Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang

New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but estery and a little metallic with some chocolate, Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

T: The taste is malty up front and has a metallic bite to it in the beginning, even after I let it sit for a while once it was poured. There are flavors of dark chocolate and Belgian yeast. The hops presence is mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for all the hype Ommegang gets and for this beer in particular, I don't think it was well-deserved. I was definitely not impressed with this beer at all.

2.59/5  rDev -32%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle

A: Pours a pitch black under a fingers worth of brown head. Good lace, good retention.

S: Smells of sweet chocolate and roasted malt. Alcohol shows itself as well, a little surprising for 7%. Much like the taste, some nutty hints seem to show up as drinking continues. Slight offness in the odor as well (phenol? ester?) that just doesn't quite balance out.

T: Tastes of a slightly bitter chocolate and roasted malt. Some fruity notes that don't exactly explode onto the scene, but are there nonetheless. Slightly bitter finish that seems more tied into the chocolate than any hop character. Some nutty character as well. Overall finish is slightly on the bitter chocolate side. After the first couple of sips, it seems that the chocolate character has really been relagated to the finish, with the nutty character dominating. Slight warming from alcohol as well. Slight sourness emerges as well. The more I drink, the worse it seems to get.

M/D: A good, creamy mouthfeel, carbonation is a little high, full bodied. Drinkablility is all right on this one. Overall, I have to say I'm a little underwhelmed, maybe my expectations were too high. Expected much more chocolate in this one. Almost comes off closer to a brown ale in taste, with a stout body, but even the brown ale, almost porter-like character, is too off. I've got 1 more bottle that I will hold onto for a while and see what happens, but I'm not expecting much.

2.59/5  rDev -32%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Presentation: 1 pint 9.4 oz bottle into a large mug.

A- Deep mahogany - black, and opaque. Pours with a massive, sturdy light brown head, which lingers for ages, finally settling into a thin cap. Lots of sticky lacing.

S- An initial whiff of cocoa, roastiness, and dark fruits. As the beer warms only slightly, the cocoa smells are seemingly GONE, and only a slightly alcohol-tinged dark fruit smell remains.

T- Slightly sweet dark fruits. VERY slight, very fleeting hints of cocoa, and a slightly coffee-esque bitterness on the finish. Subsequent drinks leave me unable to discern any chocolate notes whatsoever. Pardon my French, but for a beer named "Chocolate Indulgence," where the &%$# is the chocolate? The sans-chocolate blend here is not very palatable.

M- Fairly low carbonation level, and very thin/watery.

D- Not too good.

Future outlook: Nope. Not only did the beer not come close to delivering what the name would lead one to expect, what it gave in exchange is not a pleasing surprise, nor an acceptable substitution.

2.62/5  rDev -31.2%

Picked up a bottle at Julio's against my better judgement. Im not entirely sure what to review with this. Bottle says its a Chocolate stout, yet this says a BDA. I will base my judgement comparing this to what Ommegang appears to be going for, a stout.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip. A great, great dark dark brown almost black pour. Big, fluffy two finger light tan head that faded nice and slow leaving thick globs atop the brew and nice side lacing. Gorgeous in the glass.

S - Getting some nice roasted malts as well as some dark fruits. A nice combination of a belgian and a stout, however, I'm not getting ANY chocolate on the nose. Considering this is called "chocolate indulgence" I consider this a huge flaw.

T - This is just a shame. It has some good aspects of a belgian dark ale but really not melded nicly with stout aspects. Not getting any nice roasty malts, just some dark fruits and maybe even a little funk. Hooray, still no chocolate. I'm not expecting this to taste like chocolate syrup but come on, either the chocolate simply isnt there, or its so subtle its being overwhelmed by the belgian qualities of this brew.

M - Nice creamy mouthfeel with the low carbonation I expect from a stout.

D - Its weird. Not assertive enough to be a good dark ale, but way lacking almost all the good aspects of a stout. Yeah, the appearance is great but it pretty much ends there. Taste falls incredibly flat. Wheres the big chocolate notes? Not in this beer thats for sure. And if you, like me, buy this looking for the chocolate you will more likely than not be sorely dissappointed.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

750 ml corked bottle. Served in an Ommegang chalice, the beer pours dark brown with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. It smells like roasted malt and milk chocolate. Taste isn't nearly as good as the aroma. There's a strong metallic taste which overpowers the chocolate and whatever other flavors are supposed to be in there. The metallic taste also lingers around in the finish. It only gets worse as the beer warms. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy but also thin and a bit watery as well. If not for the strong metallic taste it wouldn't be hard to drink at all, but it's a chore to drink this. This brew is a major disappointment, I expected better.

