Irish Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Irish AleIrish Ale

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.80% ABV

Irish Ale, Boulevard’s early spring seasonal beer, is our Midwestern tribute to the legendary red ales of old Ireland. Our recipe combines six kinds of pale and roasted barley malts to provide a rich, toasty flavor and tawny reddish hue.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 06-02-2002)
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

12 ounce pour into a pint glass.

A - 2 inch off white head that quickly subsided into a 1/4 inch. Red/brown color.

S - Fruity.

T - Sweet. Malty taste with hop finish. Slightly bitter

M - Thin. Lightly carbonated.

D - Session beer. Think this is above average Irish red.

tedpeer, May 28, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Picked this up at the class 6 store at Vance AFB, OK, review based on notes, beer was 2 weeks past it's sell by date (bottle conditioned)

Poured a caramel orange with 2 fingers of sand colored head. Good lacing & head retention

S: Breadyness & cereal notes, some leafy hops, plus some caramel as this warmed

T: Caramel, grainyness & leafy hops up front. More of the same plus dryness & biscutty malt as this warmed, Finished dry with more leafy hops

MF: Medium bodied with high carbonation & pretty good balance

Drank pretty good, the dryness would get to me after a while. A passable Irish Red, bottle conditioned, so may be better a bit fresher 2 months post Saint Patricks

russpowell, May 26, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Deep reddish brown color with ample cream-colored head. Smell is of toasty caramel and brown sugar with a nice floral hoppy aroma.

Sweet nutty biscuit flavor with floral and lightly fruity hops. Very well-balanced. Medium body with good carbonation.

Very tasty example of the style, I really like this one. I could drink it year-round.

Sampled on 4/8/08.

tmitch75, May 12, 2008
3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Received this brew in a recent trade with "Turbine2475"

Pours a slighty muddied mahogany color, white head with some nice lacing that settles fairly quickly. Smells very sweet, maybe pears, faint hints of vanilla. Taste is an ever so faint hop note, with a peaty feel to it. Mouthfeel is a bit over carbonated. Very low abv makes it easy to drink a few of these. I've had other Irish ales that i like better, but it's a solid brew.

BigJTrucker, May 07, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

Thanks bort11 for your generousity. Pours a tan yellow with a foaming white head. Beery cheese aroma. Toast in there and on bitter side, not getting too much malt and no hint of recognition of a 5-malt complexity, metal in the finish. Aggressive carbonation,not bad but oh so dry Irish.Thanks again Tim!

Sammy, Apr 06, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +15.3%

I was pleased to see this on tap last night, I had to have one.
A: Dark reddish-brown color, looked almost like a double-bock.
S: Didn't have a very distinct smell, but caramel was promenant.
T: Wonderfully smooth, hints of caramel and toffee.
M: lightly carbonated for superior drinkability.
D: I had to tell myself to quit.
I look forward to this ale all year long. I have to get my fill because after spring, ZON comes out, and I'm not a fan.

naterock, Apr 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

best by 5-1-08. I will say I don't know a ton about the Irish red ale style but apparenlty this version is brewed with wheat as well. Interesting twist.

A - nice rich amber color with an off-white head
S - Nice caramel malts with a hint of hops.
T - nice balance of caramel malts, toffee and hops.
M - medium bodied, nicely carbonated, smooth clean finish.
D - drinks nice and tasty yet light. A session beer anyone?

barleywinebrewer, Mar 28, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

I had to work late on St. Patrick's Day, so I had two of these when I got home from work. Poured a copper/red color. There wasn't much of a smell, but what smell there was came across as malty. The taste was malty with only a slight amount of hops. I haven't had a ton of Irish Red Ales, but this one tasted good to me. I would definitely try it again.

Mora2000, Mar 25, 2008

My only real complaint was that I got a skunked bottle in my six pack.

Nice deep red color with decent foam. Smell was a little funky -- toasty malts, but also picked up a mossy, overly earthy smell too. Sweet, bready taste, but what really does it for me is the hint of citrus and bitterness from the hops to go along with the malt flavors. Nice job.

WaveRebel51, Mar 19, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

A nice pour from the bottle produced a frothy, cream-colored head settled on a dark amber body. Not much aroma from this, just some malt. Taste is of semi-sweet malt with some light hoppiness in the finish and a bit of a toasted flavor. A medium-bodied beer that is simple in style and very drinkable.

jhammerly, Mar 18, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Had on tap at Coach's Kansas City during Illinois' loss to Wisconsin in the finals of the Big Ten Tournament.

Smells nice - a little fruity and hoppy.

Good taste, but nothing exceptional. More sweet than hoppy, but has decent complexity - some tart fruit notes balanced by floral hops.

A nice beer - definitely a good St. Patrick's Day choice far exceeding the traditional brews served up, but nothing to go out of the way for.

kcillini77, Mar 17, 2008
3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

I grabbed this from the sterling Sun Singer. A nice copper brown pitched from the bottle, with two fingers of white froth capping it. Modest whiffs of caramel malt exude from Irish Red, followed by hints of berry. The taste is smooth but lacks boldness and complexity. Texture carries the day for Irish Red, making it a nice, drinkable offering.

Yet this isn't the equal of Three Floyd's brilliant Brian Boru, not close. Nor is it close to Boulevard's Bully! Porter. A good, steady beer, certainly, and not one to turn down. Just not in the upper strata.

Gehrig, Mar 15, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

pours a dark reddish color with a big opaque head. smell isn't very strong, some malty characters and some biscuit aromas. taste is pretty good though, has a lot of interesting malt flavors, one of the better irish ales, most of them seem kinda bland, but this one is pretty good, and only a few days till st.pattys day!

1fastz28, Mar 14, 2008

Appearance
Good inch head sitting on a raspberry iced tea color body. Nice show of carbonation. Love the label! Head settles slowly, leaving very little lacing.

Smell
Delicious sweet, tart fruit bread; almost like apricot bread; very inviting. I smell cranberries or maybe just berry in general. It's got a hint of hops, but more fruity malt (though no banana).

Taste & Mouthfeel
Zing of hops at first; the carbonation gives it a nice bite in my mouth, and the tangy fruit and sweet malts finish it off. I'm not picking up on a big "toasty" flavor like Boulevard suggests I will.

Overall
I'm really enjoying this style. It's like a sweeter pale ale and much more smooth with the malt presence. I easily enjoyed a couple of these one evening. I could also easily persuade myself to buy another six-pack. I keep coming back for a whiff; it's really pleasing.

JEdmund, Mar 11, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours out a rusty orange-red with middling carbonation and a pretty, thick head atop. Leaves some thick lacing. Smells of sweet malts and a good deal of toasty crystal. Lot's of fruity esters going on that I tend to associate with Boulevard. There's kind of a tinge of piny hops. Taste is sufficiently malty with a good bit of toastiness. There's the fruitiness here which reminds me of fruity bubblegums. There's a bit of that "beyond-toasted" malt character that I get from Fat Tire and much of the New Belgium line here which almost gives off the effect of cocoa powder. Slight medicinal flavors. Bit of pine hop in the finish. Mouthfeel is moderate to light in weight and extremely creamy. Drinkability is OK. I really didn't like this beer right off, but as I work my way through the 6 pack over the course of a couple weeks, I find myself liking it more.

goochpunch, Mar 11, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz bottle with date stamped on neck. Festive label

Poured an amber hue with a tint of ruby color. 3/4 inch white bubbly head that left light lacing behind

smell was of sweet malt, and more hops than i expected, but they were sort of earthy smelling.

Taste was moderate sweetness from the malt with a slight punch at the finish of the hop presence. It was a surprise but not bad.

MOderate weight, plenty of carbonation.

With such a low abv you could drink this all day, but i would probably choose something else.. wouldnt turn it down if it was handed to me though. Decent brew, nothing extraordinary

tayner, Mar 07, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +6%

This was poured into a pint glass from the bottle.

A - clear deep ruby color with a decent head that settles into a small collar

S - slightly toasted malty scent, faint trace of hops

T - rich toasted malt taste with a stronger than expected (for an Irish ale) hop finish, some fruitiness noted from the yeast as well

M - medium body, moderate carbonation

D - This is a tasty Irish Red and perhaps one of the better beers that I've tried from Boulevard. I'd certainly pick this up again 'during the season o' the Irish'.

scoobybrew, Mar 01, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into tumbler. Dark amber with a 1" head that quickly breaks into a thin layer leaving some lacing. Smells of toffee and maybe candy corn. Not a lot of hops, malty and smooth all the way through, caramel, wood, sweet with very slight bitterness at the finish. Not the best red ale I've had, but pretty good.

MOShepp, Feb 18, 2008
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Had on tap in a Boulevard Pint Glass. Pours a dark coppery orange with a slight tan head that dissipates into a thin layer that leaves just a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma isn't out of this world. Pretty basic with a big caramel sweetness finishing with citrus hops that gives it the sensation of smelling orange rinds. Taste is much the same with a malty presence the melds into the hops. It's not as sweet as the nose would have you believe. My biggest problem is that there is a slight metallic taste to it. Mouthfeel is a bit thin I think. I think that they could have done a bit more with the beer.

hwwty4, Feb 18, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

A: Copper in color, good clarity, with a dense, tan head that never really dissipates.

S: Aroma has a rich hop character with a bit of a citrus and spices.

T: Hops dominate the flavor, leaving a lingering bitterness long after the swallow. Not sure if there's enough malt to keep it in balance. Hint of spices in the flavor as well.

M: Way too thin. Finishes dry.

D: This beer is good, but flawed. Good for someone who likes dry, hoppy ales--as I do--but lack of malt body and watery palate preclude greatness. Great session beer though.

PaleAlien2, Feb 16, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

12oz Stubby

Best by 5/1/08

I got this bottle as an extra in a recent trade with Vancer, thanks again Vance! Boulevard's Irish Ale pours fairly clear amber but upon closer inspection there's some tiny floating sediment that takes away a bit of the clarity. A one finger white head appeared on the pour that fell to a thin cap and left spotty lacing on its way down.

A bit of caramel and toasty malts greet the nose upfront. There's a noticeable earthy spicy hoppiness throughout. Maybe my mind's plying tricks on me but every now and then I pick up a whiff of pineapple.

While not an exciting ale this is a good one. Irish reds seem to be a tough style to really make stand out and Boulevards version is no different but it is enjoyable. A solid helping of caramel maltiness is accompanied by a touch of toasted graininess. The hopping creates a nice balance and rings in earthy and spicy just like the aroma suggested. Boulevard's Irish Ale finishes with a touch of lingering bitterness.

This beer sports a medium body with a smooth velvetiness. The mouthfeel fits the style really well and keeps it an enjoyable drinker.

Drinkability is good. The balanced flavor, mouthfeel, and low abv all make for a truly quaffable Irish red.

This is a good example of the style from Boulevard. Irish Reds are a style I can't really get to excited about but this would be a good beer to drink if you were sitting down for a game or in a more social situation where more than a few would be consumed in a night. Thanks Vance!

joe1510, Feb 10, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

"Best by 05/01/08"

a: Dark amber/copper body, thin white head with some lace.

s: Caramel with some fruit notes, maybe citrus.

t: Caramel malt upfront with some notes of cherry? Not sure, but there is definitely some fruit in there. Some nuttiness, light hops and a dry finish.

m: Medium to light body, appropriate carbonation.

d: A good brew from Boulevard, not one of their best, but its pretty good. Irish ale is an above average, though not spectacular, irish red.

BradLikesBrew, Feb 09, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +22.1%

A friend got me this sixer for a present.
I love to support Semi-Local brewerys so This was a beer I was really excited about.

The pour was amazing. I actually took a pic of it when I poured 2 bottles into a large glass Stein. Beautiful Ruddy brown color. Clear not cloudy, Pretty bubbles.

Smell is sweet, I cant say much more than that. I smelled good though!

Taste. Amazing, finished clean with no odd aftertaste.. in other words no notes of any negativity. All good. Overall a beautiful experience.

Mouthfeel was the same as taste. Darker but not reeeeal heavy. Amazing all the way through.

Drinkability, Put it this way. I wish this was all year round and not limited to a certain time of year.

Damn near perfect review.
I love this one, and its gonna hold a special spot in my heart. Gotta remember when I see this one... (next year most likely) To just cash im my change and get a sixer.

Who cares if you got bills?
Buy this six pack.

Clockwork420, Feb 09, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +12%

Pours a dark reddish brown color. The head is medium sized and fades away pretty quickly. Smells bready and yeasty. Taste is malty, buttery, and slightly toasty. There is also a nice earthy taste from the hops. The bitterness levels are nice as well. Mouthfeel is good, with smooth carbonation. Very drinkable, it would be easy to drink several of these.

tronester, Feb 08, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

Thanks to bort11 for the bonus bottle.

Bottle poured into a pubglass.

A beautiful red beer, deep reds and orange colors remind me of hot coals. Impressive head leaves a stiff, thick lace.

Smell is mostly hops with a faint caramel malt aroma.

Well hopped for an Irish red but no complaints here as it's balenced nicely with malt. The malt plays second fiddle to the bittering and flavor hop additions.

A descent body to this beer, heavily carbonated at first but it simmers down right quick.

Very drinkable I think. I could see this being a session choice with some frequency if it were sold here.

cookin420, Feb 07, 2008
Irish Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.