Unfiltered Wheat - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Unfiltered WheatUnfiltered Wheat

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  4.40% ABV

Boulevard Unfiltered Wheat Beer is a lively, refreshing ale with a natural citrusy flavor and distinctive cloudy appearance. This easy drinking American-style wheat beer has become our most popular offering, and the best-selling craft beer in the Midwest.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Unfiltered Wheat Alström Bros
Docer

Washington

4.22/5  rDev +19.2%

Update***

Bought an aluminum pint bottle, drinking 07/26/2011

Appearance: (4.0)
- Nice cloudy unfiltered creamed corn yellow. Light zesty orange hue sits beneath a quickly fizzling white fluffy finger of head. Leaves just some scattered dusting about the surface.

Smell: (4.0)
- Nice fruity and zesty smelling wheat beer. I immediately want to start chugging this bad boy just based on the wonderful smell. Light sweet malts, lightly bready and biscuity.. somewhat grassy and earthy. Fluid hides much of it all though.

Taste: (4.5)
- Wonderful citrus and zesty fruity wheat. Light sweet wheat malts, light honey, and bready character. Lemon zest, grassy and herbal. Certainly a refreshing sessionable brew. Very good and solid.

Mouth Feel: (4.0)
- Light bodied, slightly creamy, and certainly mouth watering. Slightly drying and a touch chewy. Overall this beer has some great qualities.

Overall: (4.0)
- Certainly a stand-out wheat. Light bready and zesty this one is. Very refreshing while still having some great flavor. I love the packaging and the fact that the aluminum bottle is a full pint. The price was a bit steep for my taste, but it doesn't affect my judging of what's inside.

--->

Acquired as an extra in a recent trade... hot day seems perfect for it.., best by 10/10/09.

- Very light straw-yellow cloudy unfiltered look... small amount of white head that quickly disappeared and left a bit of lingering lace.

- Mild sweet ester, light banana, bread, honey..

- Pleasant sweet wheat, bit of grape, slight sing, some crisp herb.. light honey...

- Zingy sour touch, watery after-feel.. slight bready chewiness..

- Not bad at all, great carbonation, looks pretty, smells pretty... and is overall a decent wheat. Some of the low marks I think are from fans that are just not a fan of the style.

07-29-2009 21:06:34 | More by Docer
GbVDave

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from two 12oz bottles into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best By 09/18/09

A: Pours a cloudy peachy color with a fizzy, one-finger head on top that disappears immediately leaving no lace.

S: Aromas of toasted grain, lemony citrus, and a touch of white grape.

T: Identical to the smell with a little less white grape sweetness.

M: Prickly and sticky. Too much carbonation.

D: Not terrible, but I can think of a ton of other APWA's I'd reach for over this one.

07-23-2009 00:20:32 | More by GbVDave
NODAK

Tennessee

3.45/5  rDev -2.5%

Aroma here is of about a bushel of wheat and some sweetness as well. I like it.

Taste is not overally tart as many of this style are...it's actually fairly sweet (apples maybe?) and fruity at first but ends up with a tart twang towards the end. Finishes with a decent bit of wheat present. Somewhat tangy and fruity on the finish. No hop presence to speak of. Pretty clean, very little left over in aftertaste.

The taste was a little offputting at first but it's not bad and certainly drinkable on those hot summer days.

07-18-2009 02:39:48 | More by NODAK
smibroncos

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

A. Poured a straw cloudy yellow. Small white head, not much lacing on the glass.

S. Not much here, a little wheat, some hay.

T. Lacked here as well, slight citrus, some wheat.

M. Light bodied, light carbonation

D. Not my favorite in this style. I wopuld probably try it again in a bottle to be fair.

07-08-2009 22:56:53 | More by smibroncos
bonsreeb85

3.2/5  rDev -9.6%

A- poured this one out of a cute litte stubby 12 oz. bottle. comes out looking the color of lemonade, only very very hazy w/ a thin, but atractive white creamy-like crown.

S - zesty lemon, some orange rind, wheat cereal and even a bit of grass. nothing out of the ordinary that i can detect

T - more of the same that i smelled, this is not the most flavor packed beer(wheat or otherwise for that matter) in fact, i wish there was something more. just bland old basic wheat properties. let me go ahead and make it clear, that it's not a bad flavor by anymeans, tasty, just very little flavor.

MF/D - this is the beer's saving grace, although the flavor department is lacking, the chewy and thick, crisp and highly carbonated body, make it perfect for chasing the heat and/or chugging. Mouthfeel spot on for style, because this beer isn't too rich of thick it is perfect for a session as long as lack of complexity and intense flavor are not a problem for you.

I wouldn't go out of my way for this one, seeing as though there are a ton of better examples of this style available. overall not bad though

06-19-2009 18:36:43 | More by bonsreeb85
TPSReports

Alabama

3.9/5  rDev +10.2%

The pour out of the tap into my mason jar produced a nice white head, say .75 inches. It doesn't last and has no lacing. Note, the beer is served with a lemon, which I found strange. Normally, I'm totally against fruit and beer. The only thing worse is rasberries and chocolate. Anyway....

Smell, a hint of orange with some grains.

The beer is nice with a mild fruit taste without the lemon. With the lemon, this brew transforms into something that needs to be drunk. Quickly. With GREAT enjoyment. This a a poundable delightful ale..

With fruit, this beer has a lemony taste. Shocking. Very little hoppiness, which appeals to me greatly.

I can drink this all night. The low alcohol volume assists me in this activity.

A GREAT refreshing summer beer. If I owned a kegerator, this would be in there all summer.

Cheers.

06-18-2009 22:36:53 | More by TPSReports
everetends

Alabama

3.95/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz stubby bottle I got to enjoy at Effina's Italian Restaurant in Jacksonville, AL. The bartender was excited to have a new beer and he invited me out to give it a go and let him know what I think. Kind of a big deal considering they only stock 3 bottled beers (Peroni and New Castle being the other offerings). Served up in a nonic imperial pint (all the beer glassware they have).

A: Pours a very hazy sunny yellow color. The haze adds a little bit of a white character to the color. Held to the light you get more of light, lemony color. The cloud is pretty heavy, but you really don't see much in debris, no real heavy substance. Head was a bit of let down here. I got maybe a finger at best in three bottles. It took some work to build up that much and there was no real lasting power to it. The head disappears rather quickly and there is no lace to speak of. Good looking, but it could have more going for it.

S: Smell is pretty light and earthy. Earthy was absolutely expected considering the wheat. The wheat presence is nice and slightly sweet. The hops that come out appear to be of a grassy quality. Getting some decent fruit presence. There is definitely some lemon, and then in the back ground there may be some red apple and pineapple as well. With all that there, it is a bit light and airy. I feel the wheat and other aromas could be a bit more pronounced.

T: I feel where the aroma lacks, the flavor comes through. Really nice and earthy wheat presence. The wheat is hearty and a touch sweet, working nicely with the light pale malt presence. The hops are light but present, bringing a grassy and lemony quality. There is absolutely a pineapple note in here that works very nicely. Maybe a touch of apple in the background. Very satisfying.

M: Maybe the medium side of light in body. It is light but it has some weight to it. Carbonation is not crazy, but it is enough to keep this brew crisp and refreshing. No need to talk about ABV because it is pretty low and doesn't show up in any form. Finish stays pretty clean, only leaving a touch of lemon and pineapple in the aftertaste.

D: I really enjoyed this. I was incredibly thirsty after work and this hit the spot. Worked my way through 4 of these easily and they refreshed nicely and sit lightly. Didn't feel it was a chore to drink and it makes a very nice summer brew. Told the bartender it is absolutely a contender in a good starter craft to keep at the bar since he is trying to slowly work in a craft beer selection that would appeal to the masses in our town. I think this is a good easy drinker that can be enjoyed by all. Enjoyed it for sure.

06-05-2009 06:04:51 | More by everetends
glid02

3.65/5  rDev +3.1%

On-tap at various locations around Columbia, MO.

Pours a nearly opaque lemon-yellow color with a one-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin pancake on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of grassy wheat with hints of clove but almost nothing else.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Grassy flavors up front are mellowed about a bit by wheat twang. As with the smell, mild clove flavors are present but only in short supply. Ending is mildly dry.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. As I indicated above, I had a few of these throughout my stay in Columbia and enjoyed them all well enough.

Overall this is a wheat beer that's not that bad but it's also not that good. Not a bad option overall.

06-04-2009 01:43:18 | More by glid02
wheatyweiss

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a bottle into a small wheat glass, which wasn't neccessary.

Pours a light straw with a nearly present head that collapses to a bit of spotty cap. No lacing.

Smells a bit warmer than a regular pale wheat. Light wheat malt and a slight amoutn of sweetness. Yeast with lemon, orange and biscuits.

Flavor is of pale wheat malt and fruity yeast. The flavor is like watery lemonade mixed with half hefe and half american macro, I just don't get it. There is a smalish amount of grassiness that I just can't place.

Mouthfeel is super carbonated and crisp, the carbonation cutting the sweetness lets me know that if not for the carbo, this beer would be lemonade with a yeast contaminant.

Do not reccomend, easy to drink, but no flavor.

06-03-2009 00:09:05 | More by wheatyweiss
yesferro

Mississippi

2.45/5  rDev -30.8%

Got a 6 pack at the Beverage warehouse in Arab AL, really looked forward to this beer, nice packaging, looked interesting, I have never had any other Boulevard beers but read good things about it so I gave this a shot, and I am far from impressed. It starts out good, the beer looks nice, a nice yellow with a little bit of head, the smell wasn't too special, yeast and maybe some citrus, really not that strong, and that's about as good as it gets, this beer barely has any flavor at all, o it is fizzy, but not tasty. If I had to say anything I'd say maybe some citrus but it's really not strong, no real aftertaste either. Not too happy with this beer, this is my first and last 6 pack of this.

06-02-2009 01:32:09 | More by yesferro
Rayek

3.3/5  rDev -6.8%

A: Cloudy straw with middling carbonation. Foamy white head starts OK and quickly settles to a thin film. Leaves bits of lace.

S: Musty, yeasty, plus a touch of clove and bit of lemon.

T: Mostly raw bread. There's a mild lemon bitterness that's helped by a small amount of clove to create balance. Finishes tart and slightly sour. As the beer warms, the sourness becomes more prevalent.

M: Medium light body is grainy and has harsh carbonation.

D: This is OK to me, but not great. American Pale Wheat isn't my favorite style, so I'm sure I'm feeling a touch of bias. As a session beer, Unfiltered would do nicely.

05-30-2009 00:28:07 | More by Rayek
kimcgolf

3.28/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours to a slightly cloudy, pale lemony-yellow with thin white head thatg disspiates soon and a little carbonation throughout. Nose is citrusy wheat, with a touch of hops and graininess. Mouthfeel is slightly tingly with a body a little on the thin side. Taste tries to pick up the lemony citrus and wheat of the nose, but seems to be just as much of grain. Finish is slightly watery, short and uninteresting. A ho-hum beer.

05-27-2009 02:13:52 | More by kimcgolf
Ricelikesbeer

2.83/5  rDev -20.1%

part of the boulevard summer sampler. Pours thin and watered down, not a great appearence here. kinda reminds me of my last drug test for a job I took.... smell and taste are pretty weak too. Feel like I'm barely drinking beer here. By far the worst beer in the sampler, which otherwise, was very good. The only saving grace here is the drinkability. Ovbviously they were going for an easy drinking summer beer, but this lacks any resemblence of anything worth mentioning. Wouldn't recommend, even as a summer lawnmowing type beer.

05-20-2009 05:58:41 | More by Ricelikesbeer
dismal

3.48/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a pint glass from the bottle There was a best by date on the bottle, this particular bottle was still fresh for another couple months. Poured a cloudy very very pale yellow, pale straw color with a nice white head. Leaves nice lacing down the glass. The smell didn't do much for me, wasn't too impressed with it. Wheat, citrus, yeast. Nothing really jumped out to much. Compared to the smell, I was actually surprised by the taste. I didn't think I was going to be able to get into this one but once I tasted it I found I enjoyed it. Wheat and a faint citrus taste. Really refreshing beer, goes down pretty good. Not a style of beer I particularly love, but I enjoy this wheat beer.

05-11-2009 01:33:07 | More by dismal
climax

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a cloudy yellow, a finger or two of head faded quick.

Smell is wheat, and citrus, with notes of coriander and some ripened fruit.

Flavor is along the same lines as the nose. There is a good yeast presence for the most part, a citrus tang and coriander in the finish....if you can see through the carbonation

Body is not bad, not thin or watery. There is definitely a blast of sharp carbonation, perhaps too much. Otherwise the yeasty mouthfeel remained through the finish

Nothing special, but it's got availability and drinkability. Refreshing and probably non-offensive to someone who your trying to get into the better beer scene.

05-05-2009 00:00:14 | More by climax
beerindex

1.78/5  rDev -49.7%

Had a 12oz bottle, about a year past its freshness date. The beer was a sort of hazy yellow with no real head to speak of, its little bit retreating rather quickly. Tastewise, it was an overly simple wheat beer with citrus hints that were too mild to give the beer any real worth. It is drinkable if nothing better is on hand (as was the case last night when I tried this), but is otherwise undeserving of your time and money.

05-03-2009 22:43:42 | More by beerindex
drpimento

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Hot a bad beer. Poured with a white head and no lace. Head almost completely disappeard quickly. Hazy yellow color. Mild wheat beer aroma. Flavor is citrusy as described. Sweet/tart, clean. Pleasant finish. Edgy carbonation. Good summertime beer. Could be a session beer.

04-22-2009 16:47:43 | More by drpimento
cadizkyguy

Kentucky

4.25/5  rDev +20.1%

From notes, on Friday, April 10, 2009, I am very impressed with this Boulevard beer. Started off my drinking night with Dale's Pale Ale, then Green Flash West Coast IPA, and then Boulevard's unfiltered wheat, and this one not only put out the hop fire in my mouth, but it was incredibly delicious. I don't understand all the negative reviews on here, because this one hits the mark with me. I guess that's the beauty of BA -- everyone's tastes are different. I wrote Boulevard and told them of my fondness for its unfiltered wheat and they thanked me for my nice comments. This will be a regular in my beer rotation. Thanks Boulevard for not only nice packaging, and freshness dates, but at Friar Tuck in Savoy, IL, a reasonably priced six pack ($6.99).

04-14-2009 23:37:11 | More by cadizkyguy
naterock

2.63/5  rDev -25.7%

Let me say that I used to drink the hell out of this when I was first getting into beer and I am simply re-visiting it.

poured piss yellow and cloudy with a one finger foamy white head.

smelled of wheat malt and an off-putting yeast.

taste is very bland, really kinda sour and uninviting. wheaty malt is so thin and faint.

I used to slam these down in college but for now it was a drain pour for me. Sorry Boulevard but this one was brewed for the masses and they can keep it.

04-14-2009 22:58:36 | More by naterock
barnzy78

3.88/5  rDev +9.6%

12oz stub. Pours a cloudy and hazy pale yellow with a minimal white head that dissipates very quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. Aromas are wheat, yeast, and lemon, with slight hints of orange. Mouth-feel is over carbonated and seems rather fizzy in the mouth. Tastes are similar to aromas - yeast, lemon, wheat, trace hop and grassy finish for balance. Quenching for a hot summer day. Very drinkable and one of my favorites for the style.

04-08-2009 00:34:25 | More by barnzy78
Kromes

3.55/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a golden straw color with a thin head that dies down to a thin line of bubbles. Even though it is unfiltered this beer was not as cloudy as most wheat beers. Wasn't too impressed with the aromas, or lack of aromas. I could barely detect a fruity yeasty aroma. Flavors are also very simple and muted, a slight bready citrus and that is about it. The finish is nice, a crisp dry finish similar to a white wine. This is very drinkable, however it could have used more aroma and flavor.

04-05-2009 18:14:15 | More by Kromes
eyncognito

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Hazy yellow-bright, only a small white head that quickly receded into disk before fading completely, no lacing. Smell is mild, hints of lemon, wheat malt. The lemon is somewhat muted, no rich citrus or banana or spice in the nose, truly an American Wheat, none of the yeasts or esters from its German ancestor, nor are any hops evident in the aroma. Meh.

Taste is somewhat bland like the aroma-mild wheat malts, the lemon is present, not to mention pleasant. More tangy and tart than sweet which I prefer in a American Pale Wheat, finishes slightly dry. Quenching I suppose, certainly a good option for the summer months. As it warmed, notes of banana and spice peek out, but only sightly. Where was this? Certainly not in the aroma.

Mouthfeel is somewhat bland, could use a little more carbonation, body light, if not slightly watery, but not entirely unpleasant. This beer's low abv makes it sessionable in the strictest sense of the word. Ok, not unpleasant, but I can find better wheat beers than this.

04-03-2009 20:12:19 | More by eyncognito
mizzourah

3.58/5  rDev +1.1%

A- It's a cloudy yellow with light carbonation. The head was thin, off white and didn't stick around for very long.

S- Mostly citruses, especially lemon and orange.

T- It is dominated by lemon and orange taste with a little bit of wheat in the background. There is a small bite of hops at the end to balance the beer but it's not very powerful. As it warms the citrus seems more powerful.

M- It's a fairly light beer and almost reminds me of drinking a carbonated fruit drink.

D- Boulevard Wheat is widely available in Missouri and is a good fall back when at the bar. There is good reason for this. It's extremely drinkable and not high in alcohol, which makes it a great session beer. It's also very refreshing during a hot day and is a good alternative during football season and tailgates.

04-02-2009 19:08:11 | More by mizzourah
Vixie

3.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Was mainly a yellow color with just a hint of orange. Looked more like a juice drink than a beer.

Smell wasn't real strong ,a little sweet, as well as a bread like scent.

Taste was ok, started citruisy, a lot of lemon, and a touch of wheat. Finished with a light hoppiness. Nothing too complex here, although wasn't bad.

I'd consider the mouthfeel to be average, not too thin, but not really anything that stood out.

I do rate this beer high on the drinkability, it does go down smooth and easy, and would be easy to have several of these. Very nice choice for just a simple beer you want to enjoy,without getting too deep into its profile. Also would be a good choice for a hot day.

03-30-2009 18:27:26 | More by Vixie
ChainGangGuy

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, straw-colored body with a thin, frothed, white head.

Smell: Simply stated, you get a little lemon, some wheat, and some spice. There.

Taste: Lightly tangy wheat flavor followed by a burst of lemon. Mildly sweet. Tiniest hint of spice and no more than an altogether light bitterness. Drying, lemony finish with plenty of crisp carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation.

Drinkability: Just another light, easy-drinking wheat beer. Though it is a bit too high carbonation for me.

03-25-2009 16:48:06 | More by ChainGangGuy
Unfiltered Wheat from Boulevard Brewing Co.