Rare Vos (Amber Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rare Vos (Amber Ale) Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -4.2%

Traditional belgian aroma w cloves. Pours a brilliant copper w good head. Poor head retention, probably due to the glass.
Mellow fruit and malt w balanced hop bitterness. Medium body w a clean finish. Overall a very refreshing ale. Some mild spice isn't overpowering.

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

(From Notes)

Hazy orange complextion with solid, white head and decent carbonation. Citrus, sourdough and pale malts (this is not a Belgian Dark Ale, by the way, but a Belgian Pale Ale at best). Slight hops and touch of cedar wood and caramel. Finish is silky and spicy, with ever-present hop structure. Finish is a tingly on the nose and a tad watery. A bit tough to drink just on the finish, but the beer is very enjoyable and a great value.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%

Served slightly chilled into a chalice glass.

It has a beautiful redish golden amber color with amazing towering head that sticks around forever. Very good clarity and all around great looking beer.

Aroma is sweet and funky like a good Belgian should be. There is some fruity banana and yeast character too - all very pleasant.

Flavor is mild but full of flavor and complexities that are really enjoyable. There is certainly lots of fruit, some spice, and a nice sour twang at the end.

Mouthfeel is nicely carbonated but like on body. It feels thin but for something at 6.5% it's not bad at all. Starts sweet but ends very dry. Very drinkable.

This is quite easily one of the most complex and interesting beers under 7% I've ever had. Very enjoyable from start to finish.

4.9/5  rDev +20.4%

The Ommegang Rare Vos pours into a tall pils glass a beautiful clear gold color, easily a three finger head, which which settles back to 1+ fingers after a couple of sips, and leaves a little lacing as you drink it down.

The smell is terrific! Reminiscent of the aroma you get with an Ommegang Abbey Ale; a buttery, malty aroma.

The taste is simply fantastic. It starts with delicious sweet malt and butter flavor, and finishes with spices. What a terrific combination of flavors in this brew.

The mouthfeel is also impressive ... plenty of effervescence. If you want this one give you the ultimate dry experience, do the entire pour down the side of your glass, wow!

So, if you have ever wondered to yourself, "I wonder what it would taste like if I could directly mix the flavors of Omm. Abbey Ale with Omm. Hennepin," here it is ... the buttery malt splendor of the Abbey, with the clovey spices of the Hennepin.

Outstanding!

4.93/5  rDev +21.1%

Poured with an excellent, burnt brown-colored head. Dark amber color with patchy lacing on the sides. Aromas are wicked, wicked rich in citrus, grains, hints of toffee maybe even caramel. I liked the slight sense of burnt sweetness to the drink too. Taste has a great, great sweetness to it that mixes oranges, lemons, biscuity grains, honey and even syrup. Carbonation is so well balanced that it makes the drink very refreshing but smooth at the same time. Complemented with the flavor and the aromas, this is one gosh darn awesome drink. Cheers!

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance - cloudy amber and a beautiful head. Lots of effervescence.

Smell - typical aroma of Belgian Ales; Heaven. Fruit, cloves, and grain.

Taste - lots of yeast with earthy grains and a bit of spice. The bubbles are really active in my mouth.

Mouthfeel - medium, leaving a nice coating on the tongue.

Drinkability - Another great example of a Belgian Ale from Ommegang. Many earthy flavors and tons of complex tastes. Not sure it should be labeled a dark, though.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

This is not a belgian dark ale,. Its a belgian pale. That said, its decent. Clove and cooked apples on the nose, banna on the pallate, huge amounts of bannana, with clove on the back end. Decent beer, but not great. I probaly won't be haveing it again.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

750 ml cork and caged bottle.

Appearance: Hazy orange amber with a nice fluffy white head that faded into oblivion between the kitchen and the couch. Minimal lacing. I saved myself from a quarter sized yeast floater on the second glass, but lost about an ounce of beer.

Smell: It says to serve this at 40 degrees, at which temp there is little taste or smell. As it warms though, there is some slightly spicy, fruity, yeast bread goodness.

