Rare Vos (Amber Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rare Vos (Amber Ale) Alström Bros
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.25/5  rDev -69.3%

1.45/5  rDev -64.4%

I did not enjoy this beer at all.. couldn't even finish one glass. I was so excited to find it at the local gourmet foods store while vacationing, and I couldn't wait to get back to the hotel to try it. I love Belgian stong pale ales, and thought I would enjoy this (non-stong) pale, but I couldn't even stomach it.

I poured a hazy brown, with no head. Immediately I could smell corriander and bananna. The mouthfeel was flat, no carbonation whatsoever. The taste was sour. I think I must have gotten a bad batch of this stuff, as my experience of it is not consistent with other reviews. Either that, or I'm just not a fan of this style.

1.48/5  rDev -63.6%

1.63/5  rDev -60%

A - Pours a tawny amber hue with wispy white head that deposits a surprising volume of chiffon lace sheeting.

S - This smells suspicious at best, horrendous at worst; the nose seems to offer an impression of cheap jasmine fragrance atomized in an attempt to thwart rancid foot and body odor. No thanks.

T - Atop of the foul descriptors that construct the quantification of this brew's nose, just add hints of Raid bug spray and there you'll have it.

M - The feel is bad, but only because the experience of drinking this beer just feels so bad. Insert sad frog and snarky text line, that will suffice to define this brew.

D - I think this is so bad that it takes on comic (or tragic) proportions. Is this for real?

2.03/5  rDev -50.1%

Out of bottle. Not my type of beer at all. Did not match the typical Belgian flavor beer of which I am not a big fan of anyway. For me this had a charcoal, ashtray type taste that is just not a match for my palatte. Seems some folks enjoy this, so give it a try if you'd like. I have turned the page on this one.

2.03/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours out to a slightly hazy light amber with orange accents, forming a large light beige head after a vigorous pour. Head is sea-foam in consistency and has OK retention with sparse lacing. Aroma is of dry cloves, a faint whiff of bananas, apricots, a crisp toasted wheat note, Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast aromatics, and diabetic urine (seriously). Mouthfeel is spritzy, with a watery thin body. Taste begins with florid carbonation, immediately fading into a thin bitterness with nary a hint of hop flavor or aroma...more of a tannic bitterness, like oversteeped black tea. There is a toasty note in the middle, a mentionable complete lack of malt body or sugar, followed by more chemical bitterness in the watery, thin finish. The finish reminds me of chewing a Tylenol. In the aftertaste, I tend to pick up roasted barley astringency and some isopropyl alcohol. As it warms, the alcohol becomes obtrusive and drys out the mouth. Highly overrated, and nothing I would care to drink again.

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.28/5  rDev -44%

Coriander. Slippery, Bain de Soleil-in glass-like coriander. This beer smells, tastes and feels exactly like coriander-infused sun tan lotion in a bottle. Disclaimer for any who might not know—I don’t like spiced beer and I especially don’t like coriander in my beer. It tastes too much like vegetables for me. In this case, Ommegang has taken that flavor profile to a whole new level. I think I can maintain some degree of objectivity, but we’ll see…

The beer pours an orangey-gold color with a pretty good sized head by American standards and a sub-par offering on the Belgian scale. The frothy, meringue-like character was non-existent, though a layer of white film lasted forever.

The aroma was coriander. Nothing but straight, in-my-face coriander. I smelled 5 or 6 times for something else, but I could only smell coriander. That being said, coriander in beer, to me smells like the aroma conjured up when I see the image of the nicely-bronzed little girl having her bum exposed by the overly-frisky family dog. Either sun tan lotion or celery. Is there a celery-scented Hawaiian Tropic product?

The flavor is the same, but with some depth. First, the greasy, celery-ish coriander smacked me on the tongue. Then I was granted a temporary reprieve by the green apple maltiness, flowed by some more Braeburn-like sweetness, before Banana Boat and cilantro fruit regained their strangle-hold on the flavors.

I hated, HATED this beer. But, I could appreciate how so many might like it. I was also impressed by the fact that the flavor didn’t follow in lock step with the aroma, offering up some nice appley tartness that was non-existent in the aroma. I will take off points for the possible addition of Coppertone and cabbage to the kettle, but I’ll be fair enough to recognize this beer strengths too…

2.33/5  rDev -42.8%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat finger head, lasted several minutes, light lacing, rustic orange color when poured.

S: heavy strong fruit aroma, noticabl malt and yeast smell.

T/M: served cold had medium body. tasted fruity, but not in a women mindset. strong carbonation.

D: Not a big fan of this one, alcohol was well hidden, taste didn't improve with warmth.

2.45/5  rDev -39.8%

Am I the only guy who doesn't like this stuff?

The aroma was enticing -- spicy hops, a little grassy, earthiness from Belgian yeast. Cloudy amber in color with big head. But then in the flavor... my first impression was, tastes sort of like Spaghetti-os (tomato)! It has a strange vegetal flavor that is hard to place, and I find undesirable. Other than that, it is certainly earthy and spicy in flavor as one might expect, and packs a little alcohol punch.

Overall, as far as Belgian styles, there are infinite others that are miles above this example, so I cannot recommend it.

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Spices too much like a clove cigarette

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: [3.5] A slightly hazy orange color. Sports pretty big dense white head. No apparent dating on the bottle Beer is listed at 6.5% ABV.

S: [2.00] Wreaks of Beligian yeast. It is like being punched in the face with it. Very pungent. I get nothing else.

T: [2.50] Fortunately it doesn't exactly follow the nose. There is not such an overpowering whollop of Belgian yeast. It is still all I get in this beer - but it is less than the nose.

M: [3.25] The carbonation is decent the body is a bit thin.

O: [2.50] I really dislike Belgian yeast. It doesn't agree with me and this is a one note beer with just that single note. Unfortunately that means I didn't finish it.

2.54/5  rDev -37.6%

Little smell with a salt water feel.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat finger head, lasted several minutes, light lacing, brownish gold in color

S: malt and yeast smell, with a small amount fruitiness

T/M: strong carbonation. tasted slightly fruity

D: didn't care for this one as much as some others

Rare Vos (Amber Ale) from Brewery Ommegang