Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-27-2007)
4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Picked up a 750 ml single from Wilburs in Ft. Collins. Around $14.

A: poured a rich brown, slightly opaque. Huge dense tan/cream colored head. Extremely rocky. Excellent sticky lacing.

S: big time chocolate, chocolate syrup, a faint fruit hint. A slight bit of booze. A few hints of coffee as well.

T: Coffee is much more present than the nose, slightly bitter up front, dark fruits and burnt malts. Chocolate doesn't hit until the end, but it is very present. Really more on the cocoa side of the spectrum. Smoky.
M: Thick and creamy. Not a whole lot else. Slightly dry.

D: I can't say that it isn't undrinkable, but this is very rich and heavy. And sweet. One 750 is more than enough. Good beer to share though.

pokesbeerdude, Feb 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

great name... i don't have much of a sweet tooth but it still sounded good enough to make me buy it!

dark body and big tan head, but what an aroma! cocoa, candy, and dark fruit (with some alcohol emerging as it warms). flavor is more cocoa than chocolate, roasty bordering on burnt, with an unsweetened bitterness. smooth, creaminess you would expect.

i supremely enjoyed this. worth the money, for sure.

joshsbeerblog, Feb 10, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from the bottle a rich opaque black with a creamy chocolate-colored head.

Nice aroma of dark chocolate, malt, coffee, and raisins.

The taste opens with a dark and fruit fruity coffee flavor and ends with a nice, slightly bitter coupling of cocoa and black coffee.

Medium bodied, smooth and creamy, with a moderate carbonation.

I really enjoyed this beer and it's enjoyability. Belgian chocolate and Belgian ale go great together. Go figure.

Monkeyknife, Feb 10, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Really Enjoyed this brew. Picked it out at my local liquor store in Warsaw, Indiana. This brew is dark with a nice bubbly foam head. Leaves a nice spider web on the glass. Aromas of roasted and chocolate malts. Tastes of dark chocolate and roasted malts. Not to thick on the mouth and with that dark chocolate sweetness. Drinkable for a good dessert brew or specialty. Goes great with brownies or fudge!!

Pubcrawler, Feb 10, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +13.6%

Lingering fine bubble foam. Dark chocolate appearance. Warming it in my Magic Chouffe glass as it was chilling in my fridgerator.

Smells dry and earthy, maybe old black truffle. Very light.

Light and as advertised chocolaty. Dark and somewhat bitter. Medium to light body.
Not sweet. Has a length that approaches real solid chocolate but finishes with a clean bitterness. A lighter flavor than a coco nib with some chalkiness.

I really like the lace, it's so fine. Could be the finest I've seen. One step from Guinness foam.

This makes the best end to so many possible meals. I'm having it with Reed's Ginger Ice Cream following my home made black pepper & basil gnocchi. Sip and enjoy.

It's only 7% so I don't know how it would age but I might be willing to find out what 2 more years adds.

Dotcubed, Feb 09, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +19.4%

Warning: unavoidable joy to rate this beer... impenatrable black body filling out a Victory HopDevil nonick glass... substantial brown head laces as close to perfection as my pencil will allow.... thick, dense chocolate aroma reaches out from the table in front of me... fresh malts are also present.... soft milky toastedness settles the nostrils--I could SMELL this beer all night.... intense heat at the throat retreats, allowing a medium-bodied, slightly effervescent body to present comfortably... chocolate taste indeed--with subtle dairy and toasted flavors--some light esthers lift the weight... these Ommegang brewers do little wrong--I've ordered enough glassware from them to prove my appreciation!--and the Chocolate Indulgence is what it promises... for 7.0% ABV, unbelievably drinkable and character-laden...

dacrza1, Feb 08, 2009
3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

I poured this one from a 750ml corked and caged brown bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A= This ale poured a very muddy dark brown color with a 1/2" chocolate colored head. The head dropped in a few minutes and left just a bit of spotty lace on my glass.

