appearance: Black, nearly 100% opaque, with a large fluffy brown head and nice lacings.

Flavor: First hit with a bit of citrus fruit followed by some spices, maybe a hint of nutmeg, and that earthy dark chocolate bitterness. But in the end it is a predominate metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but that metallic taste ruined it all because it left me thinking I was sucking on a penny.

Overall: Somethings wrong here, hopefully only my bottle. I can see where you'd get metallic flavor from using too much chocolate or maybe the wrong type. Perhaps that is what happened. But it wasn't pleasant, I dumped the bottle with a frown on my face... I love Chocolate beers and Ommegang but this one was just bad.

2.32/5  rDev -39.1%

Daark brown body with plenty of carbonation, topped by a hefty medium to dark tan frothy head. Good lacing.

Very mild aroma, more roasty coffee than chocolate.

Lightly sweet beginning, mild chocolate which gives way to a coffee presence in the finish.

Unusally light mouthfeel. Drinks too easily, there is little to notice as it rushes down the throat.

A passable brewpub porter maybe, but a massive disappointment as Ommegang's corked and caged Anniversary "indulgence".

2.43/5  rDev -36.2%

A - Bottle was 750 mL corked. Elegant metal cover on the cork and pretty lettering for 10th anniversary bottle. Sadly, he best part of this beer by far. Poured into a snifter, had black body with nice 1.5 finger mocha head. Head faded way too quickly for a stout of this nature.

S - Roasted malt, bready/yeast, and a slight hint of cocoa powder. Not overwhelming.

T - When it tastes better cold, you know it's a bad sign. The foamy head helped, but once it faded this was waaay too bitter from the cocoa power yet not nearly chocolately or sweet enough to live up to indulgence title.

M - Oily and not too thick for a stout, a bit watery also. very unimpressive.

D - Cannot simply be enjoyed on its own. Too bitter from cocoa powder to be tolerated without some strong cheese on crackers. Will not purchase again.

2.44/5  rDev -36%

Pour into a St. Bernardus goblet.

Appearance: Thin off white to tan head. Held up to light; ruby color at the top and dark opaque blackish brown.

Smell: fruity esters, burnt roastiness, and burnt ashiness like cigarettes.

Taste: dark chocolate, the same aromas as above but now on the palate.

Mouthfeel: good carbonation, medium to full body, a slight dryness on the finish.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have more than one in a day or a month really.

Overall this beer did not give me what I expected. I was hoping for a more chocolate flavor and not such burntness. I was expecting a chocolate covered raisins or prunes but just tastes like kissing a smoker. I won't pick this one up again.

2.48/5  rDev -34.9%

Pitch black. Medium sized crop of brown froth sits on top. It laces quite nicely as I drink. Smells of chocolate some roast notes and bready yeastiness. Palate doesn't match the aroma as nicely as I'd like. It's a little watery with light notes of chocolate spattered about. This is really pretty thin in flavor. Not a lot going on besides the light cocoa and slight belgian yeastiness and some metallic notes as well. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Sparsely carbonated. This beer does very little for me.

2.52/5  rDev -33.9%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into an Ommegang Flute. 05/09/08. The cork came out with a thunderous pop, followed by a gush of beer.

Pours a blackish brown with maybe three fingers of puffy tan head. The head fades leaving nice lacing around the glass. Aroma is very Belgian, yeasty bread with a touch of sourness. Not getting any chocolate at all in the aroma, or any maltiness for that matter.

The taste is rather confusing on this one. On one sip, I'll get lightly roasted malt, creamy milk chocolate, and dark fruits (raisin, fig). On the next, I get a nasty metallic flavor. When I do get a roasted chocolate sip, it's quite nice, but the metallic sips really detract from the experience.

The feel is thin and watery, feels more like an English porter than a stout. Drinkability is decent. The metal taste really kills it. If it weren't there, the score would be much higher.

This could be really good once they get rid of that darn metallic flavor.

