Ommegang Aphrodite - Brewery Ommegang

Ommegang AphroditeOmmegang Aphrodite

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.90% ABV

(Beer added by: AmericanGothic on 07-25-2011)
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Served in an Old Style shaker pint glass.

Picked this bottle up following a small tasting in the big city. It pours a hazy ruby red grapefruit juice topped by a finger of pink-tinted foam. Considering the fruit involved, I can't be too upset about the colors. The nose comprises raspberries, light Brett, light sour strawberries, light sour cherry, wheat, and a touch of lemongrass. The taste follows this plan pretty closely, with the berries coming through fairly tartly, with the Brett backing things up nicely. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a moderate carbonation and a nearly sticky finish. Overall, though I didn't love it, I did enjoy this beer. I can't say I can have very many in a short amount of time, but it is in no way really bad. A nice tart-fruit beer.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

On tap at Max's today.

The beer pours a reddish amber color with good head retention and decent lacing. The nose is fairly attractive, consisting of cherry coolaide, black tea and light wheat. The flavor profile replicates the nose, though the beer has both more sour and sweetness than I was expecting. There's something of a sweet tart finish, along with a touch of hoppy bitterness and light alcohol as well. Mouthfeel is otherwise medium bodied, with a fairly long, sweet tart finish. Alcohol is fairly well integrated into the flavor profile.

While nothing terrible, I can't say I exactly fell in love with this beer either. Pretty sure this is one I won't be ordering again.

1.98/5  rDev -47.1%

bottle from the local bottle shop.

pours a ruby red with about a finger of pink head... why is my beer pink?

nose is strong raspberry with a wheat finish... not too bad, but is smells like it is going to be artificially sweetened, much like a lindemans...

taste is raspberry... strong raspberry... a bit of booze, and sweet. it actually does taste like a raspberry lindemans... or maybe a carbinated boons farms a bit... not quite to that extreme, but certainly reminds me of that. I am having a hard time drinking this. it is not good.

mouthfeels is fine, but this is kind of turning my stomach. I need to stop drinking this. It is going down the drain. man this was not good.

3.3/5  rDev -11.8%

750mL bomber poured into an Ommegang flute

Pours an extremely clear light mahogany with a faint pink cap that rose 2+ fingers and settled to a thin layer of bubbly foam. No discernible lacing.

I'm getting three distinct layers on the nose. A thick layer of brett, bing cherries, and a spicy, peppery note from the grains of paradise. The brett is really clean, almost lending a lemony aroma.

Cherries and raspberries come through a little cleaner on the palate. A lemony presence, which points to the brett, is dominating. Overall, a tart and sweet flavor profile that doesn't really knock my socks off. I feel like its lacking something but I can't quite put my finger on what it is.

A light to medium body, very smooth with a tart, quasi-dry finish.

Overall, this was hit or miss. Above average practically across the board.

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

Poured into a New Belgium chalice. The pour leaves us with a dark red, very hazy beer, with a medium-small, tannish head. Oh! The nose is very appetizing, with plenty of tart raspberry notes, together with a deliciously acidic tartness, and nice Brett horseblanket funkiness. In fact, I just had some kimchi about an hour ago, and it reminds me of that; I never realized kimchi had a brett-like character before.

Very good flavor as well. It has a good malt character, but it is so well-attenuated that no sweetness at all comes through, which makes it quite unique. There's a hint of roastiness to the malt character as well. Bitterness is moderate, but also slightly unusual because most of the sour beers of Belgium used hops past their date. Fruitiness is a key component of the flavor, but it's not as strong as I expected. The malt, hops, and raspberry are well-balanced and highly interesting. The finish is very dry, in the dry-wine sense (not the hoppy dry sensation).

What a unique beer! I will be buying several more of these. I'd really like to see it age a year or so out.

3.68/5  rDev -1.6%

Served from tap into a Unibroue tulip. Poured ruby red with a two finger light pink head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sugar, raspberry, subtle metallic, and subtle sweet alcohol. The flavor was of sweet malt, sugar, raspberry, metallic, and subtle sweet alcohol. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a decent brew. Nothing on this one really wowed me too much. The metallic notes was a little unpleasant, but it grew on you with time. Was really not expecting to get the sweet alcohol note due to all of the sugar going on in this one, but alas, there it was. Worth trying at least once to give it your own opinion.

2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours a dark cranberry red with a very thin fast fading white head.

