Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Ommegang Aphrodite - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang AphroditeOmmegang Aphrodite

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.90% ABV

Beer added by: AmericanGothic on 07-25-2011

In Greek mythology, Aphrodite rises from the foam of the waves of the sea, enchanting all who see her, and inciting thoughts of love and lust wherever she goes.

We could hardly say it more eloquently. Our Limited Edition Aphrodite Ale is ethereal, intriguing and mysterious – as the Goddess Aphrodite must have been. Aphrodite has champagne-like carbonation, much as the foam of the waves of the sea. Plus enchanting flavors with whispers of raspberry and pear, and hints of funk and tartness created by the Brett yeast. The refreshing dryness comes from the unusual combination of Ommegang and Brett yeasts, and incites feelings of love, though we don't know about lust. Grains of paradise are infused into the nectar, and when poured Aphrodite is crowned with a luxuriously shimmering rose-pink head.
1.55/5  rDev -58.7%

I get that this beer is not to my taste, and maybe someone who loves a lambic would feel differently, but I had to give it a try since Ommegang makes such great beer.

A: pink/orange/red-brown beer with a faintly pink head that starts off a finger thick and settles into a line - interesting, but not what I want to see in an ale.

S: fruity

T: ick: tart, sour, bitter raspberry and cherry

M: hard to evaluate the mouthfeel since I didn't like the taste, but it was lightly carbonated and left a sour aftertaste - like I washed down plain yogurt with orange juice.

O: not a repeater - pretty much confirms that I do not like fruity beers, sour beers, tart beers, or lambics. One of a very beers that I actually did not finish - emptied my glass and the bottle into the sink. Sorry, but this one was a stinker for me.

1.96/5  rDev -47.7%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a 1.5 inch fizzy pink head that dissipates steadily and loudly. Pours a semi-translucent red and leaves sweeping arches of lacing.

Smell: Smells bready, with a hint of funk and some raspberry. Bland. With warmth, some nice floral and woodsy aromas come out. It's nice and kind of refreshing... but do i want to drink it?

Taste: The answer is "No, I don't." Jesus, what a miss this beer is.

First sip is fruit juice and one-note dirty brett, with some mineral-y flavors and mildly puckering tartness. Bready aftertaste. Underlying hops and yeast have a bit of a cologne taste, but the dominant flavor is pear juice.

I was worried when I read the bottle that the raspberry juice and pear juice might have fully fermented out. My concern was unfounded; this tastes like a bottle of pear juice with some dirt and black pepper. I don't know what the fuck Ommegang was thinking with this.

There's more I could say, but no reason to bother. This is awful. Plus .5 points for the pepper note tasting good and the mild fresh raspberry that pops up every so often within the cologne / dirt / cheap fruit juice disaster.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Not as dry as the bottle would have you believe. Sort of teases you with tartness, but rather than going all the way it presents you with gritty dirt. Almost as bad as the taste.

Overall: Shit.

2.02/5  rDev -46.1%

bottle from the local bottle shop.

pours a ruby red with about a finger of pink head... why is my beer pink?

nose is strong raspberry with a wheat finish... not too bad, but is smells like it is going to be artificially sweetened, much like a lindemans...

taste is raspberry... strong raspberry... a bit of booze, and sweet. it actually does taste like a raspberry lindemans... or maybe a carbinated boons farms a bit... not quite to that extreme, but certainly reminds me of that. I am having a hard time drinking this. it is not good.

mouthfeels is fine, but this is kind of turning my stomach. I need to stop drinking this. It is going down the drain. man this was not good.

2.21/5  rDev -41.1%

A-opaque ruby pink in color as it pours into my ommegang chalice, fair amount of head and retention.

S-raspberry fruitiness abounds...smells a bit like raspberry soda, artificial flavoring and all...i was hoping it would have a more authentic, natural texture.

T-tart syrupy fruit with sour back end.

M-acidic. medium bodied, with sour afteraste.

O-you can't go terribly wrong with Ommegang, so i don't feel total buyer's remorse, but as a limited release this isn't something i'll miss once it's gone. in general, after this i think i give up on the fruit/vegetable beer style altogether. but hey, if you're into it...bottoms up!

2.33/5  rDev -37.9%

Has a bit of a light cranberry juice look to it. Take orange, red and brown and dump the colors into a blender, the color of this beer is what you get. The head is pinkish and fleeting, gone in no time.

Smells like raspberries and carrots. It's really a funky smell and I'm on the fence as to whether or not it works.

The taste does nothing for me. Similar to an old lambic. The raspberry flavor is there but it's tart the whole way.

There's a champagne like quality to it, particularly with the very dry, bitter finish. Really doesn't taste much like a beer; more like a wine cooler.

