Rare Vos (Amber Ale) - Brewery Ommegang

Rare Vos (Amber Ale)Rare Vos (Amber Ale)

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Pale Ale |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-24-2000)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rare Vos (Amber Ale) Alström Bros
Mitchster

2.03/5  rDev -50%

Pours out to a slightly hazy light amber with orange accents, forming a large light beige head after a vigorous pour. Head is sea-foam in consistency and has OK retention with sparse lacing. Aroma is of dry cloves, a faint whiff of bananas, apricots, a crisp toasted wheat note, Wyeast Belgian Wit yeast aromatics, and diabetic urine (seriously). Mouthfeel is spritzy, with a watery thin body. Taste begins with florid carbonation, immediately fading into a thin bitterness with nary a hint of hop flavor or aroma...more of a tannic bitterness, like oversteeped black tea. There is a toasty note in the middle, a mentionable complete lack of malt body or sugar, followed by more chemical bitterness in the watery, thin finish. The finish reminds me of chewing a Tylenol. In the aftertaste, I tend to pick up roasted barley astringency and some isopropyl alcohol. As it warms, the alcohol becomes obtrusive and drys out the mouth. Highly overrated, and nothing I would care to drink again.

07-01-2003 16:19:41 | More by Mitchster

2.25/5  rDev -44.6%

08-30-2013 17:55:25 | More by AlaskanYoung
TXHops

2.28/5  rDev -43.8%

Coriander. Slippery, Bain de Soleil-in glass-like coriander. This beer smells, tastes and feels exactly like coriander-infused sun tan lotion in a bottle. Disclaimer for any who might not know—I don’t like spiced beer and I especially don’t like coriander in my beer. It tastes too much like vegetables for me. In this case, Ommegang has taken that flavor profile to a whole new level. I think I can maintain some degree of objectivity, but we’ll see…

The beer pours an orangey-gold color with a pretty good sized head by American standards and a sub-par offering on the Belgian scale. The frothy, meringue-like character was non-existent, though a layer of white film lasted forever.

The aroma was coriander. Nothing but straight, in-my-face coriander. I smelled 5 or 6 times for something else, but I could only smell coriander. That being said, coriander in beer, to me smells like the aroma conjured up when I see the image of the nicely-bronzed little girl having her bum exposed by the overly-frisky family dog. Either sun tan lotion or celery. Is there a celery-scented Hawaiian Tropic product?

The flavor is the same, but with some depth. First, the greasy, celery-ish coriander smacked me on the tongue. Then I was granted a temporary reprieve by the green apple maltiness, flowed by some more Braeburn-like sweetness, before Banana Boat and cilantro fruit regained their strangle-hold on the flavors.

I hated, HATED this beer. But, I could appreciate how so many might like it. I was also impressed by the fact that the flavor didn’t follow in lock step with the aroma, offering up some nice appley tartness that was non-existent in the aroma. I will take off points for the possible addition of Coppertone and cabbage to the kettle, but I’ll be fair enough to recognize this beer strengths too…

03-18-2003 20:17:36 | More by TXHops
e11iott

2.33/5  rDev -42.6%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat finger head, lasted several minutes, light lacing, rustic orange color when poured.

S: heavy strong fruit aroma, noticabl malt and yeast smell.

T/M: served cold had medium body. tasted fruity, but not in a women mindset. strong carbonation.

D: Not a big fan of this one, alcohol was well hidden, taste didn't improve with warmth.

01-07-2011 04:44:49 | More by e11iott
dmtaylor

Wisconsin

2.45/5  rDev -39.7%

Am I the only guy who doesn't like this stuff?

The aroma was enticing -- spicy hops, a little grassy, earthiness from Belgian yeast. Cloudy amber in color with big head. But then in the flavor... my first impression was, tastes sort of like Spaghetti-os (tomato)! It has a strange vegetal flavor that is hard to place, and I find undesirable. Other than that, it is certainly earthy and spicy in flavor as one might expect, and packs a little alcohol punch.

Overall, as far as Belgian styles, there are infinite others that are miles above this example, so I cannot recommend it.

02-08-2008 13:27:42 | More by dmtaylor

Rgalvin

01-23-2014 15:50:02 | More by Rgalvin
heavy216

2.58/5  rDev -36.5%

A: 12 oz bottle. 2 fat finger head, lasted several minutes, light lacing, brownish gold in color

S: malt and yeast smell, with a small amount fruitiness

T/M: strong carbonation. tasted slightly fruity

D: didn't care for this one as much as some others

01-09-2011 21:06:37 | More by heavy216
Naerhu

Japan

2.58/5  rDev -36.5%

Appearance: opaque brown with 1 cm tan head.
Aroma: Slightly vinous aroma. Huge malty dark bread dough aroma. Aroma makes me remember the needing dough.
Taste: Funky dry varnishy mouthfeel, that jumps in the way before I can figure out the taste. dry toffee. Huge harsh citric acid. Nutty, biscuity. No back bone or finish. If I were to write anything more, I would repeate the words "acidic" and "biscuity" over and over and over again.
Drinkability: Why bother to finish the glass, I no not why.