2.63/5  rDev -31%

Served on-tap in a white wine glass at Horse & Hound (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Very dark chestnut brown with 1/2-finger of beige, large-bubbled lace with decent retention and some lace forms down the glass.

S: Bitter, muddy dark chocolate with earthy hoppiness. The dark malts don't really come through other than as some burned raisin.

T: A very dull bitterness with dark chocolate that has little life. There is not much to recommend it in the dark malt department, and the small amount of roast that is present is misplaced and slightly acrid, way off-base for a dessert beer. Earthy hoppiness fits but can't rescue the dull, uninspired bitter flavor. A little residual sweetness would have helped this beer a lot.

M: Thin for the style and too heavily carbonated.

O: This is just a big miss in my book. Ommegang's worst beer by a long way. I had tried an aged bottle before and though my dislike was due to that fact, but this fresh on-tap experience was no better.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Poured into a glass chalice:

Pours very dark brown with a thin creamy tan head that slowly becomes patchy, leaving some lacing on the glass.

The smell is of faint chocolate dipped in some alcohol. Not as chocolatey as I had hoped.

The taste is of cocoa powder. The spicy yeast seems a bit out-of-whack here. The cocoa itself isn't bad, but was hoping it would be richer, as great chocolate comes out of Belgium. Metallic and sour notes come to dominate, esp. the metallic.

Medium-bodied with medium carbonation, not quite as lush and rich in body as I hoped, but not bad.

This is a disappointment overall. Not as rich as I hoped and the yeast strain doesn't seem to work so well here. The metallic notes are too strong, to boot.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really excited over this one, only to be rather disappointed. Had this on tap and in the appropriate glassware at Muss&Turner's in Smyrna, Ga. It looked just wonderful in the glass. Absolutely black with some medium to dark brown coloured foam on top.
Smell was mostly dark roasted cereals, or rather burnt cereals, I should say. Some coffee was also present, and surprisingly little or no chocolate. As far as the smell went for the style, this was pretty good, but for what I was expecting from what I had read about this beer in particular, I wasn't impressed.
Now comes the big let down: Taste. This had a positively colossal presence of that damn metallic taste present in so many Belgians. In many cases, I can overlook this; see past it to the other attributes. In this case, however, it was much to assertive to ignore and pretty much ruined the experience for me.
Mouthfeel, too, was a bit of a let down. Very thin for the style and pretty much watery. Because of the big metallic taste and much-too-thin mouthfeel, I didn't even finish the thing. Very upsetting.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a Tulip glass.

A - poured a very dark brown with a light brown milk chocolate three finger head. very frothy and creamy looking. unfiltered as well...you can see floaters haha.

S - smelling dark fruit.raisins, cherries, plum, licorice...all of those are dominant and barley any chocolate ...and a tinge of alcohol. cinnamon pops through a little bit as well.

T - very well carbonated. But for a beer called chocolate indulgence it should be more chocolatey in my opinion....getting a lot of dark sweet fruits and only a hint of chocolate....if that....alcohol is apparent in the nose but well hidden after swallowing. After having founders breakfast stout this year, i dont think any "chocolatey" beer is going to top that..Im not liking this that much.

M - Creamy and well carbonated. fairly drinkable.

Overall...its a good looking beer but the taste wasnt there for me....dont get me wrong its a good stout. but with a name like that...the taste has to live up to it.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

12/23/07- Purchased at Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle. 2007 10th Anniversary release. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Deep brown colored pour. Somewhat creamy looking one inch slightly off white head. Decent lace marking left over.

Smell- Smells like a BBQ pit with old dried up meat on it. Smoky and rauch-like, but with scorched animal flesh. Definite chocolte though, which saves the scents ass.

Taste- From sip one I'm getting a mouthfull of metal....plus it never goes away. It lessens a bit, but not to the point where I can enjoy this beer. Chocolate is present, dark chocolate that is, but not to the point that it came out in the nose. Belgian dark fruits (plums and dates), are covered up by both the roasted and burnt malt and the metal notes.

Mouthfeel- Carbonation is mid range, but the metal and light hoppy aftertaste doesn't do it for me.

Drinkability- Would like to try this beer again (minus the metal). Would be better, but still thinking I wouldn't be as impressed as I should.

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence 2007 bottling

A- Opaque black-brown. Medium brown, lively, lacy head. Even with gentle handling, the yeast sediment was dislodged and released chunky white particles through every pour, but I do not consider this a flaw.

S- Roasted hazelnuts, roasted tree nuts and ground nut. Wet cardboard. Funk, yeastiness.

