Unfiltered Wheat - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Unfiltered WheatUnfiltered Wheat

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.40% ABV

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer is a lively, refreshing ale with a natural citrusy flavor and distinctive cloudy appearance. This easy drinking American-style wheat beer has become our most popular offering, and the best-selling craft beer in the Midwest.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
View: Beers (52) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unfiltered Wheat Alström Bros
montydesi

05-03-2014 05:08:58 | More by montydesi
jerryjeff

Tennessee

1.78/5  rDev -49.7%

Aroma - More of a dry bread yeast scent than a typical wheat (like a kvass gone wrong). Not really any robust fruity or clovelike scent, this is an unappetizing smelling beer.

Mouthfeel - It is pretty well carbonated to suit the style, otherwise kind of watery without any real body.

Appearance - Poured to nice head initially with large bubbles due to high carbonation, but quickly dissipated. A pale straw color with a minimal amount of haze from yeast.

Taste - Bit of an off citrus twang possibly, maybe a bit of banana like hints in the finish. Sort of doughy. Not sure what exactly is off here, it's a mix of bland and unpleasant.

Drinkability - Due to bad taste and aftertaste I'd prefer not to have many.

Overall - I can't say that it's the worst beer I've had but it isn't a very good wheat. It's not the only reason I reviewed it online, but I'd already written this out in my personal reviews I saw how high of marks it had received here and sought to offer a differing viewpoint. I like wheat beer a lot, I just don't like this one.

02-01-2011 03:07:11 | More by jerryjeff
beerindex

1.78/5  rDev -49.7%

Had a 12oz bottle, about a year past its freshness date. The beer was a sort of hazy yellow with no real head to speak of, its little bit retreating rather quickly. Tastewise, it was an overly simple wheat beer with citrus hints that were too mild to give the beer any real worth. It is drinkable if nothing better is on hand (as was the case last night when I tried this), but is otherwise undeserving of your time and money.

05-03-2009 22:43:42 | More by beerindex
swellcat

1.84/5  rDev -48%

Appearance - Pale, cloudy, yellow . . . orange-hued toward bottom of mug. On pour, two-finger head that dissipated very quickly.

Smell - Faint, minimal - hint of yeast in the just-opened bottle

Taste - Bitter beyond the 14 IBU would suggest. Water, orange peel (with pith) . . . metallic(?) finish.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated, per the style, light and watery

Overall - Cowtown v. Cowtown: even 550 miles from Kansas City, this is, interestingly, the cheapest non-AAL in a Fort Worth liquor store. (One would think Rahr could slip something competitive in there.) Unfortunately, this is no bargain; disappointing—would not buy again.

05-22-2013 18:19:35 | More by swellcat

07-07-2014 08:05:43 | More by antichuckmoore
jayhawk73

Maryland

2.08/5  rDev -41.2%

Review from my trip back to Kansas last week:

This beer pours a light yellow color with almost no carbonation, and a sliver of a white head. Very light and easy to see through. The nose is very simple, wheat, lemon, and a tiny bit of malt. The taste follows suit, with a little bit of sourness on the fringe of the flavor. Not a big fan. The taste is almost non-existent really. Feel is light w/ low carbonation. Overall, this is barely a step up from the macro BMC's of the world. Not worth drinking, unless there's nothing else available.

01-02-2012 18:53:38 | More by jayhawk73
u2carew

2.1/5  rDev -40.7%

12 oz stubby. Brought back from Nebraska by a buddy. Consumed 11/23/09.
A) Pours with very little... actually no head. No lacing. Slight haze but still a touch of clarity. Gold in color.
S) Faint citrus notes. Overall aroma, nearly none existent.
T) Light citrus orange and wheat taste. Mellow malt sweetness. No after taste. Finishes weak and empty.
M) Fizzy. Light dryness. Light body.
D) Feels like a beer in mouthfeel. Looks bad. Smells like nothing and tastes weak ... did I get a bad beer?