Nose is sweet fruit with raspberry and pear tones; hint of sour; hint of brett; mouthfeel is thin but the flavors are unique and a bit overwhelming such that mouthfeel is not of great importance here, although one's initial reaction is that the beer is out of balance. I suspect that it's the flavor profile that "fools you."

Flavors are tart raspberry and pear but very fruit juice like. Very carbonated fruit drink with only a hint of alcohol and brett/funk character - you have to search it out.

Finish is citrus tart. I applaud the effort but I fear this one is a bit of a failure. I can't see drinking it.

The flavors are just not integrated and there is just really a fruit juice/soda pop character all around.

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

75 cl

Pours a deep mostly clear brownish red with a pinkish white head about an inch and a half thick. Dissipates slowly.

Smells of fresh grassy malt grains, brett yeasts, and cherries.

Tastes tart and bretty, with some cherry sweetness and grain malt body. A mild hint of bitterness comes through in the end.

Feels moderate to full with frothy carbonation.

Pretty good unique ale, but definitely on the tart side. Has elements of Flanders ale to it. Probably not for everyone but good for what it is.

2.88/5  rDev -23%

750ml, corked & caged. Poured into my Ommegang chalice.

A - hazy medium rose-colored. Looks like a blush sparkling wine, but not as clear. Minimal head, goes down quickly.

S - Raspberries. A little citrus. Some funk, but overall somewhat muted compared to some other fruit beers I've had.

T - Almost a bit watery? It kind of tasted like beery raspberry wine. I may have been having too many sours lately, but this bummed me out a bit, since some reviews indicated it had a sourness, and I'm just not tasting it. Alcohol finish.

M - a little boozier than I feel like it should seem. Very carbonated - it's like dry pink champagne.

O/D - I'll be able to finish this, but I won't seek it out again. An interesting take on a fruit beer, but comes off as more of a wine. I have tried a fair amount of fruit beers, and that's why I rated it as such, just doesn't seem to measure up to the other greats of this style.

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

From a bottle, later in the night after stopping by their brewery.

Appearance is magenta with what seems to be a light pink bubbly head. It looks similar to a darker version of a rose champagne. The nose has cherries and some pear. While the taste has more of that, it also has a tartness to it, malts. It is a fairly sweet beer. Aphrodite is both bubbly, not then has a certain syrup texture in its` finish. I enjoyed this new one from Ommegang, an interesting fruit beer.

2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured into a chalice at the Lazy Boy Lounge in White Plains, NY.

Appearance: A very pretty deep raspberrry color. A wispy frothy head with no large bubbles. It looks ethereal, true to its name.

Smell: Fruity, you can especially distinguish the berries with hints of nectar. Smells "sweet".

Tastes: Initially, a bit of sweetness, followed by a whole lot of tartness and funk (way too much funk)with a slight medicinal aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Very highly carbonated

Overall: Honestly, I'm not a big fan of the fruit beers, however this was especially difficult for me. The best way I can describe it is that it confused my senses. The color and smell made my brain expect one thing but the overpowering funk, tartness and carbonation just threw me off.

I love Ommegang, but wouldn't try this again.

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Probably one of the redder beers I've ever seen. Much like a cherry Jolly Rancher. The head is initially quite bubbly and large, pink in color. Retention is not great and I don't notice any lacing.

S: Lots of cherries, tart, some raspberries mixed in too. Hints of brett, but not prominent. Musty.

T: A ton of berries on the taste, wow. Cherries up front, raspberries, perhaps blueberries. The same mustiness from the smell is noted, hardly any brett. Just short of syrupy. This beer has the fruity, tart taste you get from some sours, minus the typical sour characteristics, for better or worse.

MF: Light body, nicely carbonated. Taste coats the mouth as you drink.

O: Pretty good beer, was expecting it to be a little more sour, perhaps with some age. Seemed well balanced, but the drinkability is not terribly high.

Sampled on tap at Tyler's in Apex, NC.

Red and hazy with a very small head. Aroma is sour cherries. Taste is sour (a bit reminiscent of Rodenbach) with cherries and a mild sweetness. A silky mouth feel with a moderate carbonation of very fine bubbles.

I liked the sour side of this but it could be a little drier.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

A: Cloudy, deep red with a fine-bubbled pink head. Excellent lacing. One of the prettier beers I've ever seen.