Taste: Similar to the nose, but with surprising (to me) dryness and bitterness (not really bitter, but more than I expected). Nice spicy bready goodness. Theres some citrus too.

Mouthfeel: Its quite dry, and a little thinner than I'd like. Almost too crisp with mostly the dryness and slight bitterness in the aftertaste-- makes you reach for the glass for another sip.

Drinkability: Its good. ABV is not to high to just down this by myself, so I think I will.

This stuff is so relatively cheap, its definitely worth a try-- I think mine was 5 or 6 bucks.

3.68/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured from the bottle to a hazy orange with good carbonation and a thin head that dissipated quickly top slight lacing. Nose was a nice blend of citrus fruit, spices, bread dough and wheat. Mouth was tingly and slightly hoppy, and the taste picked up the lead of the nose. The only drawback was a slight watery finish, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of this beer.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from 750ml bottle into Tulip

A. Poured a big 3 finger head. Lots of carbonation. Nice orange/amber color. Very thin lacing.

S. Spices, clove, yeast, malt, some fruit.

T. Spices, clove, some bitterness, slight malt sweetness. A underlying sourness that I didn't detect until almost the bottom of the glass.

M. Medium bodied. Very dry. Well carbonated.

D. A drikable beer. Pretty straightforward with not much complexity. Probably a little more dry than I prefer. Overall not my favorite from Brewery Ommegang.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%

No Bottle Date

A - Pours a beautiful amber color, with a fluffy white head.

S - Smells like a Belgian. Lots of fruit and spice in the nose, with a malt backbone. Sour apple, a little bit of woodiness.

T - A very refreshing beer. The flavors are subtle. The sour and spice come at you first, but the finish is smooth and sweet. The aftertaste is a dry and sticky.

M - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation. This is not a heavy beer in any sense, but it is not too light either. This is very refreshing and a good change of pace from the DIPAs I usually drink.

D - Hell yeah. This beer is great for relaxing, almost would consider it a session ale if the abv weren't so high. It's very crisp and refreshing, with lots of good flavors, that don't come at you too strongly.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Many thanks to BeerLovinGrl for a great trade.

The color is a cloudy, coppery amber. A big, soapy, thick white head eventually dissipates and leaves some moderate lacing in patches. Carbonation is lively and some yeast sediment settles on the bottom of the bottle. This is a pretty brew.
Malt, grains and a light yeast are strong on the nose with a great complexity. No weaker are aromas of cloves and other spices with some light fruit and citrus notes.
The taste is even more complex. Hops bitterness is not dominant by any means but perfectly complimentary and always lingering behind a malt sweetness backing. Further complimenting the balance and complexity are a variety of gentle spices and a nice, light peppery bite, along with yeast, earthy grains, and citrus undertones. A nicely lingering finish is fairly dry with underlying grains and even sweetness.
This one is medium-bodied with a much creamier mouthfeel than I expected that somehow remains crisp at the same time.
This is simply a fantastic brew and one I'm thrilled to have been able to try since I can't get much Ommegang here.

4.83/5  rDev +18.7%

The bottle depicts the beer being served in a tumbler. I had one glass with the tumbler then I had the next one with the Duvel tulip. The latter being much more enjoyable.

A: amber colored beer with a slightly off white puffy head. It poured a very nice 1 inch head. The glass etching in the bottom of the tulip kept the bubbles coming. not much lacing.

S: cloves, yeasts, fruity esters,and biscuity malt

T: good n' sweet. honey, white grapes, yeasty. hint of the malts in the aftertaste then a little bitterness.

M: This beer reminds me so much of Duvel when it comes to mouhfeel. It's velvety-soft from the champagne like carbonation.

Overall, I have to be honest. I almost didn't want to buy this because of the alcohol content of only 6.5%, but since it was cheap (5.00) i couldn't pass it up. I'm glad I did because this will not be the last time I buy this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

The beer pours a light amber with a whitish head composed of small bubbles. The foam dies down a bit quickly and leaves a little lacing on the glass.