T- Attacks with dark-roast bitter coffee. Mid-palate is of maduro cigar tobacco and weak cocoa. Finishes with a burnt grain, bitter cocoa, and cigar ash notes.

M, D- I expected more creaminess, body and structure here. There is some roundness up front, with a lightweight body in the middle, and a burnt, bitter finish. Drinkable, strightforward, but certainly not an "indulgence".
...

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a dark nearly black opaque brown with a small tan colored head. The head eventually reduces to a three hundred and sixty degree collar with random spots on top.

Smell is nearly nonexistent. All I'm really picking up on are faint hints of bitter cocoa and perhaps some dark fruit. This is leading me to believe this will be a disappointing beer.

Very subtle hints of cocoa and metal. Not sweet, really just a bittering cocoa finish. Lacks any degree of complexity. In my opinion it barely has a single dimension let alone any depth. Maybe raisins? But I feel I'm grasping in the dark for something that just isn't there. I can't say enough about how this is not bad, but rather the absence of good or bad. It just is and isn't much. I tried it at varying temperatures and I couldn't find much to indulge in.

Mouthfeel is on the good side of medium and has a slightly creamy consistency. Very drinkable, but mostly because the alcohol is hidden and there's nothing much going on. Very little taste. I'm vastly disappointed. Did I get an off bottle? Am I just missing something? I expect much better from Ommegang. Overpriced and underdone.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Shared with the family for Christmas. Poured into three Sam Adam's Lager Glasses (Fourpack for Christmas).

Quick tan head on a black body.

Subtle nutty aroma. Not much in the nose.

The bitter chocolate dominated the flavor. There is a bit of dark roasted flavor, but all I could taste is unsweetened chocolate. Not impressed.

It did have a full luxurious mouth, which was the best quality.

I'm glad I shared it with my cousin and my sister, because I could not have drunk it all by myself.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml corked and crowned bottle, ~$9 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK. Bottle states 7% ABV. No specific dating evident, but bottles lists it as a 10th anniversary brew, 1997-2007.

Appearance: deep brown, opaque, with medium brown, dense creamy head, significant lacing in rings. Very attractive.

Aroma: roast and chocolate dominate, little else discernible.

Taste: Again it's mostly roast, with a moderate taste of chocolate. Distinct metallic flatness throughout, especially in the finish. Fruity esters, metallic, and chocolate compete in the finish and aftertaste.

Mouth: Moderately thick to full, slightly sweet, tingly finish. A little alcohol warmth noted.

Overall: An interesting, somewhat drinkable beer that would probably be quite good if not for the profound metallic taste, which makes rating it complicated. To try to be fair, I tasted the first pour in a 20 ounce (standard shaped) pint glass that was washed in the dishwasher, and then a second taste in a wide-bowl red wine glass that I carefully washed and completely dried by hand, to make it beeer clean, and got basically the same metallic in both. Ms. Warmstorage got the same thing in both tastings, without prompting from me. The metallic nature is a significant flaw, and I feel like I had to ding the beer in both taste and drinkability for it.

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%

Poured into a specialty pint glass. I mean would you want it any other way?

A: This beer isn't as dark as some stouts, but really looks...well...chocolaty. Like someone mixed black patent malt in your cocoa. Light head, but a good looking beer.

S: No real WOW moments here. the chocolate notes are very subtle and the maltiness is somewhat down played.

T: What a let down! I was really excited about this beer, but so much for that. This isn't even a great stout, plus the price of the bottle makes me regret the purchase in the first place. Has a little bitterness on the end, but nothing of note. And there is a strange flavor that I assume goes to the yeast strain. not too great.

M: Meh...it's kinda like the Obama adminstration...could be worse, but could be better too.

D: I know what I wont be getting another bottle of! I love Ommegang brew, but honestly I haven't been this dissapointed in a LONG time. If you wanna share it with some beer loving friends go ahead, but you've been warned.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a Gouden Carolus goblet. There is a "Best By:" printed on the bottle, but no date printed after it.

Appearance: Pours a deep, dark chocolate brown. Almost black, but not quite, no light getting through this one, not even around the edges. A dense, tightly packed light brown head rises quickly and sticks around for a couple minutes. Once it does fade, it leaves a very densely packed layer of foam.

Smell: Pleasant, soft, chocolate aroma. Cocoa, dark chocolate, and bittersweet baker's chocolate. There is the a touch of sourness lingering. Some roasted malts in there as well.

Taste: Similar to the nose, with the cocoa and bakers chocolate the main flavors. The chocolate flavors are dark, unsweetened, and bitter. The roasted flavors hit at the end, but contribute little to the aftertaste. The bitterness from the chocolate really hangs around after the swallow.

