Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Chocolate Indulgence Stout - Brewery Ommegang

Chocolate Indulgence StoutChocolate Indulgence Stout

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 09-27-2007

Chocolate Indulgence offers a thick tan head of foam resting atop of the rich onyx-hued liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal notes of perle hops compliments the darker aroma notes, making the beer fully savory to all the senses.
Reviews: 695 | Hads: 1,262
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

Thick pour, with a hot chocolate color head that lasts forever. Two opposite smells of chocolate, one being sweet chocolate- the later being dark. French roast coffee beans come out a little on the nose as well. The palate starts off with chocolate that is actually quite creamy, almost sweet. Only until you take a breath of air, does the dark roasted malts and dark chocolate really take effect. I really wanted to see more of a rich/creamy palate with a chocolate style beer. Good balance, nothing over the top- although I would appreciate a little more complexity to be great. (580 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

Poured into snifter.

First off this beer was amazing. It seems to get alot of beef on this site and I dont know why.

It was deep deep brown with almost 2 finger cream head. Picture perfect. It smelled of a roasted toffee chocolate with light fruit notes. The taste wasnt what I expected but was delicious. It was of a sweet cream and almost roasted nutty flavor. I was amazed. Delicious. The mouthfeel was a bit thin and carbonated for my liking esepccialy for a stout but the flavor made up for it. Very drinkable, especially as an after dinner drink or right before bed. (574 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

Shared with Jeed2316

2010 bomber, poured into a New Belgium glass.

The aroma is very much dark cocoa and oak. The first taste is fairly bitter, as the cocoa is a bit overwhelming. As it warms, the beer smooths out and the chocolate taste is much more appealing. There is a strong chocolate aftertaste as well. Overall, it is a good, but not amazing beer.

I've also had this on draught at the Gingerman in Ft. Worth in early 2011. I remember the chocolate flavor being masked a bit more by the fact that it came out of a keg. (527 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence Stout

A - Very very dark. Pours with hardly any head and as close to zero lacing as you can get and still have lacing. This leaves a fine oily film all the way down your glass while drinking. Reminds me of an Imperial Stout in appearance

S - Wonderful chocolaty smell with just a hint of coffee

M - Lightly tingles the tongue with a light aftertaste. Very pleasant.

T - Dark fruit with hints of chocolate and coffee. A wonderful balance that is oh so reminiscent of an Imperial stout.

D - I could sip this all night, or have it with a nice steak. Hey, I think I will!

This one is a winner in every respect and comes highly recommended. (671 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +15%

a - dark brown, with a nice creamy head.

s - first smell , i thought it was a guiness. it smelled close to a 3 minute fresh stout, then it took it's our characteristic of slightly cocoa.

t - excellent dark cocoa stout taste. very fresh tasing, a little sweet, but not alcoholic.

m - not much carbonation, just like a stout.

d - one bottle is enough for the evening. but very enjoyable to drink. (398 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -28.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Shared with the family for Christmas. Poured into three Sam Adam's Lager Glasses (Fourpack for Christmas).

Quick tan head on a black body.

Subtle nutty aroma. Not much in the nose.

The bitter chocolate dominated the flavor. There is a bit of dark roasted flavor, but all I could taste is unsweetened chocolate. Not impressed.

It did have a full luxurious mouth, which was the best quality.

I'm glad I shared it with my cousin and my sister, because I could not have drunk it all by myself. (495 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Overall a very good beer. not as amazing as i had hoped, but a very good beer. $18 worth at a bar??? Cheaper than a bottle of wine, and twice as nice.

Appearance - Dark and lovely. Picked it up at a local and split with a buddy. Great container. Worth of the "wine" package.

Smell - Not too strong here. A little light on the malt, but definitely alcoholic with a tinge of cocoa.

Taste - Not too amazing, but very good. For what the hype was, I guess I had my hopes up. Very good, but not great.

Mouthfeel - Alcoholic, a little chocolate, and a little light for the type.

Drinkability - I could see having a bottle of that with friends as an aperitiff. Nice finish and nice atmosphere. (694 characters)

Poured from a 2010 750ml bottle.

Appearance was dark and stout black with a reasonable tan head.

Aroma had a hint of coffee and chocolate

Taste has a bit more coffee and not as much chocolate as I like, but nicely balanced and has hint of roasted malts and spice

nicely carbonated, with smooth mouth feel

Good beer, better Chocolate stouts, but nice on a cold evening. (373 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -10.5%

This is a beautiful beer once it's poured into a chalice. But I was expecting something more than simply pretty.

A: It's not black, but a dark-enough brown that I caught just a flicker of light when I held the glass to my desk lamp. That's topped with a foamy tan head. Very nice.

S: The aroma is a luscious mix of bitter chocolate, toffee, roasted malts and a touch of alcohol. Unfortunately, it promises more than it delivers.

T: I expected a lot of a special release from one of my favorite breweries -- and maybe that's why this is disappointing. The chocolate flavor is there, nicely balanced with the roasties, and it's not too sweet. But a metallic tinge, present even as the beer warms, takes away from the overall experience.

M: About what it should be.

D: This isn't a bad beer by any stretch, but given Ommegang's track record, I was expecting to be blown away. I got a nice chocolate stout instead -- and that feels like a little bit of a letdown. (964 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A: Dark, nice carbonation, thick head even at the slow pour to not disturb the yeast sediment.
S: At first open you get a misty smell of chocolate, fades fast and gets overwhelmed with the bready yeast smell.
T: first sip was yeasty Belgian breads, not much coco flavors but you eventually get the dark roasted malts. More dark coffee and chocolate flavors start to take over.
M: creamy, fizzy, hoppy.
O: very enjoyable although I wish I got more chocolate upfront, but the more you sip the more the delight. (511 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle. Pours real dark with medium head in goblet.

Smells like licorice then cocoa.

Very little direct chocolate notes on the drink at first. Tastes more like licorice to me. Has bitterness of dark chocolate. Caremelized roasted malts give it a nice flavor. Some alcohol at the end. Reminds me some of oak aged brew.

Good carbonation level.

Its not what I was expecting from a chocolate stout. (406 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

A- Pours a nice two finger mocha colored head. Almost jet black with not a bit of light coming through.

S- Hints of coffee and chocolate. I do notice the alcohol smell in this one.

T- This is a very smooth stout. Tastes of coffee, Caramel malt and of course dark bakers chocolate.

M- Very smooth and slightly thick. Has some great substance like a good stout should.

D- This goes down very easy and I could see myself having a couple of these over the course of a couple of hours. (484 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The head is brown and very tall with small bubbles that have great retention. Only a few large bubles are present in center. During the pour there is a good amount of 'flowing' of the bubbles along the sides of the glass. The color is very dark and completely opaque.

The smell is sweet with hints of fruit and spice; there is a slightly burnt aroma mixed in. On tasting, there is little carbonation but a thick feel. The roasted-coffee is apparent at the start with only a small amount of bitterness for balance.

The aftertaste is where the chocolate is noticable. The taste lingers for a while, but it feels like a surprisingly thin coating.

Overall, it has a strong body that is well-balanced. The chocolate is apparent but not as overwhelming as I was expecting. (769 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

A: Bottle poured a deep dark black with a tall tan loose bubbly head that stayed around for the whole session.

S: It has nice strong toasty malt aroma with a little semi-sweet cocoa scent mixed in. Some nutty, and coffee tones also add to the nice smell.

T: There isn't as much of a chocolate taste as I expected from the description and smell. It has a nice balance of coffee and toasted malt flavors with only a hint of bittersweet cocoa to it. The alcohol gives it a nice warming sensation too.

M: There was little carbonation and a nice smooth somewhat velvety mouthfeel. Very nice dessert beer mouthfeel.

D: Overall, this beer was a little different than I expected it to be but I still enjoyed it a lot and could have drank another tall bottle of it. It's a great dessert/after dinner beer. (800 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured nicely with a rich dark black. Had a nice tan head which reduced down to about 1/8". Smelled mildly of chocolate, not near as much as I thought it might, slightly smokey scent, had a wheat scent with a touch of something spicy...allspice perhaps.

Tasted of chocolate, that was expected, coffee, and lots of roasted malts, and roasted hazelnuts. Wasn't near as chocolately as I had expected, the chocolate was very mild, subtle. Had a nice mouthfeel. Was a nice bodied stout with the mildest bit of carbonation.

Overall it was a rather nice beer, wasn't out of the park but very good. Quite enjoyable and easy to drink. (628 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Origin: 1 Pint 9.4 FL. OZ. Bottle
Bottled on: ?
Tasted on: 03/29/11
Glassware: Dogfish Head Immort Ale Snifter.
Serving Temperature: Approx 50 F

Appearance: Pours a thick 1 1/2 finger tan head. As the head dissipates, it leaves a lovely lacing on the side of the glass. The body is pure black.

Smell: Rich cocoa, vanilla, malts and oak.

Taste: Dark chocolate up front, slight sourness from the malts come through in the middle and has creamy cocoa finish with a slight amount of heat from the alcohol (Almost undetectable, but present).

Mouthfeel: Thick, rich and creamy.

Concluding thoughts: AMAZING! If you want a chocolate beer, this one will not disappoint. At 7% ABV, its an extremely drinkable beer. (710 characters)

2.24/5  rDev -41.1%

Served in a tulip @ ~45 F

Nose: Metallic up front, some citrus, spice notes (yeast derived), and very slight hint of earthy dark chocolate.

Appearance: Black, nearly 100% opaque, with a large fluffy brown head and nice lacings.

Flavor: First hit with a bit of citrus fruit followed by some spices, maybe a hint of nutmeg, and that earthy dark chocolate bitterness. But in the end it is a predominate metallic aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, but that metallic taste ruined it all because it left me thinking I was sucking on a penny.

Overall: Somethings wrong here, hopefully only my bottle. I can see where you'd get metallic flavor from using too much chocolate or maybe the wrong type. Perhaps that is what happened. But it wasn't pleasant, I dumped the bottle with a frown on my face... I love Chocolate beers and Ommegang but this one was just bad. (861 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -19.7%

I'm sorry to say that this beer was a little bit of a let down. Everything seemed fine until I tasted pennies in the finish. I know it had something to do with the cocoa used in the brewing but I'm not sure exactly how this happened. A friend also had the same experience. Maybe I'll give this beer a try again if I can find it on tap. (335 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into pint glass.

A = Nice uniform dark color. Slow soft pour left about a 2 finger head. More aggressive pour into another glass left about 3.5 finger head. Wonderful thick lacing down glass.

S = decent. Definitely smell chocolate and light hops.

T = not bad. Didn't quite hold up to what I was expecting, but not something to pass on again in the future. It won't be something I'll search out often, though. Chocolate was decently balanced, and maybe even a little thin. Beer had the body to hold it up, though.

M = just fine. Nothing fancy. No letdown.

D = Something I would have no problem drinking again, but would preferably have a port wine instead. (690 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of a 750 bottle into a Belgian beer chalice. Gave it a medium strength pour which produced a slight head of a tannish/brown color, about 1 finger which subsided after about 45 seconds. Thick lacing and a very dark color beer. I smell roasted hops, dark bitter chocolate, a hint of alcohol, and some residual sugars. The taste is chocolatey, a little much sugar, dark roasted flavors, a little bitter, some oak, and a hint of alcohol. The roast and the sugar are not as balanced as I would like, but still pretty palatable. The mouthfeel is ok, there's a little too much carbonation I think for this style of beer. By itself this beer is a good treat, especially as a winter warmer but I could only have a few of them before I would feel a sugar overload. (765 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

App. - Dark. Very dark pour with an extremely thick head (3/4 fingers). Much lacing present.

Smell - Not much here. Chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.

Taste - Holy Hershey bar batman! Seriously, lots of chocolate. Milky flavor as well.

Mouth. - Smoooth. Very palatable and easy to keep drinking.

Over. - There's just so much chocolate and cream. It's a great brew that I wasn't expecting much from. (407 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

A: Very dark, almost black with a tan colored head. Held up to light, it appears to be a dark brown color.

S: There are roasted malt, yeast, molasses, licorice and alcohol aromas with a slight wood or cork aroma.

T: Dark, roasted malts and dark unsweetened chocolate. Finishes with a bitter sweet molasses taste. The roasted and chocolate tastes dominate, along with some mild hops.

M: Smooth, with a creamy finish and medium carbonation.

D: This beer is not as sweet as I anticipated, and the chocolate is very subtle. It pairs very well with dark chocolate and chocolate dessert, but alone, it's alittle disappointing. Given the high price of this, it's hard to justify buying more than one a season, though it's still a fantastic beer. (742 characters)

Appearance- Dark brown with a light brown head almost like cocoa

smell- Slight to no chocolate aroma

Taste- Not as chocoaltey as I thought it would be. I thought it would have a heavier flavor of chocolate than it did. I was kind of dissappointed.

Mouthfeel- Bubbly, carbonated

Drinkability- Hard to finish the whole one to myself.. (336 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Got this in a 3pack of 750s along with Hennepin and Three Philosophers which I have had before and know to be great.

Poured into a 16oz founders brewery tulip glass.

Appearance is of a Irish stout. Big rich looking head.

Smells like burnt coffee with slight chocolate overtone.

Taste was underwhelming. Much less exciting than I expected or hoped. Much lighter mouthfeel than I expected.

Overall a mediocre beer and big disappointment. Not one of omegagangs best efforts. (481 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours with light carbonation. Unexpected, given the bottle conditioning. Quite dark, with some ruby highlights, and plenty of sticky lacing.
Aroma is chocolate, some slight astringency, but clean overall.

Taste is well balanced, though a bit on the dry side. Some nice bitter dark chocolate notes (I'd hope so, if they're going to call it Chocolate Indulgence).

Mouthfeel is just right. Not too chewy. Me likes.

Overall, a well-crafted beer. I'd expect a bit more chocolate umph, given the name. But I think this is right in line with Ommegang's portfolio of well-crafted, one-off brews. (590 characters)

Chocolate Indulgence Stout from Brewery Ommegang