Rare Vos (Amber Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rare Vos (Amber Ale) Alström Bros

2.75/5  rDev -32.4%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Brewery Ommegang's Rare Vos last month for $3.15 at Boyne Country Provisions. I'm still working my way through the Ommegang beers that I picked up while I was up north and today seems like a good day to give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. Best by 11/20/13. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks looks good, I like the fox and bird having a beer together and the purple background makes it stick out a little. It poured a fairly hazy orange/amber color that took on a darker orange hue when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a little bit of patchy lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I wish the head retention was a little better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness followed by a pretty big fruit aroma, there's some nice dark fruit aromas coming through, but there's also some cherry, pear, and slight apple like aromas. Up next comes some sweet and caramel malt aromas followed by a little bit of Belgian yeast with cloves seeming to stick out the most. I thought the aroma was pretty nice, but it could have been a little more balanced.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a pretty high amount of medium sweetness followed by all those fruits that I picked up in the aroma, but it's the cherrys and pears that seems to stick out with a little bit of apple in the background. Up next comes the malts that impart a sweet and caramel malt like flavor followed by a medium amount of Belgian yeast with cloves still sticking out the most. On the finish there's pretty much no bitterness with a slight bit or tartness taking it's place with a fruity and Belgian yeast like aftertaste. This was a pretty nice tasting beer, but just like the aroma I thought it could be balanced better.

M- Pretty smooth, very crisp, prickly, clean, on the slightly thicker side of being medium bodied with a very high amount of fizzy carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but the carbonation was a little out of control.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and an above average example of the style since it's pretty much a straight forward Belgian Pale Ale, but the caramel malts add a little something extra to it and I thought it worked well with this beer. This beer had nice drinkability, it was smooth and the flavors did a good job at holding my attention, but I don't think I could drink more than one or two of these since I think the carbonation would really start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer was the fruit profile in the aroma and taste, it was a nice mixture of fruits that worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the mouthfeel, I know this style is suppose to have a higher carbonation, but I thought it was a little out of control. I think I would buy this beer again, but not very often and I think it might go well with food and it's not too over priced. I would recommend this to anyone who likes Belgian Pale Ales, even through it's not the truest to style it still has most of the key attributes that define this style. All in all I enjoyed this beer, it wasn't my favorite of the style, but I thought it was pretty nice and a little unique. Good job guys this is a solid easy drinking beer that's pretty close to a Belgian Pale Ale, i'm happy I gave this beer a try.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

An aged bottle, filled 5/17/11. Best By 5/12. Might have affected the review below.

Poured from the 12 oz. bottle into an Innis & Gunn flute.

a: Translucent amber formed a tall white head which receded to a surface foam film with a little lacing.

s: Vaguely fruity.

t: A very pleasant slight fruit-tinged malt. Carbonation adds more zing. Dark fruit becomes more prominent as it is consumed and warms. Slight ripe fruit aftertaste on an otherwise clean finish.

m: Medium, good body.

o: A highly drinkable Belgian style amber ale. Liked this better than Hennepin, though it would be interesting to try them side by side. Three Philosophers is still my favorite Ommegang of the four I have tasted so far because of its relative dark maltiness, but Rare Vos would probably be second to that, and the superior warm weather drink.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%