Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-27-2007)
VikeMan

12-02-2011 01:45:51 | More by VikeMan
drh524

1.58/5  rDev -58.5%

Had this at an Ommegang/Duvel beer tasting and was really looking for to this one. I was disappointed to find that this beer smelled like used, wet cigarettes and tasted the same. The mouth feel seemed thin for a stout. Glad I had it at a beer tasting so I know not to buy it.

01-22-2011 22:37:56 | More by drh524
dino213aa

1.73/5  rDev -54.6%

Years ago when Ommegang first came on the scene, I was truly a big fan. Here was a brewery that took the essence of Belgium and made something unique, American and in many respects superior to their counterparts. However, when they sold out to Duvel, they sold their soul to the very people they were besting.

There is no greater example of this than in their "Chocolate Indulgence Stout." The impression this beer gives you by its label and marketing is something lush, rich and chocolaty. Unfortunately the reality is something disappointing at every level.

When poured into the glass, this beer looks weak. Instead of the deep rich blackness and thick, foamy head you expect from a stout, you get a dark but watery looking color and loose uneven foam.

The most I could smell was a slight sweetness and a vague chocolate scent.

The most disappointing part of this beer is the taste. The expectation of this is something rich, malty and chocolaty. Instead what I tasted was a beer that achieved the feat of being both bitter and tart at the same time. I suppose this is a conflict between the bitterness of the hops and the sourness of the chocolate. The result is something that is more like snacking on grocery store baking chocolate than Godiva.

Don't look for the usual rich stout mouthfeel here. This stout will sit on your palette like the flimsiest brown ale or a porter cut with water. Another big letdown.

Instead of a beer I could at least get accustomed to, I was left with an almost undrinkable glass. I struggled at every sip, hoping desperately that I could adjust to this beer and find some value... yet I made it through a whole 22oz bottle and never received the gratification I expected.

Ultimately this beer was a huge disappointment from a once favorite brewery. How sad.

09-05-2008 01:16:20 | More by dino213aa
Overlord

1.83/5  rDev -52%

What was this noise?

Pours a thin, watery brown. Some tan foam. Smells like sour chocolate. Eh? Mouthfeel is thin, way, way, way too thin. Belgian stout? Seems more like brown water.

There's some roasted malt and chocolate, but if other reviews didn't mention the same thing, I'd have thought I had a contaminated bottle. What's with the sour vinegary taste permeating everything? Completely off-kilter.

This beer is an effing mess, and a near drainpour for me. Just a disaster on many levels.

08-07-2008 07:21:48 | More by Overlord
zealot

1.85/5  rDev -51.4%

Ommegang tends to make some pretty solid brews. I have tried most of their stuff and been thoroughly supportive of what they do. Any brewery that is the offspring of Duvel must be good.

To the beer:

It poured nicely. Fairly thick with a nice rich espresso-colored head. Started out well. It seemed a little bubbly for what I was expecting, but I was looking forward to trying it.

The nose on it seemed to lack a little. Some cocoa with coffee as well, but not a lot of complexity to it.

Taste was booo, bad, terrible. I am REALLY disappointed in this beer. "Chocolate Indulgence" suggest a full bodied creaminess, an experience with many layers. This tasted like some chocolate barley and water with an overenthusiastic bottle-conditioning yeast. Both the taste and mouthfeel were reminiscent of a failed "chocolate hefeweizen" homebrew experiment I had, minus the bananas and cloves.

I can make crappy beer in my basement. I don't need to buy it.

I was splitting this with three other guys and we each had about a half a glass, hoping it would get better, and it kept disappointing.

Save the room in your stomach.

11-12-2007 03:42:25 | More by zealot
RayVen

1.9/5  rDev -50.1%

Stout? It is not a stout. Does not appear to be a stout. Does not smell like a stout. Feels okay enough to be a stout. Something is missing though... Oh right. The chocolate and stout part of the Chocolate Indulgence Stout. Only indulging in really okay non-stout

03-01-2014 01:33:52 | More by RayVen
scott

1.98/5  rDev -48%

V.07

Pleasant pour that has nice clarity, and a tight spritzy head. Subdued roasted malts, I wish this was more expressive.
Wow, this starts and finishes tasting like a coin. How, since there is no cap?! What the hell is going on here? This has never been anywhere other than a working refridgerator. Highly dissapointing. Thin and just disappointing...
The only thing positive i can point out in this review is that it looks spectacular after a couple of pulls in a chalice - it rings wonderfully.
Trying to pull out a save with this, I let it sit. I lightly swirled it to help it open and ended up catching some nice funky lambic characteristics that sparked some hope, but alas, to no avail. Sorry. The metallic bite never fades and allows anything else to be enjoyed. Pass.

