Gnomegang - Brewery Ommegang

Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato
FG: 2.9 o Plato
IBU: 19

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gnomegang Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -63.3%

1.72/5  rDev -57.9%

1.75/5  rDev -57.2%

Glad I only purchased a single of this one, a bit too hoppy for my liking which seems incongruous with the strong yeasty flavor.

1.8/5  rDev -56%

I had this at Oblivion Tap Room here in Orlando Florida and was very unimpressed with it. It poured well in a cloudy gold tint with a nice head. It smelled slightly of cloves with hints of what I thought was bananas. As soon as I tried it, it easily was one of the worst beers that I have had recently. I could not taste what was going on with it. Not balanced at all but very complex and left a sweet bitter after taste. You could taste nothing but the cloves. I could not finished it, for me it was that bad. Possibly I got a bad batch but will not take the change of ordering it again.

2.33/5  rDev -43%

Pours cloudy orange with a minimal white head.

Very sweet aroma. Smells like gingerbread with some banana, clove and bubblegum with a little funkiness.

Eww way too sweet. Starts off with some cloying sweet bread character. Banana is somewhat presence, but the clove then overpowers and it finishes sweet and clovey. Accentuates all the worst aspects of the style.

Medium bodied with adequate carbonation.

I found this completely horrible. The clove was way overdone and the sweetness provided a weird character. Had I been drinking it by myself, it probably would've ended up down the drain, but I gutted through my ~7 oz.

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

2.5/5  rDev -38.9%

2.54/5  rDev -37.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: [3.50] Pours a very cloudy pale straw color. The head has large white bubbles at 1 1/2 fingers. The bottle lists the ABV (9.5%) and a born on date (9/30/14). The date is *really* hard to read - it is black on black.

S: [2.50] Pungent, spicy, funky. Wheat-y? (is that a word thing?)

T: [2.25] Strong wheat and yeast up front. Very pronounced. I thought there was a hint of hard apple cider, in the beginning, but it was less noticeable over time.

M: [3.00] High carbonation and zing on the tongue.

O: [2.75] Wheat beers are not my thing and this is on the less desirable end of that spectrum. I just did not enjoy this beer. Don't read my review if you like wheat beers.

2.65/5  rDev -35.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Golden ale with grassy, yeasty aroma and sweet, sugary palate that coats your mouth.

Unbalanced. Too sweet. Nothing special.

The last few beers I have had from Ommegang have not met my expectations. I fear that have they have increased output they have decreased in quality.

2.93/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Ranges in color from dark yellow to orange, with about a half inch of solid, foamy head.

S - Spicy, phenolic yeast character explodes out of this beer. A pear, apple and lemon fruitiness come next. Moderate amount of alcohol, too. Tons of aroma bursting from the top of my tulip glass.

T - Very perfume-like and peppery tastes. Sugary, chalky sweetness tastes too much like a Flintstones vitamin. The aftertaste is pleasant, with a clean malty finish.

M - Again, a little chalky at first, but finishes cleaner.

O - With the high caliber of the two breweries involved, I expected more from this collaboration, but this beer really needs polishing. Also, I suggest drinking this pretty cool, as it gets much too boozy as it warms.

Gnomegang from Brewery Ommegang