Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness) - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness)Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Scottish Ale |  6.60% ABV

Beer added by: akorsak on 08-05-2009

The Belgian-Scotch brewing connection dates to WWI, when thousands of Scotsmen spent years in Belgium. To satisfy the new customers, Belgian brewers learned to brew lighter "Scotch" style ales. This fine Ommegang ale uses heather tips and a wee bit of smoked malt to bring the taste and aroma of Scotland to the forefront. "Malty, full body, dark, slightly smoky, with heather notes. Flavorful and aromatic, with a gentle complexity and easy-going finish."
Ratings: 241 | Reviews: 170
2.59/5  rDev -32%

This bottle shared by Keffa if I remember correctly. Thanks for this beer, I'd never even noticed it before!

Dark brandy color with an off-white, almost cinnamon colored head. Excellent head retention.

Smelled a bit saison-y... house yeast maybe? Brown sugar notes. Very light aroma, but a tad rough around the edges. I wasn't really picking up on anything that suggested that this was a Scottish Ale.

Malty but nothing too heavy or forward. I'd really prefer to taste strong malt and some peatiness in a proper Scottish Ale. Heather tips? Not getting it. Nothing remotely smokey either imo.

What is noticeable in the flavor? Ohh yeah, more of that Belgian yeast that has no place in a Scottish Ale. Almost sour at times, slight yeasty spice (some clove and coriander).

Overall not really impressed here. Luckily Ommegang makes some other brews actually worth spending some time on.

2.66/5  rDev -30.2%

Aromas are largely dominated by the Belgian aspects: strong banana/clove yeast esters right up front. Nothing else is substantial.

I did not expect this at all. This baby is all Belgian. If you just handed this to me I would guess Belgian Dubbel. Really has the Belgian aspects right up front just like in the nose; strong banana and clove, really dominates and considering I expected malt because this is a "Scottish" I am very dissapointed. Really cannot detect and substantial maltiness or hoppiness either. Considering the price tag this was a poor investment. Mouthfeel lingers; fairly sticky and sweet. I am really not enjoying this if you couldnt already tell. Wish it finished smooth like a Scottish ale normally does. I am done with this review. Not a winner in my opinion considering how quality Ommegang usually is with their beers. Should be classified as a Belgian beer because that is all I get out of this.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

Review adapted from notes taken 1/9/11

Appearance: Brownish amber color with a fluffy head to start that fades to some lacing

Smell: Smells bizarre but kind of intriguing - some sweetness, some smoke, some Belgian yeast in the background

Taste: Quickly earned the name "Cup O Krap," but it got slightly better as it warmed - kind of tastes like a Scotch ale, with the smoked malts - from what I know about heather tips, I don't think it adds much to the beer - some hard water, unpleasantly dry - the Belgian yeast just takes this mediocrity and makes it worse - the yeast funk really clashes with all of the flavors until this approaches room temperature and becomes more tolerable

Mouthfeel: Smooth and well-carbonated, but a bit too dry

Overall: Not for me, but I guess I could see how someone could like it (based on the other BA reviews I've read)

I really had issues with the Belgian yeast working with the other flavors. I know this style has an interesting history, but I'd prefer if it stayed in my history... If this gets released again, I probably will avoid it.

2.78/5  rDev -27%

If I did not know what style this was I could not have told you this was a Scottish Ale. Seriolusly?

A: Poured a ruddy brownish amber color with ok carbonations and a small dirty white head

S: Hints of caramel and thats about it. Faint.

T: Some smoke, wood, roasted malt, caramel but just not really exciting and plain. A murky mess of lackluster flavors.

M: Simplele, sticky and just not really fun to drink

D: Pass

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

750 mL bottle pours a clear, light garnet hue with an airy tan head. Nice retention and lacing.

Nose is not really all that assertive. Some medium fruits are there along with a light dusting of malts and peat. Pretty sweet smelling, I would like to see a bolder, more robust and smoky aroma.

Little bit of smoke comes out in the taste. Fruitiness is prevalent, strawberries for the most part. Malts are sweet, almost too much so. I dont really like the yeast/malt interplay on this beer. I imagine the taste being akin to throwing some strawberry cake on the backyard bbq, just doesnt seem like a good idea, right? Ommegang is very hit or miss for me.

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark, orangey eggplant color. Big sticky head leaves big, sticky lace splashes. Good retention while it lasted...

Belgian-ish dark fruity malt and pumpernickel - like a whole wheat Fig Newton. There's an unfamiliar herbal character which I'm guessing is the the heather tips. No smoke detected.

