Ommegang Zuur - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Flanders Oud Bruin |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: drabmuh on 06-06-2010

A beautifully made, carefully blended, and well-aged sour beer, (it is aged on cherries) made in collaboration with Brouwerij Liefmans of Belgium. Ommegang brewmaster Phil Leinhart went to the Liefmans brewery in Oudenaarde, Belgium, and worked side by side with their master blender to create a distinctive beer unlike any other. Complex, lightly malty, tart, ruby color, with just a touch of hops. (Zuur means "sour "in Dutch).
Ratings: 314 | Reviews: 211
1.33/5  rDev -65.4%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by chswimmer. Thanks Craig!

A: Murky maroon body. Pours with a half-finger of light cream head. Retention is poor, but scattered lace is left behind in the snifter. Amusingly, the cork was very short (looking like a mushroom) and it popped out spontaneously as Craig was opening the cage. It almost took his head off.

S: Malty. Brown sugar, artificial cherry (think cough syrup), light oak, and a small lactic presence. It's not super-pungent, nor does it require a lot of agitation to bring out the aromas, but it's simply lacking in presence and satisfaction.

T: Same. The flavor is mostly a sweet, tart cherry (actually, "Sweet Tart" candy came to mind), with very light sourness. Some caramel and oak. Surprisingly sweet for the style. I expected more vinegar. This isn't satisfying on any level.

M: Light-bodied, thin. High carbonation, giving a foamy, watery mouthfeel. This, and the artificial cherry, remind me of drinking Cherry Coke.

D: A unanimous disappointment at the tasting. I'm glad I didn't buy this. Sorry, Craig.

1.74/5  rDev -54.7%

A: The pour is a dark red-brown color with a medium sized off-white/khaki colored head.

S: A bit of cherry, a bit of vinegar, not really any oak. The cherry aromas are mostly artificial, in the vain of cough syrup, and quite off-putting. There isn't much intensity to the nose, but what is there isn't good.

T: Bleck, the flavor is even worse (somehow). Mildly sweet and mildly tart but nothing positive at all. Maybe some more of the fake cherries and red wine vinegar, along with a tinge of metal.

M: The body is somewhat watery and light with a very high level of carbonation.

D: This was just terrible. I want my $12 back.

1.89/5  rDev -50.8%

I am yet to negatively rate a beer, but this is my first.

Poured a medium brown color with a scent of hops.

There was a non-existing head, possibly because of lack of care at the liquor store where I purchased it.

The taste was unforgettable. Almost as if I was eating old sour patch kids. My taste buds cringed at every little sip. It was overpoweringly sour in taste.

I understand that this MAY be the style of the beer, but for me it was my first drain pour.

I will never purchase this beer again.

1.97/5  rDev -48.7%

My 1st Flanders Oud Bruin that is obviously meant to be a sour beer. I am finding that I am not into this sour booze stuff so it should not be construed as a slam against ZUUR but maybe sours.

Lemony after taste. This may be the best sour beer in history, and I know many knuckleheads come up with horse bs aroma descriptions that will say raisins, cherries, and whatever. This is fruity and a tinsy bit putrid scent in there. Taste that way too. I love Belgian brews and Ommegang is my all time favorite brewery, but I guess I am just not cut out for Ouds.

2.12/5  rDev -44.8%

Poured a gorgeous amber-red color with a nice but short lived tan head. Body glows with light due to the haziness. This smells like sour apples cherries. The yeast is sour/tart and musty/earthy. Upon first sip you pucker like a mother fucker! then as it goes down a super malty roastiness comes through. It guess it would be like sucking on a sweet tart and then chewing on a tootsie roll.

I kind of wish these 2 flavors worked better together. Its EXTREMELY intense sourness followed by mellow malt toastiness. This beer attacks my palate with each sip.

The feel is lighten than i would have expected. I am very disappointed in this. I rarely drain pour. But I could only drink about half of this.