The smell is dominated by smokey cloves, a little bit of citrus rind in the background. This carries over into the taste quite well, with a nice bitter/sourness that is carried accross the tongue by an assault of carbonation. One of the best mouthfeels I have ever been lucky enough to experience. It tickles and tingles the whole way down and leaves an exquisite clovey lingering flavor.

I could drink this all the time, very impressive. I have come to expect nothing less from this wonderful brewery.

3.63/5  rDev -10.8%

Just enough flavor to not disappoint me, but I was hoping for something much more unique. This is a great brewery and I've never been disappointed by their beer, but this one didn't meet my expectations. It's medium bodied verging on light and has some fruit flavors almost like an apple, a dry apple. Not very sweet at all. Good amount of carbonation. It is really smooth and drinkable and could be a great session beer. I like this beer, I was just hoping it would be even better.

I had this one on tap at the Ommegang Brewery on 5/6/2009.

A= This ale poured a slightly hazy amber color with a creamy tan head. The head retained well and left some sticky lace on my glass.

S= Lots of sweet malt in the nose, with a very slight toastiness, and some fruity esters present as well.

T= Definitely more malt sweetness than any other flavor. The yeast prodused a spicy, mildly phenolic character. Midway this ale began to dry out a bit, with an earthy dryness coming in. Finished dry with a nice aftertaste of yeast funk.

MF= Medium bodied with a slick mouthfeel.

D= Solid Belgian amber ale here. Nothing too extraordinary, but nothing to bitch about either.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

Another beer that reminds me of autumn. Combination of a beautiful amber color (albeit hazy), and a snow-white frothy head reminds me of a McIntosh apple. This beer would probably go well with an rhubarb or apple pie, or at least food with autumn/new england flavors.

Was given a 750ml corked bottle as a gift. Poured into normal pint glass.

Smell:
Malty and earthy in a fruity way. There's a hint of clove which, for me, immediately recalls the Belgian style.

Taste:
Malt, hops, and plum...with hints of clove/tea or something leafy. I think there's something else a bit citrusy in there other than plum. Can't put my nose on it.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp (like the apple I referenced), and slightly grainy so it finishes on the dry side. Good carbonation.

Drinkability:

I do like this beer very much, but I think I like a couple other offerings from Ommegang a bit more... 3 Philosophers and Hennepin.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

A bounteous volume of creamy suds raised to the very edge of the glass, denying the bottom quarter inch of the bottle and its accompanying yeast sludge any room to fit. As result, this Rare Vos would stay vibrantly clear. The head remains fluffed high with stiff peaks and the body shines incandescently with unsullied tones of bright orange and amber.

I gave a perfect score on appearance - just looking at it makes my mouth water - and I'm tempted to do the same for aroma. This is a smell my nostrils will never tire of. It pairs whole classes of spices with entire schools of fruits and insists they hold hands. Cinnamon with apple, aniseed with orange, lemon and allspice, pepper with pear - the combinations seem endless. It's amazing the array of scents that can be derived from yeast!

The taste isn't quite as dynamic but it showcases much of the same spice/fruit pairings. In particular, I note sweet oranges and cooked red apples with traces of allspice. More bready flavours and hints of toffee emerge. The beer is certainly flavourful but leaves plenty of room on the palate if you wanted to pair this with a meal.

And I can imagine it being well suited to a wide collection of meals. It is elegant, suggestive and diverse in its flavours. It is uncharacteristically light bodied for a beer this flavourful (and one of slightly higher than average alcohol percentage.) It's probably spicy enough to stack up against grilled, fatty meats but is also elegant enough to pair alongside soups and light appetizers (I'm thinking tapas.)

Ommegang rightfully advertises their beers' ability to pair amazingly with foods. Indeed they do, I haven't had a Thanksgiving or Easter in years without one of their products at the table. But those big 750ml bottles also make nice treats unto themselves. I'll tell you from experience they suit a good book, a breezy spring night by candles, or the company of good friends just as well as any dish you can think of.

4.03/5  rDev -1%

Had this on tap at the local Taphouse. Kudos to the bartender for a great pour.

Amber in color with a nice creamy white head that had great retention.

