Take The Black Stout - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Cooker_stp on 09-09-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Take The Black Stout Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Kelp, Nov 18, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

BeerCon5, Nov 18, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from 750 mL bottle into tulip.
A: Pours black with a thick, luxurious 2-3 inch dark mocha head with excellent retention. Nice thick lacing as well. This is one beautiful brew!
S: Roasted caramel malt, licorice, spicy Belgian yeast, with a hint of dark dried fruit and melon.
T: Dark roasted caramel malt, bitter dark chocolate, and a hint of anise. Doesn't quite live up to the aroma.
M: Medium body. Smooth, thick, and creamy with a good amount of bitterness throughout.
D: I get the negative reaction to a beer being tied to a TV show...I had a bit of that myself. But putting that aside, the beer itself is actually quite good. The appearance alone is worth the price of admission. Not a stellar brew, but certainly a solid offering from an outstanding brewery.

mwilbur, Nov 18, 2013

CesarLopes, Nov 18, 2013

allenson21, Nov 18, 2013

Shiky556, Nov 17, 2013

nasboy, Nov 17, 2013

Danimal1101, Nov 17, 2013

mikeburd1128, Nov 17, 2013
3.44/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

A-Pours black or damn close. The head is a thick, tall, brown color. Head retains excellently. Well laced too. Looks awesome.

S-Aroma has some Belgian elements but it's also a stout at its core. Bitter roastiness, burnt malts, cocoa powder. Belgian yeastiness and lighter spice with some dark fruits as well.

T-The flavor starts out with dark bitterness. Burnt coffee and charred malts. It takes a few sips to become accustomed to the flavor. After said sips, you can gather the more Belgian elements. Some black licorice, dark fruit and Belgian yeast/spices.

M-Not thick but the ABV is super high either. High bitterness. Tickling bubbles. The flavor makes this a sipper for me.

O/D-Interesting. I didn't love it but I'm happy it had elements of a dark American beer and a dark Belgian beer. Worth a pint at a bar but I'm happy I didn't go all out for a bottle. In the end I don't think it really was a big success but it has it's positives.

VelvetExtract, Nov 17, 2013
4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

In a snifter the beer was a black color with a cocoa-colored head. There was a bit of lace.

Aroma of chocolate and coffee, with some sweet fruit. I had the impression of charcoal.

The aroma translated well into the taste. Sweet chocolate, coffee. Some raisins. Still that charcoal sensation.

Very smooth, on the dry side.

Enjoyed it.

lordofthewiens, Nov 17, 2013

CrispyFL, Nov 17, 2013

ToddHolder, Nov 17, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

craigdb, Nov 17, 2013
3.89/5  rDev +6.3%

bomber poured into Highlands Brewing snifter

A - beautiful pour, mountainous khaki colored head, awesome retention, and lacing

S - mostly chocolate and coffee

T - caramel, raisins, cola, milk chocolate, coffee, licorice

M - thick and chewy, not much aftertaste

O - pretty fair beer!!!

Mojo, Nov 16, 2013

yokken, Nov 16, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this on tap at George Keeley's on the Upper West Side. It was poured into a 12oz snifter.

The appearance was jet black with a large 2 three finger tan head. The first thing I smelt was caramel malt but as the beer warmed I mostly got unsweetened chocolate. The taste was more of the same. Malt hits first followed by dark chocolate. Didn't find much of a pronounced coffee flavor or heavy roastedness.

I was expecting this beer to have a sweeter taste profile along the lines of my favorite stouts however this wasn't as much stout as it was a dark ale. Still decent but I don't know if I'd seek it out again.

WheelsPSU, Nov 16, 2013

kristougher, Nov 16, 2013
4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: bought as a bomber in full disclosure, I am a huge Game of Thrones fan, when poured, has a huge tan head with good lacing, color is black

S: only problem is that there's a "dryness" to the smell, more reminiscent of a drier belgian ale, which, to me, gives a sense of a metallic taste, I'm not picking up, on odor, the more typical burnt coffee, slight chocolate smells as with other stouts

T: Vindicated! Tremendous taste to this beer, heavy on the caramel-like taste with a smooth bitterness and just enough of a touch of hops - very different from other stouts, almost tastes like a doppelbock.

M: medium carbonation, thicker in the mouth than what it seems as I go through the beer (which is surprisingly light for a stout)

O: Excellent stout, different, compelling, surprising, just like Game of Thrones the show. I'll be looking for others out by this brewery.

Cheshire_Crew_Al, Nov 16, 2013

BGsWo22, Nov 16, 2013

AngusOg, Nov 15, 2013

leodarko, Nov 15, 2013

imperialking, Nov 14, 2013
3.64/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Figured this would make a decent first review. First day below freezing here, so it obviously was time to break this one out.

Served from the bottle in to a Half Acre belgian glass ~55°

A: Poured pitch black with a great tan head. Dissipated before too long but is keeping a nice tan film on top.

S: My first thought was that this has a smell almost reminiscent of Mad Elf/Naked Elf. Nice sweet, dark notes. Belgian yeasts?

T: Not a whole lot of forward tastes here for me. Really nice ending to this one though.

M: Although its got a nice mid to heavy body, its still a bit lighter than I expected. Also has a bit more effervescence than I had thought it would as well. A little bit of lingering stickiness starting to build.

O: Overall, I do really enjoy this beer for what it is. I think Ommegang did a great job making a beer that seems reminiscent of what the Jon Snow (although he knows nothing) and co. would have been drinking. I will be looking for the coming releases in this series, both for the gimmicks and some pretty solid beer.

skiking1163, Nov 14, 2013
4.09/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

"If you choose to take the black
Bid farewell to comforts great and small
Those who do, don't come back
Prepare yourself for life on the wall "

To Take the Black - The Sword

Black like those fellas on the wall. Big, drifting foamy pile up festoons my glass in wavey lace. Smells like caramel, roast malt and brownie batter. Is that some leafy hop I detect? I do believe. Tastes like a stouty Belgian stout. Carmel, chocolate biscotti and roast malt. Roast malt gets an aggressive hoppy push forward.

I like my Belgian stouts more stouty and without the dark fruit huey of a BSDA. Take the Black fits that description. I haven't had it in awhile but this is in Black Albert territory.

donkeyrunner, Nov 14, 2013