Ommegang Adoration Ale - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang Adoration AleOmmegang Adoration Ale

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: akorsak on 08-04-2009)
soxandbeer

DanielClouser

Georgia

2.28/5  rDev -44.3%

750 ml into Duvel tulip.

Picked this up at Hop City today.

Ugh.

I love Ommegang's work. I love out-there beers. I even love super-spiced beers that everyone else whines about being out of balance.

This one is just bad. Maybe I got a bad bottle, but I don't think that I'll want to shell out $13 for another try (I think that's what it was: I just bought it without even checking the price).

I didn't drainpour it but, but if I was the drainpouring type, it would be flowing through the sewers right now.

The only thing I've tasted that was anything like this was a hefeweizen I brewed before I understood the brewing process. I added mangoes to it, spiced it with too much coriander (I know, I know--that belongs in a witbier, not a hefe), and fermented too warm. AND it got a bottle infection.

Oh, but Adoration has a lot of chocolate in the flavor profile, too! No mango, of course, but they make up for it will the overabundance of other spices.

It's a little better as it warms, but it's just not a good beer. The yeast provides great flavor, as usual, but the rest of it just destroys it.

All the other reviews of this one are very good, so this makes the likelihood of a bad bottle much higher (especially considering that it tastes most like an infected homebrew). But it really tastes like this is coming from the spices.

Sorry to be a downer, but I would avoid this one and pick up Hennepin, Biere de Mars, Ommegeddon, or any of Ommegang's other spectacular brews.

10-18-2009 01:27:28 | More by DanielClouser
broker0078

2.38/5  rDev -41.8%

This was a beer that I tried right around Thanksgiving. I saw it on the menu and I got it because I really like what Ommegang does with their Belgian Ales.

The smell was a sweet cranberry Christmas smell, a good smell to get you in the mood for the holidays.

The mouthfeel was as expected with a sweeter beer. It had a sugary fruit beginning, and then alcohol just killed it. I like the high alcohol content, but it seemed like it was half of the beer's flavor.

The taste was that of sweet fruit, a little bitter from the lemon, but it was still a suprising flavor profile.

I think it is worth trying because you never know.

11-25-2011 13:16:18 | More by broker0078

emanuelferritis

02-18-2012 17:17:09 | More by emanuelferritis
maximum12

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

Picked up a bottle of this at a small, underrated bottle shop in South St. Paul, Petschen's. If you're ever in the neighborhood, check it out, they sometimes have some nice gems in dark corners.

Pours a stirred, muddy reddish-brown. Smell is stifling, locked-in-a-spice-closet strong, mixed with sugared candy.

Adoration just comes on too strong for my taste. The spices, instead of being polite & complementary to the beer, come fishtailing out of the snifter at high speed. I'm sure all the spices on the label are well represented, but holy man, my mouth is overwhelmed. Not only that, I can feel the beginnings of heartburn coming on after only a few sips. There's a Belgian sweetness to it that adds to the chaos & instead of taming it, just piles on the difficulty I'm going to have finishing this.

Extreme winter warmer? This is it. I don't really want to pan this brew, because if you love spices in your beer, you're going to love Adoration. But it's too much for me, way, way too much.

01-17-2010 02:26:45 | More by maximum12
bluesplit63

Connecticut

01-23-2012 23:59:14 | More by bluesplit63
RickS95

Indiana

2.58/5  rDev -36.9%

It's a deep, rich brown, with some lighter red hues thrown in for good measure. The head is a finger of light, off-brown bubbles. Retention is about 90 seconds and then it's gone quickly, save a light ring around the edges.

Honestly, I'm not sure I smelled anything. There's a bit of malt, possibly some toffee, but none of the ingredients listed on the bottle came through.

The taste is similar to the smell, there's not much too it. Either that, or there's so much going on I couldn't pin point anything. All I could pick up was a bit of malt and a lot of alcohol, though well into the finish there was a chocolatey sensation.

This is a strong beer. It's 10% ABV and it feels every bit of it. Definitely a beer to sip, as anything more feels like you're knocking back a shot of something. Slightly fruity and then some spiciness before nothing but heat to finish.

I like a lot of the beers from Ommegang, but not this one. It's simply too strong for my liking. I don't mind 10% ABV, I'd just like it hidden a bit better. More hops and/or more sweetness would be appreciated.

01-21-2012 04:42:43 | More by RickS95
weatherdog

2.73/5  rDev -33.3%

75 cL bottle poured in to an Ommegang flute

It pours a murky burn orange color with a 2 finger head that quickly dies down

I'm picking up a lot of burnt sugar/brown sugar, Belgian yeast and a little bit of orange peel. It isn't very exciting but not too offensive.

The first thing I taste are the classic dark ripe fruits of a BSDA. Then this citrus flavor comes in and starts to clash with it. The spices used in the brewing process are once again clashing with the spice flavors from the yeast. To top it off the 10% alcohol is present on the backside and a bit too much. This is kind of a case of too many cooks in the kitchen. It is a bit of a hot mess.

This carbonation actually does a decent job of scrubbing the taste out after the sip which in this case is a good thing. The alcohol presence is hurting drinkability though. I've had many other 10% BDSA that drink much better.

I like the concept of a Belgian winter warmer but the execution came off with just to many things going on. There are clashing flavors all over the place and it leaves me dissatisfied and that is a first by a beer from this usually amazing brewery.

01-05-2010 08:48:10 | More by weatherdog
bluejacket74

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. Served in a chalice, the beer pours a ruby red/brown color with about an inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both good. Aroma is sweet, the brew smells like dark fruit, coriander, orange peel, and some bready malt. Unfortunately, the taste isn't sweet like the aroma. There's a bitter and slightly metallic flavor that I notice more than anything else, although it's not too overpowering. Orange peel, dark fruit, and spice flavors are also noticable. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit creamy and is well carbonated. Drinkability isn't good, but would be better if Iiked the taste of this beer. It was hard enough for me to finish the bottle. For whatever reason I just didn't care for the taste of this brew.

01-09-2011 00:22:16 | More by bluejacket74
CA_Infidel2o9

2.98/5  rDev -27.1%

Poured from a bomber to a Tulip

A- merky copper, 1/2" quickly fading off white head

S- sour, grapes, apple cider, bubblegum, typical winter spices, pumpkin ale

T- sweet soured grapes, apple cider, wine, medicine, spices, ginger bread, alcohol, pumpkin ale

M- medium body, crisp carbonation, alcohol heat

O- my first ommegang and i must say its barely tolerable. It's like someone took a bunch of grapes and apples, put them in a jar until they rotted, and poured it into my tulip. Intensely sweet & sour grapes/apples dominate everything, with holiday spices and bubblegum yeast playing the supporting role. I sit here with half a bomber left and continue to tell myself "it'll get better, let it warm a bit." I'll try my hardest not to drain pour this, but i can't guarantee anything...

12-11-2012 00:15:59 | More by CA_Infidel2o9