12-26-2009 14:08:46 | More by u2carew
bashiba

2.15/5  rDev -39.3%

Was suprisling clear for an unfiltered beer, a very yellow color with small white head that was gone rather quickly.

Smell was faint light citrus odors.

Taste was very macro like, super light and non descript with just the faintest hint of lemons and a touch of wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel was on the thin and watery side.

Drinkability is pretty low on this unimpressive beer. So much better out their, just a notch better than typical Macro garbage.

01-09-2005 04:36:22 | More by bashiba
SuperSpy

Georgia

2.2/5  rDev -37.9%

A - Looks good. A cloudy golden appearance with a nice white head that stuck around for a little bit.

S - umm.... maybe some citrus?

T - I'm drinking beer right? Honestly there is little to no taste. Possibly something like a stale sprite or 7up. More like club soda with a splash from a lemon wedge, or a little bit of banana. There is seriously nothing here.

M - Nothing special. Light and fizzy. Again it's a lot like club soda.

D - If there was nothing else available or I just really wanted to down a bunch of beer and get drunk then this would be a winner, but honestly, there is nothing special here. It's sad that this was the first microbrew I could find in KS, and is the only one I've found widely available.

10-06-2006 02:57:48 | More by SuperSpy
beerbrains

Nebraska

2.25/5  rDev -36.4%

06-18-2014 06:09:50 | More by beerbrains
coastiefish

Oregon

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

At the local bottle shop. $2 a 12 oz

Poured into a pint glass, making sure I get all the yeast goodness from the bottom.

A- Very intriguing Mountain Dew color, with a quarter inch head filled out with big bubble carbonation.

S - This is proving to be a bit difficult with the smells of the shop lingering in the mix of things. However, I am able to pick up on the yeastiness and lemon.

T - Honey first, and honey last. Lemon lingering in the middle. Very interesting as honey and lemon to be are a welcomed partnership. Looses itself in the finish; cause there is none.. Slightly disappointing

M - Very very light, consistency of water. The tiniest carbonation keeps it interesting.

O - This brew would be good if I were doing yard work in the hot heat under the sun. Mowing the lawn perhaps. But the finish is so lacking for me, I just couldnt bring myself to buying this again.

Note: Im curious as to why this got such high reviews, as there is truly a lack of body and finish. I find it pretty disappointing.

Best By date: 11.15.11

08-17-2011 01:51:09 | More by coastiefish
kaniatron

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured into a snifter seems highly carbonated. Faint smells of straw and grassy notes with hints of lemon. I am not detecting any banana or clove notes in this beer. I assuming because this is an American Wheat Beer and most likely the yeast they use is not the same as Bavarian yeast. Lacing is acute and dwindles away. A very simplistic wheat beer with very little or any unique qualities. The head is solid white and dissipates quickly. A good amount of yeast floats about in this beer and settles with time. Not the best wheat beer by far but I have to admit its easy to drink and sure offers a lot more then the domestics to be found. Liquid white bread anyone? Reminds me of wonder bread oddly :D

10-28-2012 01:32:46 | More by kaniatron
barleywinefiend

Washington

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Poured a transparent yellow with a bigh white head and good carbonation. Nose is wheat, citrus, banana. Taste is pretty boring. Nothing but a light fizzy booze until the very end when I found some banana, wheat and citrus. Body wa thin, mouthfeel was to carbonated and not appealing at all.

03-18-2010 01:31:36 | More by barleywinefiend
hopfacebrew

Colorado

2.4/5  rDev -32.2%

I had tried a number of Boulevard beers when I was out in the Midwest a while back for a wedding and didn't think much of them. However after the fact people have been raving about the beers I figured they deserved another shot so I bought some for the wife and sampled.

Poured from 12 oz bottle to Pint Glass. Poured 2/3 of the bottle, swirled, and poured the rest.

A - Standard haze of an unfiltered wheat a light golden yellow. A good finger's width of white head with decent lacing.

S - Not much aroma at all. Hints of the yeast but nothing really to note.

T - First noticeable flavors would be light citrus followed by a grainy flavor presumably from the barley. Flavor transitions to a sweet citrus though dissipates quickly leaving a grassy note. I did not find much of an after taste at all it certainly flattens out. I found that the carbonation was a bit overwhelming which adversely affects the flavor, IMO. I couldn't detect much wheat which surprised me.

M - As stated above, over carbonated which lends to a harsh mouthfeel.

D - You can certainly drink it though I find it less than desirable.

Overall, I was again disappointed in the beer. I think the carbonation and lack of wheat flavor put me over the edge.

Reviewed on: 01-17-2011 15:33:39

01-27-2012 22:38:13 | More by hopfacebrew
tykees88

Indiana

2.42/5  rDev -31.6%

A= This brew is a straw biscuit gold, with a one finger head. no lacing.

S- Smells like BMC. There is a bit of a hop aroma, but it's just unimpressive.

T- Tastes like a wheat that is just watered down. The hops are not present. I'm sure this is a big hit with bmc adventurous drinkers.

M- Bubbly and carbonated wheat beer pop.

O- Don't drink it unless you're ticking

09-17-2011 19:22:35 | More by tykees88
jar2574

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Yellow color, awful head retention. Carbonation, but no head. Slightly more cloudy than a macro lager, but same basic color.

Almost nothing to the smell. If anything, there's a touch of sweetness, maybe some maltiness.

Passable taste, but nothing great. No hops, very mellow flavors. Bland. Probably would want a lemon to spice this wheat beer up, and in my opinion that's never a good thing.

The mouthfeel is ok, I don't mind the texture. I actually like this category of beer, so I expect more. Here in the Midwest it's an old stand-by for some people when a dive bar has nothing better. But in that situation I'll just go with a Budweiser, because I won't pay extra for something with the same amount of flavor.

07-13-2007 02:14:13 | More by jar2574
yesferro

Mississippi

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Got a 6 pack at the Beverage warehouse in Arab AL, really looked forward to this beer, nice packaging, looked interesting, I have never had any other Boulevard beers but read good things about it so I gave this a shot, and I am far from impressed. It starts out good, the beer looks nice, a nice yellow with a little bit of head, the smell wasn't too special, yeast and maybe some citrus, really not that strong, and that's about as good as it gets, this beer barely has any flavor at all, o it is fizzy, but not tasty. If I had to say anything I'd say maybe some citrus but it's really not strong, no real aftertaste either. Not too happy with this beer, this is my first and last 6 pack of this.

06-02-2009 01:32:09 | More by yesferro
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a weizen glass, lemony straw colored with a lacy white head, some retention and lacing but not much, supremely cloudy, vigourous bubbling

S: some wheat and banana ester, yeast, an odd sour smell that shouldn't be there

T: it vaguely tastes of wheat beer, cloves, but a strange sourness, quite flavorless

M: flat and completely watery, it's refreshing but wrong for the style

O: I'm dissapointed that I dirtied up a weizen glass for this. It looks like a wheat beer, but that is where it stops. I bought this in date (BBD 12/3/12) but drank it a little late. I may seek out a younger bottle to see if my opinion changes. Surely seven days wouldn't make it this bad though...

12-11-2012 00:36:52 | More by M_C_Hampton
smibroncos

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

A. Poured a straw cloudy yellow. Small white head, not much lacing on the glass.

S. Not much here, a little wheat, some hay.

T. Lacked here as well, slight citrus, some wheat.

M. Light bodied, light carbonation

D. Not my favorite in this style. I wopuld probably try it again in a bottle to be fair.

07-08-2009 22:56:53 | More by smibroncos
Unfiltered Wheat from Boulevard Brewing Co.