Take The Black Stout - Brewery Ommegang

Brewery Ommegang visit their website
New York, United States

Belgian Dark Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: Cooker_stp on 09-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Take The Black Stout Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

3.84/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

no stinkin' clue what the show is about... which is why I am leery to try this. novelty products aint my thing and the hype that lured me to bring one home is certain to have garnered some steam due to the show and novices who worship Justin beiber.
oh well... here goes.
ultra dark brown with a tall head of chocolate-y foam. foam is thin and fluid. smell is of a typical carbonated American commercial brew at first and then the sweet, sugar-y Belgian ale aroma after.
bitter chocolate at first, some roasted coffee, maybe some of that black licorice.... not as sweet as a regular Belgian dark and not what I would consider a stout. the residual flavor left on the tongue is definitely some licorice-y film and maybe the anise....
someone said this may be a 'session' brew but I couldn't do another one. it's a little rich to do two of for me. it's not great and the more I have the more bitter residual left on my tongue. I like the way the lace hangs on the side of the glass though....

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.13/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Finally picked up a single 22 oz. bottle of this special brew at my local establishment, Civera's in Drexel Hill. Let's see how this matches up.

Appearance: Pours a jet black, like the midnight sky. Leaves behind a frothy, copper brown head with lacing that follows all the way down to the bottom. Very nice lacing I must say. Typical stout I must say, even though its labeled as a BDA. But it is nice.

Smell: First aromas I noticed was a strong influx of chocolate malt. Also noticed is some spices. Also noticed is a nice addition of caramel and some black licorice. towards the end of my detection is some slight hints of black pepper? Quite nice. Impressive even

Taste: First sips I notice an instant rush of flavors of chocolate and caramel malts. Not too overpowering though. Raisins also come into play. Dark malts are obviously present. Cocoa compliments the chocolate too. Quite creamy, some dark roasted malts which is appropriate for a BDA. Black licorice is what finishes off the taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation. Quite creamy. Finishes dry.

Overall: I will admit, I fell into the hype of the whole HBO show and all that jazz. Kinda a neat concept I guess. Well coming into this beer, I had somewhat high expectations. I had the Iron Throne beer and it was overall slightly above average that I can remember. This brew was a little better, considering I like BDA's. This was quite a good beer. The term "session" beer I think can be applied here. I would probably have again, most likely on tap and I'm in like considering my girlfriend lives in the same town as the brewery! I would recommend to a friend and will since a lot of them enjoy the TV show. Cheers!

Take The Black Stout from Brewery Ommegang