Bob's '47 Oktoberfest - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bob's '47 OktoberfestBob's '47 Oktoberfest

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Todd on 08-31-2002

Our fall seasonal beer, Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest is a medium-bodied, dark amber brew with a malty flavor and well-balanced hop character. With this Munich-style lager we salute our friend Bob Werkowitch, Master Brewer and graduate of the U.S. Brewer’s Academy, 1947.

Not just because I am from KC but the fact is Bob's 47 is simply the best Oktoberfest beer I have ever had, in my humble opinion. No two ways about it.!! Forget about it!!

4.7/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

This is the best Oktoberfest beer I have ever had. The dark color and malty taste are superb. I would highly recommend this beer to everyone. We go to a winery outside the St. Louis area every year for my wife's birthday and I take that beer with me to enjoy there and usually end of buying a couple extra also.

4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Pours a dark amber and has a white head that leaves a nice lace on my glass. The aroma is very malty with a little spiciness of the hops. Very nice for a lager... It is very bock-like in it's character. I love the malty backbone with the excellent hopping... I am blown away by how good the beer is. I was expecting much less. I can't wait until next years batch.

4.65/5  rDev +24.7%

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer is a beautiful dark copper color. An off-white head eases it's way into a film, with good webbed lacing.

Aroma is buttery and spicy. Faint caramel.

Taste is a rare 5.0. Just so well balanced and with a great combination of caramel buttery sweetness, with some spicy cinnamon.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied, some carbonation.

Overall, probably one of the best Oktoberfests this year 2012. Malty, caramel sweetness, and a hint of cinnamon spices. Love it.

4.53/5  rDev +21.4%

Served to me in pint glass at Barley's on Midland in Shawnee.

A: Reddish brown (amber?) color. Head stuck around a long time.

S: Hop bite but not overpowering. Slightly caramel/sweet yet dry.

T: Good malty flavor, hop bite aftertaste. Enjoyed a lot.

M: Medium body, crisp slight fruit, apple or pear, can't quite make it out. Guess I don't have the tongue for it yet.

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

Love the bottle. Classic styling and label.

Pours the correct color, lovely amber brown/orange. Slightly light head but almost 2 fingers.

Aroma is clearly malt heavy with a nice toasty balanced nose.

Carbonation is perfect and mouthfeel medium which it should be for this type of beer.

Magic combination of malt chemistry produces a lovely balanced character of toasted and creamy/sweet flavors.

Finishes clean and smooth, begging for another. Very drinkable and a great session beer as any Oktoberfest should be. One of my favorites.

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

This is simply delicious and one of my favorite beers. I once spent four hours of my weekday afternoon driving around St. Louis looking for this seasonal offering (quit holding out on us and offer it year 'round!). The color a beautiful translucent dark amber/brown. Pours a quickly fading head with some lacing, but the real redeeming quality is the taste, full and rich while mild without a heavy or grainy mouthfeel. Fantastic!

4.47/5  rDev +19.8%

Attractive bronze body with a modest head

Appetizing aroma of grassy and hay-like hops, plus sweet melon-like malts, and some faint mineral qualities making me think this water came from Bavaria

Taste + Mouthfeel
Malt centric beer, with lots of doughy and slightly sweet malts to enjoy, though thankfully it never gets too malty or sweet; mineral-like flavors, combined with the faint hopping, scythe nicely through the malts, helping the finish end well; not too familiar with the style, but I would love to try more that are this good.

Each sips manages to pack in good flavor, but end quickly and cleanly, making for a very sessionable Bavarian style beer. I can't believe I didn't care for this in years past. I will definitely be buying more this season and will eagerly look forward to its arrival each fall.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Clear and bright burntish orange color, thin sticky yellowed head, minimal spotty lacing.

Aroma is toffeeish, nutty, caramel dipped toasted edging; warming, clean, and soft with an overall sweet malt tone. Quite nice actually.

Taste is malty smooth, akin to becoming dopplebock-like but keeps a slight toastier edge and slight herbal hop backing to it. Mostly sweet with a light mixure of bready malts and caramel smoothness, lifting into some retracting toffee butter and nuts. Finish lends a bit of hoppy herbal grassy atop a slight roasty/toasty chewy malt.

Feel is silky smooth and malty thick, nearly full and buttery, not too cloying in sweetness but definately has a hangin' around-sticky thing to its character and body. A pleasant surprise as it slides right down. This is a keeper by the folks at Boulevard.
Drinkability high and easy going. And at 5% this is a super sessionable brew to behold. Too bad its a seasonal. Astonishly good stuff!

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: Beautiful copper, not much head, zero lacing

S: Carmel malts, hops, some spice, nit sure what, but, nice.

T: Malty ( can't wait to review, and read other takes on this beer!), did I mention malts?! Nice balance of hops, about as hoppy of a beer as I care for - I'm a malt-head. Finishes with a bit of vanilla.

M/D: Low carbonation, a bit of metallic aftertaste. I see the ABV is under 5%, I can really, really see myself making this a session beer if it becomes year-round.

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had a bottle of this at Old Chicago last night.

