Bob's '47 Oktoberfest - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Bob's '47 OktoberfestBob's '47 Oktoberfest

good

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Our fall seasonal beer, Bob’s ’47 Oktoberfest is a medium-bodied, dark amber brew with a malty flavor and well-balanced hop character. With this Munich-style lager we salute our friend Bob Werkowitch, Master Brewer and graduate of the U.S. Brewer’s Academy, 1947.

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-31-2002)

1.4/5  rDev -61.6%

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

1.5/5  rDev -58.9%

This beer is very poor. Octoberfest should have some fall flavor, but this beer has none. To sum it up, it is highly carbonated, with a slight biscuit taste. No hops, no pumpkin, no nothing. Probably the worst beer I've had in the fall season. Bought a 6 pack but will NEVER buy another. Sam Adams Octoberfest destroys this Boulevard offering.

2.43/5  rDev -33.4%

Warm amber color with some big lonely bubbles and a coarse head in the tall glass.

Plain caramel flavor with some dirty hops. A hint of butter. Bitterish twang for the finish. Metallic smell. Unpleasant aftertaste of vegetable broth. I would call this a sub-par effort in the category.

The 12 oz bottle says "best by 12/01/12." Above that is "1101 D." So is it a year old? It has that coarse carbonation and slightly musty scent that indicates to me a beer past its prime. So they're not doing any favors with the liberal "best by" date.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

It's odd, other people seem to like this, but for some reason I don't. I like Oktoberfest beers, but this did not seem like one to me.

I tasted some very odd flavors reminiscient of the flavors I don't care for in German hefeweizens - flavors I've come to think of as "yeasty". Overall, it tasted more to me like I was drinking a hefeweizen than an Oktoberfest.

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

From the Dead Man's Chest
Nov 14th

Most of What I've had from Boulevard is really good, and I had high hopes for this one. It was clear and bright in color with a creamy head. The aroma was predominantly malty and sweet. It's too bad thats what the beer tasted like as well. It was one sided and mostly Malty sweet with some fruit and diyctal flavors. All in all it's just too simple. It need to clean up the diycital and possable get some more hops. Personally I don't agree with the Oktoberfest labeling if it's not a Marzen.

2.73/5  rDev -25.2%

Thanks to Gregis for the bottle
Pours amber with a fluffy beige head. Tart malt, and lager-like yeastiness in the smell. Flavor is light, somewhat crisp body with a mild bitterness. Sourdough breadiness and while not my favorite, a drinkable flavorful beer with an interesting tartness.

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

Frothy head with a clear deep golden color.

Aroma of caramel, toffee and some citrus.

It has a big metallic taste that overcomes all other flavors. I get a little peanut brittle and it's slightly bitter, but hard to tell with all the metallics.

I had this at the end of it's drink by date, so maybe that has something to do with the metal.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz. stubby bottle with a twist cap served cool into a globe.

Bob's 47 is a golden orange color with perfect clarity. The head is thick at first but settles quickly leaving no lacing behind.

Aroma is sweet like a red apple with other orchard fruits along for the ride.

Flavor is way too sweet and barely has any balance at all. Candied apples, pears, and orange pith.

Mouthfeel is medium -light in body, too thin, but appropriately carbonated.

Overall a week attempt at an Oktoberfest. I feel like Boulevard does a lot of very good "big" beers but their everyday six pack styles are sorely lacking. This is a prime example.

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

A - Pretty clear orange red with only a little bit of white head and no lacing

S - Good deep malt smell with some pleasant fruit notes and some sweetness

T - Good malts to be found but not as sweet or fruity as the nose would suggest. Also a little bitter aftertaste that is a little unpleasant could be from hops could not be hard to tell.

M - Medium body and medium carbonation

D - Nothing I would buy a regular basis, just doesn't really get me

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to Monkeyknife for the hook up with this in a locals trade.

Pours a clear coppery amber with a finger of off-white foamy head. A slim fizzy layer of retention leaves back some decent lacing that slowly slides down the sides of the glass. Unfortunately I get half way through the glass and the carbonation already looks dead. The aroma is a pungent smelling blend of bread, citric tang, and sticky caramel sweetness that is just coming on a little too strong for my tastes.

The taste is much the same but still fairs a little better with bready caramel sweetness, citrus, and a hop profile that comes on way too strong in the finish. The whole thing just comes off as too bitter and tangy to me. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a fairly sharp carbonation and a bit of a slicker feel that rides underneath it, as well as some alcohol beef.

Hmmm, I wish had something better to say about this Boulevard offering I have to admit that this was probably thee most mediocre of the O-Fests that I tried this season. It tries to come on too strong (and sometimes a bit artificial) with what it's got and just didn't sit well with me.

Bob's '47 Oktoberfest from Boulevard Brewing Co.