Microbrew Invitational

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang
New York, United States | website

Style: Belgian Dark Ale

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Reviews: 702 | Ratings: 1,293
3.74/5  rDev -1.8%

appearance - Nice lace stuck on this glass. Color is a dark brown color, wow real bif frothy head on this one.

smell - I smelled some cocoa here, but sorry I was sick so the nose was not working that good.

taste - I expected more here. I am a chocolate nut so I thought this was going to be like a candy bar. Like Sam Adams Chocolate Bock, that chocolate. This was more dark powdered cocoa. I tasted more the lines of cocoa here.

mouthfeel - Medium bodied

drinkability - This was the starter for thanksgiving. Split the bottle between 3 people. It was a nice beer, but I thought it was going to more. I was taste it again, but i won't buy it again, its not that hyped up.

FYI, I poured slow but it does note it on the bottle to pour it slow. I read after I poured it.

3.53/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Ommegang- Chocolate Indulgance

A- Hazy Brown with a big creamy head.
S- Powder cocoa and dried fruits (raisin and fig)
T- Sweet dried fruits; raisin, fig, prune with a huge scoop of chocolate powder (ovaltine)
M- Sweet and dry.

Overall- Just ok. The chocloate was very subdued.

3.51/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a corked, caged 750 mL bottle into my Chimay chalice. A moderate pour yields a scant finger of tan head with little retention, but some nice lacing. The beer itself is completely black and opaque.

The aroma smells faintly of cocoa but also of caramel and ... steaks on the grille? Or is that my overactive imagination?

The taste is a bit thin, with only a hint of cocoa in the aftertaste. The aftertaste actually reminds me of hot chocolate made with Hershey's cocoa powder and a touch of cayenne pepper (if you've never tried this, you should!).

The mouthfeel is somewhat of a letdown. From a name like chocolate indulgence, I expect a silky smooth coating of deliciousness on my palate. Instead, there is a sharp bite (surely not the moderate 7% ABV) and a thinness that is out of place.

This is a moderately drinkable beer... I'll have to treat the rest of it like a higher ABV ale, as I'm more inclined to sip this slowly. The most interesting thing to me is that this tastes very similar to a chipotle chocolate ale I made about a year ago... maybe I'll dust the last little bit with some chipotle powder and find out!

3.46/5  rDev -9.2%

Been off the Belgian bandwagon for a while. Still, this one intrigued me. 750, corked and caged. Chimay Chalice.

A - Ample tan head sits atop an opaque, nearly black dark brown brew. Head lasts well and laces the glass up nicely.

S - Yeasty smell leads the way as with most Belgian darks. Missing that big chocolate aroma I was hoping for.

T - Funky Belgian yeasts gives way to some fruit. Tiny hint of chocolate then a spicy, yeasty finish. Some cocoa in the aftertaste.

M - A nice coating feel with good carbonation and smoothness.

D - A fan of Belgians may be really into this. I think it's missing the mark as a stout. Not bad, fairly drinkable Belgian dark.

2.71/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a dark nearly black opaque brown with a small tan colored head. The head eventually reduces to a three hundred and sixty degree collar with random spots on top.

Smell is nearly nonexistent. All I'm really picking up on are faint hints of bitter cocoa and perhaps some dark fruit. This is leading me to believe this will be a disappointing beer.

Very subtle hints of cocoa and metal. Not sweet, really just a bittering cocoa finish. Lacks any degree of complexity. In my opinion it barely has a single dimension let alone any depth. Maybe raisins? But I feel I'm grasping in the dark for something that just isn't there. I can't say enough about how this is not bad, but rather the absence of good or bad. It just is and isn't much. I tried it at varying temperatures and I couldn't find much to indulge in.

Mouthfeel is on the good side of medium and has a slightly creamy consistency. Very drinkable, but mostly because the alcohol is hidden and there's nothing much going on. Very little taste. I'm vastly disappointed. Did I get an off bottle? Am I just missing something? I expect much better from Ommegang. Overpriced and underdone.