Nice clear amber red pour with a very small head of foam that disappeared completely within a couple of minutes.

The nose had a nice strongish bready and caramel malt smell with a noticeable fruity note and just a bit of hoppiness hiding in the background. I really liked taking whiffs of this one!

Nice caramel and bready malt flavour with some fruitiness and a fairly dry finish thanks to a small but, it is there, hop presence. Wow. The more I drank, the more I wanted to drink...extremely drinkable for me(mouthfeel was nice and not a bit watery) and very satisfying. I just wish I could buy some sixers around town. :^(

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Man have I been dying to get this one back

A-Very deep copper color with about a 1 finger head and pretty good lace.

S&T-Sweet malt notes of honey and fig as well in the nose. The start of the beer is nice and smooth with a noteable bitterness through the middle and a nice sweet finish, malt comes through very distinct this year.

M&D-Very smooth medium body extremly easy to drink makes me wish it was around longer, this one as well as the Sam Adams this year i will most likely buy a case of to get me through all those times I wish I could have one.

4.37/5  rDev +17.2%

Bottle Inspection: Best by 12/01/06 (sampled 1/1/07) Hand carried back from Little Rock

Aroma: Light noble hop with light lemon grass backed by a sweet malt base. Nice balance allows both to shine.

Appearance: Very clear amber glass holds a thin head and fair collar that manages a few loops of lace.

Flavor: Nice tea flavor shifts to an almost citric hop. Crisp European hops backed by a nice barley malt, excellent balance.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation level keeps the medium body lively but not fizzy.

Overall Impression: Smooth flavor melds the four natural ingredients in a solid fashion so that none stand out, but all are tasted. Total package is refreshing and clean, but with solid flavor. Easy drinking, very nice beer, recommended.

4.36/5  rDev +16.9%

Great nose...smells of rich maltiness...almost like a malt in fact....semi chill hazed copper color....mouthfeel is a little sticky and sweet...flavor is very sweet...on the edge of being over sweet...big caramel sweetness..a hint of apples too...I like rich, sweet beers and this fits the bill....the more I drink this some strong "bready" flavors emerge too...the low ABV is surprising due to the richness...

Not sure how close to style this is but this is damn tasty in my book..

4.34/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a clear copper with a small head that did not have good retention. Just specks of lacing is left on the glass during consumption.

Has a hearty malt aroma with the hops definately adding some spice and floral qualities. The more I smell this beer the more I like it.

Nicely balanced flavor of malt and hops. The beer is not as sweet as other Helles and has more of a hop presence. I prefer Boulevard's take on the style.

Light body with somewhat harsh carbonation.

Very drinkable with a satisfying flavor and low ABV. I just wish it was more widely available in my area.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - A dark orange crystal clear brew sits beneath a khaki one finger head that goes away pretty quickly. I was expecting this to be a light pils shade of yellow or gold, but this is dark and rusty. A moderate amount of lace sticks to the glass.

S - Deep and rich slightly toasted malts accompany a dark fruity, jammy, almost blackberry and black cherry note. Smells like whole wheat toast with a little bit of butter and blackberry jam. Interesting, if not super assertive.

T - Wow! Again, this tastes nothing like what I thought it would taste like, and I'm pleasantly surprised. Just like the nose, there are nice whole grain toast and fruity dark jam notes. Blueberry, blackberry, and cherry preserves. The hops really come out here too! Boy is this good!

M - Medium bodied with a nice mellow level of carbonation. An oily film coats my mouth after swallowing, and the aftertaste of hops and jammy dark fruits goes on for days! There is almost a two-stage finish to this one. First, it's all hops and bitterness. Then, a hugely fruity sweetness coats the inside of my mouth.

D - This one totally came out of left field and floored me! I was expecting a somewhat boring pilsener-like lager, and got a hoppy fruit bomb with deep toasted malts. Here's to Bob Werkowitch!

4.32/5  rDev +15.8%

Amber color with a tan head, decent carbonation and decent lace (either unfiltered or is so due to age - sample was a bit older). Toasty Munich malt aroma and taste. Bready characteristics. Light-Medium bodied with a crisp spicy finish.

Per B.B.Co. website:
Ingredients: Pale, Munich, and Caramunich malts.
Nugget, Magnum, and Hersbrucker hops.
Starting Gravity: 13.5 degrees Plato
Alcohol Content: 4.48% by weight

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber color with a large-bubbled head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Malty and slightly sweet with a touch of hops - surprisingly complex for a Helles

Taste: Starts with a graham cracker/bready maltiness that is joined by a subtle hop presence, mid-palate; the finish is slightly sweet and malty

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a full dose of carbonation

Drinkability: Normally, I don't care much for lagers but this is one I would be drinking over and over if it were regularly available in my area; doesn't really fit the Helles Lager profile as it has elements of Vienna Lager, Munich Dunkel and Oktoberfest; really outstanding marriage of several styles

Thanks, beerhandy, for this eye-opener

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Clear, light mahogany. Very fine beige head settles to an incomplete cap, leaving some lacing.