2.37/5  rDev -38.3%

On tap at Paramount Room into a pint glass...Pours muddy brown, light tope head, poor retention...The aroma sucks completely. This is not at all what an oud bruin smells like. Its super malty, figs, dark fruits, sugar, and the finish brings only the lightest whisper of vinegar. No tartness at all...The taste is just as bad, no tart or vinegar, just a malty mess.

Do not bother drinking this beer. It is a horrible rip off a Belgian style sour. Shame on Ommegang who usually does a good job on these beers for having me waste $10 on a pint.

2.53/5  rDev -34.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle shared at a tasting thanks to chswimmer on BA.

Pours dark reddish-brown with a small off-white head.

Aroma is slightly tart cherries and slight vinegar. Not terribly much to it.

Flavor is pretty uninspiring. Not very flavorful at all, I must say. There are some cherries, oak, and red wine vinegar, but the main flavor note is weakness. I don't appreciate that in a beer.

Somewhat watery on the palate. Very slight tartness.

This beer is not very good for the style at all. We didn't finish the bottle.

2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

I wasn't going to review this because sours are NOT my thing at all, but I still got a lot from this brew so why not.

Poured a deep reddish brown color. Minimal off-white head that mostly dissipated, leaving some lacing. Aroma was...sour. Smelled like green apples to me. Also got some other fruits in the aroma as well as a bready note. I didn't really want to try it after smelling it and hearing the bartender say it was one of the most sour beers she's ever had...but I did anyway. Tasted of green apples, sour grapes, slightly sweet malts and a tad bit of yeast. A little wheaty? YIKES...this stuff IS sour. I definitely puckered when drinking it as a sample.

Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. Lip-puckering for sure. It wasn't very complex or well-balanced compared to the few other sours I've tried. Not bad, just average.

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

Hazy brown with red highlights. The head is off-white, showing decent retention.

Smells OK, a bit bland. Whole grain bread, faint acetic acid and cherries. Slightly metallic.

Tastes essentially the same as it smells. The cherry flavor is neither sweet nor sour, and there's only a hint of bacterial acidity. Slight balsamic vinegar and apple cider vinegar notes and toasted bread appear mid-palate, but the finish is oddly watery and brief, faintly metallic. The body is thin.

There's nothing particularly wrong with this beer, but it's rather bland and uninspired. Ommegang Rouge was infinitely better.

2.94/5  rDev -23.4%

750mL brown glass cork and cage.

Appearance: Pours super dark brown with some reddish hues. Off-white/tan head stands up super tall for a sour.

Nose: Vinegar, sherry, cherry skins. Nose is spot-on oud bruin/kriek.

Palate: Light bodied and thin. Cherry flash-in-the-pan acidity, some caramel and chocolate. Super quick finish on a somewhat sweet dried fruit note.

Notes: The nose is impeccable. I mean downright obscene. Outright outrageous. But the palate is too quick and too simple. I miss Liefman's.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

Bottle split with my most consistent drinking partner Andy.

Poured into my tulip the beer is dark chestnut brown with blood red edges. A huge off white head rises three fingers high before fading quickly. Spots of lace left behind. A nice cap has settled on top.

Ther aroma is pretty much tart cherries and just a touch of funk. Not much else going on. Maybe a hint of oak.

The flavor is pretty much a mirror of the nose. Tart cherries and a bit of malt. No where near as sour as I had hoped. Not real flavorful period.

Medium to light lifeless body.

Overall nothing special. Not bad just not good. Very average sour.

3.1/5  rDev -19.3%

Had on tap at Ravenous Pig in Winter Park Florida.

A: Mahogany with very little off white head and a touch of lace clinging to side of glass.

S: Balsamic Vinegar/ Sherry notes/ Hazelnut/ Wood/ Malt

T: More of the sherry notes come out on the palate with a little bit of the malt adding some sweetness with a wood accent.

MF: Fairly thin on the mouth with a moderate sour finish that ends to quickly

D: Goes down pretty easy, however, there is not enough here to intrigue me to keep drinking.

Overall:
This beer is just ok. I would probably not visit it again.

