Foeder Projekt #1 - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Foeder Projekt #1

to view more.
Ratings: 82 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by starrdogg:
3.02/5  rDev -27.4%

On tap at the 2014 Secret Stash Bash (Atlanta).

Clear amber with a semi-durable head.

Like many, and probably most, beers of this style, I find it hard to get past the aroma. In this case, a load of soft fruits in vinegar.
The flavor is also fruity but the vinegar recedes excepting a strong and welcome tartness.

Feel: medium-light body with proper carbonation.

I must confess...I am head over heals in love...for Foeder Projekt #1. I was lucky enough to find this on tap at Henry's in Lawrence (my new home town) while playing at our local Irish session. It is possible this review is influenced by a wonderful evening playing music, but I had the first of three pints shortly after arriving so the the review, IMHO, is based mainly upon the beer.

I had this on tap in a tulip glass, and it poured lovely copper/orange color.

Nose is very winey - tannins, cherry, vanilla, and the taste is very much the same. A wonderful flavor that crosses the line between wine and beer in many ways.

Mouthffeel is very tart.

Overall, this is a marvelous beer that I wish was on tap year around at my local pub. The perfect beer for playing Irish flute, or listening to Irish music. I know that's an odd description of a kriek type of beer, but I could drink this all night while playing tunes with friends.

4.19/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Not an easy one to come by, but pleased I was able to find it on tap at Johnny's Tavern of all places.

A- Pours a solid murky amber with orange and burgundy accents. With only a little bit of light coming through, this is a fine looking sour. A light tan head that has some nice staying power only adds to its impressive look.

S- An impressive nose that carries all of the customary sour characteristics. Sour cherries, ripe green apples, vinegar, pears, and lots of acid qualities.

T- A step up from the nose. All of the amazing sour notes the nose brought forward, but some unique dark fruit flavors really set this one off in a great way. Currants or maybe figs. Not sure, but I really like it. Some damp wood also comes through. Mouth puckering, yet a fantastic balance

M- Mid to light body. A very dry finish, but a surprisingly full creaminess aspect to it at the same time. Mild carbonation and smooth drinkability.

O- Just an outstanding sour. Tart yet smooth. The complexity from the wood and dark fruits is what really set this one apart from Love Child #3 imo. It is pricey, but worth enjoying at least once.

4.11/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on tap at Beer Kitchen after Boulevard released this draft-only, Kansas City area-only beer that they describe as a "wood aged sour". If I'm not mistaken, part of the point of the beer is that Boulevard just got a new foeder and wanted to put it to good use. Well, "just" got a foeder isn't quite right, since this beer was aged in it for at least 6 months. But I digress... poured into a bulbous tulip glass.

Appearance - Body is a murky burgundy with cherry juice highlights topped witha frothy rose quartz-colored head about a finger thick. Retention is excellent as the head never completely disappearas and leaves noticeable but light lacing as I drink the beer down. In some ways it reminds me of a nice Belgian Kriek in appearance.

Smell - Apple cider vinegar, sour cherry, oak and some faint tannins as well as notes of lemon juice acidity and pronounced tartness.

Taste - The tartness and acidity is still present, but now with the taste there is a more fruit-forward element, like fresh jam. Brings to mind notes of red currant, strawberry, and sour cherry, as well as some cinnamon-like spiciness, like what you might find in certain red wines. While this beer seems more sour than the Love Child series to which the brewer page compares this beer, there is a balance in the beer that really makes it seem less overpowering.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, with moderate carbonation and a very dry finish. Surprisingly drinkable for how sour it is.

Overall, it's too bad this is a one-time beer, because I would love to be able to have this again. Guess I'll have to make a point to hit up some of the other eateries around KC that are carrying kegs of it. Definitely worth trying to find if you happen to be in the KC area.

4.05/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Appearance: Arrives with a tawny amber color; not much head and certainly no lacing

Smell: Acetic tones of tart apple, cherry and lemon along with an oaky character

Taste: Fruity, with sour cherry and apple tones; the lemon builds through the middle and the overall effect is rather vinous; some oak in the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with low carbonation]

Overall: I was excited to find this on tap and while I enjoyed it I just don't think it measures up to some of the other sours I have tasted recently

to view more.
Foeder Projekt #1 from Boulevard Brewing Co.