S= This is a very muted beer. The aroma was mainly an awkward mix of chocolate malt, some mild earthy and floral hops, and a tiny bit of yeast. Too mild and muted IMO.

T= Like many have said, this was a boring flavor profile. Nothing tasted bad or "off" it just wasn't all that good. The chocolate was very muted and mildly sweet. There was hardly any stout roastiness, and the hops seemed to not fit the rest of the flavors very well. The yeast was mildly Belgian-funky, but not enough so as to give this any flair.

MF= This had a thin side of medium body and a watery mouthfeel.

D= Not a bad beer because of bad flavors, its more of a mediocre beer due to a lack of flavor. If you are goiing to call a beer Chocolate Indulgence, it needs to be decadent, or at least interestingly flavorful. This was a big disappointment.

spointon, Feb 06, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -6%

taste - roasted malts, slightly sweet mid-palate

color - deep chestnut brown

clarity - clear

smell - roasted malt, chocolate, bacon

body - medium, smooth mouthfeel

appearance - nice active carbonation once agitated, off-white head, lean

overall impression - was let down, looking for more complexity and structure, chocolate didn't come through for me given its name, i like my stouts darker, oilier, richer, and more complex

NorCalYeti, Feb 06, 2009

Reviewing this after finishing the bomber - fair warning.

a - dark stout with a caramel head

s - chocolate syrup

t - tasty. Nice chunky stout with some slight chocolate hits. Less chocolate than Southern Tier and more than the bitter-coffee non-chocolate in Rogue.

m - very nice medium feel. Good overall carbonation.

d - certainly up there and I'm not your usual stout drinker. Smooth up front right through the swallow with a deepening bitter aftertaste. My mouth feels like black coffee but that only prods me to take another sip.

Another quality brew from Ommegang. Even though I'm more prone to their belgian offerings I've yet to try one from them that I didn't like. 3 for 3 so far.

Of the three "chocolate" stouts I've tried lately, I'd rank them Southern Tier, Ommegang, and Rogue in that order.

talkinghatrack, Feb 04, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

750 ML into a snifter/ no freshness date

P: Inky black from the bottle, and sits opaque in the glass. Huge, healthy head is dark brown, thick & whipped, and frothy like hot cocoa foam with retention that just won't quit! Sticky lace left behind.

A: Creamy dark chocolate, caramel, a little Belgian yeast, and alcohol. Not nearly as pronounced I would have liked.

T: Hmm...this isn't very interesting, and is a bit awkward. There is a nice dark chocolate presence here, but nothing like I expected. I take it they were going for a delicate approach, but it's just so subdued & restrained. I mean, it is called "Chocolate Indulgence" for pete's sake! As it is, the flavors just don't satisfy my chocolate craving, and the rest of the flavors fail to mesh. Anyways, there is some roasty malt and caramel flavors here in the start. Then, some coffee and dark fruitiness join in. Seems to shift more toward the bitter side with more of a powdery cocoa taste towards the tail-end, with hardly even a hint of Belgian yeast. Floral hops stay buried underneath.

M & D: The mouthfeel of this one really fails for me. It's too light-bodied and carbonated, and feels more like a Pale Ale than a Stout. I think if it were more thick and creamy, it would have done the chocolate right. Drinkability suffers from this, as finishing this felt like a chore.

Notes: This is a Stout? Sure in the hell doesn't feel like it. There's decent chocolate flavors here, but just not enough of it. Maybe a bigger, more robust malt character, and a fuller, more creamy body would have done it justice. They're going for delicate subtlety here, and while there is some good potential, it just completely fails as far as I'm concerned. I'm very disappointed with this one.

sweetbrew82, Feb 04, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.8%

A: Very black with a fluffy tan head.

S: Somewhat funky but chocolaty. Fruitiness seems to be yeasty in nature, even a bit cheesy. Is that possible?