Mouthfeel: Light body, high carbonation. The body is thin and light, and the carbonation level is fairly high. Even with the high carbonation level, the beer is smooth.

Overall: Tasty, although the flavor of unsweetened chocolate in this beer isn't really for me. The bitter aftertaste is a bit overwhelming, and made this beer a little bit of a struggle to finish.

2.86/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: Wow, nice mocha colored head, it seems to have two layers (almost light and dark chocolate).

Smell: Definite chocolate and some coffee, but not nearly as much chocolate as I expected.

Taste: I am not one for a "chocolate" beer but in this case I had been sitting on this bottle for a while and even had a slice of chocolate cake sitting by me when I popped it open. What can I say, the mood struck. Definitely not the level of chocolate I wanted, I was ready to go "all in" as one might say. Even looked around the house some for a different chocolate beer. That should tell you enough right there. Also a weird metallic / aluminum element (which makes me think AB).

Mouthfeel: Much lighter than I expected.

Drinkability: No richness. You could drink it but I have no interest in doing so; at least the chocolate cake slice was excellent. Such a fancy bottle too. Average it was and average score it gets.

2.87/5  rDev -24.7%

750mL bottle served into a tulip glass

Pours a medium-dark brown that is rendered ugly as fuck from the extremely large amount of yeast floating in the glass. This looks awful. The head is actually pretty lovely. Lion's pelt brown in color; two fingers in size with tight, gripping lace. The head saves the appearance score somewhat but all that yeast is hard to look past.

The nose is all spent grain and Toll House chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps a touch of rye, well not rye exactly. More like the rye bread chips in a bag of Chex Mix. Few beers contain the smell of straight-up wort like this beer.

Baker's chocolate and overcooked malt dominate the palate. Not much roast to speak of; just a kiss of semi-sweet chocolate chips chocolate on the finish. A touch of dark fruit comes out of the yeast. This beer basicaly tastes like those one pieces of chocolate in a Russel Stover's sampler pack that has a chocolate shell and a different-tasting chocolate center.

The body is medium-light. This is too thin for a beer calling itself a rich, indulgent stout. It comes dangerously close to being chocolate water. It certainly doesn't coat the mouth enough to really carry the chocolate to its fullest expression. I wouldn't call this a particularly drinkable beer. The chocolate overload can get to be too much and the mouthfeel does it no favors. Thankfully the ABV% is only 7%.

This is an OK beer. Very much one-note (that note is chocolate). A whole 750 would be too much for me. Pair this with a smore's Pop-Tart for best results.

2.92/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - Black, seems like a rather light body, nice tan head.
S - Light roast, bitter chocolate, seems like this will be a dry beer. More like a dry stout. Not much Belgian character here - maybe a few esters.
T- Slight chocolate, definitely dry, well carbonated. I actually do not get much of any taste out of this beer, surprisingly. I've let it warm up a while - and now I get something fairly acrid - maybe from dark malts, maybe from chocolate? Some slight bitterness. No real Belgian yeast character that I can easily discern. A disappointment. It will be hard to finish this.
M - Medium light, way too light for a stout.
O - A very bland, slightly bitter, not very chocolate, not very Belgian beer. This is the second dark beer I've had from Ommegang I've been disappointed with (Seduction was the other). Thinking they should stick to traditional Belgian styles.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Pours an opaque black body with a dense, lingering, beige head.

Smell: Aroma of cocoa powder with a noticeable sourish leaning. Light notes of roasted grains and a few snippets of licorice

Taste: Cocoa powder with a middling sweetness that's thin on chocolate flavor (especially when one considers the name), and makes up for it in sourness. Hint of licorice, roast. Slight bitterness. Dry, chalky finish with a peculiar aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Smooth mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Sorry, but no, I just didn't care for this beer that was about as much fun as peeling potatoes.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

750 ML into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Inky black from the bottle, and sits opaque in the glass. Huge, healthy head is dark brown, thick & whipped, and frothy like hot cocoa foam with retention that just won't quit! Sticky lace left behind.

A: Creamy dark chocolate, caramel, a little Belgian yeast, and alcohol. Not nearly as pronounced I would have liked.

T: Hmm...this isn't very interesting, and is a bit awkward. There is a nice dark chocolate presence here, but nothing like I expected. I take it they were going for a delicate approach, but it's just so subdued & restrained. I mean, it is called "Chocolate Indulgence" for pete's sake! As it is, the flavors just don't satisfy my chocolate craving, and the rest of the flavors fail to mesh. Anyways, there is some roasty malt and caramel flavors here in the start. Then, some coffee and dark fruitiness join in. Seems to shift more toward the bitter side with more of a powdery cocoa taste towards the tail-end, with hardly even a hint of Belgian yeast. Floral hops stay buried underneath.