Taste is a big letdown. Subtle dark fruit and wheat bread lacks any punch and leaves me wanting more in the flavor department. Again, no smoke. Mouthfeel is fairly creamy and expansive but makes the flavorless profile of this beer seem that much more vacant.

My girlfriend didn't finish her glass and I got through half of mine before it followed hers down the drain. Not bad per se, just not intriguing enough for a sit down and focus beer.

2.95/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance – This is brown with orangish highlights around the edges and a soft, creamy, modest head.

Smell – There is a touch of scotch to this nose along with some wood and a hint of smokiness. I get some fruits, maybe mashed prunes, and a big raw sugar aroma. This is a sweet one.

Taste – The smoke is a bit bigger at the taste. It’s not overpowering but if you don’t like smoky beer don’t buy this. The sugar turns to candy and somehow there’s a zing of alcohol.

Mouthfeel – This doesn’t rate medium-bodied and is a bit on the watery side.

Drinkability – I love this brewery but am unsure as to what they were trying to accomplish here. Is this supposed to be a light, easy-drinking Scottish Ale? Then how about smoothing things out and lose the smoke. This isn’t a bad beer, just confusing.

2.99/5  rDev -21.5%

What an odd thing from an otherwise excellent brewery: a Scottish ale with no characteristics of a Scottish ale. It's a light-bodied, ruby-hued ale with a confused aroma of Hefeweizen bananas and Saisonish yeast, and the taste of a decent Belgian-style ale without the density or the fizz. There's not a hint of smoke, no hefty maltish tones, no earthy taste... it's a Scottish ale in label only. Otherwise, it's a decent beer: not very dry, not very bitter, not a huge commitment to any one particular style. Drink and enjoy once; just don't buy it expecting a Scottish ale.

3.02/5  rDev -20.7%

750 ml corked and caged bottle. $10.49 from Beer Run. Bottled 8/2/10, Best by 8/2012.

Appearance: Muddy reddish brown with a fluffy whitish head and attractive lacing. I'm assuming the haze will clear as it warms.

Smell: Smoke, earth, caramel, spice, herbs, maybe leather. There's a distinctive smell of Belgian yeast, but not a lot of fruity esters. Some phenolics-- a little clove maybe. Kinda weird.

Taste: Pretty smoky and caramel malty. Pretty pronounced bandaid flavor that obviously is not good. I havent had heather before knowingly-- there is a bitter spiciness to this beer that I blame on the heather. Not very good.

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice actually. Soft, nicely carbed. Slick and slightly sticky.

Overall: Not too great. Weird flavors, bad combinations.

3.03/5  rDev -20.5%

Seriously, WTF?

Wanted To Love Her

Another in my current Scotch Ale replacement journey. (Read my review of Scotty Karate for the whole story)

Short version - this ain't it. :) Dear Ommegang, stick to thinking that "Quad" means blending cherries with Dubbels.

Long version -

Poured from the 750ml cold into a goblet. They say on the bottle to pour slowly to not disturb the yeast sediment but vigorously enough to enjoy the luxiurious head and bouquet. Okay. First - this is something the fake American Belgian brewers never understand - some folks like the yeast sediment. 2nd - what luxurious head? I poured a few glasses at different 'vigorousness levels' and got a minimal froth that dissipates quickly. Round, wide bubbles.

This will be the third Ommegang I don't dig at all. A hat trick I'll be hard-pressed to look beyond. I don't know why the American Belgians (Ommegang, Celis et al) don't seem to be able to come remotely close to most good homebrews I've had that try to emulate or clone Belgian style brewing. Maybe that's the point. Maybe they're not even trying to do that. Maybe instead they're trying to apply that American Craft Beer style to a Belgian recipe? I don't know. I do know that this isn't really a Belgian style Ale. Unibroue is able to pull it off splendidly so it's not some Belgium-only mystery at work.

Anyway - nice bottle, great name, great label. Throw Robert Burns on there and bring us Scotsman wannabes to tears. Nice history lesson about the Scots in Belgium during WWI needing their Scotch Ale. (why does this seem more fable than truth, hmm?) It seemed like a dream come true to me. Scottish and Belgian and Irish descent, love my Belgians and my Scotch Ales. Marriage made in heaven, right? Sadly no.

They say on the bottle that they blend in Heather Tops and the spice level is good. Just not enough malt and toffee. I am finding it hard to get to the Scotch taste. More like you blended a thin Scotch Ale in with a Celis Grand Cru.

Maybe not a bad idea if you took a robust S.A. and blended it with a true Belgian (not that I am advocating this plan) but - they start with the typical American Phenol and Preservative taste and I can't get past that to the good stuff.