T: Belgian style yeast compliments the bitter dark chocolate character very well. Still a bit strange, but I think I like it. As it warms, the roasted barley flavors come forward. I still get a hard white cheese notes in the taste, but whatever that is works well too. A small bit of dark fruit notes in the aftertaste.

MF: Mouthfeel is more like a stout than a typical Belgian style beer. I am not sure if the spritzyness of the typical Belgian would work well anyhow.

D: Wonderful idea. The Belgian style yeast makes this much more drinkable than many a regular stout.

MerkinMan, Feb 03, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -19.9%

Pours a dark brown color with amber hued edges. A two inch light brown head forms on the pour and lingers with good retention leaving some nice lacing behind.

The aroma is ok but kind of boring. Slightly floral and hoppy with a bit of chocolate and booze.

The taste is ok, but again it's boring. It's pretty weak, but notes of chocolate and bitter roasted malt come through. A bit of a floral hop and a touch of banana also show up.

Mouthfeel is thin and moderately carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. The flavor profile is kind of boring, but the beer isn't unpallateable. For me, there's not enough chocolate, and not enough stout. I understand that Ommegang does Belgian style beers, but as a chocolate stout this beer fell flat on it's face. If I rate it as a Belgian strong dark, it also doesn't even come close to others in the category. This one needs work.

Goliath, Feb 02, 2009
4.63/5  rDev +21.5%

750ml bottle into 25oz snifter. 10th anniversary on the label ('97 to '07).

Pitch black with absolutely no light getting through, even when held up to the light. A thick and dense light brown head seems to last forever. On the first pour it was about two fingers high, when it settled to one finger, I added a little more beer and it stayed as a dense on finger head that goes nowhere. The retention of this beer is impressive. After a few minutes it settles to a pillow cap with a dense rim along the glass. Solid lacing all the way through.

Smells just like any other stout. Deep roasty malts with a good amount of black coffee. The dark bitter chocolate is very present in the aroma, very welcoming.

Deep bitter and roasty malt flavors. The bitter chocolate complements the malts very well. A little bit of spiciness is in there. I can't detect much of any hoppiness in there, which is fine with me. Full bodied.

I actually had Obamagang (Inauguration Ale) before I had this one, and I feel this one takes a slight edge. The chocolate is a bit stronger and the roasty malts dominate. Very little of the standard Belgian characteristics make it into this one. Smooth and complex, and a very tasty beer. Recommended.

BeerSox, Feb 01, 2009
3.8/5  rDev -0.3%

Blackish color in the barlight, served with an attractive two finger head with a brown-gray tint. Nicely craggy and attractive. Tons of lace.

The nose is pleasingly chocolatey, although I wouldn't particularly mind if this sweetly roasted character were more prominent. A certain yeasty dryness.

Flavors of bittersweet chocolate, herbal hops, a little sweet but also sour in the middle. The finish is full but a little metallic.

Too thin by half: I would appreciate a more significant malt profile. I don't remember exactly how I felt about it in the bottle, but on tap I thought it was carbonated well enough and imparted a pleasant richness to the palate. Not a bad stout, but it seems insubstantial somehow.

BretSikkink, Jan 31, 2009
3.68/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into pint glass.

A = Nice uniform dark color. Slow soft pour left about a 2 finger head. More aggressive pour into another glass left about 3.5 finger head. Wonderful thick lacing down glass.

S = decent. Definitely smell chocolate and light hops.

T = not bad. Didn't quite hold up to what I was expecting, but not something to pass on again in the future. It won't be something I'll search out often, though. Chocolate was decently balanced, and maybe even a little thin. Beer had the body to hold it up, though.

M = just fine. Nothing fancy. No letdown.

D = Something I would have no problem drinking again, but would preferably have a port wine instead.