M & D: The mouthfeel of this one really fails for me. It's too light-bodied and carbonated, and feels more like a Pale Ale than a Stout. I think if it were more thick and creamy, it would have done the chocolate right. Drinkability suffers from this, as finishing this felt like a chore.

Notes: This is a Stout? Sure in the hell doesn't feel like it. There's decent chocolate flavors here, but just not enough of it. Maybe a bigger, more robust malt character, and a fuller, more creamy body would have done it justice. They're going for delicate subtlety here, and while there is some good potential, it just completely fails as far as I'm concerned. I'm very disappointed with this one.

2.96/5  rDev -22.3%

750 ml bottle I got out of a Ommegang mix pack. Served up in a thin Ommegang goblet/chalice.

A: Pours a really nice dark black that lets barely any light in at all. Got a good finger of head from a careful pour, so the head is very vigourous. The head is dark mocha in color and has some serious staying power. It only recedes a touch and the head remains for the entire beverage experience. Lacing is spotty, leaving just a touch of soapy bubble goodness on the glass. Not a bad looking beer.

S: Smell is weak. Disappointing for sure. This one smells of some lightly roasted malt, a touch of coffee and just a bit of chocolate. Given the name, you would expect a stupid amount of chocolate assaulting the senses. Too bad because this is mild and not too great. Its not bad, but not what is expected at all.

T: Taste is a bit better. Once again, very nice roasted malt character coming through. Then you get a light cream and sugar coffee flavor. Then there is the chocolate. I was expecting a lot of varied chocolate flavor, but you only really get some smooth milk chocolate presence. Its not bad at all. It would get higher marks if it had a little more diversity in flavors.

M: This is the light side of medium. Its actually got decent carbonation that makes this go down very easily. ABV is not experienced on the palate at all. No aftertaste to mention, finishes pretty clean. Once again, needs tweaking because this could definately be thicker.

D: This is not a bad beer. Its got some decent flavors and very good to have with a tasting IMO, but I think it would be a better example of a chocolate stout that was very basic. This brew is basic but quick drinkable and accessible. Not bad at all, but absolutely has room for improvement.

2.97/5  rDev -22%

750ml bottle poured out into a tulip glass.

Look: dark, almost jet black with a deep brown highlight at the bottom of the glass if I hold my glass directly to the light. The head is thin but deep brown. There is a great deal of retention and a lot of lace left behind. Good looking brew.

Smell: surprisingly, kind of mild. There's a bit of dark chocolate and a hint of roasted grain but that's almost all there is. The chocolate is very mild, especially given the name "Chocolate Indulgence." My girlfriend even quipped to me that this beer might have no smell at all, and if I hadn't been determined to find the characters of this aroma, I might've missed them.

Taste: again, where's the Chocolate Indulgence? Subtle chocolate notes, some roasted malt, a bit of bitterness, but not much else. It almost tastes like a Russian Imperial Stout that stopped trying somewhere along the way and ended up somewhere between a stout and an Russian Imperial. If I really look for it, I can find some Belgian yeast qualities, a little licorice and some dark fruit.

Feel: on the thin side of medium bodied, not silky or creamy, not that rich but at least it is smooth. The alcohol is hidden. Not the best mouthfeel in the world, especially considering this is a chocolate stout.

Drink: kind of a fast sipper. I wouldn't have this all night but you could if it is your thing.

Overall, kind of disappointed in this beer. My girlfriend and I were selecting beer to drink while watching some Christmas movies and she wanted a Belgian, I wanted a stout, we compromised with a Belgian stout, and we were both disappointed. Our disappointment was more profound because we've recently tried the Hennepin and Three Philosophers and found both to be quite delicious.

Now, I reviewed this assuming it really should be filed under some mythical category called "Belgian Stout," but it is equally weak when compared to Belgian Dark Ales. There's just not much flavor and its lacking qualities you would know and love about Belgian beer.

I am not going to say this beer is bad, or that it is poorly crafted, because it isn't. It is decent. When you break it down into each category though, each one comes up short except the way it looks.

Ommegang can do much better than this. If you're going to name something "Chocolate Indulgence," at least make it supremely chocolatey. Hell, even Sam Adams's Chocolate Bock has a more in-your-face chocolate character than this. I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid this, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get this either. If it falls into your lap, pop it and enjoy it but don't expect very much. If you have to make any kind of trade to get this or you are spending money on it, I wouldn't get it.

Cheers!