Over carbonated. Headachy for a 6.6. Bitter, mediciney finish.

All things considered - not lame, but not righteous enough to revisit.

Not a Begian Scotch Ale. More like a Scotch Ale Tinged American Belgian.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

On tap at Rustico. Poured into a tulip.

Pours near black with a thin light tan head. A bit of lacing, although not much at all. Smells like roasted malt with a bit of dark fruits. Taste brings white a bit of roasted malt with hints of coffee. Not much going on. Feel is overly dry and a bit thin. Drinkability is okay, but really not a very good example of the style in my opinion.

3.1/5  rDev -18.6%

Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness) | 750 ml. | 6.6% ABV | 2010

Brewer: Brewery Ommegang
Style: Scottish Ale
Glass: Duvel tulip

Presentation:
Standard Ommegang "O" label with some nice black watch patterning.

Appearance:
Deep marroon with an nice off-white head of about 1".

Aroma:
Various dark fruits: cherries, plums, raisins, etc. Pleasant.

Taste:
It opens up with an earthy estery flavor and lightly toasted malts. The dark fruits follow, though unlike a dubbel, they are bitter and lean. The finish is zesty, almost lemon-like, evidencing a residual herbal taste -- the heather it seems.

Mouthfeel:
Medium-bodied, crisp carbonation, even feel on the palate. Carbonation adds some needed sting.

Harmony:
Altogether, it's a nice brew with some interesting, though underpowered flavors. The bitter dark fruits are not quite my thing.

Would I get it again?:
No. It's a decent brew, sophisticated and subtle, but not quite to my liking because of bitter, herbal characteristics that seem out of place with the earthy, peat-like malts.

Bottled: ?
Served: October 9, 2010

Price = $8.66 at Witherspoon Wine

3.21/5  rDev -15.7%

A - nearly opaque reddish brown with minimal head, slight lacing and little retention - I am a little inclined to blame the glass for this

S - smells of Ommegang but with a darker malt profile, there are hints of heather/herbs/hops, but doesn't seem too much like a scotch ale, nor anything truly Belgian

T - mid-weight, slightly smokey malts with a distinct Belgian edge and a hint of sourness at the back end, the hops and heather peek out here and there

M - fine carbonation keeps it light on the palate

D - quite drinkable, but not enough to entice me back

All in all, I think Ommegang missed the mark on this one. It isn't convincingly Scotch Ale, nor is it a good Belgian-style beer. Not bad, though. I'm glad to have tasted it but I won't buy it again.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

A Belgian inspired Scotch Ale - Brilliant...

A - Two fingers worthy of airy ultra fluffy light tan colored head... Minimal retention gives way to a splotchy lacing and moderately thick collar... A deep rich medium brown color with some faint ruby highlights... Sparse sluggish carbonation is sporadic but can be seen throughout...

S - I get a huge whiff of apples at the outset... Everything else takes a backseat... Belgian yeast... Smoke... Peat... Some dark fruit notes... Not much in terms of sweetness though there may some very faint butterscotch notes...

T - Starts moderately sweet with notes of caramel and butterscotch... A bit of earthiness... A bit of belgian yeast... Some peat notes... Faint roasted malts... The finish is entirely a medium strength smokiness...

M - Medium bodied... An abundance of fizzy carbonation... A bit of a smokey finish... Not much complexity or sophistication...

D - A wonderful concept that in the end just doesn't add up for me... A little bit of a struggle to get down an entire bottle as I was desperately looking for a reason to upgrade my ratings... Not a beer I would neither recommend or seek out in the future... In the end the mouthfeel and the lack of melding of flavors really detract from a wonderful idea...

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%

Should give an award for the robust, long-lasting foam. It does make for a sprightly, mouth-filling brew. Dark amber in the chalice. Fair amount of malt with rich roasted flavors. Not much aroma. Burnt raisin flavors. Some hops in the mix.

I guess I'm not clear on the concept here. The Belgian yeasty flavors detract rather than add to the Scotch elements. I don't find this very exciting, but it does reveal its charms slowly. Better as it sizzles in the glass for a while, and then have another creamy slurp.

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

On tap at taco mac perimeter in Atlanta. Served in a goblet.

