Biere D'Hougoumont - Brewery Ommegang

Biere D'HougoumontBiere D'Hougoumont

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Bière de Garde |  7.30% ABV

Our Limited Edition Biere d’ Hougoumont is brewed with traditional French ale yeast, eight malts, French Strisselspalt hops, and aged on white oak and hard maple wooden staves. A traditional Biere De Garde style, this malty French-style farmhouse ale is brewed to be aged. The name honors the Hougoumont farmstead at the pivotal center of the Waterloo battlefield. Napoleon repeatedly failed to take the fortification, he then lost the battle and “met his Waterloo.”

(Beer added by: billab914 on 07-03-2012)

LukeK, Jul 02, 2014
1.75/5  rDev -54.4%

ajzy, Jun 10, 2013

djre4orm, Oct 04, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

twelveinches, Jun 11, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -26.3%

A-Dark orange. Not a glower. Head is a solid finger of tan creamy fluff. Leaves lacing and looks good napping atop the body.

S-Plenty going on. Yeasty but very sweet. Oaky, but not aggressive. Smells like they lubed the beer in honey before they oaked it. Very malty. Maple syrup.

T-The nose was a cool lithe artsy collage, but the flavor is far too sweet. The aging on the wooden staves is this beers only high-point. Aside from that its a cloying mixture of maple syrup, yeast and honey. Just too sweet. The flavor does morph on the palate, but I don't like the flavors.

M-Syrupy. Not enough bubbles. Sticky. Makes you chew the air to relieve the stickiness.

O/D-Not my thang. Sorry Ommegang. Sounded pretty cool, but when I am paying $11 for a 12 oz. glass (admittedly not Ommegang's fault for the tap pricing) the beer better be a banger. Shoulda known, shoulda known.

VelvetExtract, Sep 02, 2012
2.91/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours out a caramel amber with little head. Smells like sweet wort and yeast bread and caramel. Taste is overwhelmingly sweet. Sure, I pick up some floral, earthy hops, some tasty caramelized malts, etc., but the sweetness is punishing. Big vanilla and maple taste from the woods used. Mouthfeel is full, and the carbonation is rather mild. This is an alright beer, but I'd much rather have it on a cold, rainy day. Too sweet. I feel myself getting a headache already.

goochpunch, Aug 26, 2013

Mbpike, May 23, 2014

tfidler, Aug 18, 2012

Ainjyll, Jan 22, 2014

rfbenavi80, Oct 22, 2012

02/27/13 On tap at Rattle n Hum, NYC. Sweet at first then a sour finish on the first sip. Essence of orange under the nose which seems to manifest as a bitterness, ever so slight on the tongue. A touch on the heavy side. The sweet is sustained after a few tastes so sweet it is. Seems like a lot of work for a modicum of result. I'd say Napoleon didn't miss out on too much.

seedyone, Aug 31, 2014

bennettj1087, Jun 10, 2013

sbanacho, Aug 17, 2012

jbarra101, Dec 24, 2012

JoeMans, Sep 15, 2013

AlaskanYoung, Apr 28, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

Opens with a resounding Pop!

Pours amber/honey colored with a thin cream colored head. Sme floaties early on, no head retention or lacing

S: Pears, peaches & sourmash; appleskins (green) as this warms

T: Folllows the nose, a touch of honey & dryness up front. Pears & appleskins as this warms, slight boozey honey flavors, some brown sugar & passion fruit notes & some floral notes . Finishes with Golden Delicious apple sweetness, & dryness

MF: Light/medium bodied with near zero carbonation, become even thinner as this warms

I usually like ommegang, but this one is meh at best

russpowell, Jan 19, 2013
3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

Live Review. Poured from the 750 ML corked and caged bottle that I bought at Save-On in Mentor, Ohio a few weeks ago for $13.49 into my Voodoo Brewery pint glass. No observed "best by" date.
Notes: My most well known Biere de Garde going into this review is Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met, a beer that I not only love but have had many, many growlers of and inspired me to remain in contact with the brewery ever since I first had Gran Met back in 2009. So it is with that perspective that I approach this Biere de Garde from Brewery Ommegang, another favorite brewery by the way.

A Light caramel slightly hazy but translucent body under a two inch thick and creamy light brown head. Good look. 3.5

S Light to moderate malt sweetness with some barley to the nose. Little to no hops detected by me. Seems right on target for the style. Some added intrigue for some yeast smells as well. 3.5

T Light malt and grains predominate and the late taste features a nice smooth, rounded taste that I attribute to the aging on wood mentioned in the brewing process. Although pleasant and on track for the style, honestly this beer's taste is rather forgettable for me. 3.0

M Light syrupy stickiness lingers on my tongue a full minute after my last sip which is not unpleasant. Overall feel is on the thin side. Again, that is appropriate to the style (a French Farmhouse ale) but not dynamic or interesting to me. 3.0

D/O Drinkability is pretty high given the manageable ABV % and the relatively light feel. Overall this is a fair attempt at the style but not one that I can see returning to. 3.0

Notes: There are many more favorable options even within Brewery Ommegang. The great Three Philosophers, Witte and their Dubbel are some examples from the top of my mind. I really made an effort to judge this beer on its own merits but rest assured this will not be replacing Voodoo Brewery's Gran Met atop my personal Biere de Garde list.
Additional note: Voodoo Brewery used to list Gran Met as a Biere de Garde. A quick check just now reveals that it is now considered a Tripel. Oh well. I still rated this beer on its own merits.

adamette, Dec 09, 2013

zillo043068, May 18, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

I had this at Max's during the Belgian Independence celebration. Served in a tasting glass.

Appearance: The beer pours a clear amber color with a half finger of creamy off white head that fades to a thick ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Lots of herbal notes with a slight tartness. I'm also getting some honey like sweetness in the background.

Taste: I'm getting a malt sweetness right off the bat with a slightly herbal note from the yeast. I am getting the Belgian spice. Reminds me a bit of Bon Chien.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I wasn't a huge fan of this beer. I thought the finish was a bit off. I don't think I'd have another, especially given the price of a bottle.

oline73, Aug 02, 2012