Gnomegang - Brewery Ommegang

Malts: Pilsner, Carapils, Flaked Oats, flaked Red Wheat, Special B
Hops: two Saaz varieties, 3 additions
Spices: none
Sugar: yes
Yeast: Chouffe yeast in primary fermentation, Ommegang yeast in bottle conditioning
OG: 19.9 o Plato
FG: 2.9 o Plato
IBU: 19

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-10-2011)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Gnomegang Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a hazy dark straw color with a tiny fizzy head that quickly dissipates. No lacing or head at all.

Aroma is of peaches and oranges. Some yeast presence as well as alcohol.

The taste is very citrusy up front. Oranges and peaches dominate with a heavy boozy sweetness throughout. A moderate bitterness comes in at the end and lingers throughout the finish.

Overall I wasn't greatly impressed with this beer. I feel the sweetness is just too much and I was done after one glass.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Who on BA remembers the naming Gnomegang beer thread? Well, this beer's name very likely stems from it!

L- pale, hazy orange with barely noticeable small particles floating.

S- browned sugar, gingerbread, orange zest.

T- WOW - on first taste - I could not help but say "the way a Belgian beer should taste!" A complex mix of malt and fruity yeast flavors, smooth, and best of all fairly dry. Nicely balanced with a touch of bitterness. The hop presence is faint, but very appreciated. Very balanced and interesting brew. Despite the initial dryness, it finishes just a bit sticky, with distinct peach notes. Surprisingly great beer, with a typically Belgian well-hidden booze quality. Well-done!

F- Nicely carbonated. Would have loved a bone-dry finish, but very well-executed beer.

O - Great beer. I wish I had bought more than one, even though this is not a favorite style for me. This was one of the hidden-behind-the cooler-you-had-to-ask-for-it beers for some reason, and i'm very happy with this purchase.

Aroma - Pale pilsen malt aroma and slight Belgian clove spice character

Appearance - Slight cloudy pale straw yellow with plenty of residual carbonation

Taste - A little hot alcohol and a little sweet too, no hop bitterness, and a little Belgian spice. Not a lot of flavor but smooth sweetness and spice. Not bad tasting but not great either.

Notes - Not worth the $12.99 but still an interesting beer.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured into an Ommegang proprietary glass.

A: Poured about two and a half finger head. It was an moderate white head that faded leaving a thin layer on the top of the beer. The lacing looks nice. The hazy golden color is clear enough to see the layer of head on the top of the beer put not transparent enough to see clearly through.

S: I can smell yeast and a pine smell that reminds me of church pews. I can smell a slight hint of citrus.

T: I can taste a non sweet honey citrus flavor. I think the sweetness might be muted by the hops.

M: I can feel the bite of the spice and the carbonation in my mouth. The taste hangs around in my mouth after the beer is long gone. The after taste is very nice.

O: A very nice combination from two of my favorite brewers.

3.78/5  rDev -7.6%

Poured into a Chimay Chalice

Appearance: 1/4 inch head that goes quick, cloudy, bright orange/yellow in color, some sediment, moderate carbonation

Smell: light Belgian spices and apple

Taste: apple, grass, honey, light Belgian spices

Mouthfeel: slightly sweet with some funk, medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall: Super clean and drinkable. Light and funky. This one wows me more with its smoothness than its overall taste. Just complex enough to make me want more, but not one of my favorites from a very solid brewery.

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Hazy golden color, moderate white head that fades quickly leaving a coating of foam on top and a bit of lacing. Low to moderate carbonation, would like a bit more to keep the head around longer.

S - Spicy phenols, some clove, yeast, with a touch of sweet tropical fruit. Good, but a bit muted.

T - Lots of pale malt, there is a flavor of tropical fruit but it doesn't come across at sweet. Lots of spicy characteristics from the yeast which is nice and not overpowering in any way. Ends with a touch of alcohol, just as a large Belgian beer should. What it lacks in aroma it more than makes up for in taste.

M - Highly attenuated, lets the carbonation and alcohol cause a tingle on the tongue, finishing with a bit of warmth from the alcohol. Very pleasing.

O - When I saw and smelled the beer, I was slightly disappointed as I though this was a sure winner. Once I tasted it, my disappointment disappeared, it is a winner indeed. I have a feeling a bit of aging would up the carbonation slightly and make this even better.

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into tulip 11/12/11

A golden yellow with a fair bit of sediment being moved around by plenty of bubbles, big soapy head quickly falls to a thin film that hangs around but leaves no lace

S slight peppery spice, yeast, apple, pear, pineapple, papaya, some citrus, lets just say its pretty fruity any fruit I look for I seem too find, and some grassy hops, my only complaint is the booze could be a little better concealed, not sure why I pick up a little licorice as it warmed

T a little more hops then the smell but not nearly as much fruity complexity however, the booze it a little more then I like but not unreasonable considering 9.5%

M a little foamy and some heat on the way down, fairly full bodied and a mellow lingering flavor

O I think the booze could be better hidden but it's a pretty solid beer, quite fruity with a decent yeast profile

I'd like to age a bottle but I like the hoppy aspect and wouldn't want it to fade, and considering the price of the gift pack I had too buy to try this one I doubt I'll find out. Still worth a try I just wish i could buy it in singles

Gnomegang from Brewery Ommegang