12-17-2003 14:32:03 | More by Naerhu
orangemoustache

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This nice looking bottle pours a dirty rusty brown. It has a thick creamy tan cap that has amazing hang time,well the center has nice hang time,the edges colapse first, leaving a pillar of head jetting out of the center of my snifter. A few large chunks of yeast are swirling around,even on a slow and gentle pour. The nose is beyond understated and smells faintly of dried rasins, bread crust and light spice mixture. Right upfront I get a tangy tartness that is not appealing to me in the least. Light maltiness never comes full circle and seems weak and underpowered. A subtle yeasty fruitness is underlying and is really the best part of this disapointing offering. Ommegang has impressed me over and over,this one just didn't do it. I will try this again, just to see if this was a fluke. A thin mouthfeel and bitter dry finish did this no favors either.

12-17-2008 03:04:30 | More by orangemoustache
silentjay

2.63/5  rDev -35.2%

im confused. The beer pours with a huge head that is big-bubbled, fluffy and almost white, which is all well and good, but the color is a clear bright copper. The bottle says amber, and its classified here as a belgian dark ale. I have had many pale ales darker than this. It would score higher as a Belgian golden ale, maybe.

aroma is of vegetables, grass, Belgian yeast (banana, coriander, yawn) and some white bread. not impressive at all.

taste is better than the aroma, but it still isnt tremendous. a bit floral and fruity (unripened banana) with some plain white bread and undercooked vegetables and a bit of a metallic sharpness.

rather light bodied with pretty low carbonation and watery on the swallow.

not quite overly offensive, but almost. vegetables, metal, and white bread are not the quite what I look for in a belgian dark ale or any beer, really. I have been unimpressed with Ommegang and Rare Vos is no different. I remember not enjoying it a while ago, but I was hoping that my palate just wasnt ready for it yet. Maybe after a couple more years I'll appreciate this brew. maybe.

09-02-2010 07:44:43 | More by silentjay
KarlosT

2.65/5  rDev -34.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I love amber ales. Perhaps its ignorance on my part, as to what constitututes a Belgium ale ... but I just do not like it when someone adds spice to a beer.

Not sure if it was clove, or allspice, or nutmeg. Could not finish this beer.

If you like the spiced beer offerings from Sam Adams (which I do not) perhaps you will like this beer.

Just wished I had read the label in more detail. Selected it based upon the high BA scores at the liquor store.

04-17-2012 22:04:06 | More by KarlosT
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

2.68/5  rDev -34%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

*On tap at The Mews, infamous for dirty tap lines.*

A: Maroon-brown with purple-like hues. Very interesting looking, paired with a peach-white head, nice lacing.

S: Incredibly amount of mustiness matched with sweet malts. Dark fruit crammed in fresh sweaty socks drying in the sunlight. Yikes.

T: Belgian yeast, funky tasting malts, sweat. An incredibly musty malt taste with fruit. Not absurdly gross, but just not pleasant.

M: It's smooth and creamy, but the taste is is overwhelmingly odd and takes away from this feature.

O/D: Looks great, feels good, smells and tastes like something's wrong. Had at The Mews, so dirty lines could have played a major role. Might have to take a shot with this beer in a bottle, can't get much worse.

05-11-2011 16:41:32 | More by mostpoetsdo
santoslhalper

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Of the 4 new brews I had tonight, this was probably the most dissapointing. This beers flavor was just about the most average tasting "belgian" style beer I've had in a long time. The flavors that were there were weak and not interesting. This left a bad aftertaste as well. Maybe I just had a bad bottle, but this was pretty damn rough.

01-25-2005 07:47:05 | More by santoslhalper
Rastacouere

Quebec (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

It pours out of a 750ml bottle, clear orange with a nicely lasting film. Very belgian aroma with a wall of doughy and bready yeast. Fruity and flowery malt (peaches, apricot, honey). It begs for a sip... which I later regret. Watery and bland palate with empty almost uniquely yeasty flavors, bready. Mouthfeel is creamy and way too airy and carbonated which almost distracts the flavors out of your mouth before it hits your tongue.

06-09-2004 04:27:33 | More by Rastacouere

06-23-2014 05:20:04 | More by Pithy756
NJpadreFan

2.78/5  rDev -31.5%

Ommegang- Rare Vos

Appearance- ruby red/ brown with a big thick head. Took several minutes until I could pour the rest of the beer into the glass.
Smell- Light fruit (grape and cherry) and a sugary candy malt.
Taste- very weak! Where the hell is the flavor?! The lightest of fruit punch mixed with malt and slight toasted hops.
Mouthfeel- watery and weak.

Overall- This was so weak I could not believe. My wife drank a bottle and couldn't believe the lack of flavor, more like the watered down flavor. Thumbs down until Ommegang bumps the flavor in this 1!

03-20-2006 20:32:38 | More by NJpadreFan