I really like Ommegang and maybe this is a good representation of some type of beer, but it's not for a fruit beer. This was disappointing from the second I popped the cork.

2.38/5  rDev -36.5%

Bottle bought back in Feb '12, drank in Aug '12.

A: Pours ruby red with minimal red and no retention; like carbonated cranberry juice. Slight haze.

S: I can't help but think V8 Splash. Extremely sweet berry. Really no hint of brett.

T: Bready malt supplemented with strong, sweet fruits - sweet raspberry/strawberry. Slight tartness, unsure whether it's fruit or brett. Slight bitterness, finishes dry.

M: light body, dry finish, good carbonation

I'm not sure whether I dislike this style of beer (whatever you would call this), but I feel like the juices are overdone. More emphasis on the brett/yeast with the raspberry/pear juice as a supplement may have worked better. I seriously feel like I'm drinking a V8 Splash, not a beer.

2.6/5  rDev -30.7%

Poured into a chalice at the Lazy Boy Lounge in White Plains, NY.

Appearance: A very pretty deep raspberrry color. A wispy frothy head with no large bubbles. It looks ethereal, true to its name.

Smell: Fruity, you can especially distinguish the berries with hints of nectar. Smells "sweet".

Tastes: Initially, a bit of sweetness, followed by a whole lot of tartness and funk (way too much funk)with a slight medicinal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated

Overall: Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the fruit beers, however this was especially difficult for me. The best way I can describe it is that it confused my senses. The color and smell made my brain expect one thing but the overpowering funk, tartness and carbonation just threw me off.

I love Ommegang, but wouldn't try this again.

2.7/5  rDev -28%

The tan head scrams quickly, as if it has done something wrong, and doesn't want to get caught. It leaves no trace behind. Pure brown in color, and the only characteristic distinguishing this brew from a cup of tea was the froth. Sour fruits (soured fruits?), yeast and a little burnt sugar float languid from the goblet. Tastes tangy up front with big apricots, apples and white grapes. Small amounts of spice and taffy come into play. Has a soured, vinegary aftertaste that does not suit me in any form or fashion. A few sips in and things begining to calm down, but this one still has some serious issues with balance. Medium bodied. The Aprhrodite is not a drain pour, mostly because of the price, and I really don't have any inclination to write any more in regards to this one.

2.78/5  rDev -25.9%

I'm always up for a good sour so when this beer showed up at my local beer bar I was anxious to try it. It was sour but the problem was it also had a very mediciny taste that was very off-putting.

Appearance was clear redish pink with a nice amount of fizzy carbonation.

Aroma was somewhat fruity, you could get some of the sour characteristics in the nose.

Flavor was sour but more than that was the medicine taste that I really didn't like.

I'll try this again just in case it was a bad keg but based on my first taste I would suggest avoiding this beer.

2.89/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a dark cranberry red with a very thin fast fading white head.

Nose is sweet fruit with raspberry and pear tones; hint of sour; hint of brett; mouthfeel is thin but the flavors are unique and a bit overwhelming such that mouthfeel is not of great importance here, although one's initial reaction is that the beer is out of balance. I suspect that it's the flavor profile that "fools you."

Flavors are tart raspberry and pear but very fruit juice like. Very carbonated fruit drink with only a hint of alcohol and brett/funk character - you have to search it out.

Finish is citrus tart. I applaud the effort but I fear this one is a bit of a failure. I can't see drinking it.

The flavors are just not integrated and there is just really a fruit juice/soda pop character all around.

2.93/5  rDev -21.9%

750ml, corked & caged. Poured into my Ommegang chalice.

A - hazy medium rose-colored. Looks like a blush sparkling wine, but not as clear. Minimal head, goes down quickly.

S - Raspberries. A little citrus. Some funk, but overall somewhat muted compared to some other fruit beers I've had.

T - Almost a bit watery? It kind of tasted like beery raspberry wine. I may have been having too many sours lately, but this bummed me out a bit, since some reviews indicated it had a sourness, and I'm just not tasting it. Alcohol finish.

M - a little boozier than I feel like it should seem. Very carbonated - it's like dry pink champagne.

O/D - I'll be able to finish this, but I won't seek it out again. An interesting take on a fruit beer, but comes off as more of a wine. I have tried a fair amount of fruit beers, and that's why I rated it as such, just doesn't seem to measure up to the other greats of this style.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This isn't my favorite style, but I got a good deal on this 750 mL bottle...dated 6/10/11.

A: Bright cranberry red in color...fizzy head quickly dissipates, leaving a smattering of fizzy bubbles. Looks refreshing and juicy.

S: I get all yeast funk in the nose...some mild fruit flavors...mainly pear. Some raspberry sweetness if I inhale extra deeply.