S: Tart berries dominate, with wild yeast apparent.

T: True to the aroma, the delicate flavor is mostly tart berries with a surprisingly present hop bitterness at the end.

M: Very dry and effervescent. Champagne like.

O: Ommegang hasn't let me down yet. A very interesting and well-executed beer.

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

Served in a tulip glass

A: pours a very pretty reddish lavender color with thick pink head that is very foamy, pours very hazy with no carbonation bubbles and a nice amount of lacing
S: nice sweet scent of berries, strawberry, raspberry, and possible underlying blueberries
T: hits the palate initially with a dryness then a slight sweetness, not nearly as intense as the scent, slides onto the tongue, it finishes with the berry sweetness sliding off the back of the palate
M: intense carbonation, dryness
O: pretty decent, would have liked to se less carbonation and a bit more of the sweetness come out in the taste, nut overall not bad

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a light purple, cloudy, with a fine, off-white head.

Smells of raspberry with a faint hint of brett.

Taste is up-front funk with raspberry that fades into full-on raspberry/fruit notes with a dry, clean finish.

High carbonation and lighter in body. This is easy to drink and the alcohol is hidden well.

This is an interesting beer that is mostly raspberry with hints of brett funk and other fruit flavors. There is barely bitterness, but the lighter body make this refreshing and easy to drink. Not something I'd buy often but nice enough. I have a feeling the brett character would not do much to improve this beer with age....maybe though.

3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a very light auburn, with a quickly diminishing pinkish head. Head is coaxed back with some swirling, but it settles quickly with no lacing at all.

First smells upon popping the cork remind me of a Lindmann's type fruited lambic - very sweet and sugary, with only a hint of tartness. Surprisingly, there is little sweetness in the taste. Instead, I get more funk than Ommegeddon, and a pleasant bit of tartness. The fruitiness is more difficult to place. Where there were raspberries in the smell, taste is more plum like. Alcohol only makes itself known as the beer warms. In fact, it stayed hidden until my last glass, and then, there is was. A pleasant heat.

Overall, mouthfeel was a bit thin, but it did its job, especially as the beer warmed, becoming more coating and comforting. Another great sour/wild from Ommegang. I enjoyed this very much.

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle (pkg on 6/10/11, best by 06/2014) poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a deep raspberry pink/red color with two fingers of frothy pink, strawberry milk shake looking foam that fizzles away over a couple of minutes down to the surface with some lacing left on the glass.

S - Fresh raspberries spiked with a bit of booze. Really fruity and juicy, definitely raspberry, but I'm getting some kind of other fruitiness in there - strawberries, cherries maybe? Mildly tart, which I'm going to attribute almost entirely to the fruit itself.

T - Hmm, pretty good. Raspberry is the obvious first observation, although a bit wine-like, a touch of booze, pretty dry for a beer this fruity, brett induced earthiness and bitterness, no real "funk" to speak of, like the aroma tartness from the fruit only.

M - A bit on the thin side, strong carbonation that is quite fizzy on the tongue. Bretty bitterness that dries this out quite a bit. Nominally tart, quite fruity and more than a passing wine-like quality to it.

O - Well, I'm a bit torn on this one. Recently had a Blushing Monk, which was sweeter and more intensely raspberry, and I tend to benchmark all up front raspberry beers against NG Raspberry Tart (not really a fair fight, I think), but this is lacking a bit for me. I'm typically a brett beer lover, but not sure it marries that well here with the intense fruitiness. I think raspberries need a bit of sweetness to go along with them to really bring out their flavors and character. This is a case where I'd like a little less brett (even though at the moment its presence is really tempered...give it a couple of years, not sure what this could be like). I applaud the effort, and perhaps if you couldn't get your hands on the "rare/hyped" Blushing Monk, this might do the trick for you. Overall, another $15-18 raspberry beer in somewhat limited release (easy to find in MA at the moment tho) that doesn't measure up to the everyday available (in WI anyway), half the price NG Raspberry Tart...

2.2/5  rDev -41.2%

A-opaque ruby pink in color as it pours into my ommegang chalice, fair amount of head and retention.

S-raspberry fruitiness abounds...smells a bit like raspberry soda, artificial flavoring and all...i was hoping it would have a more authentic, natural texture.

T-tart syrupy fruit with sour back end.

M-acidic. medium bodied, with sour afteraste.