3.06/5  rDev -19.7%

Rich, deep brown color with a cocoa tan head on top. Rather bland aroma-somewhat chocolatey and yeasty but faint. Ok flavor-a lot less chocolate then I expected. Sharp, metallic flavor. Some bitterness against the mild chocolate flavor. Needs to be faintly sweeter for my liking. Average mouthfeel. Pretty average overall. I was expecting much more from this beer. Ommegang tends to put out top notch stuff-they missed their mark here. Too expensive for what is inside

4.02/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very dark brown with slight ruby tones, not quite opaque. A fair amount of dirty brown head forms but dissipates to a tracing. Esters battle it out with the chocolate in the aroma, with lots of dark fruits, slight high notes and some sweet cacao in the end. I would call this more a Belgian than a chocolate beer. On the palate, the chocolate becomes more pronounced. It blends fairly well with the fruit like yeast tones, never becoming cloying. The finish is very similar to one in a good dark chocolate bar, one like Valrhona where there are lots of fruity characters. The lack of sweetness detracts from the chocolate flavor, I feel, whereas a chocolate stout from Rogue balances nicely with some lactose added. Overall, it's an interesting concept, one I would drink again if only it wasn't so expensive.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours from the tap with a nice thick, creamy head. Initial smell is fruity with notes resembling that of a Belgian sour ale. Feels full bodied and sweet in the mouth. Brings a nice balanced chocolate flavor that finishes smooth with a slight almost coffee-like character on the tongue.
It is easy to go over board with flavors in specialty stouts such as this one, but the smooth finish makes this one very drinkable.

3.58/5  rDev -6%

On tap at Sunset Grill & Tap 11.16.2007.
Served in a tulip.

Pours a muddy, dark maple in color beneath a slightly tanned, carbonation filled head. Ringed and condensed lacing are left down the tulip's sides until the last sip. Powdery, milk chocolate with hints of dark chocolate as well; notes of mocha. Dark, fruity esters: raspberry, cherry. A lingering metallic aroma that really comes through over the other richer aromas. As in the aroma, the metal flavor is present practically from beginning to end, but the rich, creamy chocolate flavors certainly come through. Fudge, rough espresso beans, and mocha; hints of heavy cream with a thin layer of mustiness from the yeast strain. Full in body; slightly dry and carbonated, but is able to back up the chocolately rich malt flavors. Not one of my favorite offerings from Ommegang, and I'm not sure if there was something wrong with the tap lines providing the metallic flavor/aroma or if it was the offering itself. I guess that I'll have to purchase a bottle and find out.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

750 mL poured into a Duvel glass

A - pours black with a chocolaty head

S - a bit of roasty malt, maybe some caramel, and a bit of chocolate. Also, there are hints of Belgian yeast funk

T - a bit of bittersweet chocolate and roasty malt. The yeasty aspects also play on the tongue. Sort of underwhelming in some ways, but not bad

M - sort of light-medium leaning more toward medium; seems like it should be more full from looking at it; some carbonation

D - fairly enjoyable, but not sure I'd pick this up again

4.2/5  rDev +10.2%

I see that this has been classified as a Belgian strong dark. If we had a Belgian Stout category, this would be where it belongs- yet another argument for a designation of the style on BA. Pours black with a tan head that fades somewhat to athin cap but leaves some quite nice lacing as well. Smell is of milk chocolate with an underpinning of a slight Belgian sourness- somewhat winey.A dusty cocoa on the finish. The taste is nicely balanced between cocoa and some slight Belgian twang from the yeast. Quite chocolatey but smooth and somewhat light as well. Clean and delicious. Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.Quite drinkable.I hadthis after a Czar imperial stout from Avery and was thankful for the relative lack of sweetness in this one.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It poured a dark brown, almost black with a frothy coffee brown head that settled to cap the ale beneath. It smelled of cocoa, caramel and coffee. The taste was a little disappointing. With all that aroma I expected more of a chocolate and malt effect. However, I did find the dark malt and hint of cocoa with a touch of caramel in the taste. It was thinner in the mouth than I expected as well. I am a big fan of Ommegang's brews, but this one didn't stand up to their reputation.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

biergotter club brew/tasting 2007. both DrJay and biegaman brought bottles of this one, so thanks to both jay and jan.

750ml bottle, corked and caged.

pours deep brown, not quite black, with a big dense light brown head. the head drops slowly and leaves lots of lace.

aroma is good. light roast. lots of dark and bittersweet chocolate. nice belgian yeast character. bit of dried cherry. coffee. earthy hops. bit of alcohol.

taste is nice, but not quite as good as the aroma. caramel and toffee. light roast. bit of smoke? coffee. dark chocolate.

mouthfeel is good. touch of astringency, but not too much. medium body. medium carbonation level.

drinkability is good. an interesting mix of stout and belgian character, leaning more towards the belgian side. balanced and interesting, but not my favourite of the night.