A - Reddish brown with a small amount of light tan foam.
Almost no lacing to speak of with a thin line of foam at the top
of the beer maintained
S - Toasted malts predominate with some hints of caramel
T - Taste is better than the smell which improved as the beer
warmed. Toasted malts again with some caramel notes
and a nice alcohol warmth on the finish
M - Thin on the mouthfeel with a nice light carbonation

Not my favorite from this brewery but still quite enjoyable

3.35/5  rDev -12.1%

Tulip from Bar on Buena

A: dark red, brown, black with a one finger foam head that is dirty white

S: sweet malt character. A sight bit of smokiness coming through. You can smell a bit of scotch coming through that adds to the sweetness. Reminds me of a double or triple Belgian with a slight amount off banana esters from the yeast.

T: fruity and bitter like a Belgian but has a smoother finish with the smoked malts. Basically a hybrid of Belgian w/ smoked malt and some scotch poured in. There is a twinge of bitterness mixing with the smoke at the end. Not a desirable aftertaste with the sourness coming through.

M: feels heavy but in the mouth from the carbonation. Typical Belgian feel

O: if you are a Belgian and sour beer fan this is a beer for you. Too many different taste profiles going on to be good.

3.38/5  rDev -11.3%

Served in a tulip glass, maybe not the most appropriate glass, but it looks pretty good in there. I poured fairly quickly and got a thick tan rocky head that leaves thick lacing as it fades. the beer itself is a dense dark brown with orange-red highlights when held to the light.

I found the aroma to be inviting and richly malty with a hint of that belgian character. There's something else there, that I can't place and assume is the heather. Also, I have a bit of a cold so i don't think that my sense of smell is keen right now. The flavor is very similar to the nose, a nice balance of maltiness and belgian yeast. There's a faint sourness in the finish and I didn't get any of the smoked malt that's mentioned on the label.

Mouthfeel is a little bit thick, but seems appropriate. I liked it well enough, but there's nothing special about this that makes me want to buy a second bottle.

3.39/5  rDev -11%

Live review. Poured from the corked and caged 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle that I bought for $8.99 at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio a few weeks ago into my gold rimmed Ommegang goblet. Best by 08/2012 printed on the neck of the bottle.

A Light brown short lived head over a translucent burgundy body that glows in front of direct light. Look is just alright. 3.0

S Appropriately increased sweet malt smell with a nice grainy (could it be a Belgian yeast?) sensein the background along with a gentle smoky smell too. I am intrigued by this smell. 4.0

T/M Interesting cross between a scotch ale and a rauchbier with a significant grainy sense to the taste as well. You know the grainy taste and feel is something that I have come across before from Ommegang and although sometimes very appropriate (a Belgian Dubbel, Tripel or even Quad come to mind) it does not really work in this beer. I find that I like scotch ales to be rather smooth tasting/feeling with an elevated malt sweetness. This beer certainly is interesting but I find it hard to say that it is "good" for the style. It is undoubtedly an Ommegang version of the Scotch Ale, so for that I suppose it is successful. Additionally, I find the taste to be rather muted, not a quality that I look for from this style. There very well may be too much going on here. 3.5

D I do not see trying this again but I was glad to have it tonight. Again, there is too much going on here for me to want to reach for another one. I would MUCH rather reach for a Ommegang Three Philosophers (and save the $1.50 by the way!). 2.5

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%

750ml into a tulip. Pours a rich dark copper garnet, I love beer this shade. Head is towering, dense, small bubbles slowly recedes.

Aroma of mild dark malts, little hint of the smoked variety. Mild bready yeast and a spice I guess is the heather. I don't know what heather smells like but in any case it is mild. Every measure of the aroma is mild - tilts toward Scotland rather than Belgium.

Medium bodied. Little sweetness, very little hops. The smoked malts are much more obvious than in the nose. The belgian influence is unsurprisingly in the choice of yeast. Guess I now know about heather as it trails in the aftertaste along with some burnt bitter toffee.

I wanted to like this more than I did. Ommegang would please me if they upped the ante and brewed a wee heavy :)
cheers
jd

3.41/5  rDev -10.5%

Fair brew, a bit too generic under the Ommegang umbrella but deserving kudos for the attempt at diversity.

Presentation: 750 ml caged and corked brown bottle. Label with the Ommegang "0" in golden and Scottish fabric patterns. Side notes offer a history of the style, main ingredient and intent, as well as general Ommegang background info, and serving indications. Shows packaging date (08/10/10), and best by date (08/2012). Notes Alc. by Vol. (6.6%). Served in a tulip glass.

A - Dark amber brown pour with a good 1"+ head with moderate retention but a nice surface memory and lacing.

S - Yeasty Ommegang nose, malt touch in the back, faint herbal dash in the distance.

T - Yeasty sense predominates followed by a malty range repressed by an astringent side, minimal herbal/heather memory, as it flows (well into its final stages) some caramel comes to the rescue albeit a touch too late with an almost not existent smoky touch.