The smell was predominantly a toasty malt with a mild fruity sweetness to it. There is a spiced finish to it.

There's a caramel malt nose and a tart finish to it. I detected a hint of orange-peel along the way but it faded quickly. There is also a mild peppery spice. This has a complex taste that changes gears rather quick.

Medium body with crisp carbonation. The tartness does leave it slightly dry and there is a little spicey bite at the end.

Very tastey and easy to drink. I wasn't eating anything with this beer, but I suspect it would pair well with quite a bit of different foods.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

This is a great Americanized version of the Belgian. I like that its an amber and has great mouthfeel. It is a full beer without the fullness in the stomach feel. This is by far one of the best American recreations of the Belgian.

The carbonation is just right, many Belgians are over carbonated, and tend to taste sharper than they should. The alcohol is masked so well that 6.5% is mind blowing for how light and refreshing the beer truly is. I must say this is was a great pickup on my part and I will buy again.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Served in a Duvel glass at my house from a 22oz cork-finished bottle.

Pours a medium amberorange color (almost copper colored), some hazecloudiness with a nice white head that leaves some lacing in the glass

The nose has three strong elements: a sweet malt, strong fruit (apple), a yeasty end

The flavor is powered byt he apple, which fades to a maltier base after a little time.

overall medium-bodied, simple and complex at the same time, easy to drink, a nice session ale

3.45/5  rDev -15.2%

My mother-in-law and father-in-law love Ommegang beers so I often buy the big bottles when they visit and then we "share" them. This is one of their favorites, and I would say the "session" beer of the bunch at this point.

It pours out an amber color with a frothy white foam. The nose is pretty unremarkable to me as it all seems to kind of blend together and leaves nothing that pulls out in front. The flavor is smooth and a nice blend of some mild malt flavors. The mouthfeel is the highlight as it is silky and smooth, like your hair after conditioner. This beer is pretty easy to drink as it has a mild attack and a clean finish. I find I am "restraining" myself because while this beer is good, there are other Belgians of various styles that I feel should be ranked ahead of it.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

A..Poured into a Chimay goblet. A nice dark amber hue with good head retention and average lace.

S..Not a fruity smell, but definitely there is fruit in the scent. Yeast is also apparent.

T..Sweet without being too sweet. Based on some previous reviews there are apparently apple and/or pear flavors though I cannot taste them. Good malt presence with a slight hop hit. A little dry by the end of the glass. A nice mellow dark ale with respect to flavor.

M..Is soft and pleasing on the palette.

D..Easy to drink and not too heavy on the ABV. I would consider this as a session beer if I had $6 to spend per bottle. Two or three bottles would make for a nice afternoon or evening.

Not the best offering from Brewery Ommegang, but certainly a pleasing, easy to drink dark(er) ale.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

A 750ml bottle shared with psycohops and brothercannon. Poured into my Ithaca shaker glass and appears a clear medium chestnut color with about a finger of dense light ecru foam. The foam leaves no lacing on the inside of my glass. Tastes and smells of ripe fall fruits such as pears and green apples, sweet caramel, a touch of spicy yeast and black peppercorns. This Belgian ale is a notch above medium in both body and carbonation and quite dry. One of the better offering of this style that I've had.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Had this on-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours a clear brownish-amber color with a one-finger tan head. The head slowly dissipates into a thin pancake on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of booze-soaked green apples and pears with hints of spices and Belgian yeast. As it warms hints of bananas sneak out.

Tastes good. Sweet malt and flavors from the Belgian yeast hit first, followed by green apples and pears. Midway through the sip hops make a brief appearance before fading into mild spice flavors with a slightly dry ending.

Mouthfeel is very nice. It's not the thickness but how smooth it is. The carbonation is grainy and gently pushes the beer down my gullet.

Drinkability is good. This is a very drinkable Belgian Dark that I could have a few of.

Overall this isn't one of the most flavorful Belgian Darks that I've had, but it is one of the easiest to drink. Definitely worth a shot.

Rare Vos (Amber Ale) from Brewery Ommegang