3.11/5  rDev -19%

First had: on tap at the Pour House, Westmont, NJ

This was good, but very sour (as is to be expected from the style). I doubt I could get through a whole pint of this, but once you get over the shock of the first sip, it's not that bad.

Poured a dark mahogany, with a...greenish-clear rim? A finger of frothy, off-white head. Aroma was not too strong, but there was a definite sourness going on, a tad phenolic. Big sour twang up front in the taste, sour grapes, cranberries, and apples, with bready malts and woodiness in the background. Medium mouthfeel, lip-puckering, drinkable if sour is your thing. Otherwise, you might want to sample this before committing to a full glass.

3.14/5  rDev -18.2%

Not nearly as good as I thought it'd be. Poured with a medium sized pop foamy, tan head that quickly settle out to just a bit and no lace. Color is a slightly hazy mahoganey. Aroma is nice with a caramel, malt, brett cast. Flavor loses the caramel and just barely has any sweetness to stand up to the tart, plus the tang from strong carbonation. Body is ok and carbonation may even be a tad too strong. Finish is like flavor and has medium length. Maybe good to cook with. I'll finish this 750 and that's it.

3.17/5  rDev -17.4%

Short cork looks like Toadstool from Super Mario Brothers.

A burnt umber pour yields a thin, choppy head. Thin choppy head yields a thin swirl of retention. None of the above yields any retention or beery impressiveness. Fairly clear as I decanted Zuur so I can pitch the dregs in my Flanders red.

Earthy, mild brown ale toast, steely unsweetened root beer or birch beer aroma. Sarsaparilla I guess.

Zuur is a meek Flanders. It's not bad but comparable to most Flanders the sweet isn't as sweet and the sour isn't as sour. Very mid-range.

I remember this being better at beerfest.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

Has a different kind of appearance pours orangeish brown has an off tan head, smell is sour like vinegar. Taste begins sour but then it finishes watery however as I continued drinking it it got more sour in the finish. I wasn't impressed by the taste, mouthfeel is pretty smooth, overall one I could pass on in the future

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

750ml bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint...

Pours a murky reddish brown with two fingers of light tan head with a slight pink hue...

Slightly tart with dark fruit/cherries, musty and lightly funky, not a whole lot going on...

Tart and dry. Fruity but also a bit grainy. Slightly sour dark fruits and a bit of earthy/woodiness. A somewhat unpleasant dry medicinal aftertaste lingers...

Medium bodied with decent carbonation, pretty smooth but a lingering dry weird aftertaste detracts...

Not too excited by this one, stick to the Belgians for a good sour...

3.19/5  rDev -16.9%

Poured this 750 mL brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. No date on the label. The body was ruddy light brown with a tan head. A thin cap remained and left speckles of lace.

The smell was like SweeTarts candy. Mild with a tobacco like leafy aroma. Clean.

The taste was mild but nice. Slightly puckering sour taste with adrying finish. Woody and fruity. Perhaps a nice introduction to sours but not one I would seek out again.

The mouthfeel was maybe a little under-carbonated. Somewhat thin in the mouth. Not as good as most other Ommegang brews.

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%

Served in a large wine glass. The beer is a dark brown with a nice red tint when held to the light. The head is off white and dense and stays fairly thick.

The aroma is sweet and sour, with grape, cherry and vinegar. The flavor is quite a ride. It starts off fruity and sweet, with the promised cherry flavor. Next comes an intense tartness that chases the sweetness away and pulls at the corners of your mouth. This is certainly the most sour beer that I've had.

The finish is fairly dry, the carbonation is low and the mouthfeel is light. It's a little too sour for me to call it drinkable, but it was a welcome departure from my regular brews.

3.21/5  rDev -16.4%

A new Flanders Brown from Ommegang, don't mind if I do. Poured into an Ommegang 10th anniversary goblet a dark brown, good thin cap of foam that sustains itself.

Smells less sour and vinegary than some other examples of the style. Cherry and vanilla, maybe a little woody. Pleasant aroma, but doesn't really jump out at me.