M - Medium body with medium-high carbonation, quite a prickly sense, lingering bitter range punctuates a brew that offers an almost dry touch under a smooth malty memory.

D - Can I say boring? It is not bad, but it is not good either. Monochord in a bit of an uninspiring way.

Notes: Hmmm, praiseworthy as an attempt, and it is not a bad brew, but the Ommegang sense, in particular around the yeast, and the Scoth ale range do not work very well together in the end, at least for me, it feels quite a bit perfunctory. I have to admit that as the bottle progressed it gained a bit, and the range was feeling richer and more enticing but didn't quite make it past the forgettable first impression.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

Cup o' Kyndness pours a darker copper color. It's very clear, and has a strong garnet look with backlighting. It's topped with a light tan head that rises to nearly two fingers in height. It's slow to recede and leaves a moderate amount of sticky lace on the glass.

The nose is nothing short of interesting. It's a little on the weak side, but isn't bad. It kicks off with an interesting smoky, malty scent. The malts smell mostly caramel, but it's not very sweet smelling. Belgian yeast is noted. It smells alright, but seems a little at odds with the smoky scent. There's a hint of a spicy scent late. It's not bad, but doesn't add much. Alcohol is not much of a factor at all.

The flavor is about on-par with the nose. It does have a sturdy caramel malt base. It's a little sweet, but most of the sweetness is blunted by a strong smoky flavor. Belgian yeast is a little noticeable, but is also somewhat disguised. I don't mind the smoky flavor, but it doesn't seem to gel well with Belgian yeast. It's slightly herbal and leathery at the secondary level. Alcohol is virtually buried, and isn't noticeable at all. It finishes smoky.

Cup o' Kyndness has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. Carbonation is active, but isn't distracting. It needs a little more body to feel smooth, but it doesn't have a bad feel. Drinkability is somewhat average. The flavor's alright, but it grows tiresome. Finishing off an entire 750 will be a chore.

Brewery Ommegang has done a really nice job with some of its recent releases. Cup o' Kyndness is probably my least favorite of the bunch. The smoky flavor is just a little too strong, and seems a little weird playing off Belgian yeast. Just my take. The nose could use a little muscle. More body would be good. Eh. It's just alright. Worth a try? Yeah, if you're into smoky beer.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

Copper red/brown with a nice off white head.

Nose is restrained esters, cooked stone fruit, sweet carnuba wax, hints of Belgian candi sugar. and which gives way to some smoke and sweet roasted grain as it warms.

Mouthfeel is thin but fresh, crisp and well carbonated.

Flavor profile is perfect for mouthfeel. Hints of smoke, roasted grains, charred beef, that goes to a coffee smoked bitter finish.

Flavors are short in the mouth which is detracting but the finish is nice, smoked, bitter and lengthy.

3.43/5  rDev -10%

16.9 oz. An amber/orange pour, two full fingers of off white head. Larger foam to it than the usual also.

Aroma is pretty sweet, malt caramel. Some sweeter fruit as well.

Taste is like the stardard Scottish, minus the earthy peat, smoke and added estery bannana and clove of a Belgian. Get some of the heather also. Finishes slightly herbal hops, some spice.

Lightest side of medium bodied. Carbonation is a little high, but keeps the sweet stickiness down some. Drinks pretty easily, though it was extreamly difficult for me to drink.

A "Belgian" take on the style for sure. Not bad, I just didn't particularly care for it. Each component was nearly good, but the overall experience wasn't that enjoyable. You have to be ready to get something not really to style with this one. Similar to Froach Heather Ale a bit.

3.44/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Initial pour is basic brown with a touch of red or amber mixed in. The brew is not clear, but it's hard to tell if it's hazy or just really dark. The foam that rises to the top is pretty light; sort of a a stack of off-white bubbles as opposed to a foamy head. Lacing is extremely light.

Big time roasty malts on the nose and not much else. It's a pleasant sort of aroma, not overbearing but certainly not very diverse.

Taste very much mirrors the smell. Fairly sweet and malty, mostly characteristic of the style, but there isn't much of that 'peat' flavor on the back side. Nothing in the way of smoke either. The malt is typical and seems to go well with rest of the brew but it is definitely the star of the brew.

Overall I did enjoy the brew. I might have had my standards set a bit high because of the quality that I have come to expect from Ommegang. The obvious Belgian yeast in this brew was interesting but almost served as a distraction from the style. It was good, don't get me wrong, but I think I prefer the traditional Scottish ale to this one.

Ommegang Cup O Kyndnes (Cup Of Kindness) from Brewery Ommegang