Saison - Boulevard Brewing Co.

SaisonSaison

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Rio on 03-01-2005)

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml bottle (batch S8317) poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a clear and bright golden straw color tinted with amber. Three fingers of thick, dense and whipped creamy white head shows outstanding staying power lasting for several minutes and dying slowly with tons of webby lacing left on the glass.

S - Super citrusy...filled with oranges, some lemons and limes. Spicy with some black pepper present, grainy malt, a bit yeasty. Love the citrus dominated aroma here.

T - A bit different than I was expecting from the aroma. Quite dry overall with some good earthiness at the base, grassy and bitter hoppiness - clean and crisp, touches of black pepper. Lemons and limes are noticeable but not approaching the dominance of the aroma. Lightly grainy and wheaty for a malt presence.

M - Very dry and crisp...well attenuated - practically no residual sweetness here. Very high carbonation level that gives a huge tingle and a bit of a foaming action in the mouth thru to the swallow.

O - Sat on this one in the cellar for a while...definitely worth the wait. Well balanced, full of flavor and complex...sad that this one won't be made again. Another excellent saison from Boulevard.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

4.18/5  rDev +4.2%

I was nervous to try this because the beer was really old, but I said screw it and bought it.

I poured it out into a Duvel tulip class and it had a lot of carbonation like a champagne. The head pours very thick too.
The smell of this beer is very nice too. I pick up a lot of sweetness, fruitiness and a slight bit of hops.
The taste is very nice. I pick up a nice bit of malt, some sweetness and a very mild after taste of hops. This is by far the smoothest beer I have ever had. With as huge of a head as it had, I didnt expect such smoothness.

Overall this beer was a nice find. I was nervous to drink this beer because it was over two years old, but it has aged well. I am grateful I got to try this beer before there are no more.

3.65/5  rDev -9%

This is a 4 year old bottle from my cellar.
Poured into a tulip.

It is a cloudy gold. It poured with a nice frothy head that dissolved into a thin white lace. There were also bits of yeast to be seen swimming in the beer.

It had a sweet floral smell. A bit grassy.

It tastes of flowers, with some spicy notes. It's not overwhelmingly spicy. There is a nice sweetness as well.

This beer has a chalky yeast feel. It is full bodied with a pleasant carbonation.

This beer was a chance in my cellar since the abv isn't that high. It didn't get any better, but I can't determine that it got much worse. This is my last bottle of this since it was replaced by the Tank 7.

3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

the cork popped with a good amount of pressure, surprising for the 2 years since it was conditioned. pours a hazy, light straw color with a prominent creamy head. right of the bat, the nose is filled with subtle citrus, a lemon zest almost, and some earthy spice. a good amount of malt comes through as well. on the tongue it is very dry and very spicy. the carbonation explodes through the gulp, releasing more lemon, leaving behind a cloying bite of spice. as it warmed up, the citrus definitely went down while getting more yeasty and slightly chemical. nail polish? gulped it down quickly after that.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a lightly hazy straw topped by a large, creamy white head.

Aromas of light, clean citrus on the nose, surprisingly hoppy. This was tasted alongside six or seven other saisons, and the hoppiness became even more apparent when compared to the other offerings.

Very light on the palate, smooth and rounded and almost--almost--watery. Flavors of lemon peel and earthy pepper. Manages, however, to stay perfectly thin and quaffable, though not quite quenching.

A good saison, though I'm not terribly disappointed that Boulevard will be replacing this with Tank 7.

===

Re-reviewed 07.16.2010. Batch Number S7332

Very exuberant pop upon uncorking, with the cork flying across the room. Oops. Pours a hazy golden straw topped by a large foamy white head with good staying power. Very lively. Clears up eventually, becoming very bright.

Aromas of lemon peel, herbs, spice (coriander?), and sweet grain. Sweet on the whole but with an undercurrent of must.

On the palate this is surprisingly dry. There's some sweet fruit up front, followed briefly by juicy caramel, and then the beer seems to disappear with a quick, short, dry finish. Much more rustic than the nose suggests. The second time I've had this, but I'm surprised how good it is. My saison experience is limited, but this is closest to what I think a saison should be. Tasty, quenching, and I'd imagine somewhat restorative.

Medium to full bodied, firm and dense but sprightly carbonated. I can't seem to put this down.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Neat-o! A retired BLVD Smokestack tick! The girlfriend bought this some months ago while we were in Indianapolis. It sat around since then. She called while she was on her way home from work, asking me to have a beer ready. So I decided it was time for this one to be opened.

Poured into a Parra Duvel tulip.

Appearance
This saison is surprisingly clear. Its a perfectly clear, honey-hued yellow. A big, billowy white head tops it off. This is a Boulevard Smokestack, so a huge head is to be expected. Copious lacing.

Aroma
Pretty typical of a saison, I think. Although this one edges just above normalcy in the smell department. Tons and tons of ripe apple juice along with pear and some peach. Yeast esters are prevalent; lots of clove and chalky earthiness.

Taste
The taste is very nice. Its light and breezy; loaded with fruit juice flavors. Apple takes the show, but doesn't overpower other fruitiness like pear. The flavor starts out sweet and juicy, it then really cranks up the spicy yeast character. LOTS of spice, clove and white pepper on the finish. When it warms slightly a new level of fruitiness comes out. In a very Fantome way, strawberry makes an appearance. I really enjoy how the beer has these two facets that blend together. Alcohol, while low, can be tasted at the very back, but only as it warms and only if you look for it.

Mouthfeel
Carbonation is somewhere about medium, for the style (which I typically expect higher levels of carbonation from). The body is a touch fuller than it looks, but it still remains easily within the mid-range. Dryness is modest, this beer is mostly juicy.

Overall
A very nice saison. Its both very fruity and very spicy. Complexity is in no short supply here. At the time I thought this beer was not the wisest purchase. Now I'm glad we got to try it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I just picked this beer up as Specs last night. I have been pretty happy with the smokestack series of beers from Boulevard, so I hoped that this would be no exception. Seeing that it got an A- out of over 200 reviews is promising...but I shant let that influence me. Away we go...

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orange-juice color with a big fluffy white creamy looking head on top that is a solid inch and looks like it has no intention of going anywhere. There are tons of bubbles rising, so the head couldn't leave if it wanted to. After the head finally starts to fall and you drink some of the beer, the liquid starts to clear up some and there is some solid lacing left on the glass. This has turned out to be a pretty nice looking beer.

Aroma: I initially got some dry wheat-grain notes along with lemon zest and a pretty healthy amount of hops. This is through the foam. The hops are definitely a big player in the aroma of this beer and are giving some defined spicy Saaz notes along with what seems like a common British variety...like EKG or something.

Taste: The flavor is also pretty hoppy for this style...I think. I have never had a commercial one this hoppy, but this may be OK as this is a rather wide style as far as guidelines go. There is some lemon zest in the flavor along with a bitter orange peel flavor that may just be my perception of American bittering hops in here mixed with the Saaz bouquet. Overall the mouthfeel is light to medium with tons of carbonation. The malt is in the beginning of the flavor profile, but the bittering is running the show in the finish and to linger for quite some time. After about half the bottle, I am warming up a bit, but otherwise the alcohol only contributes a bit of prickling on the back of the throat to co-exist and ultimately enhance the bittering. An unusual presentation for a Saison.

Opinion: Well, as far as beer goes, this is a pretty good one, but I think that it is more like a Belgian Pale meets American Pale medley that leans toward the American side with the balance. It is a pretty good beer, but it certainly isn't trying very hard to be a Saison. If you like American Pales for the most part, but enjoy a Belgian beer now-and-again...give this a shot. If you are a big fan of Dupont or the likes...you will probably be disappointed.

3.33/5  rDev -17%

I got one of these from OakedCanuck.... but I also got one when I went back to visit my family back in the Indiana. I'm happy to get to try this beer that is now retired and will never return. That's a shame... C'est le vie...

I guess this is basically "Saison Brett"... but without the brett.

A: VERY cloudy dark yellow color, with a rather anemic 1/2 finger head that basically gave me a few bubbles on top of the brew.... but that's about it.

S: Mild citrus and spices, but with a great deal of plastic. Something tells me that this brew was but a shell of what it once was.

T: Same as the taste, but the aftertaste is worth writing about: watery actually.... as opposed to a nice spicy citrus presentation like "Tank 7."

M: Fairly thin, but I've definitely had worse. The carbonation was fairly low, but it probably wasn't at its conception.

D: I'm glad I got to try this retired brew. I only wish I got to sample it in its prime...

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottle into Duvel tulip...

Huge fluffy white 4 finger head sits atop a clear straw colored gold body. Enormous chunks of lacing. Nice looking beer.

Smells of dry rye bread, spices?, and Belgian yeast. A nice funk is present-- and delicious. Hay and barnyard notes. Fresh, bright, and citrusy... Not musty or dank. The taste is just as the nose foretold. Very very tasty. I have another bottle of this that I plan on saving for a few more years.

Body is medium-- loads of carbonation. Very easy to drink and bubbly on the way down. This is drinking very nicely now.

Decided to pop open this beer I have been aging for a little while.

It appears hazy orange with a large off-white foamy head.

It smells slightly citrus like: I get strong lemon and orange like smells coming from the beer. There is a slight malty sweet smell and a bit of fruity and peppery yeast smell from the beer as well. Strangely I get a bit of a white wine earthy smell from the beer.

It tastes initially of lemon and other citrus fruits. There is a slight malty sweet flavor and a bit of earthy dirt like flavor. There is the stereotypical and strong fruity and peppery yeasty flavor to the beer. This is a pretty good classical version of a saison.

There is ample carbonation and it has a thin mouthfeel.

The drinkability is fairly good. It goes down fairly smooth though I have had a few saisons that were easier to drink.

Overall a pretty good beer that added quite well.

4.38/5  rDev +9.2%

750ml corked and caged bottle poured into 1st rev. Smokestack Series glass

A: Hazy straw in color with a large white fluffy head that has nice retention and leaves a beautiful lacing behind. Quite hazy with some sediment.

S: Pretty typical Belgian farmhouse aromas ... citrusy, spicy, peppery, biscuity, musty. It's quite complex but doesn't really stand out here. As it warms, it gets a little more peppery and the fruit (lemon and apple) begin to dominate. This is done well.

T: The taste is very yeasty, which plays nicely with the citrus and barnyard complexities. Much like the smell, as it warms, the spiciness and peppery notes come to the fore, and a little more fruit makes its presence known. This got better and better as it warmed, just slightly.

M: A little on the lighter side with soft carbonation, and drier than I had expected. The alcohol content is hidden perfectly, which makes this almost too easy to drink.

Overall: Although this was an excellent saison, I remember it being better when I had it about two years ago. I think I let this one go past its prime, but all things considered, it held its own and was a perfectly enjoyable saison. If this was still available, it'd be one that I'd go back to again and again.

Saison from Boulevard Brewing Co.