Take The Black Stout - Brewery Ommegang

good

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Cooker_stp on 09-09-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Take The Black Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

StoutIrish, Oct 12, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

mlhyatt, Oct 12, 2013

BDeibs, Oct 12, 2013

amstokesdb9, Oct 12, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Finally picked up a single 22 oz. bottle of this special brew at my local establishment, Civera's in Drexel Hill. Let's see how this matches up.

Appearance: Pours a jet black, like the midnight sky. Leaves behind a frothy, copper brown head with lacing that follows all the way down to the bottom. Very nice lacing I must say. Typical stout I must say, even though its labeled as a BDA. But it is nice.

Smell: First aromas I noticed was a strong influx of chocolate malt. Also noticed is some spices. Also noticed is a nice addition of caramel and some black licorice. towards the end of my detection is some slight hints of black pepper? Quite nice. Impressive even

Taste: First sips I notice an instant rush of flavors of chocolate and caramel malts. Not too overpowering though. Raisins also come into play. Dark malts are obviously present. Cocoa compliments the chocolate too. Quite creamy, some dark roasted malts which is appropriate for a BDA. Black licorice is what finishes off the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Quite creamy. Finishes dry.

Overall: I will admit, I fell into the hype of the whole HBO show and all that jazz. Kinda a neat concept I guess. Well coming into this beer, I had somewhat high expectations. I had the Iron Throne beer and it was overall slightly above average that I can remember. This brew was a little better, considering I like BDA's. This was quite a good beer. The term "session" beer I think can be applied here. I would probably have again, most likely on tap and I'm in like considering my girlfriend lives in the same town as the brewery! I would recommend to a friend and will since a lot of them enjoy the TV show. Cheers!

DMXLOX22, Oct 12, 2013

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

frozenjogurt, Oct 11, 2013

Zach122, Oct 11, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a dark brown appearing black in the glass with a tannish brown head. Leaves some lacing on the sides of the glass. Leaves a nice layer of head for a long time.

S: Belgian yeast and dark fruits are the first thing I notice. Some sweetness. Roasted malts, a hint of chocolate as well.

T: Pretty complex blend going on here. Starts with a dark fruit and belgian taste, then a dose of anise and licorice come in. The aftertaste has chocolate notes, fruitiness and yeast.

M: Full body with low carbonation on the tongue but a crisp carbonated finish. Isnt too sticky. Booze adds a touch of heat.

Overall its a good take on a Belgian type stout. Has great yeast characteristics to it and the licorice aspect is very interesting. Worth a try.

CloudStrife, Oct 11, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +23%

KornWallace, Oct 11, 2013

sneaks2210, Oct 11, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured pretty slowly into a snifter.

A: massive tan head that takes its time dissipating. Luxurious looking and bonus points for the cool label on the bottle.

S: licorice chocolate sugary and dark fruits.

T: burnt, roasted malts licorice. Pretty earthy

M: medium bodied dry finish.

O: nice beer, but this does not drink like a stout. More like a porter or Belgian dark.

Givemebeer, Oct 11, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

While it calls itself a stout, it drinks more like a Belgian strong dark in that it is very dry and the body is a bit thin for what I would call a proper stout. That said, it is still an enjoyable beer.

Pours very dark and with an aggressive tan head. Aromas are distinct, with the characteristic Belgian yeast and the roasted malts. It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a beer from this brewer, but it has a comfortable familiarity if you like Ommegang's beers.

I like that it isn't any stronger, as at this level the alcohol remains well concealed by the strong flavors. It does seem overly dry and bitter from the roasted malts, but in the end I think this is better than allowing any cloying sweetness to remain on the palate.

I am glad I got to try this one, and look forward to their future efforts for this series.

bgjohnston, Oct 11, 2013

kerry4porters, Oct 10, 2013
3.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

750ml bottle cork and cage opened with a loud pop. Poured into a Guinness pint glass.

AP: So far the head is taking up half the glass from the off. A really fluffy light tan head with large bubbles. The liquid is straight black. This is a weird head. It's not 'full' or even. After several minutes it's still about 3/4" but it's full of large bubbles and open spaces and it's bumpy. Rather odd. A second pour to bring the liquid level up seems to even out the head a bit.
AR: Heavy on the roasted grains. So heavy it smells like it's been aged on oak or oak staves. Both black and brown bread are in the aroma as well with a bit of licorice and a hint of molasses. I'm not picking up any dark fruits on this nor any chocolate or coffee. There's some Belgian yeast in the background also. Smells like a Dry Stout, a very dry Stout.
T: Pretty much like it smells with the licorice being much more prominent. This is almost like a Dry Stout but with licorice instead of coffee notes. It's not bad, but it's not great either. Just a decent basic Stout with licorice added. Has a slightly bitter finish, a bit Earthy with some dried flower notes. I would like to add that I am NOT a fan of anise and had concerns about whether there was enough of it here to make me hate this beer. If there was more than the softest hint of anise I would have picked up on it and intensely disliked this beer, but I didn't. So I can safely say the anise is but a whisper under all the other flavours that's hard to notice. Thankfully.
M: Moderately carbonated, only medium body so on the light side for a Stout. To me it seems the licorice gives it a little silkiness and the finish is fairly dry and almost cleansing.
OV: I found nothing either offensive or impressive about this beer. It's pretty much a basic Dry Stout with a twist. It has decent flavours, though nothing complex, and is easy drinking for a 7% ABV Stout. If there was solid flavours of chocolate and coffee to go with the heavy roast and licorice this would be very good, like a 4.00 to 4.25. But alas, it's pretty straight up simple.

GuinnessAtRogerWilco, Oct 10, 2013