Edit: After reading reviews, I wonder if mine was infected (obviously off-tasting), but as I said, this never saw daylight or warmth. After an hour, the remains still taste like nothing more than a coin...

02-12-2008 03:04:55 | More by scott
Ynot2

1.98/5  rDev -48%

Pored into a tulip glass.

Really thin looking brown with minimal head.

Smells like a no name chocolate candy from Halloween several yeas ago. A sour smell kind of wafts up too mix with the weak chocolate.

Really thin mouth with vinegary malt taste. Really disappointing taste and mouth.

Would not buy or suggest this beer to anyone.

05-18-2011 03:22:28 | More by Ynot2

12-14-2011 21:32:08 | More by jophish17
mariposafan

Wisconsin

2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

Pours dark, chocolaty brown - completely opaque - with tons of creamy, mocha head. Just gorgeous. It's all downhill from there.

The smell is hops. Purely citrus hops. I actually double checked the bottle to make sure I had the right thing. If there's anything else to smell the hops have drowned it out.

The taste is bitter, but it seems to be roasty bitterness rather than seriously hoppy bitterness. Some chocolate on the first sip but it's all drowned out by hops again. This tastes more like New Glarus' Moon Man - a pale ale - than it does a Belgian Dark Ale. Some alcohol is evident.

Lightish to medium mouthfeel but great creamy carbonation.

Not very drinkable, really, and particularly not when I was hoping for a Belgian style.

10-24-2010 21:40:19 | More by mariposafan
SamN

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -43.6%

22 oz. bomber spotted at local liquor store. Been wanting to try this for a while, jumped at the chance to drink it on a cold sleet filled afternoon. Poured into a large glass goblet at just below room temperature.

Hmmm..label says stout, BA says belgian dark. I'm assuming that makes this a belgian (chocolate) stout? Ommegang has this way of making all their beers look mouthwatering.

A- Wow. Perfect pouring beer. Thick black ale blocks nearly all light, and it looks fantastic in thick glass. A frothy desert tan head, which is leaving lacing before even being tasted. Mouthwatering appearance.

S- Hops and malt seem to be in good balance. Sharper hops follow mellow roasted mash, bittersweet chocolate scents. Seems like I have to dig to get any real smell out of this beer, constant swirling in the hopes of coaxing more intense aromas out of this. Why such faint smells?

T- Taste is weak in spite of my anticipation of a thicker stout. It seems watered down. More aggressive hops presence, any chocolate or malt characteristics seem lost underneath the messy watered down hoppiness. I just can't taste the chocolate, I don't sense the indulgence. This is not very rich, it's thin tasting and the aftertaste is a sticky burnt bitterness that is strong and not very pleasant. I don't know, I just don't like this beer. I finished a glass, but I don't know if I can down the last half of the bomber.

M- This does have a fairly nice feel to it-- nice tensile feel, as it sits and warms, it loses it's initial obtrusive carbonation. It smooths out and becomes a little thicker feeling. Great beer to swirl around and break it up. Still, the lingering bitterness and remaining carbonation becomes a sticky, sickly bittersweet mess on the throat and tongue.

D- Poor. Misleading beer, not very stout-ish, and too much hops for me, even if it was a real stout. Didn't sense any real chocolate (and certainly nothing close to "indulgence") in it's watery taste. What a disappointment this was.

03-01-2010 01:06:12 | More by SamN
bashiba

Iowa

2.2/5  rDev -42.3%

Poured a nice dark brown with a thick and creamy light tan head, had some nice lacing with good retention.

Smell is light and metallic with a hint of chocolate.

Flavor is suprisingly thin with just a touch of chocolate and dark malt finishing with a strong metallic tinny flavor.

Mouthfeel is light and dry.

Overall a big letdown, glad I didn't buy two.

04-12-2008 00:01:14 | More by bashiba
IdentityAles

Oregon

2.2/5  rDev -42.3%

Served in a tulip @ ~45 F

Nose: Metallic up front, some citrus, spice notes (yeast derived), and very slight hint of earthy dark chocolate.

Appearance: Black, nearly 100% opaque, with a large fluffy brown head and nice lacings.

Flavor: First hit with a bit of citrus fruit followed by some spices, maybe a hint of nutmeg, and that earthy dark chocolate bitterness. But in the end it is a predominate metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but that metallic taste ruined it all because it left me thinking I was sucking on a penny.

Overall: Somethings wrong here, hopefully only my bottle. I can see where you'd get metallic flavor from using too much chocolate or maybe the wrong type. Perhaps that is what happened. But it wasn't pleasant, I dumped the bottle with a frown on my face... I love Chocolate beers and Ommegang but this one was just bad.