EDIT: The previous review is of the 2007 version. I had the 2008 edition a couple months ago and it was MUCH improved. I read somewhere that the recipe was tweaked for the '08, and the metallic taste was completely gone. I didn't take notes for a review, but it would score much higher.

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but estery and a little metallic with some chocolate, Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

T: The taste is malty up front and has a metallic bite to it in the beginning, even after I let it sit for a while once it was poured. There are flavors of dark chocolate and Belgian yeast. The hops presence is mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for all the hype Ommegang gets and for this beer in particular, I don't think it was well-deserved. I was definitely not impressed with this beer at all.

2.59/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle

A: Pours a pitch black under a fingers worth of brown head. Good lace, good retention.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol shows itself as well, a little surprising for 7%. Much like the taste, some nutty hints seem to show up as drinking continues. Slight offness in the odor as well (phenol? ester?) that just doesn't quite balance out.

T: Tastes of a slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Some fruity notes that don't exactly explode onto the scene, but are there nonetheless. Slightly bitter finish that seems more tied into the chocolate than any hop character. Some nutty character as well. Overall finish is slightly on the bitter chocolate side. After the first couple of sips, it seems that the chocolate character has really been relagated to the finish, with the nutty character dominating. Slight warming from alcohol as well. Slight sourness emerges as well. The more I drink, the worse it seems to get.

M/D: A good, creamy mouthfeel, carbonation is a little high, full bodied. Drinkablility is all right on this one. Overall, I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed, maybe my expectations were too high. Expected much more chocolate in this one. Almost comes off closer to a brown ale in taste, with a stout body, but even the brown ale, almost porter-like character, is too off. I've got 1 more bottle that I will hold onto for a while and see what happens, but I'm not expecting much.

2.59/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with a massive, sturdy light brown head, which lingers for ages, finally settling into a thin cap. Lots of sticky lacing.

S- An initial whiff of cocoa, roastiness, and dark fruits. As the beer warms only slightly, the cocoa smells are seemingly GONE, and only a slightly alcohol-tinged dark fruit smell remains.

T- Slightly sweet dark fruits. VERY slight, very fleeting hints of cocoa, and a slightly coffee-esque bitterness on the finish. Subsequent drinks leave me unable to discern any chocolate notes whatsoever. Pardon my French, but for a beer named "Chocolate Indulgence," where the &%$# is the chocolate? The sans-chocolate blend here is not very palatable.

M- Fairly low carbonation level, and very thin/watery.

D- Not too good.

Future outlook: Nope. Not only did the beer not come close to delivering what the name would lead one to expect, what it gave in exchange is not a pleasing surprise, nor an acceptable substitution.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's against my better judgement. Im not entirely sure what to review with this. Bottle says its a Chocolate stout, yet this says a BDA. I will base my judgement comparing this to what Ommegang appears to be going for, a stout.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip. A great, great dark dark brown almost black pour. Big, fluffy two finger light tan head that faded nice and slow leaving thick globs atop the brew and nice side lacing. Gorgeous in the glass.

S - Getting some nice roasted malts as well as some dark fruits. A nice combination of a belgian and a stout, however, I'm not getting ANY chocolate on the nose. Considering this is called "chocolate indulgence" I consider this a huge flaw.

T - This is just a shame. It has some good aspects of a belgian dark ale but really not melded nicly with stout aspects. Not getting any nice roasty malts, just some dark fruits and maybe even a little funk. Hooray, still no chocolate. I'm not expecting this to taste like chocolate syrup but come on, either the chocolate simply isnt there, or its so subtle its being overwhelmed by the belgian qualities of this brew.

M - Nice creamy mouthfeel with the low carbonation I expect from a stout.