At first sip, a straight down the middle Oud Bruin with tart cherry and woodsiness. Up front that tart cherry fades quickly to a long funky finish that coats the tongue, making this a little less refreshing to me than it otherwise would have been. It's like it kinda gets caught at the back of the throat somehow. Some residual hop bitterness. Contrary to some, I actually wish this had some vinegar notes to it.

I like it, but I don't love it. To me there's something funky going on with the mouthfeel. It's as if it doesn't go down the hatch easily. Still, glad to have an example of a Flanders Brown around and available. I'm beginning to think there may be something off-kilter with my palate today. This beer deserves another go, I'll try it again and update my review accordingly.

3.23/5  rDev -15.9%

Reviewed from notes. Pours a murky brown color with a bit of a reddish tint. Light tan head sits for a bit before fading. The nose is pretty boring with some very mild fruit and oak plus a good dose of acetic acid, though not enough to take it into the nail polish realm. The flavor goes more in the acetone direction, though it's not horrible. Some light bready notes and mild cherry. Feel is fairly sour and medium bodied. Decent enough, but I wasn't a huge fan.

3.27/5  rDev -14.8%

appearance- dark dark brown with thin head that immediately and rapidly disappeared away to nothing, very murky and cloudy

Smell- slight funk or vinegar kind of sourness can be detected on the nose, slight malt and brown sugar

taste- sour tartness is very much present, slight sour cherries, very light flavor, has a nice lingering tartness to it, nothing overpowering, to me the flavors maybe just a bit bland, its not a bad flavor and not to over powering with sour or anything but just kind of a bit bland and plain in flavor,

Mouthfeel- very light and soft with moderate to light carbonation,

Drinkability- this was easy to drink as it wasnt super strong in any one aspect and infact maybe a bit thin, i was actually expecting more complexity in this beer but really just found some up front sweet and sour that kind of hollowed out on any secondary complexity, that sad not a bad beer but just nothing id be looking to have often,

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

Appearance - This is brown all right, a very dark brown with a nice brownish-white head.

Smell - The rich sourness isn't painful like some cheaper efforts of the style. The malts are nicely toasted and rightly evens out the sourness. There's a slight sweetness to this nose as well that smoothes out the bouquet.

Taste - The lemon flavor comes on bigger at the taste than it did at the nose and kinds of drowns out the nice malt base that I was getting. The sugars play well with the sourness but I was disappointed that the nice malt from the nose and those great toasty notes didn't make it through.

Mouthfeel - This just does qualify for medium-bodied with some good carbonation but a bit too sour on the tongue.

Drinkability - This beer kind of fell apart as it went on. It's a good drink but probably wouldn't buy again.

3.3/5  rDev -14.1%

First release, 2010

Pours a lovely cola with some cherry hues, some soapy tan bubbles hedging an etched surface. Smells of lactic, acetic souring with a spicy malt background and some sour cherry character. A bit of wood in the nose as well. Flavor is slightly sweet, tart and malty. A bit of a bicarbonate flavor initially, then some balsamic, cherry, bread, some almost nutty flavors. A complex flavor profile, but I don't know if I like it.... Medium bodied with a little higher carb than I'd like with a nice disappearing finish. The feel is refreshing. This beer is better than it was two years ago, but not anything I'd spend the asking price for (~$13 IIRC)

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

Opening this bottle waiting for thanksgiving dinner to be ready...
Thought the red and gold label was perfect for a thanksgiving day.

Pours with a very nice thick head that retains well over time. The nose isn't as bright as you'd expect from a sour age, especially one brewed with cherries. I want more nose but i'm left with a flat scent.

Tastes great but i feel like it tasted better when cold which isn't a great sign for most beers. It's sour with a bit of an unripe cherry back end, it finishes quickly, almost too quickly. I taste a bit of apricot which bring out a new element in terms of a sour ale.

Mouthfeel is good, nothing over the top in any direction. Definitely drinkable, almost too much for a beer described by the brewer as being a sour flemish ale. Solid, but maybe not for the price and press release verbiage.

Ommegang Zuur from Brewery Ommegang