3.08/5  rDev -19.2%

Served at cellar temperature in a tulip glass.

Pours a rich dark brown with a light brown head that dissipates quickly, leaving minimal lacing.

Aroma is faint and low, mostly bready yeastiness with some powdery cocoa.

Mouthfeel is somewhat thin, a bit tannic. Does not feel like a stout.

Flavor is disappointing. Where's the chocolate? Should be called Incognito rather than Indulgence because it is pretty well hidden. There is mostly a yeasty flavor, some cocoa and caramel, but there is no burst of rich chocolate as one might expect. Not very complex, not very enjoyable. A big letdown, I feel cheated.

1.91/5  rDev -49.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Ommegang tends to make some pretty solid brews. I have tried most of their stuff and been thoroughly supportive of what they do. Any brewery that is the offspring of Duvel must be good.

To the beer:

It poured nicely. Fairly thick with a nice rich espresso-colored head. Started out well. It seemed a little bubbly for what I was expecting, but I was looking forward to trying it.

The nose on it seemed to lack a little. Some cocoa with coffee as well, but not a lot of complexity to it.

Taste was booo, bad, terrible. I am REALLY disappointed in this beer. "Chocolate Indulgence" suggest a full bodied creaminess, an experience with many layers. This tasted like some chocolate barley and water with an overenthusiastic bottle-conditioning yeast. Both the taste and mouthfeel were reminiscent of a failed "chocolate hefeweizen" homebrew experiment I had, minus the bananas and cloves.

I can make crappy beer in my basement. I don't need to buy it.

I was splitting this with three other guys and we each had about a half a glass, hoping it would get better, and it kept disappointing.

Save the room in your stomach.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I was really excited over this one, only to be rather disappointed. Had this on tap and in the appropriate glassware at Muss&Turner's in Smyrna, Ga. It looked just wonderful in the glass. Absolutely black with some medium to dark brown coloured foam on top.
Smell was mostly dark roasted cereals, or rather burnt cereals, I should say. Some coffee was also present, and surprisingly little or no chocolate. As far as the smell went for the style, this was pretty good, but for what I was expecting from what I had read about this beer in particular, I wasn't impressed.
Now comes the big let down: Taste. This had a positively colossal presence of that damn metallic taste present in so many Belgians. In many cases, I can overlook this; see past it to the other attributes. In this case, however, it was much to assertive to ignore and pretty much ruined the experience for me.
Mouthfeel, too, was a bit of a let down. Very thin for the style and pretty much watery. Because of the big metallic taste and much-too-thin mouthfeel, I didn't even finish the thing. Very upsetting.

3.82/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Pours a nice dark brown, with hints of ruby on the edge. A thin tan layer of foam bubbles up and lots of lacing is on the glass.

S: Chocolate, but mixed with a bit of funk. Very interesting.

T: This is quite interesting, and damn tasty. The chocolate is of course the dominant flavor, but it's mixed with the typical Belgian funkiness, creating a very interesting blend of flavors. I chilled this, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes as it warms up. Chilled, the flavors seem to collide a little bit - I'm hoping they come together a bit more. Still, this is a great effort.

M: Smooth, with that Belgian yeastiness to it. Not in a bad way. Moderate carbonation.

D: This is an interesting offering from Ommegang - something a little different, but still quite tasty. Definitely worth trying.

4.08/5  rDev +7.1%

Basically opaque dark brown/black color topped by a whipped, frothy orangy-cocoa looking head. Everywhere on the glass too. Smells mostly...delightful like creamy fruity thick cocoa, bittersweet and dark chocolate. Its chocolaty and Belgian, and those two things go well together. Tastes matches the smell. There's not much to dislike about this beer. Its really enjoyable and mouthfeels awesome. Thick, fluffy and all encompasing. Mouth watering chocolate all throughout the finish. This is actually a lot like a fine chocolate beer cake.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

Very black with a nicely controlled frothy cream head. Smells like a dark dessert - rich chocolate over dark, juicy berries and oranges. Dark flavor is more "Belgium" than "chocolate". Vinous fruit, creamy cocoa center, followed by an unexpected blast of dry yeast. I seem to get a different impression of the flavor with each sip I take. Lightish for a stout, but creamy. It gets a bit more chocolaty towards the end of the glass as it warms. Pretty unique, which is always good for a special anniversary beer.