Malt, malt, malt on the nose. Great slightly sweet, toasty Munich malt. Touch of herbal hops add some complexity.

Medium in the mouth where the Maltfest continues. There is subtle hoppiness just keeping the malt in check. Very nice length, ends with a crisp mineral hop snap.

Carbonation on this bottle is quite fine, and works nicely to help lighten the malt. Other bottles from this six pack have had a strangely large-bubbled soda-like carbonation. Talking to other BAs about this year's edition, this bottle seems more representative.

Always one of my favorite seasonals, and a perfect complement to a football Saturday (or Sunday if you swing the NFL way). Well done, Boulevard - let's have it back on draft next year so my kegerator will be happy!

Bottle #5 of my six pack. Best before 12/01/07.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

A standard pour of Boulevard Brewing's Bob's 47 Oktoberfest yields a bright burnt-orange body capped by an inch of white fizz. Carbonation is moderate; random streams of small bubbles rise steadily towards the top.

The nose suggests that Bob's 47 will be slightly hoppier than most Märzens, especially German ones. But don't let the hoppiness fool you. The malts are up front and personal here. Toasted bread, caramel, almonds, freshly cut grass, and chrysanthemum flowers.

The taste follows the nose closely at first, but takes on some new, exiting directions in the long aftertaste. Therein, sweet, nutty malts are slowly overtaken by bitter hops (perfectly balanced to my palate). Thus, what starts as a sweet hang ends dry and crisp. Excellent.

The rich malt profile makes for a rich mouthfeel with plenty of foam. Outstanding.

Bob's 47 is certainly among the best American Märzens I've tasted to date. In fact, I'm convinced that it would stand up to my favorite Oktoberfests from across the Atlantic. I'll be sure to pick up a bottle next year. I hope that Chimay, which has recently purchased Boulevard Brewing, doesn't change the recipe.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

Passing thru the St. Louis Area, I consider myself lucky to of picked up another fine Boulevard offering. Thisone, a very good seasonal. I'd buy thisone year round if I could. Its that good.

One of my favorite styles; It pours a nice clear, dark amber red. A nice white maintaining head, good lace and well balanced carbonation.

The aroma and taste are also well balanced of malty bread like hints and a good crisp offset of hops. Well blended indeed.

Drinkability, oh ya! At about 5% abv this medium bodied brew goes well anytime with any meal. Great Job Bob!!

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from 12oz brown bottle into a clear pint glass

A: Amber, clear, with above-average off-white head with plenty of sticky lace

S: Fruity malts with decided leafy hops contribution. The fruit/malt is more noticeable, but the hops zing your nose really nicely too.

T: The maltiness has a berry-like fruit character with some caramel and bready notes. Hops are not lost, however, in this brew and they cut the fruity, earthy qualities of this beer with a sharp, clean bitterness that makes this beer very enjoyable to drink.

M: Clean and crisp with a long aftertaste that is equal parts bitter and malt fruitiness. Carbonation is more than average, but that's a Helles for you, and it adds to the crisp character.

D: Bob's 47 is excellent and an exceptional example of the Helles Lager. Clean, crisp, and delicious. For a company known for their American wheat, this was a great surprise that I really enjoyed.

4.27/5  rDev +14.5%

Nice auburn tone to this autumnal offering. Clear and bright. The caramel colored head is small and recedes to a thin coating quickly. The fillm stays around for a while and laces adequately. This has a great malty aroma with some hop characteristics sprinkled in. Maltiness has that bavarian feel to it and the hops are earthy on the nose. This is one nice tasting munich-style lager. The malt profile is solid. Nice and thick. Clean and tasty. While the munich malts make themselves known, this is no bock. The spattering of hop notes are herbal and earthy. Some bitterness is noted, but not a lot. Big body. Full mouthfeel. This one is solid.

Thanks for the great ofest/vienna/red/amber/munich-style lager, marc77.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

A - tantalizing clear dark orange, lovely carbonation gingerly rising, puffy cream head on top. Lots of lacing, but the head disappears quickly.

S - very clean, malty sweet, not too overpowering, which is appropriate for it's size.

T - tasty munich malt, with a touch of hop flavour to start, and a snappy hop finish at the end.

M - a fine line between crisp and smooth, with a medium body that is quite soft.

D - An elegant lager with incredible balance. Yum!

There is probably a tad too much hops in this to be true to style, but I like it. A great lager; approachable to newbies, but enough going on to satisfy those looking for more. Very impressive, I wish I could get this locally, it would make a fantastic session beer.

4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours out a hazy golden copper with amber highlights and a one finger off-white head. Caramel malts, florall hops to make up a splendid nose. Very nice. One of the best of Boulevard sline-up if not he best. The taste caramel and sweet malts up front. Some fruitiness Strawberry? Then herbal, slightly spicy hops slide in. Delicious and different. Finish is more sweet than bitter. Medium-bodied and coats the mouth well for a beer of its size. Well done again to the folks at Boulevard. Bpb Werkovich would have loved this too.

Bob's '47 Oktoberfest from Boulevard Brewing Co.