01-20-2008 18:20:02 | More by IdentityAles
RonfromJersey

2.3/5  rDev -39.6%

Daark brown body with plenty of carbonation, topped by a hefty medium to dark tan frothy head. Good lacing.

Very mild aroma, more roasty coffee than chocolate.

Lightly sweet beginning, mild chocolate which gives way to a coffee presence in the finish.

Unusally light mouthfeel. Drinks too easily, there is little to notice as it rushes down the throat.

A passable brewpub porter maybe, but a massive disappointment as Ommegang's corked and caged Anniversary "indulgence".

05-19-2008 04:58:29 | More by RonfromJersey
pandashaver

South Carolina

2.35/5  rDev -38.3%

A - Bottle was 750 mL corked. Elegant metal cover on the cork and pretty lettering for 10th anniversary bottle. Sadly, he best part of this beer by far. Poured into a snifter, had black body with nice 1.5 finger mocha head. Head faded way too quickly for a stout of this nature.

S - Roasted malt, bready/yeast, and a slight hint of cocoa powder. Not overwhelming.

T - When it tastes better cold, you know it's a bad sign. The foamy head helped, but once it faded this was waaay too bitter from the cocoa power yet not nearly chocolately or sweet enough to live up to indulgence title.

M - Oily and not too thick for a stout, a bit watery also. very unimpressive.

D - Cannot simply be enjoyed on its own. Too bitter from cocoa powder to be tolerated without some strong cheese on crackers. Will not purchase again.

01-13-2009 17:53:24 | More by pandashaver
rwf08

2.4/5  rDev -37%

Pour into a St. Bernardus goblet.

Appearance: Thin off white to tan head. Held up to light; ruby color at the top and dark opaque blackish brown.

Smell: fruity esters, burnt roastiness, and burnt ashiness like cigarettes.

Taste: dark chocolate, the same aromas as above but now on the palate.

Mouthfeel: good carbonation, medium to full body, a slight dryness on the finish.

Drinkability: I wouldn't have more than one in a day or a month really.

Overall this beer did not give me what I expected. I was hoping for a more chocolate flavor and not such burntness. I was expecting a chocolate covered raisins or prunes but just tastes like kissing a smoker. I won't pick this one up again.

02-07-2010 02:50:35 | More by rwf08
Bighuge

2.4/5  rDev -37%

Pitch black. Medium sized crop of brown froth sits on top. It laces quite nicely as I drink. Smells of chocolate some roast notes and bready yeastiness. Palate doesn't match the aroma as nicely as I'd like. It's a little watery with light notes of chocolate spattered about. This is really pretty thin in flavor. Not a lot going on besides the light cocoa and slight belgian yeastiness and some metallic notes as well. Mouthfeel is thin and watery. Sparsely carbonated. This beer does very little for me.

01-05-2008 03:00:37 | More by Bighuge

01-05-2014 16:01:25 | More by nasastrums
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but estery and a little metallic with some chocolate, Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

T: The taste is malty up front and has a metallic bite to it in the beginning, even after I let it sit for a while once it was poured. There are flavors of dark chocolate and Belgian yeast. The hops presence is mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for all the hype Ommegang gets and for this beer in particular, I don't think it was well-deserved. I was definitely not impressed with this beer at all.

01-25-2009 05:02:27 | More by TheManiacalOne
NCSUdo

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle

A: Pours a pitch black under a fingers worth of brown head. Good lace, good retention.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol shows itself as well, a little surprising for 7%. Much like the taste, some nutty hints seem to show up as drinking continues. Slight offness in the odor as well (phenol? ester?) that just doesn't quite balance out.

T: Tastes of a slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Some fruity notes that don't exactly explode onto the scene, but are there nonetheless. Slightly bitter finish that seems more tied into the chocolate than any hop character. Some nutty character as well. Overall finish is slightly on the bitter chocolate side. After the first couple of sips, it seems that the chocolate character has really been relagated to the finish, with the nutty character dominating. Slight warming from alcohol as well. Slight sourness emerges as well. The more I drink, the worse it seems to get.

M/D: A good, creamy mouthfeel, carbonation is a little high, full bodied. Drinkablility is all right on this one. Overall, I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed, maybe my expectations were too high. Expected much more chocolate in this one. Almost comes off closer to a brown ale in taste, with a stout body, but even the brown ale, almost porter-like character, is too off. I've got 1 more bottle that I will hold onto for a while and see what happens, but I'm not expecting much.

01-01-2008 23:53:46 | More by NCSUdo