Saison - Boulevard Brewing Co.

SaisonSaison

rAvg: 4
Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Rio on 03-01-2005

4.42/5  rDev +10.5%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip glass. This pours a hazy light yellow color with a massive white head. The smells are great, banana, yeast esters, bubble gum, spices, some sweet malts. The feel is medium to thin. The taste is pretty great, semi sweet and light, lots of Belgian esters, fruit, citrus, good stuff.

4.5/5  rDev +12.5%

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

BIG thanks to hannydawg for this beloved extra! According to the batch code, this was bottled Aug 16th, 2008. Wicked!

Pours a very hazy, medium orange color. Much hazier than Tank 7. The head isn't out of control. With a controlled pour, you can get a slight and massive head alike...which is nice to me. Aroma is fruity, with a little funk and even still some floral, grassy hops. There's some maltiness, almost nutty sweet. The taste has a nice surprising bit of hoppiness to it. Slight bitterness, with some earthy grass. Fruity yeasty notes are noticeable, along with a good funky barnyard note. Slight sweet nutty note as well. It's slick with a bit of creaminess, but it's still got a nice carbonation note too.

Really glad I got to try this, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It will remain on my wants.

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

750ml bottle (batch S8317) poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a clear and bright golden straw color tinted with amber. Three fingers of thick, dense and whipped creamy white head shows outstanding staying power lasting for several minutes and dying slowly with tons of webby lacing left on the glass.

S - Super citrusy...filled with oranges, some lemons and limes. Spicy with some black pepper present, grainy malt, a bit yeasty. Love the citrus dominated aroma here.

T - A bit different than I was expecting from the aroma. Quite dry overall with some good earthiness at the base, grassy and bitter hoppiness - clean and crisp, touches of black pepper. Lemons and limes are noticeable but not approaching the dominance of the aroma. Lightly grainy and wheaty for a malt presence.

M - Very dry and crisp...well attenuated - practically no residual sweetness here. Very high carbonation level that gives a huge tingle and a bit of a foaming action in the mouth thru to the swallow.

O - Sat on this one in the cellar for a while...definitely worth the wait. Well balanced, full of flavor and complex...sad that this one won't be made again. Another excellent saison from Boulevard.

3.5/5  rDev -12.5%

4.25/5  rDev +6.3%

4.18/5  rDev +4.5%

I was nervous to try this because the beer was really old, but I said screw it and bought it.

I poured it out into a Duvel tulip class and it had a lot of carbonation like a champagne. The head pours very thick too.
The smell of this beer is very nice too. I pick up a lot of sweetness, fruitiness and a slight bit of hops.
The taste is very nice. I pick up a nice bit of malt, some sweetness and a very mild after taste of hops. This is by far the smoothest beer I have ever had. With as huge of a head as it had, I didnt expect such smoothness.

Overall this beer was a nice find. I was nervous to drink this beer because it was over two years old, but it has aged well. I am grateful I got to try this beer before there are no more.

3.61/5  rDev -9.8%

This is a 4 year old bottle from my cellar.
Poured into a tulip.

It is a cloudy gold. It poured with a nice frothy head that dissolved into a thin white lace. There were also bits of yeast to be seen swimming in the beer.

It had a sweet floral smell. A bit grassy.

It tastes of flowers, with some spicy notes. It's not overwhelmingly spicy. There is a nice sweetness as well.

This beer has a chalky yeast feel. It is full bodied with a pleasant carbonation.

This beer was a chance in my cellar since the abv isn't that high. It didn't get any better, but I can't determine that it got much worse. This is my last bottle of this since it was replaced by the Tank 7.

3.53/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

the cork popped with a good amount of pressure, surprising for the 2 years since it was conditioned. pours a hazy, light straw color with a prominent creamy head. right of the bat, the nose is filled with subtle citrus, a lemon zest almost, and some earthy spice. a good amount of malt comes through as well. on the tongue it is very dry and very spicy. the carbonation explodes through the gulp, releasing more lemon, leaving behind a cloying bite of spice. as it warmed up, the citrus definitely went down while getting more yeasty and slightly chemical. nail polish? gulped it down quickly after that.

4.47/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a lightly hazy straw topped by a large, creamy white head.

Aromas of light, clean citrus on the nose, surprisingly hoppy. This was tasted alongside six or seven other saisons, and the hoppiness became even more apparent when compared to the other offerings.

Very light on the palate, smooth and rounded and almost--almost--watery. Flavors of lemon peel and earthy pepper. Manages, however, to stay perfectly thin and quaffable, though not quite quenching.

A good saison, though I'm not terribly disappointed that Boulevard will be replacing this with Tank 7.

===

Re-reviewed 07.16.2010. Batch Number S7332

Very exuberant pop upon uncorking, with the cork flying across the room. Oops. Pours a hazy golden straw topped by a large foamy white head with good staying power. Very lively. Clears up eventually, becoming very bright.

Aromas of lemon peel, herbs, spice (coriander?), and sweet grain. Sweet on the whole but with an undercurrent of must.

On the palate this is surprisingly dry. There's some sweet fruit up front, followed briefly by juicy caramel, and then the beer seems to disappear with a quick, short, dry finish. Much more rustic than the nose suggests. The second time I've had this, but I'm surprised how good it is. My saison experience is limited, but this is closest to what I think a saison should be. Tasty, quenching, and I'd imagine somewhat restorative.

Medium to full bodied, firm and dense but sprightly carbonated. I can't seem to put this down.

3.98/5  rDev -0.5%

Neat-o! A retired BLVD Smokestack tick! The girlfriend bought this some months ago while we were in Indianapolis. It sat around since then. She called while she was on her way home from work, asking me to have a beer ready. So I decided it was time for this one to be opened.

Poured into a Parra Duvel tulip.

Appearance
This saison is surprisingly clear. Its a perfectly clear, honey-hued yellow. A big, billowy white head tops it off. This is a Boulevard Smokestack, so a huge head is to be expected. Copious lacing.

Aroma
Pretty typical of a saison, I think. Although this one edges just above normalcy in the smell department. Tons and tons of ripe apple juice along with pear and some peach. Yeast esters are prevalent; lots of clove and chalky earthiness.

Taste
The taste is very nice. Its light and breezy; loaded with fruit juice flavors. Apple takes the show, but doesn't overpower other fruitiness like pear. The flavor starts out sweet and juicy, it then really cranks up the spicy yeast character. LOTS of spice, clove and white pepper on the finish. When it warms slightly a new level of fruitiness comes out. In a very Fantome way, strawberry makes an appearance. I really enjoy how the beer has these two facets that blend together. Alcohol, while low, can be tasted at the very back, but only as it warms and only if you look for it.

Mouthfeel
Carbonation is somewhere about medium, for the style (which I typically expect higher levels of carbonation from). The body is a touch fuller than it looks, but it still remains easily within the mid-range. Dryness is modest, this beer is mostly juicy.

Overall
A very nice saison. Its both very fruity and very spicy. Complexity is in no short supply here. At the time I thought this beer was not the wisest purchase. Now I'm glad we got to try it.

3.51/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I just picked this beer up as Specs last night. I have been pretty happy with the smokestack series of beers from Boulevard, so I hoped that this would be no exception. Seeing that it got an A- out of over 200 reviews is promising...but I shant let that influence me. Away we go...

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orange-juice color with a big fluffy white creamy looking head on top that is a solid inch and looks like it has no intention of going anywhere. There are tons of bubbles rising, so the head couldn't leave if it wanted to. After the head finally starts to fall and you drink some of the beer, the liquid starts to clear up some and there is some solid lacing left on the glass. This has turned out to be a pretty nice looking beer.

Aroma: I initially got some dry wheat-grain notes along with lemon zest and a pretty healthy amount of hops. This is through the foam. The hops are definitely a big player in the aroma of this beer and are giving some defined spicy Saaz notes along with what seems like a common British variety...like EKG or something.

Taste: The flavor is also pretty hoppy for this style...I think. I have never had a commercial one this hoppy, but this may be OK as this is a rather wide style as far as guidelines go. There is some lemon zest in the flavor along with a bitter orange peel flavor that may just be my perception of American bittering hops in here mixed with the Saaz bouquet. Overall the mouthfeel is light to medium with tons of carbonation. The malt is in the beginning of the flavor profile, but the bittering is running the show in the finish and to linger for quite some time. After about half the bottle, I am warming up a bit, but otherwise the alcohol only contributes a bit of prickling on the back of the throat to co-exist and ultimately enhance the bittering. An unusual presentation for a Saison.

Opinion: Well, as far as beer goes, this is a pretty good one, but I think that it is more like a Belgian Pale meets American Pale medley that leans toward the American side with the balance. It is a pretty good beer, but it certainly isn't trying very hard to be a Saison. If you like American Pales for the most part, but enjoy a Belgian beer now-and-again...give this a shot. If you are a big fan of Dupont or the likes...you will probably be disappointed.

3.3/5  rDev -17.5%

I got one of these from OakedCanuck.... but I also got one when I went back to visit my family back in the Indiana. I'm happy to get to try this beer that is now retired and will never return. That's a shame... C'est le vie...

I guess this is basically "Saison Brett"... but without the brett.

A: VERY cloudy dark yellow color, with a rather anemic 1/2 finger head that basically gave me a few bubbles on top of the brew.... but that's about it.

S: Mild citrus and spices, but with a great deal of plastic. Something tells me that this brew was but a shell of what it once was.

T: Same as the taste, but the aftertaste is worth writing about: watery actually.... as opposed to a nice spicy citrus presentation like "Tank 7."

M: Fairly thin, but I've definitely had worse. The carbonation was fairly low, but it probably wasn't at its conception.

D: I'm glad I got to try this retired brew. I only wish I got to sample it in its prime...

Saison from Boulevard Brewing Co.