HisDorian, Jan 29, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +5.8%

picked this one up in a 750ml belgian style bottle and have been waiting a little bit to drink it, not sure why. it pours almost completely black with a nice tan colored head. the smell is malt and dry cooking chocolate up front with some bannana and clove from the belgian yeast and a little bit of coffee at the end. minimal carbonation, perfect for the style. mouthfeel is medium bodied with some alchol present as the beer warms. not much of a halflife to speak of.
this is a good stout from a good brewery. if your looking for chocolate, its really not full of it, but there definately has somewhat of a chocolate taste. however the belgian yeast really buts a nice twist on the taste as well as the aroma. exceptional beer.
CHEERS!

dogfishandi, Jan 27, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Luxurious in appearance. Pours thick, gooey black, with a thick mocha colored head that looks like chocolate milk. Very bubbly looking. Not a ton in the way of lacing, though. Smells like cocoa powder and belgian yeast, with a little bit of sweet belgian sugars. The yeasty smell dominates though, and mingles with the chocolate for an interesting aroma.

Initial reaction: A lot rougher than I was anticipating. Chocolate flavor is chalky, and is far more bitter than I would have liked to seen. For me, it goes from bitter chocolate, all the way down to nothing. The whole thing is smoky more than creamy or rich. Once that flavor goes, it just thins out completely. Mouthfeel is kind of chunky and abrasive, in that I was expecting something silky smooth. This also considering that mouthfeel and overall bearing are pretty light. This is a little more like rough wool. It maintains decent drinkability considering thanks to the low ABV, but for me, this is just too one dimensional, where I expected something slinkier and more robust. Strip away the chocolate, and I'm left with a mainstream stout with nothing behind it. It's not terrible, but I certainly expected more.

damienblack, Jan 27, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to my bro for bringing this one to a family event.

A: Dark Black pour with an off white seriously frothy head. This has the appearance of a Belgian Quad, but looks slightly thicker, sitting there in the glass with the creamy foamy head. It looks marvelous!

S: There is not too much of a strong scent here, just some mild cocoa and yeast. ***Disclaimer** we sampled the Southern Tier Chokolat earlier in the session, perhaps we were still shellshocked.

T: A Yeasty beginning and finish. The cocoa is definitely there but not overhwelming. Its a malty creamy sipper, very enjoyable taste.

M: Velvety and Creamy a winner here on the mouthfeel.

D: Yes, this is drinkable for the style. A nice after dinner drink for sure but not only for such an occasion.

jstilwell, Jan 26, 2009
2.53/5  rDev -33.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a snifter glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a short light brown head that fades very slowly and leaves a very thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but estery and a little metallic with some chocolate, Belgian yeast and roasted malts.

T: The taste is malty up front and has a metallic bite to it in the beginning, even after I let it sit for a while once it was poured. There are flavors of dark chocolate and Belgian yeast. The hops presence is mild and brings a little balance. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, slightly sticky finish.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, good kick, decent representation of style, for all the hype Ommegang gets and for this beer in particular, I don't think it was well-deserved. I was definitely not impressed with this beer at all.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 25, 2009

Appearance- Dark brown with a light brown head almost like cocoa

smell- Slight to no chocolate aroma

Taste- Not as chocoaltey as I thought it would be. I thought it would have a heavier flavor of chocolate than it did. I was kind of dissappointed.

Mouthfeel- Bubbly, carbonated

Drinkability- Hard to finish the whole one to myself..

SBALDWIN, Jan 19, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

I'm a fan of what Ommegang has done, and a chocolate Belgian-style stout sounds great!
Pours a really dark brown that's nearly black. There are some deep brown highlights and a small to medium white head the form on a normal pour.
Smells like baker's chocolate, rich roasted coffee, and spicy yeast.
Not sure why there are so many reviews that claim they aren't getting the chocolate. It's definitely there, and I don't just mean baker's cocoa. It's definitely a dark chocolate, but it's pretty obvious. With the roasted flavors, it's like a mocha. Unlike some other Belgian stouts, this one keeps the yeast in check...which is good in my opinion. It isn't always something that blends well. In this case it's peppery, but in the distant background. Hops there there and you can pick them up, but luckily their earthy flavor blends more with the chocolate and doesn't really seem overdone. There's no alcohol heat or potency at all. Great tasting stuff for sure!
I split a bottle of this with dinner, and with the moderate alcohol I'd have no issue with having a bottle myself. The price point of $10 is steeper than most of Ommegang's offerings, but it's not the end of the world. Still, it's worth mentioning.
Anyway, I really enjoyed this and would get it again if it were available. Don't necessarily back off thinking that the reviewers aren't getting any chocolate. I found it to be the prominent flavor.