T: Not nearly as tart or sour as I was expecting/hoping. Definitely overly sweet...reminds me of a muted cranberry juice but not even as tart as that. Definitely a funky farmhouse taste that masks everything else. It's a nice funk, but there's nothing else to balance it out or complement it. Some slight warming in the chest cavity...

M: Very bubbly. Thin to medium bodied beer. Not a bad mouthfeel on this at all really. More juicy than dry at the end.

O: Well I haven't had a ton of Belgian style fruit beers, but this doesn't really even come close to the few I've had. Tons of funk here, but that's it. I don't get much of the fruit and I barely get any tartness or sourness at all. This was definitely a little dissapointing.

3.04/5  rDev -18.9%

I had somewhat high hopes for this beer, mainly because I admire the brewery. So far I've never had a letdown beer from them. This was an exception.

It poured cherry-red, with hardly any head or smell. Just fruit, and somewhat chemical at that. I trust them when they say that it's made with real fruit, it's just that I didn't get that.

The taste was bizarre. I really wanted to like it, I did. But I couldn't get through the excessive acidity, the overwhelming sourness of it. That's all I tasted. No beer, hardly any fruit, just tartness.

As a result, I can't rate it high, even though I want to. It's just a cranberry juice adulterated with water and a bit of ale, to my taste. I do regret not having an advanced enough palate to detect anything else.

It does drink easy, though - definitely can't notice the high alcohol content. I probably won't forgive myself for saying this, but to me it was a (slightly) upscale version of Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss.

Poured into a pint glass. Had at New World Tavern--Plymouth

Appearance: 1/4 inch head, high carbonation, reddish brown in color, clear

Smell: brett, yeast, and dark fruit--not the best of smells

Taste: very juicy, cherry, grape, and pear--especially at the start, hay in the middle, and slight hops at the end. It has some characteristics of a dry rose wine.

Mouthfeel: sweet and slightly funky, dry aftertaste, high carbonation, light bodied

Overall: Very different. Kinda like a cross between a rose wine and a saison..it also has elements of a less sweet Leinie's berry. I would say this is a great beer for wine drinkers, but I have had way better from Ommegang. Not a bad beer, but several of their latest releases have blown me away. This sadly is not one of them.

On-tap at Churchill's

A: The beer pours a rather interesting color: bright ruby red. There isn't much head to go with it, though.

S: A rather sweet, fruity, and sugary aroma to this. The nose borders on cloying, but I'll be kind and just call it overly sweet. Some mild straw, raspberry, and just a lot of sugar.

T: Raspberry flavor is prominent, which at least helps to break up the sweetness a bit. Fairly fruity overall with just a light grass note. Otherwise, it's just very sweet and sugary.

M: The body is medium with moderate carbonation.

O: Far too sweet and the nose wasn't all that full of raspberry.

3.11/5  rDev -17.1%

On tap at Bodega, $8.50/50 for a 10oz goblet. The beer is a cloudy pinkish red color with a light pink frothy head. The aroma is all raspberry, not so funky as I'd hoped... Maybe a little pale malt behind the raspberries. It tastes initially sweet with big raspberry character, a bit bitter aftertaste, hard for me to find the pears that I hard were there. Also very little bret funk, a bit of a disappointment there. Light carbonation, slower than expected drinking, maybe too bitter and not tart enough for my tastes.

3.15/5  rDev -16%

16oz pour into my chalice at Novare Res

A: Dark cherry, mostly opaque which I wasn't expecting. Just some wispy head sitting on the surface

S: Definitely brewed with rapsberries, that's for sure. Some yeast, sour cherry and earthy notes

T: Again, lots of raspberry. A little sweet even though there is an earthy bitterness accompanying. Over sweetening could be result of the pear. A little boozy too; bordering on medicinal. Starting to think this tastes a little like a carbonated wine cooler, but it's really not that bad

M: Light to medium bodied. Good level of carbonation. Lingering flavor is reminiscent of fruit skin

D: I enjoyed this beer at first but it became a little much towards the end. Not awful, but I won't be revisiting

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

On tap at City Beer ages ago; review from notes. Ordered a snifter for like 9 bucks before looking over to see a 750 ml bottle on the shelf for $12. Thanks a lot City Beer. Anyway the bottom line for this beer is that it’s worthless on tap because it’s bottled with brett and it needs a while to develop any bretty character. Fresh and out of a keg, this beer is sweet and basically indistinguishable from its constituent fruit juice adjuncts. With enough time, I’m guessing that the brett would devour this excess sugar and create something interesting, but it sure hasn’t happened yet.

3.21/5  rDev -14.4%

750mL (bottled 6/10/2011) into a Hennepin glass. Pours a clear ruby pink w/ a light pink head, ample carbonation.

