ZÔN - Boulevard Brewing Co.

ZÔNZÔN

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Witbier |  4.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-24-2002

Boulevard’s summer seasonal is our interpretation of a classic Belgian witbier. ZŌN (Flemish for “sun”) combines the subtle flavors of coriander and orange peel with other traditional ingredients to create a delightful, refreshing summertime brew.

4.62/5  rDev +27.6%

Some of the first craft/local beer that got me involved in the biz, found only close to Kansas City, Mo area. "(AAAGGGHHH!) why must you hold me captive here in New England!!!"

Found at local store close to Kansas/Oklahoma boarder (go figure near Oklahoma and it's homebrew laws...)

Friut/tart on first touch to lip, like most wit's nice balenced feel in mouth, and finshes with a "witty" reminder. Would comment more but words pale in compareson, and fail to do this beer justice.
"quite proper"
j.f. (504 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.7%

I was fortunate enough to go on the Boulevard brewery tour while I was in KC recently. The tour was not very informative as far as beer tours go, but the tasting at the end was excellent and turned me onto several beers that I had not heard of.

I bought a 6 pack of this beer after the tour and took it home. I served it in a pint glass. There are a few beers that I say you can just smell forever. And people comment to me sometimes how long i smell some beers before I taste them, this was one of them. The beer was light in color and cloudy. The smell was amazing, a mixture of yeast and the sweet ether smell associated with some belgian styles. It went down smooth and had very little after taste. This beer was excellent. Wit is not my favorite style, but there was no citrus aftertaste sometime associated with some Wit beers. It was great. (849 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +23.8%

Spending some time in southern Illinois a few years back, I got to sample some of the regional brews, with this baby easily being the most memorable. It is close to the classic witbeer formulation, but with a subtle difference that is hard to describe - more full bodied, perhaps? Whatever it is, it most definitely works. Great citrusy flavor on top of a refined malt. This can be considered to be the American answer to the great Belgian Hoegaarden. And did I mention how cloudy it is? Can't beer a real wheat beer without being cloudy!

As I understand it, this is only a seasonal beer - summer, of course - and boy what a session beer for a hot humid American summer day! I could see being at an all day 4th of July picnic knocking down a six-pack (or two, if not driving!) with no problem. I just wish it were sold outside of Missouri and its bordering states. (865 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +22.9%

As much as I've come to love the darker varieties, I'm glad to see that witbier is once again in season. There's nothing quite like downing more than a few [craft brewed] light and refreshing beverages amongst friends.

The appearance is a VERY cloudy, nearly opaque yellow with a thin and even coat of white head. From the looks, it reminds me of a real fruit juice or something, and the mouthfeel tends to second that notion. It looks exactly like I would expect a witbier to look.

The smell is of coriander and orange peel with a light dosage of hops. Also a yeasty/bready aroma. The smell is quite inviting. I could tell from the first whiff that this was going to be one hell of a refresher, though that was expected before I even had the beer out of the store.

The taste is very citrusy. Tastes like lemon and orange with a bit of wheat malt sweetness tucked in the middle and finished off by a light dosage of hops and clove spiciness. Quite tasty, and cures even the harshest case of cotton mouth rather than leaving a dry, ashy aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is kind of thick and creamy. Seems to be at both the perfect level for the style and at the perfect level for my tastes. Reveals an interesting range of flavors when swished around the mouth. I might just have to drink a shit ton of this stuff during the summer. This brew tends to get a fairly bad rep around here, even among Boulevard fans, but I find it to be just as good as their other seasonal offerings and even better than their year round offerings with the exception of the Bully! Porter. Try some for yourself if you can. (1,606 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +22.1%

It had been a few years since I had this beer, so I decided to add this beer to a mix and match 6 pack from my local liquor store. Poured the bottle into a standard pint glass, and immediately was hit by the smell of coriander, slight orange peel, and clove.

The beer has the classic witbier pale straw color, and had a nice 3 finger head that quickly dissipated and left little to no lacing. Be sure and follow the label on the bottle since this is an unfiltered beer (not to mention the fact that boulevard bottle conditions their beers) - no swirl, and your not getting the full experience as the yeast add definite flavor to the beer.

The beer tastes much better than I remember...maybe I've just grown to like this style better with age. It tastes like it smells - coriander, clove, slight malty sweetness, a bit of orange peel...overall, a good representation of the style.

It's boulevard's summer seasonal beer, and a fantastic choice as a summer beer in Kansas City. I had this beer after spending an hour in 100 degree heat (with some nice humidity to make it even more fun) taking care of our horse, and I can tell you the low alcohol level is wonderful in the beer. This is a definite hot weather, session beer.

My only regret is that I bought on 2 bottles of Zon in my mix and match 6 pack, and my wife has already drank the other bottle. (1,356 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a pale, cloudy yellow color with a thin milky head. The smell is typical for a beer of the style; spicy phenols, banana, clove, orange peel, corriander and some yeast breadyness. The taste almost reminds me of an orange-banana juice. The corriander and orange peel are just right, there is a slight hop bitterness but no apparent hop flavor. The mouthfeel is light in body and the carbonation has a creaminess about it. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. It tastes great, would be excellent on a hot day and the low ABV makes it a very sessionable beer. (608 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz bottle (best by 08/22/09) poured into a flute, ZÔN is a hazy straw yellow with a quickly fizzling white head.

Smell is good nice fruity esters indicative of an authentic wit strain, a little sourness from the wheat.

Taste is pretty good, this is very much in the classic style that I think the average US beer drinker would miss, sorry! A bit grainy, sweet, with a hint of orange and coriander but overall showing great restraint with the spices, really my taste in the style for sure. This is not supposed to be a flavor bomb, and it isn't - but it's damn good.

Mouthfeel is smooth, light but not thin, with a nice dry crispness that adds to the refreshingness.

Drinkability is great - I love this style of beer, and judging by the scores, it's obviously very misunderstood. Bummer. I can drink these all summer long (and in fact do, from a very similar home brewed version). (889 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

My encounter with this Zon (still not sure how to pronounce it) was a welcome encounter indeed. A friend of mine bought a variety pack and let me choose one, so i grabbed the Zon. I drank it straight from the bottle, and it was a pretty tasty beer. This was the first witbier i had ever had, and i was very impressed.

It had a very smooth taste. Lightly sweetened, and not really bitter at all. It smelt a bit fruity and sweet. The feel was kinda thick, but not syurpy. (471 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured a cloudy straw yellow with less head than expected. Looks like a nice creamy Wit.

S: Yeast and orange. Ok. Nothing great and nothing offensive.

T: Initially, I was not fond of this, as it came across lacking in orange peel and coriander. As I continued to drink it the spices that were expected come through. Although, not in every drink, which is weird. The beer does taste pleasant as I get farther down the pint glass.

M: One thing I like in a Wit is a creamy mouthfeel and that is present in this beer. Good carbonation to go along the creamy mouthfeel.

D: Drinkability is excellent. A first year sorority girl could pound these, at least for a few minutes! (673 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Had on tap at a local restaurant, reviewing from notes

A: Hazy light gold with a thin, quickly vanishing head.

S: Lemon and Coriander, yeast

T/M: Wheaty yeast flavors with a liberal amount of the lemon and coriander. Delicious crisp, carbonated finish. This beer just tastes like summer to me.

D: Very high! The low ABV make it very sesssionable while the flavors make me want to keep reaching for another. This is a cool style of summer beer- of of my favorites. (468 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle at Blanc Bottles + Burgers in Kansas City. Stamped with a best by date of 10.16.14 as well as a Julian date for those who prefer to know the bottling date, but I'm too lazy to figure it out. This is my first of this season's release, so I know it's pretty fresh. Poured into a classic 16 oz tumbler glass.

Appearance - Pour yields a glowing sunny yellow with just the faintest hints of amber where the light doesn't pass through as easily. Atop the body sits a one finger head that dissipates surprisingly quickly, leaving a healthy half finger ringlet around the edge of the glass and a few bits of film across the surface of the liquid. No lacing to speak of as I drink it down. I really do love the day-glo color of this beer, but wish it had a more beautiful show of head.

Smell - I've always loved the gentle but well-spiced aroma of this beer. If you aren't into spiced beers or wits in general, I could see why it would be offputting, because it's rich and unapologetic, but it also manages to be soft, like baking bread, even though I know that sounds somewhat contradictory. Orange zest, coriander and herbal highlights that bring to mind sage and lavender make up the aroma.

Taste - As with the aroma, I'm a bit of a sucker for the taste.With the very spice-forward aroma, you expect to take a swallow to be assaulted by coriander and Belgian yeast esters, but it's surprisingly restrained, but in an awesome way. The coriander combines with the orange peel to provide a considerable citrus vein running through, but it's gentle and refreshing--it makes me think of what a beer called Orange Julius might taste like, but not as sweet as that name would belie. Of course, there is a nice bit of sweetness to tie this beer together, but it's far from overpowering, offering just enought complement to the spicy citrus core.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and moderate carbonation, but with a juicy, almost creamy mouthfeel.

Overall, one of my favorite beers from Boulevard. I know it's not a crowd favorite, but it's one of the earliest craft beers I remember as being a game-changer for my perspective on craft beer. Finally reviewing it after all these years in order to encourage others- to give it a go. (2,250 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Pours a hazy golden colour with a very, nice little head. Citrus and yeast on the nose. Flavors are a subdued citrus that are mixed in with a tad of spiciness and a whisp of banana. This merges into a creamy, delicious refreshing wit. I wish this were local. Great, especially summertime, thirst quencher or overall session brew. Thanks to jhammerly for the bottle (364 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +17.4%

Like the wheat, this brew comes to you with a bright yellow color and white foamy head. The aroma is quite tangy with a greater hint of banana than the German wheat. The flavor is a bit lighter than the German wheat, but still tasty and refreshing. There is a quick latent hop bitter bite. Not my favorite white, but a very good representation. (348 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a becker glass.

A: Hazy, pale golden color with over one finger of fluffy white foam head. Light lacing remains on the glass.

S: Aggressively bready, showing a bold combination of wheat and yeast. A strong but balanced coriander presence lends savoriness, leaving an earthy impression that matches well with the bread notes.

T: Begins off-dry, with wheat-imbued malt and Meyer lemon flesh. Acidity is moderate, citric in nature and fleeting in duration. Savory yeast and coriander fill the middle. Bready yeast stretches into the finish, where lemony flavors regroup alongside mild leafy bitterness.

M: Medium viscosity, wet yet coherent on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Full of delicious and style-appropriate flavor, this seasonal wit from Boulevard came as a pleasant and unexpected surprise. With no new moves to display, it is instead like an old friend that has returned after too long. It is capable of reminding even a jaded beer enthusiast of what they used to like about the style, before they moved on to more extreme terrain. Simply a delight. (1,107 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer has a great refreshing taste with a nose of coriander and a hint of orange peel. The color is a cloudy upon pouring and tends to clear up a little after settling. Not much body, with a thin fast disappearing white head. I really enjoy this style of witbier boulevard seasonally produces and is great during the hot summer months of Kansas City. (354 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Bought a Boulevard 12- Mix Pack w/ GeoffTheAleMan @ Dierbergs in Creve Couer, MO for $15.49. Poured from the Bright Blue bottle with ZON in yellow into my 0,47l New Belgium Tulip Glass and has BEST BY 11/01/11 on front.

Aroma- Nice banana and medium sweetness from the malt. Has a bit of citrus but mostly has this sweet/herbal smell all the way through. Has also a peppery and spice in here.

Appearance- Pours a 3 fingers that stay for a decent amount of time. Has a cloudy but good for style, medium orange colored body and leaves good sudsy lacing on the glass.

Flavor- Very nice orange/citrus beginning with good character and moderate sweetness. Peppery and light spiciness follow up this taste and has a medium hop bitterness. Very different for this style!

Mouthfeel- Medium Bodied, Medium-High Carbonation, Smooth, Creamy, and nice acidic finish. Effervescent and refreshing!

Overall Impression- Such a nice refreshing Witbier! Awesome taste and mouthfeel! I enjoy seeing this spice and peppery feel in this one with good citrus tastes. Will be looking for again! My first time enjoying and am a huge fan. (1,122 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%

Appearance: True to the style, this was a washed out yellow beer that had a white appearance to it. Even with an aggressive pour, the fizzy, coarse white head only rose up to about one finger. It was gone within the minute. By the time I had taken a few drinks, there was not a trace of it left.

Smell: This beer had a very lively aroma that consisted of strong, slightly sweet grains, oranges, cloves and coriander.

Mouthfeel: A little on the thin side, but the grain presence still gives it some chewiness. This was not a rough beer, but it did have a lot of tingle to it, on both the tongue and the cheeks.

Taste: The flavors were a mix of everything that was present in the aroma. Upfront was a slight sweetness that quickly gave was to a citrus bite. That was also when the spices made their presence known. Then, on the finish, the wheat and grain flavors developed. They were chewy and really filled the mouth. On a few of the drinks I could detect just a hint of bitterness, but those tastes were few and far between.

I look forward to this seasonal from Boulevard every year. This is some good beer. (1,120 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a tight white head of moderate duration and minimal lacing. Color is a murky whitish-yellow. Aroma is full of fruity esters with a healthy hint of vanilla and spice. Creamy, tangy, sharp and spicy all at first sip! The creaminess really sticks with you here, with the vanilla hints lingering nicely also. Mouthfeel is smooth, punctuated by the sharp, spicy yeastiness. Malt backbone is firm yet subtle, this is not a big beer . . . I just wanna say “all of your papers seem to be in order sir, we’ll find a spot for you in First Class!” One of the most approachable interpretations of the style I’ve had in some years, close enough to a Bavarian Hefeweizen to make the style easily approachable/drinkable to the “kids” and gals cutting their teeth on the big Bavarian exports downtown. I might take Victory’s Whirlwind Wit over this on personal preference, but nobody seems to wanna carry that Victory brand round town, so I’ll gladly drink hell outta this one : ) (978 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +15.2%

I keep returning to this all summer long. Cloudy pale golden color with a nice white head. The combination of citrus and spices is very nice. There is a sweetness to it and a slight banana clove flavor. Definite cardamon flavor is present in the finish, with the citrus adding a nice tang. It makes my tongue slightly numb in a pleasant way. It reminds me of biting into a delicious spicy muffin, but it's refreshing. I've never had a muffin I would call refreshing. Anyway, I could have this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. (525 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured into a pint glass
A: very impressive yellowish white with a small head. classic witbier color.
S: heavy smells of lemon zest and coriander, a belgian malt character comes into the forefront with a slight hop underscent.
T: crisp lemony approach, a spicy coriander feel and a malty finish. Coriander lingers slightly but not too long. I think where most witbiers go wrong is the strong coriander aftertaste that is just overwhelming.
M: nicely carbonated helps develop the small amount of bitterness.
D: this is a perfect session beer, small ABV, crisp and clean. One of the best summer seasonals around. (613 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Bottle acquired in a trade... a nice extra w/ a best by date of 10/01/09. Served at about 50 Deg. C

- Light cloudy golden straw yellow... almost glows like a small lantern.. thick white head down to a froth of lace.

- Wonderful bready yeast aroma with slight herbal notes and a lemony zest. Little bit of banana..

- Zesty and bready wit with some lemon zest, banana yeast, creamy wheat, and coriander.. a pleasant surprise, and a very good wit that holds true.

- Pleasant aftertaste.. little thick and creamy.. meaty.

- Huge on drinkablility.. very light, flavorful, and can drink all day! (594 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

Bottle poured into an English pint.

A - The brew pots a hazy dark yellow with about a finger of head. It definitely is light in color and prepares you for the freshness that follows.

S - The smell is definitely citrus and zesty. It almost smells a bit funky/farmhouse-y. I might even think there was some Brett in it.

T - This is an extremely easy drinker -- and that isn't a bad thing. While this isn't complex, it delivers on what it is supposed to bring. It is a simple sessionable beer that is great for those really warm days. If it were being compared to a double IPA, then it would taste bland. But for what it's aiming for, I give it a solid 4.

M - The mouth feel is extremely refreshing. It reminds me of a nice lemonade on a hot day. The finish is dry.

O - This is one of my favorite beers for the summer. If I'm looking for something to drink where I don't have to concentrate, then this is it. (914 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Hazy butter yellow, good white head

S: Inviting aroma with those characteristic phenols.

T & M: Lively carbonation with a light and airy texture. Pleasing flavor of soft wheat and citrus punch.

D: Nicely done. Very approachable and delicious. Good summer beer. (266 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

pours a cloudy pale yellow with a 1 finger white head that leaves spotted lacing

smell is of wheat banana cloves very close to hefe

taste - has a little spice at first then wheat banana clove - again this beer is more of a hefe then a wit imo

mouthfeel is crisp light and refreshing just like the bottle says

drinkability is great - a beer with an abv under 5% that taste this good and this very reasonable $$ - i think i just found my summer session beer (459 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

Poured from two 12oz glasses into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best By 10/1/09

A: Pours a perfectly hazy and unfiltered pale gold color topped with a creamy, one-finger, bright-white head.

S: Toasty wheat, coriander, orange peel, and other spices.

T: Same as above with some lemon or grapefruit rind thrown in to boot.

M: Slick and spicy. Equal parts dry, oily, and spicy.

D: Excellent and very refreshing! Great summer beer. (460 characters)

ZÔN from Boulevard Brewing Co.