Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Unfiltered Wheat - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Unfiltered WheatUnfiltered Wheat

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.40% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer is a lively, refreshing ale with a natural citrusy flavor and distinctive cloudy appearance. This easy drinking American-style wheat beer has become our most popular offering, and the best-selling craft beer in the Midwest.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unfiltered Wheat Alström Bros
Reviews: 533 | Hads: 1,823
1.12/5  rDev -67.3%

It's never good when you drink a beer, that the moment you get close to finishing a beer, that you feel as if you need to spit out the beer, as the taste is to bitter and lingering. (181 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -48.2%

Aroma - More of a dry bread yeast scent than a typical wheat (like a kvass gone wrong). Not really any robust fruity or clovelike scent, this is an unappetizing smelling beer.

Mouthfeel - It is pretty well carbonated to suit the style, otherwise kind of watery without any real body.

Appearance - Poured to nice head initially with large bubbles due to high carbonation, but quickly dissipated. A pale straw color with a minimal amount of haze from yeast.

Taste - Bit of an off citrus twang possibly, maybe a bit of banana like hints in the finish. Sort of doughy. Not sure what exactly is off here, it's a mix of bland and unpleasant.

Drinkability - Due to bad taste and aftertaste I'd prefer not to have many.

Overall - I can't say that it's the worst beer I've had but it isn't a very good wheat. It's not the only reason I reviewed it online, but I'd already written this out in my personal reviews I saw how high of marks it had received here and sought to offer a differing viewpoint. I like wheat beer a lot, I just don't like this one. (1,049 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -47.4%

Had a 12oz bottle, about a year past its freshness date. The beer was a sort of hazy yellow with no real head to speak of, its little bit retreating rather quickly. Tastewise, it was an overly simple wheat beer with citrus hints that were too mild to give the beer any real worth. It is drinkable if nothing better is on hand (as was the case last night when I tried this), but is otherwise undeserving of your time and money. (426 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -46.2%

Appearance - Pale, cloudy, yellow . . . orange-hued toward bottom of mug. On pour, two-finger head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell - Faint, minimal - hint of yeast in the just-opened bottle

Taste - Bitter beyond the 14 IBU would suggest. Water, orange peel (with pith) . . . metallic(?) finish.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated, per the style, light and watery

Overall - Cowtown v. Cowtown: even 550 miles from Kansas City, this is, interestingly, the cheapest non-AAL in a Fort Worth liquor store. (One would think Rahr could slip something competitive in there.) Unfortunately, this is no bargain; disappointing—would not buy again. (641 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -39.2%

Review from my trip back to Kansas last week:

This beer pours a light yellow color with almost no carbonation, and a sliver of a white head. Very light and easy to see through. The nose is very simple, wheat, lemon, and a tiny bit of malt. The taste follows suit, with a little bit of sourness on the fringe of the flavor. Not a big fan. The taste is almost non-existent really. Feel is light w/ low carbonation. Overall, this is barely a step up from the macro BMC's of the world. Not worth drinking, unless there's nothing else available. (541 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -38.6%

12 oz stubby. Brought back from Nebraska by a buddy. Consumed 11/23/09.
A) Pours with very little... actually no head. No lacing. Slight haze but still a touch of clarity. Gold in color.
S) Faint citrus notes. Overall aroma, nearly none existent.
T) Light citrus orange and wheat taste. Mellow malt sweetness. No after taste. Finishes weak and empty.
M) Fizzy. Light dryness. Light body.
D) Feels like a beer in mouthfeel. Looks bad. Smells like nothing and tastes weak ... did I get a bad beer? (495 characters)

2.18/5  rDev -36.3%

Was suprisling clear for an unfiltered beer, a very yellow color with small white head that was gone rather quickly.

Smell was faint light citrus odors.

Taste was very macro like, super light and non descript with just the faintest hint of lemons and a touch of wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel was on the thin and watery side.

Drinkability is pretty low on this unimpressive beer. So much better out their, just a notch better than typical Macro garbage. (459 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -35.1%

A - Looks good. A cloudy golden appearance with a nice white head that stuck around for a little bit.

S - umm.... maybe some citrus?

T - I'm drinking beer right? Honestly there is little to no taste. Possibly something like a stale sprite or 7up. More like club soda with a splash from a lemon wedge, or a little bit of banana. There is seriously nothing here.

M - Nothing special. Light and fizzy. Again it's a lot like club soda.

D - If there was nothing else available or I just really wanted to down a bunch of beer and get drunk then this would be a winner, but honestly, there is nothing special here. It's sad that this was the first microbrew I could find in KS, and is the only one I've found widely available. (731 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -31.6%

Poured into a snifter seems highly carbonated. Faint smells of straw and grassy notes with hints of lemon. I am not detecting any banana or clove notes in this beer. I assuming because this is an American Wheat Beer and most likely the yeast they use is not the same as Bavarian yeast. Lacing is acute and dwindles away. A very simplistic wheat beer with very little or any unique qualities. The head is solid white and dissipates quickly. A good amount of yeast floats about in this beer and settles with time. Not the best wheat beer by far but I have to admit its easy to drink and sure offers a lot more then the domestics to be found. Liquid white bread anyone? Reminds me of wonder bread oddly :D (702 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

At the local bottle shop. $2 a 12 oz

Poured into a pint glass, making sure I get all the yeast goodness from the bottom.

A- Very intriguing Mountain Dew color, with a quarter inch head filled out with big bubble carbonation.

S - This is proving to be a bit difficult with the smells of the shop lingering in the mix of things. However, I am able to pick up on the yeastiness and lemon.

T - Honey first, and honey last. Lemon lingering in the middle. Very interesting as honey and lemon to be are a welcomed partnership. Looses itself in the finish; cause there is none.. Slightly disappointing

M - Very very light, consistency of water. The tiniest carbonation keeps it interesting.

O - This brew would be good if I were doing yard work in the hot heat under the sun. Mowing the lawn perhaps. But the finish is so lacking for me, I just couldnt bring myself to buying this again.

Note: Im curious as to why this got such high reviews, as there is truly a lack of body and finish. I find it pretty disappointing.

Best By date: 11.15.11 (1,044 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -29.5%

A= This brew is a straw biscuit gold, with a one finger head. no lacing.

S- Smells like BMC. There is a bit of a hop aroma, but it's just unimpressive.

T- Tastes like a wheat that is just watered down. The hops are not present. I'm sure this is a big hit with bmc adventurous drinkers.

M- Bubbly and carbonated wheat beer pop.

O- Don't drink it unless you're ticking (371 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -29.5%

I had tried a number of Boulevard beers when I was out in the Midwest a while back for a wedding and didn't think much of them. However after the fact people have been raving about the beers I figured they deserved another shot so I bought some for the wife and sampled.

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Pint Glass. Poured 2/3 of the bottle, swirled, and poured the rest.

A - Standard haze of an unfiltered wheat a light golden yellow. A good finger's width of white head with decent lacing.

S - Not much aroma at all. Hints of the yeast but nothing really to note.

T - First noticeable flavors would be light citrus followed by a grainy flavor presumably from the barley. Flavor transitions to a sweet citrus though dissipates quickly leaving a grassy note. I did not find much of an after taste at all it certainly flattens out. I found that the carbonation was a bit overwhelming which adversely affects the flavor, IMO. I couldn't detect much wheat which surprised me.

M - As stated above, over carbonated which lends to a harsh mouthfeel.

D - You can certainly drink it though I find it less than desirable.

Overall, I was again disappointed in the beer. I think the carbonation and lack of wheat flavor put me over the edge.

Reviewed on: 01-17-2011 15:33:39 (1,425 characters)

2.43/5  rDev -28.9%

Yellow color, awful head retention. Carbonation, but no head. Slightly more cloudy than a macro lager, but same basic color.

Almost nothing to the smell. If anything, there's a touch of sweetness, maybe some maltiness.

Passable taste, but nothing great. No hops, very mellow flavors. Bland. Probably would want a lemon to spice this wheat beer up, and in my opinion that's never a good thing.

The mouthfeel is ok, I don't mind the texture. I actually like this category of beer, so I expect more. Here in the Midwest it's an old stand-by for some people when a dive bar has nothing better. But in that situation I'll just go with a Budweiser, because I won't pay extra for something with the same amount of flavor. (723 characters)

2.45/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured a transparent yellow with a bigh white head and good carbonation. Nose is wheat, citrus, banana. Taste is pretty boring. Nothing but a light fizzy booze until the very end when I found some banana, wheat and citrus. Body wa thin, mouthfeel was to carbonated and not appealing at all. (290 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -28.1%

A. Poured a straw cloudy yellow. Small white head, not much lacing on the glass.

S. Not much here, a little wheat, some hay.

T. Lacked here as well, slight citrus, some wheat.

M. Light bodied, light carbonation

D. Not my favorite in this style. I wopuld probably try it again in a bottle to be fair. (303 characters)

2.49/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass, lemony straw colored with a lacy white head, some retention and lacing but not much, supremely cloudy, vigourous bubbling

S: some wheat and banana ester, yeast, an odd sour smell that shouldn't be there

T: it vaguely tastes of wheat beer, cloves, but a strange sourness, quite flavorless

M: flat and completely watery, it's refreshing but wrong for the style

O: I'm dissapointed that I dirtied up a weizen glass for this. It looks like a wheat beer, but that is where it stops. I bought this in date (BBD 12/3/12) but drank it a little late. I may seek out a younger bottle to see if my opinion changes. Surely seven days wouldn't make it this bad though... (712 characters)

2.53/5  rDev -26%

Got a 6 pack at the Beverage warehouse in Arab AL, really looked forward to this beer, nice packaging, looked interesting, I have never had any other Boulevard beers but read good things about it so I gave this a shot, and I am far from impressed. It starts out good, the beer looks nice, a nice yellow with a little bit of head, the smell wasn't too special, yeast and maybe some citrus, really not that strong, and that's about as good as it gets, this beer barely has any flavor at all, o it is fizzy, but not tasty. If I had to say anything I'd say maybe some citrus but it's really not strong, no real aftertaste either. Not too happy with this beer, this is my first and last 6 pack of this. (697 characters)

2.54/5  rDev -25.7%

Ordered this beer tonight at a local Cajan restaurant. It was listed only as "Boulevard". The server said he thought it was a lager. What showed up was a pint glass with a cloudy golden colored brew typical of a weizenbier. After checking with the bar, I discovered it was in fact the Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat beer. As a Wheat Beer this was at best unremarkable but drinkable. It tasted like a light beer with hardly any alcohol and had a slight wheat flavor with an early hint of citrus. Overall it was pretty bland but a good thirst quencher. (546 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Super pale yellow and cloudy.

Aroma: Pretty average yeasty smell. A little bit of malt sweetness and some spice.

Taste: Starts a little bit sweet, but then becomes overwhelmed by cloves.

Mouthfeel: Good level of carbonation. The spices leave a prickly feeling on the tongue.

Final Thoughts: The bottle I had was expired by over a month. However, I don't think that a fresh bottle could have improved the taste too much. As far as wheat beers go, there are definitely some better options out there. (516 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -24.6%

I have heard from a few customers in my store that Boulevard is kinda like Shiner when i comes to how people think and drink it ... it is a very people friendly brew... low on the head but some is present.. some small honey and hop whiffs ... thin mouthfeel but i can see it being refreshing ... not worth what i have heard about it.. maybe on tap perhaps... (358 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -24.3%

Appearance: A decent head on this with a touch of lacing

Smell: Not to much for smell on this one. Yeasty with a hint of banana.

Taste: I was a bit let down with the taste of this as it was quite bland. All i could pick up was the yeastiness...

Mouthfeel: A bit to carbonated for my taste in wheat beers. Left a somewhat tart taste that I get from a lot of wheat beers (not a bad thing).

Drinkability: It's one of those six packs that takes a long time for me finish off. Because it's quite bland, the drinkability isn't high for me. (539 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -24.3%

A - Yellow lemon-straw color. Neon. Cloudy witbier characteristics. About 1/2 a finger of puff-cloud white head. And some not-bad lacing. Not much continued carbonation.

S - Lemonade, dish-cleaner, and a bit of yeast. Near the end of the glass I got a bit of a mild hop smell, but by then my opionons had already been made.

T - Crisp, very little hop and only a tiny bit of malt to taste. Some noticeable lemon/acidic tones, but overall lacks character.

M - Light bodied, thin but slightly fizzy with a bit of mouth coating texture.

D - Like that carbonated lemon water they sell to joggers. Needs more beer characteristics. Lots of lemon and not much else. Easy to drink yes, but in a girly way. (700 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24%

Tried this at a BBQ joint in Branson, MO. So glad the BBQ beef was good because I wasn't impressed with the beer. Actually, Barnson in general has a poor selection of beer.

A: couldn't tell much. Served in a brown 12oz bottle. I asked for a glass but got a styrofoam cup.

S: Slight lemon and some wheat and light malt

Taste: Bland, light citrus, slightly sweet.

M: Body is thin, and light. Slight carbonation

O: Not impressed should have picked one of the major label amderican brews. (491 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -24%

12oz bottle poured into a Trois Pistoles snifter. BB 11/27/11 stamped on neck.

Appearance - White 2-finger head with a high pour, and decent retention.

Smell - Ultra mild wheat. Not much else.

Taste - Light wheat. Slight lemon rind. No off flavors.

Mouthfeel - Light and watery. Refreshing but not interesting.

Overall Drinkability - Refreshing. Flavorless. The Bud Light of wheat beers. Almost all of the points I'm awarding this beer for the overall score have to do with it's refreshment factor and for nothing else. (526 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a best by date into a pint glass. It was a hazy pale straw color. It barely had a head and it went away quickly leaving a tiny collar. Good carb though. The aroma was extremely weak and what was there had a weird smell that I couldn't identify. The taste followed the smell - very weak with a weird taste. Just not a good beer once you've tried good craft beers. I could see someone who is trying to move beyond macros liking it but I'm way past that point. One is enough. (2.5, NA, Tie, N) (521 characters)

Unfiltered Wheat from Boulevard Brewing Co.