Araom is heavy on the raspberry with a slightly vinegary smell, also a slight earthy funk. Not sure if I really like it.

Taste is raspberry-sweet w/ pale malt & yeast way in the background.

Mouthfeel is medium, balanced, dry.

Overall this is a very different beer, tough to pin down or even describe. Just unique. But I'm not sure that makes it good. I wouldn't buy another one, so there's that.

3.23/5  rDev -13.9%

Packaged 06/10/11. Tulip glass.

Pours dark dull rose with a smattering of off white head with largeish bubbles, receding to a ring with some remaining head. Rich raspberry and brett and malt, some apple, pear, and grape. Taste is some raspberry and pilsner malt, and a hint of funkiness (but not much) and spice. The malt and fruit don't quite work together for me. Finishes bone dry, too dry I think... I'd like a little more richness and sweetness. Carbonation is high, body is light. Overall, not bad champagne-like fruity sour (dry and highly carbed). Taste is a little boring, though.

3.27/5  rDev -12.8%

Had on tap and served in tulip shaped glass

Appearance – A deep ruby red color with some haziness. A light head was present upon serving which faded giving a small amount of lacing.

Smell – The fruit aroma is really potent for this brew. Strong aromas of raspberries and cherry are at the start, souring as the aroma advances; giving a smell of citrusy lemon. At the very end a bit of booziness mixes in with the sour; finishing off the aroma.

Taste – The fruit that is present in the aroma is the first to be detected. Sweet flavors of raspberry and dried fruits meet the tongue. The maltier-bready backbone of the beer then starts to develop and maximizes in the middle of the taste profile. The sweet and maltiness slowly gives way to a much drier flavor profile toward the end. As the brew warmed it’s dryness intensified at the expense of the sweet. In many ways its flavor was very on par with a moderately dry champagne.

Mouthfeel – A crisp mouthfeel with a lighter body and a bit of a higher carbonation level. Again more dry champagne like; a bit of a bite on the tongue with some soothing carbonation bubbles.

Overall – It was worth a try, but nothing I would go to on any real occasion. If looking of a beer alternative to a champange then this is it, but otherwise nothing too spectacular.

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

on tap at devils den in philly

Pours a dark cherry color with some golden hues. Light pinkish head fades to some wispy film and a few spots of lacing.

Bite of tartness in the tongue with splashes of fruit. A little sweet, but nice touches of brett funk and yeast try to balance it out.

Raspberry and tart up front, plenty of bretty qualities. Some juicy fruit sweetness from pear and a slight tropical touch. Sweeter malts creep through with touches of burnt sugar. Some alcohol warmth towards the finish.

Medium body, higher carbonation, sticky and bubbly on the tongue. This wasn't bad, but not really worth the price - also a little too sweet and boozy considering what I was hoping for.

3.28/5  rDev -12.5%

Being a limited release from a reputable brewer, I figured I'd get a few bottles, one to pop, one to sit on.

Upon popping, it wasn't as aromatic as I was hoping for, but the pour was quite nice. It has a nice rosy pour, with a pink head to match. The head hung around for quite some time, and there were some nice leggings to it. There was a sour aroma to it, very berry. The flavor was about the same, hits of sour berries and acid, with a little booze. It was tart and dry, and very carbonated. Very similar to a rose champagne.

Overall, I think I enjoyed it more than what most reviews led one, but I can say that I've had much better sours. I'm hoping that the bottle I'm sitting on ages well..

3.31/5  rDev -11.7%

Served in a tulip glass

A: pours a very pretty reddish lavender color with thick pink head that is very foamy, pours very hazy with no carbonation bubbles and a nice amount of lacing
S: nice sweet scent of berries, strawberry, raspberry, and possible underlying blueberries
T: hits the palate initially with a dryness then a slight sweetness, not nearly as intense as the scent, slides onto the tongue, it finishes with the berry sweetness sliding off the back of the palate
M: intense carbonation, dryness
O: pretty decent, would have liked to se less carbonation and a bit more of the sweetness come out in the taste, nut overall not bad

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%

750mL bomber poured into an Ommegang flute

Pours an extremely clear light mahogany with a faint pink cap that rose 2+ fingers and settled to a thin layer of bubbly foam. No discernible lacing.

I'm getting three distinct layers on the nose. A thick layer of brett, bing cherries, and a spicy, peppery note from the grains of paradise. The brett is really clean, almost lending a lemony aroma.

Cherries and raspberries come through a little cleaner on the palate. A lemony presence, which points to the brett, is dominating. Overall, a tart and sweet flavor profile that doesn't really knock my socks off. I feel like its lacking something but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

A light to medium body, very smooth with a tart, quasi-dry finish.

Overall, this was hit or miss. Above average practically across the board.

Ommegang Aphrodite from Brewery Ommegang