3.77/5  rDev -1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Looks a bit milk chocolaty compared to a typical stout. More head than expected. Nice lacing

S - Nice. Coffee, chocolate, malt. Some ABV, nothing fierce.

T - Smooth. Nice carbonation for Stout. Some biscuit. Not a lot of depth, but overall good. Coffee, but not as much as the smell. I dont get much of the "chocolate", though cocoa is present and w/o much sugar its not as potent. There is something at the end im having trouble identifying. I might have to edit this later. Something bitter? Hops?

M - Little more carbonated that expected. I think I would have preferred less. Not sure what this is due to.

D - Very nice overall. Stoutish is a bit lacking, not as thick as would like. I could have one of these every so often. Overall not sure worth the price.

* Bottle itself says Stout, ranked here as Dark Ale. Seems much more Dark Ale than Stout.

4.18/5  rDev +9.7%

On-tap in an Ommegang glass.

Solid black, with a roasted tan head, leaving lace...looks good!

Aroma: all cocoa powder with bittersweet espresso on the side. Rich, dark and lovely.

Taste: full-bodied, deep, and decadent. Well-rounded, well-balanced, with chocolate flavor rolling in...very mellow in the mouth, incredibly smooth. Chocolate isn't too big in the flavor, and the flavor isn't too big...it seems just right. Adding the word "indulgence" creates expectation of extremes in flavor, and begs comparison to Young's Luxury Double Chocolate Stout. It falls short by some in that regard, but I don't mind.

the first non-Belgian-style beer from Ommegang, if you don't count the inclusion of Belgian chocolate...a delcious stout, and the 7% abv doesn't get noticed...until now...oh, there you are...

But it's a solid stout, with noticable chocolate...
Happy 10th Anniversary, Ommegang!

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

This poured a dark brown black with a very small but milkshake-thich tan head and no discernable carbonation.
The smell was reminiscent of a porter, with toasted and burnt caramel, coffee and chocolate.
The taste included chocolate and coffee, but was totally overpowered by a very burnt caramel sugar taste. Not toasted, but blackened-burnt.
The feel was once agian dominated by the bitter burnt taste, and only offest by a little sweetness and the foamy thickness of the beer itself. It was certainly full-bodied but fell short of my expectations.
Many people I know have been singing the praises of this beer, but I was simply disappointed. Maybe it ages well and the stringency dies down a little, but for now, I'd pass on this one.

I was looking forward to trying this beer from Ommegang, one of the few breweries who is got the balls to make real beer. For guys like me who get sick of another Pale Ale or IPA, Belgian styles are always welcome.

A--Nice deep mahogany. Not too much head on this one but has some lacing on the goblet...

S--you can smell the chocolate in this one.

T--Nice flavor, the choc is coming out in the aftertaste...good.

M--Fine, this category is kinda cheesy.

D--Recommended, nice flavor and worth a try.

3.54/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured very dark, looked a lot like oil, with a great dark tan head. Head lasted for quite some time. No lacing as well.

Smelled of faint cocoa and very little yeast. As the beer warmed the cocoa began to smell more like chocolate.

Initial taste was all cocoa, no chocolate at all. I was a little disappointed by this. But as the beer warmed a chocolate flavor presented in the back palate. Some berry flavor came out also.

Incredibly silky texture and mouthfeel. Low carbonation.

A great dessert beer.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%

Finally decided to buy a bottle of this beer.

Pours a soot black color with ample brown head and lacing. Aroma is strong and the belgian chocolate shows though in the nose with roastiness and coffee notes. Taste is strong and roasty upfront with the belgian chocolate showing through very well in the aftertaste. A second sip detects more of the chocolate and it sticks more throughout the mouth. Rich, almost decadent and very drinkable.

Funny that it's not classified as a stout. Definitely qualifies kind of like an imperial stout here. The aftertaste is impressive and for the price, I feel it was a good choice. I might buy a second or third bottle to age down the road as this beer can only get better with age.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang