ZÔN - Boulevard Brewing Co.

ZÔNZÔN

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  4.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

Boulevard’s summer seasonal is our interpretation of a classic Belgian witbier. ZŌN (Flemish for “sun”) combines the subtle flavors of coriander and orange peel with other traditional ingredients to create a delightful, refreshing summertime brew.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2002)

4.65/5  rDev +31.7%

Some of the first craft/local beer that got me involved in the biz, found only close to Kansas City, Mo area. "(AAAGGGHHH!) why must you hold me captive here in New England!!!"

Found at local store close to Kansas/Oklahoma boarder (go figure near Oklahoma and it's homebrew laws...)

Friut/tart on first touch to lip, like most wit's nice balenced feel in mouth, and finshes with a "witty" reminder. Would comment more but words pale in compareson, and fail to do this beer justice.
"quite proper"
j.f.

4.6/5  rDev +30.3%

4.53/5  rDev +28.3%

I was fortunate enough to go on the Boulevard brewery tour while I was in KC recently. The tour was not very informative as far as beer tours go, but the tasting at the end was excellent and turned me onto several beers that I had not heard of.

I bought a 6 pack of this beer after the tour and took it home. I served it in a pint glass. There are a few beers that I say you can just smell forever. And people comment to me sometimes how long i smell some beers before I taste them, this was one of them. The beer was light in color and cloudy. The smell was amazing, a mixture of yeast and the sweet ether smell associated with some belgian styles. It went down smooth and had very little after taste. This beer was excellent. Wit is not my favorite style, but there was no citrus aftertaste sometime associated with some Wit beers. It was great.

4.48/5  rDev +26.9%

Spending some time in southern Illinois a few years back, I got to sample some of the regional brews, with this baby easily being the most memorable. It is close to the classic witbeer formulation, but with a subtle difference that is hard to describe - more full bodied, perhaps? Whatever it is, it most definitely works. Great citrusy flavor on top of a refined malt. This can be considered to be the American answer to the great Belgian Hoegaarden. And did I mention how cloudy it is? Can't beer a real wheat beer without being cloudy!

As I understand it, this is only a seasonal beer - summer, of course - and boy what a session beer for a hot humid American summer day! I could see being at an all day 4th of July picnic knocking down a six-pack (or two, if not driving!) with no problem. I just wish it were sold outside of Missouri and its bordering states.

4.47/5  rDev +26.6%

As much as I've come to love the darker varieties, I'm glad to see that witbier is once again in season. There's nothing quite like downing more than a few [craft brewed] light and refreshing beverages amongst friends.

The appearance is a VERY cloudy, nearly opaque yellow with a thin and even coat of white head. From the looks, it reminds me of a real fruit juice or something, and the mouthfeel tends to second that notion. It looks exactly like I would expect a witbier to look.

The smell is of coriander and orange peel with a light dosage of hops. Also a yeasty/bready aroma. The smell is quite inviting. I could tell from the first whiff that this was going to be one hell of a refresher, though that was expected before I even had the beer out of the store.

The taste is very citrusy. Tastes like lemon and orange with a bit of wheat malt sweetness tucked in the middle and finished off by a light dosage of hops and clove spiciness. Quite tasty, and cures even the harshest case of cotton mouth rather than leaving a dry, ashy aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is kind of thick and creamy. Seems to be at both the perfect level for the style and at the perfect level for my tastes. Reveals an interesting range of flavors when swished around the mouth. I might just have to drink a shit ton of this stuff during the summer. This brew tends to get a fairly bad rep around here, even among Boulevard fans, but I find it to be just as good as their other seasonal offerings and even better than their year round offerings with the exception of the Bully! Porter. Try some for yourself if you can.

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

It had been a few years since I had this beer, so I decided to add this beer to a mix and match 6 pack from my local liquor store. Poured the bottle into a standard pint glass, and immediately was hit by the smell of coriander, slight orange peel, and clove.

The beer has the classic witbier pale straw color, and had a nice 3 finger head that quickly dissipated and left little to no lacing. Be sure and follow the label on the bottle since this is an unfiltered beer (not to mention the fact that boulevard bottle conditions their beers) - no swirl, and your not getting the full experience as the yeast add definite flavor to the beer.

The beer tastes much better than I remember...maybe I've just grown to like this style better with age. It tastes like it smells - coriander, clove, slight malty sweetness, a bit of orange peel...overall, a good representation of the style.

It's boulevard's summer seasonal beer, and a fantastic choice as a summer beer in Kansas City. I had this beer after spending an hour in 100 degree heat (with some nice humidity to make it even more fun) taking care of our horse, and I can tell you the low alcohol level is wonderful in the beer. This is a definite hot weather, session beer.

My only regret is that I bought on 2 bottles of Zon in my mix and match 6 pack, and my wife has already drank the other bottle.

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a pale, cloudy yellow color with a thin milky head. The smell is typical for a beer of the style; spicy phenols, banana, clove, orange peel, corriander and some yeast breadyness. The taste almost reminds me of an orange-banana juice. The corriander and orange peel are just right, there is a slight hop bitterness but no apparent hop flavor. The mouthfeel is light in body and the carbonation has a creaminess about it. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. It tastes great, would be excellent on a hot day and the low ABV makes it a very sessionable beer.

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%

4.4/5  rDev +24.6%

12 oz bottle (best by 08/22/09) poured into a flute, ZÔN is a hazy straw yellow with a quickly fizzling white head.

Smell is good nice fruity esters indicative of an authentic wit strain, a little sourness from the wheat.

Taste is pretty good, this is very much in the classic style that I think the average US beer drinker would miss, sorry! A bit grainy, sweet, with a hint of orange and coriander but overall showing great restraint with the spices, really my taste in the style for sure. This is not supposed to be a flavor bomb, and it isn't - but it's damn good.

Mouthfeel is smooth, light but not thin, with a nice dry crispness that adds to the refreshingness.

Drinkability is great - I love this style of beer, and judging by the scores, it's obviously very misunderstood. Bummer. I can drink these all summer long (and in fact do, from a very similar home brewed version).

4.38/5  rDev +24.1%

Poured a cloudy straw yellow with less head than expected. Looks like a nice creamy Wit.

S: Yeast and orange. Ok. Nothing great and nothing offensive.

T: Initially, I was not fond of this, as it came across lacking in orange peel and coriander. As I continued to drink it the spices that were expected come through. Although, not in every drink, which is weird. The beer does taste pleasant as I get farther down the pint glass.

M: One thing I like in a Wit is a creamy mouthfeel and that is present in this beer. Good carbonation to go along the creamy mouthfeel.

D: Drinkability is excellent. A first year sorority girl could pound these, at least for a few minutes!

4.35/5  rDev +23.2%

My encounter with this Zon (still not sure how to pronounce it) was a welcome encounter indeed. A friend of mine bought a variety pack and let me choose one, so i grabbed the Zon. I drank it straight from the bottle, and it was a pretty tasty beer. This was the first witbier i had ever had, and i was very impressed.

It had a very smooth taste. Lightly sweetened, and not really bitter at all. It smelt a bit fruity and sweet. The feel was kinda thick, but not syurpy.

4.33/5  rDev +22.7%

Had on tap at a local restaurant, reviewing from notes

A: Hazy light gold with a thin, quickly vanishing head.

S: Lemon and Coriander, yeast

T/M: Wheaty yeast flavors with a liberal amount of the lemon and coriander. Delicious crisp, carbonated finish. This beer just tastes like summer to me.

D: Very high! The low ABV make it very sesssionable while the flavors make me want to keep reaching for another. This is a cool style of summer beer- of of my favorites.

4.28/5  rDev +21.2%

Pours a hazy golden colour with a very, nice little head. Citrus and yeast on the nose. Flavors are a subdued citrus that are mixed in with a tad of spiciness and a whisp of banana. This merges into a creamy, delicious refreshing wit. I wish this were local. Great, especially summertime, thirst quencher or overall session brew. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

ZÔN from Boulevard Brewing Co.