D - Its weird. Not assertive enough to be a good dark ale, but way lacking almost all the good aspects of a stout. Yeah, the appearance is great but it pretty much ends there. Taste falls incredibly flat. Wheres the big chocolate notes? Not in this beer thats for sure. And if you, like me, buy this looking for the chocolate you will more likely than not be sorely dissappointed.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

750 ml corked bottle. Served in an Ommegang chalice, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. It smells like roasted malt and milk chocolate. Taste isn't nearly as good as the aroma. There's a strong metallic taste which overpowers the chocolate and whatever other flavors are supposed to be in there. The metallic taste also lingers around in the finish. It only gets worse as the beer warms. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy but also thin and a bit watery as well. If not for the strong metallic taste it wouldn't be hard to drink at all, but it's a chore to drink this. This brew is a major disappointment, I expected better.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

Served on-tap in a white wine glass at Horse & Hound (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Very dark chestnut brown with 1/2-finger of beige, large-bubbled lace with decent retention and some lace forms down the glass.

S: Bitter, muddy dark chocolate with earthy hoppiness. The dark malts don't really come through other than as some burned raisin.

T: A very dull bitterness with dark chocolate that has little life. There is not much to recommend it in the dark malt department, and the small amount of roast that is present is misplaced and slightly acrid, way off-base for a dessert beer. Earthy hoppiness fits but can't rescue the dull, uninspired bitter flavor. A little residual sweetness would have helped this beer a lot.

M: Thin for the style and too heavily carbonated.

O: This is just a big miss in my book. Ommegang's worst beer by a long way. I had tried an aged bottle before and though my dislike was due to that fact, but this fresh on-tap experience was no better.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured into a glass chalice:

Pours very dark brown with a thin creamy tan head that slowly becomes patchy, leaving some lacing on the glass.

The smell is of faint chocolate dipped in some alcohol. Not as chocolatey as I had hoped.

The taste is of cocoa powder. The spicy yeast seems a bit out-of-whack here. The cocoa itself isn't bad, but was hoping it would be richer, as great chocolate comes out of Belgium. Metallic and sour notes come to dominate, esp. the metallic.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation, not quite as lush and rich in body as I hoped, but not bad.

This is a disappointment overall. Not as rich as I hoped and the yeast strain doesn't seem to work so well here. The metallic notes are too strong, to boot.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really excited over this one, only to be rather disappointed. Had this on tap and in the appropriate glassware at Muss&Turner's in Smyrna, Ga. It looked just wonderful in the glass. Absolutely black with some medium to dark brown coloured foam on top.
Smell was mostly dark roasted cereals, or rather burnt cereals, I should say. Some coffee was also present, and surprisingly little or no chocolate. As far as the smell went for the style, this was pretty good, but for what I was expecting from what I had read about this beer in particular, I wasn't impressed.
Now comes the big let down: Taste. This had a positively colossal presence of that damn metallic taste present in so many Belgians. In many cases, I can overlook this; see past it to the other attributes. In this case, however, it was much to assertive to ignore and pretty much ruined the experience for me.
Mouthfeel, too, was a bit of a let down. Very thin for the style and pretty much watery. Because of the big metallic taste and much-too-thin mouthfeel, I didn't even finish the thing. Very upsetting.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a Tulip glass.

A - poured a very dark brown with a light brown milk chocolate three finger head. very frothy and creamy looking. unfiltered as well...you can see floaters haha.

S - smelling dark fruit.raisins, cherries, plum, licorice...all of those are dominant and barley any chocolate ...and a tinge of alcohol. cinnamon pops through a little bit as well.

T - very well carbonated. But for a beer called chocolate indulgence it should be more chocolatey in my opinion....getting a lot of dark sweet fruits and only a hint of chocolate....if that....alcohol is apparent in the nose but well hidden after swallowing. After having founders breakfast stout this year, i dont think any "chocolatey" beer is going to top that..Im not liking this that much.

M - Creamy and well carbonated. fairly drinkable.

Overall...its a good looking beer but the taste wasnt there for me....dont get me wrong its a good stout. but with a name like that...the taste has to live up to it.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang