Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Ommegang Adoration Ale - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang Adoration AleOmmegang Adoration Ale

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 08-04-2009

Ommegang Adoration, brewed in the authentic style of Belgian winter, or noel beer, is dark, malty and assertively spiced.

Adoration is best sipped before a roaring fire. It would also be a tasty accompaniment to dark roasts and wild game. Even at 10% abv, the beer is well balanced and not at all hot or fiery. The dark malts give it lush, malty flavors, including coriander, orange peel, mace, cardamom and grains of paradise. Hopping is modest, as befits such a beer.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ommegang Adoration Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 362 | Hads: 1,105
2.14/5  rDev -47.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Adoration by Ommegang Brewery is a good beer, and a great beer if you like coriander. Personally I do not like that taste. This Belgian style of beer would be a good choice for those of you that like Blue Moon, one Shock Top.

2.38/5  rDev -41.5%

750 ml into Duvel tulip.

Picked this up at Hop City today.

I love Ommegang's work. I love out-there beers. I even love super-spiced beers that everyone else whines about being out of balance.

This one is just bad. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I don't think that I'll want to shell out $13 for another try (I think that's what it was: I just bought it without even checking the price).

I didn't drainpour it but, but if I was the drainpouring type, it would be flowing through the sewers right now.

The only thing I've tasted that was anything like this was a hefeweizen I brewed before I understood the brewing process. I added mangoes to it, spiced it with too much coriander (I know, I know--that belongs in a witbier, not a hefe), and fermented too warm. AND it got a bottle infection.

Oh, but Adoration has a lot of chocolate in the flavor profile, too! No mango, of course, but they make up for it will the overabundance of other spices.

It's a little better as it warms, but it's just not a good beer. The yeast provides great flavor, as usual, but the rest of it just destroys it.

All the other reviews of this one are very good, so this makes the likelihood of a bad bottle much higher (especially considering that it tastes most like an infected homebrew). But it really tastes like this is coming from the spices.

Sorry to be a downer, but I would avoid this one and pick up Hennepin, Biere de Mars, Ommegeddon, or any of Ommegang's other spectacular brews.

2.41/5  rDev -40.8%

This was a beer that I tried right around Thanksgiving. I saw it on the menu and I got it because I really like what Ommegang does with their Belgian Ales.

The smell was a sweet cranberry Christmas smell, a good smell to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The mouthfeel was as expected with a sweeter beer. It had a sugary fruit beginning, and then alcohol just killed it. I like the high alcohol content, but it seemed like it was half of the beer's flavor.

The taste was that of sweet fruit, a little bitter from the lemon, but it was still a suprising flavor profile.

I think it is worth trying because you never know.

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Picked up a bottle of this at a small, underrated bottle shop in South St. Paul, Petschen's. If you're ever in the neighborhood, check it out, they sometimes have some nice gems in dark corners.

Pours a stirred, muddy reddish-brown. Smell is stifling, locked-in-a-spice-closet strong, mixed with sugared candy.

Adoration just comes on too strong for my taste. The spices, instead of being polite & complementary to the beer, come fishtailing out of the snifter at high speed. I'm sure all the spices on the label are well represented, but holy man, my mouth is overwhelmed. Not only that, I can feel the beginnings of heartburn coming on after only a few sips. There's a Belgian sweetness to it that adds to the chaos & instead of taming it, just piles on the difficulty I'm going to have finishing this.

Extreme winter warmer? This is it. I don't really want to pan this brew, because if you love spices in your beer, you're going to love Adoration. But it's too much for me, way, way too much.

2.59/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

It's a deep, rich brown, with some lighter red hues thrown in for good measure. The head is a finger of light, off-brown bubbles. Retention is about 90 seconds and then it's gone quickly, save a light ring around the edges.

Honestly, I'm not sure I smelled anything. There's a bit of malt, possibly some toffee, but none of the ingredients listed on the bottle came through.

The taste is similar to the smell, there's not much too it. Either that, or there's so much going on I couldn't pin point anything. All I could pick up was a bit of malt and a lot of alcohol, though well into the finish there was a chocolatey sensation.

This is a strong beer. It's 10% ABV and it feels every bit of it. Definitely a beer to sip, as anything more feels like you're knocking back a shot of something. Slightly fruity and then some spiciness before nothing but heat to finish.

I like a lot of the beers from Ommegang, but not this one. It's simply too strong for my liking. I don't mind 10% ABV, I'd just like it hidden a bit better. More hops and/or more sweetness would be appreciated.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

75 cL bottle poured in to an Ommegang flute

It pours a murky burn orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dies down

I'm picking up a lot of burnt sugar/brown sugar, Belgian yeast and a little bit of orange peel. It isn't very exciting but not too offensive.

The first thing I taste are the classic dark ripe fruits of a BSDA. Then this citrus flavor comes in and starts to clash with it. The spices used in the brewing process are once again clashing with the spice flavors from the yeast. To top it off the 10% alcohol is present on the backside and a bit too much. This is kind of a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It is a bit of a hot mess.

This carbonation actually does a decent job of scrubbing the taste out after the sip which in this case is a good thing. The alcohol presence is hurting drinkability though. I've had many other 10% BDSA that drink much better.

I like the concept of a Belgian winter warmer but the execution came off with just to many things going on. There are clashing flavors all over the place and it leaves me dissatisfied and that is a first by a beer from this usually amazing brewery.

2.78/5  rDev -31.7%

Pours a hazy wooden amber with a huge off white head. Aroma is spicy from the yeast and cardaman, orange peel is defintiely there, candied sugar, spruce tips (even though I know they aren't actually there) and some alcohol. Flavor is sweet and spicy, with a bit too much sweetness going for this thing. Flavors follows the aroma pretty well though. A super fizzy, thinner mouthfeel. Overall, a touch to sweet for me, personally. Would prefer this one at half the abv, so it could cut back on some of the sugars this one drops on you.I didn't hate this, but also not a fan of this.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- merky copper, 1/2" quickly fading off white head

S- sour, grapes, apple cider, bubblegum, typical winter spices, pumpkin ale

T- sweet soured grapes, apple cider, wine, medicine, spices, ginger bread, alcohol, pumpkin ale

M- medium body, crisp carbonation, alcohol heat

O- my first ommegang and i must say its barely tolerable. It's like someone took a bunch of grapes and apples, put them in a jar until they rotted, and poured it into my tulip. Intensely sweet & sour grapes/apples dominate everything, with holiday spices and bubblegum yeast playing the supporting role. I sit here with half a bomber left and continue to tell myself "it'll get better, let it warm a bit." I'll try my hardest not to drain pour this, but i can't guarantee anything...

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. Served in a chalice, the beer pours a ruby red/brown color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is sweet, the brew smells like dark fruit, coriander, orange peel, and some bready malt. Unfortunately, the taste isn't sweet like the aroma. There's a bitter and slightly metallic flavor that I notice more than anything else, although it's not too overpowering. Orange peel, dark fruit, and spice flavors are also noticable. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and is well carbonated. Drinkability isn't good, but would be better if Iiked the taste of this beer. It was hard enough for me to finish the bottle. For whatever reason I just didn't care for the taste of this brew.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

750 ml bottle poured into my large St Feuillien goblet, Adoration is a dark chestnut brown with a small off-white head leaving scattered lace.

Smell is a kind of dry, dusty spiciness, fairly strong, reminiscent of a gran marnier truffles, but with cheaper booze and no chocolate.

Taste is way heavy on the spices, whoa! Like the nose, it's not really sweet, the high attenuation and ABV mixes with the spices to provide a fairly thin, boozy spice bomb. Perhaps just a bit of nuttiness to the malt. Loosely in the style of the best Noels, but way to exaggerated, utterly lacking in both charm and nuance.

Mouthfeel is pretty creamy, dry and medium light bodied.

Drinkability isn't too high. This beer was both poorly designed and executed, and was a burden to finish.

3.15/5  rDev -22.6%

Draft at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ.

Pours a hazy dark brown color that's completely opaque with a slight plum hue and a one finger off-white head that quickly settles into a lasting ring. Sporadic streaks of lace left behind.

Slightly spicy aroma with a subtle toasted malt presence and a strong vinous dark fruit character. Hints of pepper and coriander along with some grape, plum and raisin. Faint chocolate malts as well but the nose is dominated by dark fruit notes.

A little thinner bodied than expected with a balance of zesty spice, estery dark fruit, boozy sweetness and dark malt. The malt preence is much more faint than the aroma suggests with some toffee and chocolate which are overpowered by the sweet fruit and spice flavors. Some zesty pepper along with corriander and clove countered by hints of grape, plum, cherry and other dark berries. The fruit presence is really strong but it's countered by a slightly chalky medicinal presence that is a bit off-putting before finsihing with more boozy sweetness.

Overall this beer wasn't bad but the dark fruits overpower everything as it warms, even the zesty spice which provided a nice balance up front. It's also a bit hotter than expected with a poorly masked abv. I'm glad I didn't buy a 750.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Pours a fairly clear dark brown with a tannish 2 finger head that shows good retention and lacing.

Typical BSDA phenols and esters, but the spices really don't work in my mind and throw the whole beer out of whack toward a peppery/orangey realm.. too much.

I respect the effort, but don't care for the overall package.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

Poured a dark brown with a light tan head in a tulip glass. The head died quickly with no lace.

The aroma of wheat/grain and bread. It tasted of whiskey and malt with some bitterness on the finish. The coriander is there but the alcohol content is deceiving, this one will hit you hard before you know it.

It had a silky mouthfeel with high carbonation, it tingled on the tongue. Shared with my mom but she didn't like it. It is a good example of a dark belgian.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

750 ml bottle poured into a Meantime tulip. Serve at 50 F, 10% ABV, Packaged on 08/28/09, Best by 08/2014.

A - Adoration pours very effervescent. The color is a dirty pond water amber brown with a light tan head. It fades to a ring in an instant. No lace but a few legs are left after a hearty swirl.

S - A robust aroma bursting with mellow fruits and spices accompanies a dark candi-sugar, sweet aroma. Raisins and white grape with a citrusy orange peel blend well with what seems like a bit of cinnamon and coriander with husky grains of paradise. Toasted malts on the back end. No hops or alcohol present.

T - The amount of spices reach an almost cloying level. They blend well together well enough that none stands out over the other. A bit of the citrus leaves a zing on the finish though. Again, the fruits are mellow. A little raisin and white grape. No hops again and the toasted malts are pushed to the back end but in the flavor the alcohol really seems to come out. A bit solvent-like on the finish, it's almost like doing a shot. I don't think there is enough "meat and potatoes" to this beer. It's all alcohol and spice and increasingly hard to take.

M - For a lack of head there sure is a high level of carbonation in this one. Medium-light bodied and spicy with a warming alcohol kick. Dry finish with a "head-shaking" zestiness.

D - Damn it. I should have shared this bottle. A disappointing finish to a day worthy of a celebration, Adoration isn't an easy drinking beer by any means but one not unworthy of sipping during winter. Best shared with some good friends.

[This doesn't change my review, but by the third glass it became a little better all-around, mainly in drinkability. Then again, that could be the alcohol kicking in.]

3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Pours an attractive dark amber/orange color with a bit of haze. At first a large beige head rises to over two fingers and gently recedes to a ring after a few minutes. Some light lace is left.
S: Some spicy and peppery yeast is dominate. Some light orange peel and sweet malt. I can't get much else out of the nose.
T: Like the nose big peppery yeast and sweet malt. Some light nondescript fruitiness as well. I don't get much else.
M/D: A medium body with crisp carbonation. Fairly smooth. The big alcohol is noticeable. A slow sipper for shore.

For what ever reason Ommegang just never seems to impress me all that much. They make some good beers, but I don't know if I have had anything truly great. This is one of the weaker offerings I have had from them lately. Not bad at all, just kind of ho hum for me.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Beer notes from 12/7/09; had it on tap at Tyler's Taproom in NC: pours copper amber brown with a small tan head; smells sweet with spices, malt, orange peel, coriander, cinnamon and more spices. Tastes spicy up front with yeast, malt, orange peel, coriander, cinnamon and spices like a heavy Belgian that seemed unbalanced. Almost tastes skunky from all the winter spices (pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.), with mild carbonation that had an overall heavy feel to it. This brew was OK, but I would hesitate to get this again.

3.22/5  rDev -20.9%

A - One finger of light brown head on top of an opaque, dark brown body with some reddish-brown highlights showing through against the light. The foam settles fairly quickly and leaves little lace.

S - Spice aroma of yeast and actual spices with notes of clove, cardamom, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper. Lots of sugary malt backing up the spices, particularly caramel and molasses. The real belgian yeast notes come out at the end with some fruity plum notes and peppery yeast spice that plays well with the rummy sugar character.

T - Thick, sugary malt up front, lots of brown sugar, molasses, and caramel with a bit of toffee. Huge spice character appears in the middle. Cinnamon and clove with nutmeg. Finishes with more sugary, brown malt flavors and some actual yeast notes that thankfully begin to push aside the spices. Lingering molasses and brown sugar as well as peppery yeast, cloying cinnamon, and a weak note of roasted malt.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a somewhat sweet finish.

D - I really wanted to like this, and the aroma had some promise, but it turned out to be awfully hard to drink. The spice character is overwhelming with a lot of cinnamon and clove. This somewhat stale and overdone spicing mostly covers up any pleasant yeast character that may be present, except for a hint fruit and pepper in the finish. I hate to say it, but this tastes like bad homebrew; the spicing is way overdone and it just kills every other aspect of the beer. I am not generally a big fan of spiced christmas beers, and someone who really likes that sort of thing might see this beer differently, but even considering that this beer was intended to taste like a spice cake, it is not well executed and just ends up being a cloying mess. Not recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

Had this on tap at the Leaf Resturant in Easton.

A- Brew is a turbid maroon and purple color. Completely opaque. Some bubbles you can see rising in the liquid. No head but the bartender controlled that. This has a velvet look to it.

S- I don't know if it was because of cigar smoke all around me, but I could hardly smell anything from this. Maybe some berry aroma but that's all. I had no problem smelling my beer beforehand, perhaps I'll revisit this brew and edit later, but unimpressive to say the least.

T- Flavor is much better. This has a distinct red licorice flavor which I am a fan. There is some candied sugar, and then you get ripe strawberries, and fresh cherries. Some spices thrown in for good measure. Lastly its got a warm syrup characteristic, not cloying though.

M- Medium bodied brew with low carbonation. Some warming in the body but the alcohol is masked very well.

O- Besides the lifeless nose, I did enjoy this beer a lot and would like to revisit this in bottle form perhaps? Either way it's a good beer as they usually are from Ommegang.

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

750mL Cork and Caged Bomber Poured into a Snifter

I had to try this beer, as I love Ommegang, and any Ommegang that's priced at 1.5xs the amount as a normal bomber ... well ... demands attention.

L: Nutmeg brown with cloudy pillopwy 4-fingers head. Looks a touch reflective, and a bit thin.

S: Smells extremely sweet, with cloying citrus. Nearly smells like pine-glow or orange-glow or some such cleaning product. This is initially off-putting, but then somehow ... nostalgic.

T: Sweet up front, into a big citrusy middle, with great depth of spice and lots more sweetness behind. Fades into a lingering coriander citrus finish. Still a touch on the orange-glow cleaning product side, but still not entirely unwelcome.

F: Pretty good, touch thin, but somehow still lingers and coats nicely.

D: Not bad, but at 1.5xs the regular Ommegang price, it doesn't stand up to the other brews in the $10 range.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic pint. Deep brown/coffee-like color. 1.5 finger head that melted quickly with minimal lacing. Nice aroma hitting on a touch of orange - I didn't pick up on the other spices listed on the label. Taste: another reviewer mentioned mustiness which is spot on but unfortunately it was a negative for me. Overall this one grew on me by the time I finished but the first 8 oz were just OK-- perhaps the 10% ABV was talking down the stretch.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap over at Fiddler's

A- Pours a deep reddish color with hints of brown. Half finger cream colored head showed good retention which lasted most of the beer. Some streaks of lace on the sides of the glass in long hints.

S- Bready malt underbody comes out in the front and throughout the entire aroma in hints. Darker fruits come through in the front half of the aroma with cherries really standing out. Some light spicing comes through next with hints of nutmeg and a boatload of clove. The aroama is a little offputting to me and I don't really know why. Oh well.

T- It tastes like raisin bread in the front of the beer to me. The cherry that I smelled comes out in a hint toward the ending of the front of the beer. The clove and a light nutmeg flavor comes through in the middle with a hint of bready malt base. First time there is a hint of alcohol to this beer. The ending shows some light caramel malts with some cracked pepper in the ending with a strong plum character. Alcohol does come through in the ending with a strong heat bite in the ending.

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is lively for the beer. Raisin bread, and hints of plum, and nutmeg. Alcohol heat, caramel malts, pepper, and clove are left on the palate. Flavors were balanced overall pretty well. No off flavors were present in the beer while I was drinking it. Medium alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This beer was a little underwhelming to me. I expected a little more but it didn't come through. I thought the alcohol was good on this never becoming too overwhelming. The carbonation while lively didn't do much to offset the heavy feeling to this.

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

This review was done on 12-19-09 while BA was down.

Breaking out the winter warmers and heavy hitters on this crazy snowy day in the northeast.

APPEARANCE: Pours into a Hennepin tulip a reddish amber-brown with a sparkling, tight-bubbled head on top. It's fairly small at first and gradually shrinks to a thick collar with a bunch of patchwork foam across the surface.

SMELL: Whoa spices! Cinnamon, coriander, something really flowery, and a bunch of others I can't identify. They really smack you in the face an keep what seems to be a nice base beer from coming out. Some toffee, fruity Belgian esters, and just a hit of alcohol are really all I can get from underneath the blanket of an entire spice cabinet.

TASTE: A much more reasonable beer here with the spice now showing a bit of restraint. It's a deeper, more robust beer than the smell lets on with dark chocolates and dates and those kinds of rich tastes coming out. And the spicing is more focused on the less-desserty ones giving the beer a nice balance. The finish is high on chocolate, but the sweet spices hang on too.

MOUTHFEEL: Medium bodied but a high, spritzy carbonation eases that up nicely.

DRINKABILITY: Not bad, but for anyone that isn't tolerant of high spices, this may be a bit of a chore. Otherwise, the 10% alcohol is hidden nicely and the mouthfeel makes it quite easy to toss down.

A nice attempt and I like the base beer a lot, but it could use a bit of work. Luckily, being snowed in, I've got all day to work on this.

3.34/5  rDev -17.9%

A: solid red with orange around the edges and a brown tinge in the middle. nice heady pour which lasts for a solid 10 minutes. the only negative is that there is a TON of yeast sediment at the bottom of your glass which i am not a huge fan of.

S: whoa this is a strong smelling beer. did someone spike this with bourbon and hot sauce? after i picked myself off the floor and prepared myself to get punched in the face again, I think I detected some heavy fruit and spice.

T-fruity caramel and bourbon; mellows as it warms a little.

M-full bodied, chewy beer with a strong character. feels like cheesecake in your mouth. nice carbonation.

O-i started out not liking this stuff but as i kept drinking it i found myself appreciating the subtleties and the evolution of the flavors as the beer warmed.

3.38/5  rDev -17%

I had a full serving of this in a Duvel tulip on draft at BCTC'09.

A -The appearance of strong brewed tea, dark caramel color w/ a few fingers of rocky ecru capping

S - Medicinal notes of yeast, spiced/herbal w/ mild toast. A caramel malt note which has an accent of nuts, the phenolics win out w/ mild alcohol aroma though

M - Very dry feel w/ herbal again phenolic dry finish. Mild crisp texture w/ high relative effervescent and slight alcohol which distracts

T - Loads of strong biscuit and astringent almost star anise type acrid flavors. The taste struck me like peanut brittle without the candy edge, mild caramel from the malt. The taste gets even more dry near the finish with yeast and alcohol flavors giving more spice.

D - A strong dark Belgian that didn't win me over, might just have been the climate, but it has too much liquer effect with alcohol overdone, not one I would try again unless they sell it in bottles most likely.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Brown pour, relatively see through. White head, not a lot of lacing.

S: The spice, cinnamon, coriander, caramel malts. A bit too strong.

T: Light, typical winter warmer tasting notes. I really don't like how this whole style essentially tastes the same. I don't really like it, so read these reviews with that in your mind. Spicy, hot on the backend.

MF: Light, carbonated well. A bit tart.

O: Just another beer to remind me to not buy beers in this style anymore. It was good, and I can see why other people would like them, but I just don't.

Ommegang Adoration Ale from Brewery Ommegang