Ommegang Aphrodite - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.90% ABV

(Beer added by: AmericanGothic on 07-25-2011)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by KajII:
KajII

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

[Best served in a Flute glass]

The pour was a medium cranberry with an orange hue and had a huge (3-4 finger) fluffy pink head that had great retention, lasting throughout with some good spotty foamy lacing.

The aroma was right up front with a strong funky sweet smell with some grain malts, a moderate scent of Brett yeast, and had notes of raspberry, pears and a touch of grains of paradise.

The taste was at first moderately sweet with a strong effervescence and had a nice soft note of raspberry and then finished sweetly tart and a bit acidic with a wonderful sour fruit note at the end. The flavor stuck around for quite a long while after the swallow with a strong sour fruit taste left to linger on the taste buds.

Mouthfeel was a bit light in body an a tad watery yet still dry in texture with champagne like carbonation.

Overall a nice tart and fruity brew with an almost Champagne and Strawberry like quality.

02-17-2012 21:20:44 | More by KajII

Snow81

04-30-2014 04:18:39 | More by Snow81
Hab11

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Reviewed with Three Lions from a 750ml bottle in a tulip glass 8.9 abv.
Appearance: Well the bottle makes me think of something scary from days gone by like the 20's or 50's maybe. The beer itself well..Ruby red grapefruit color. Bright white head. Really really rich color like something from the Victorian era. I like it, a lot.
Smell: Grapefruit, Passion fruit, sweet smelling but not to much. No bitterness I. The smell at all. Can't wait to taste it. Not a candy fruit smell but more just picked from the tree. Ugly fruit and Kiwi is where I end up with this.
Taste: Has a ton of it. Lots of fruit. Not as much citrus on the tongue. Ape cider, pear and nectarine come through with a bit of a Pinot noir quality. Malty not overly bitter. I find my self liking this but I'm not really sure why as usually this wouldn't be my style.
Mouthfeel: Zesty, a little more than a little bit creamy but not over the top. Sharp on the the front of the tongue but truthfully not a lot going on in the rest of the mouth.
Overall: I like this quite a bit but like I said before not normally my thing. Maybe just maybe this style is growing on me. Idk but good.

04-12-2014 21:59:16 | More by Hab11
ThreeLions

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Split with Hab11. I've had a lot of Ommegang before and have always been pleased so we'll see how this one is. I'd never even known about this one before randomly coming across it at Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge MA so I snagged it up.

A: When I picked this one up I actually didn't know anything about it really. I saw that it was fermented with Brett so it was an easy sell to me since my brother in law just recently got into Brettanomyces. Just read the bottle before pouring and was pleasantly surprised to find out that it is made with raspberry and pear juices. So excited. Poured this into my Night Shift tulip to great surprise. Amazing ruby red grapefruit perfection. Dark pink. Very fizzy. Lowish carbonation but much more so than I am used to for the style which is a good thing in my book. Was almost able to get the entire bottle into both glasses in one pour without having to wait forever for the head to die down. However, there is a half finger head that lets us know the carbonation is there.

S: I already know I'm going to like this one. Very fruity. Lots of strawberry, raspberry, cherry and cranberry with what seems like a decent amount of tartness in the nose. Very excited to try this one. Smells like cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving.

T: Wow that is quite complex. There's a LOT going on in this beer. There's probably too much going on. The appearance and the smell were stellar but the taste is somewhat lackluster. Where's the balance? It's tart but not in any way what I was expecting. It's bitter like the aforementioned cranberry sauce. This is like a beast with ten heads. I feel like I'm lost in a maze and I can't figure out which way to go. I keep going back and forth but I think I don't actually like this one. There's so much going on, lots of good stuff really, but there's no focus. What's the true point of this beer? Getting the pear now. The pear and raspberry meld interestingly but not necessarily well. Either one by themselves would have been superior. Not a bad taste, very complex, but it's a bit too much altogether.

M: Pretty good. Creamy and smooth. For an almost 9% beer this drinks very well.

Overall I"m not sure what else to say. Out of the gate this was exceptionally pleasing with appearance and aroma. Taste was quite lackluster. Too much going on and no actual direction. No balance. Mouthfeel brought it back a bit. This is an enjoyable beer to drink but I likely wouldn't ever buy another bottle of it. It was a great attempt from a great brewery but it's just too much of a kitchen sink brew. Generally I love those but this one wasn't quite a home run. Thanks a lot for the ambition. That's really what I want most out of a brewery followed by precision. This was a great attempt but never quite got to where the brewers probably meant it to be.

04-12-2014 21:56:47 | More by ThreeLions

01-20-2014 01:08:01 | More by kwjd
zeledonia

3.74/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 10 June 2011. Tasted 14 December 2013. Don't usually review beers this old, but this one's not being brewed again, to my knowledge.

Pours an interesting color, deep pinkish away from light, but looks almost clean dark amber with light behind it. Cloudy. Two finger of pinkish-white head, nice retention, solid lacing.

Smell is quite fruity, an ambiguous berry smell. Combo of raspberry, strawberry, cherry, and some other stuff. But all red berries. I find it over-sweet, like maraschino cherry juice. It could use some tartness, some balance, something different.

Taste is similar to the smell, but slightly more balanced. A little less sweet, a little more sour and tart. Still berry-ful.

Feel is the high point. Light-bodied, with excellent prickly carbonation that really brings out the best effervescence of the beer.

This is like a slightly soured, not-as-good version of one of the New Glarus fruit beers. It's super fruity, and at times I really like it, but at other times I find it overly syrupy and unbalanced.

01-12-2014 02:54:07 | More by zeledonia
CPeterson

4.3/5  rDev +15%

A - - A semi-viscous garnet hued liquid that pours to a one finger head that laces the glass with thin webs.

S - - Mild berry and funk, and a slight hint of herbs and grains.

T - - Sweet, sour, earthy, and funky. The raspberry and pear marry well to lend some acidic qualities to balance the sweetness of the juices. A hint of grain gives some depth and earthy, dry characteristics. The Brett is present but not dominating, which leaves a drying pucker and an subtly herbaceous finish.

M - - Medium Full bodied, with vigorous carbonation and a lingering pucker.

O - - Very solid product, worth the price and a repurchase. Excellent brew.

01-10-2014 04:10:23 | More by CPeterson