O-you can't go terribly wrong with Ommegang, so i don't feel total buyer's remorse, but as a limited release this isn't something i'll miss once it's gone. in general, after this i think i give up on the fruit/vegetable beer style altogether. but hey, if you're into it...bottoms up!

salud!

3.95/5  rDev +5.6%

Served into a chalice @ GingerMan NYC. A reddish pink color with a thin small eggshell head. Decent carbonation and nice lacing. Slightly hazy.

Aromas of raspberry/strawberry fruitiness. Upon re-examining you get a nice pale, bready, biscuity maltiness with some nice doughy Belgian yeast as it warms.

The tastes begin with the bready and biscuity sweet malts; couple with tart raspberries and a nice lactic finish. I wouldn't have said over ripe juicy pears initially, but I just read the beer's description and I can pick it out now that I know it is there. I really appreciate the balance here of the base beer with the added fruits and fruit juices. Not too much in either direction and the fruit additions taste real compared to many artificial tasting fruit beers in today's market.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied; finish is full but balanced/mellowed by the tart beery so it almost finished dry. Slightly sticky in the finish.

Overall this is one of the best fruit beers I have ever had; extremely well balanced with the base beer/malts/yeast and the fruits. Much less tart and fruity than the Blushing Monk I had recently. Both are great in there own way but I get much more beer in this one compared to the more juice flavors I got in that raspberry beer. Very very drinkable and definitely recommended.

750 mL bottle,

A: Pours a medium fuschia with a full frothy pink head, some lace, solid retention.

S: Big raspberry initially noticable leather and orange spice/grains of paradise, some Brett.

T: Sweet raspberry and pear juice. Fruity for sure, lightly tart. Hint of Brett in the finish, but for now the raspberry dominates. Gets quite a bit better and comes together as it warms, 1 hr later a 3.5 becomes a 4.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, spritzy at times, mild acidity.

O: It's a nice fruit beer and doesn't taste artificial thank God. A nice drink, but compare this to something like Raspberry Tart there's no comparison. At $15 I'm a little disappointed, but it'll be interesting to see where this goes when the Brett comes out.

appearance: lovely pink fruit rose color, pretty... i felt weird drinking it in the bar

smell: tropical fruit dominant, like a cocktail, but yes it did smell good.

taste: tropical fruit, pears and other tree fruit. sour presence was there but not too much

mouthfeel: medium bodied, perfect amount of carbonation

drinkability: damn, I thought this beer would have more sour aspect to it. But, I have to admit, maybe the best fruit beer I have had.

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

A - Pours with one finger of pink tinted foam on top of a hazy, amber-brown body. The head fades quickly and leaves light lace.

S - A nice, dry sour raspberry aroma with a hint of caramel malt in the background. Simple, but very nice.

T - Sweet malt and sour, lightly funky cherry compete on the palate up front. More distinct fruity character comes in the middle where it becomes apparent that it is actually raspberry rather than cherry. Things finish up with moderate sourness and a dry, fruity raspberry note with a hint of strawberry.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a moderately dry finish.

D - A nice, sour fruit beer from Ommegang. The aroma is very well executed with an appropriately high level of acidity to bring out the real character of the fruit. The flavor profile is a bit less exciting, though it has all the requisite notes of fruit and funky yeast it lacks the depth the the truly world class examples such as Cantillon possess.

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

A- Pours a reddish pink color with a thin white head. Decent carbonation, and little lacing at all. Fairly light in color, and easy to see through.

S- Raspberry and Brett. That's about it. Nothing too complicated here. Not bad.

T- Same profile as the nose. It doesn't seem as crazy as some of the Brett beers I've tried, almost a little too tame for me.

M- Full feel, and not super bitter or tart. Very easy going down. You could easily drink a couple of these in spite of the ABV.

O- On draft at the Ommegang brewery- I enjoyed this one. It would be a good beer to intro Brett to people who haven't tried it.

Arrived with a beautiful pink head that quickly disappeared leaving some streaking on the glass. Pomegranate red liquid with tiny champagne bubbled rising quickly through the raspberry and pear-scented clear beer.

Wonderfully rich fruit taste makes this a substantial challenge to those who eschew fruit beer. Sweet but not cloying, full bodied without being heavy. Dry, flavorful finish.

Overall, a rich and welcome surprise. Beats all the fruit beer I've tasted short of Blushing Monk.

Ommegang Aphrodite from Brewery Ommegang