Domingo, Jan 19, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a goblet.

Appearance: Poured dark brown, with a two-finger tan head made up of tiny, tiny bubbles. The head subsided fairly quickly, but left a thin layer for most of the glass. Left a nice blanket of lacing on the sides of the glass. Looked like melted chocolate coming out of the bottle.

Smell: Roasted malts, and some milk chocolate in the background. Hints of vanilla seep through. Some dark fruits as well. It's Belgian character is also noticeable.

Taste: Bitter roasted malts up front, mixed with some coffee. Surprisingly bitter. Alcohol is hidden very well. There's not much of an aftertaste, nor much of depth of flavor. There is the initial bitterness, and not much else. Belgian yeast flavor is also present, but doesn't seem to mesh with the other flavors. I barely detected any chocolate flavor at all.

Mouthfeel: Nice and creamy, but thinned out a bit as it warmed. A little too highly carbonated, which gives this a little more bite then I was expecting.

Drinkability: I'm really not sure how to rate this one. I was definitely disappointed by this beer - it wasn't bad per se, but not at all what I was expecting. It was very one-dimensional, and there wasn't much depth of flavor. I kept hoping it would get better as it warmed, but it just didn't. It smelled and looked great, but the taste just didn't live up to it.

StarlightSeraph, Jan 18, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

The mere idea of a Belgian stout is instantly enticing and when I first saw this last year I remember being sorely tempted but always picking up something else instead. Then my brother picked me up a bottle in 3 pack from Ommegang (that came with the sweet goblet I poured this into) for Christmas this year. Rock it.

It was cold out of the fridge so I've been letting it warm and observing the changes. The body is a lifeless black with a medium tan head that has nice bubbles and caps in a few minutes. The nose is thick with bitter chocolate and cocoa and underlying dark fruits, grape skin, and yeast.

Initially plenty of carbonation somewhat hinders what turns out to be an inventive taste, marked by baking chocolate bitterness and a series of smoked and toasted notes. The underlying dark fruits and a touch of alcohol line the aftertaste. The texture recovers from the initial bubbles to be velvety smooth at the end.

More Belgian than stout, this certainly has agreeable characteristics from each. I'd be curious if that carbonation could be mellowed by aging it. Lots of possibilities here, good stuff.

daliandragon, Jan 18, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +8.4%

very good desert beer and overall a good brew; chocolaty and malty taste and smell that accents the chocolate, but then leaves a bitter aftertaste. A lot of sediment in the beer adds complex flavors and pours an impressive head, but the malty ending takes away from the chocolate that starts the beer off so well.

CHickman, Jan 18, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -12.6%

Purchased the Ommegang 10 year anniversary pack. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into my Ommegang chalice.

An aggressive pour yields a rich black with a thick, soapy mocha head that leaves sticky chocolatey lacing all over the inside of the glass.

Smell is sweet and yeasty at first. After agitation, smells mostly of roasted malts, bittersweet chocolate and coffee.

First taste is all roast. Very smoky and not sweet at all like I expected. It's not at all overwhelming or bad, just not what I had in mind. I really don't taste the Belgian yeast that was apparent in the nose at all. Where does it go?

Mouthfeel is very light...perhaps too light for a Chocolate Indulgence Stout. I assumed it would be rich and thick.

Gyle41386, Jan 18, 2009