Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007)
4.55/5  rDev +32.7%

This is a review of the Oklahoma 3 point version sold in grocery stores. (labeled as 3.1% ABW, which would be approximately 4.0% alcohol by volume. This is about 1% less than the standard lunar ale by either method)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a rocks glass.

Pretty dark wheat beer appearance in the glass, very hazy. Looks a lot like my favorite beer, Aventinus.

Enchanting aroma with some spices. Flavor is very-Aventinus like (is it my imagination or has this beer improved over time? I don't remember it being this good before) Lots of tangy wheat notes. Some cloves. Little bit of hops. Maybe a slight bit of smokiness (reminds me of some applewood smoked Yakima salt I've tasted). Rich malty wheat bread notes.

Mouthfeel is decent but not great. Carbonation is just tinge too much.

Incredibly drinkable. The low ABV makes this a fantastic session beer.

I've just found my new favorite Oklahoma 3-point beer. I highly recommend this.

Double plus bonus, it's cheap! I got it for $6.99/six at Homeland tonight. Last week, I got a six at a local convenience store for $7.50. Much cheaper than most of the other 3 point craft beers.

4.55/5  rDev +32.7%

S: Bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark Brown/Amber, with small white head that disappeared very quickly. Some lacing throughout.

Smell: A wheat smell for sure, a little hop smell surprisingly. Smells very malty, with some spices present.

Taste: Really nice for a dark wheat, kind of a light roasted caramel taste that hits at first, then fades into a less sweet wheat. Overall very sweet with some spices at first.

Mouthfeel: thicker than a normal wheat beer, with some carbonation, not much.

D: Super drinkable. I am drinking this right now!

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

4.43/5  rDev +29.2%

This beer pours a cloudy brown color, with a thin white head. The head fades fast, leaving a tiny lacing.

This beer has a malty sweet aroma. It smells spicy also. Some cloves, and banana. The cloves are the dominate aroma.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Cloves, and some banana. It has a sweet malry caramel flavor also.

This beer is crisp, and refreshing. It is high in carbonation. It leaves a clovey aftertaste.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. It is easy to drink, and tastes good.

Overall: Thanks to Vancer for this good beer. This is not a style that I find myself enjoying regularly, but I am glad to have had the chance to try this one.

4.43/5  rDev +29.2%

This was part of a mixed sixer I got at Brewtopia in Omaha.

It's a hazy orangey-brown topped with a creamy ivory colored head. There's a wheaty aroma, clove and banana aromas are present as well. Fruity.

Flavor has prominent banana and sweet spice. Clove is quite evident. It's a lightly dry mouth, clean finish. As you make you way through the bottle, the aftertaste gets sweeter and stickier.

Wow, what a surprise. I certainly wasn't expecting this beer to be a dunkel weisse and I certainly didn't expect it to be so tasty. Well done.

4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

A=deep dark cloudy amber, head off white about one finger

S=malty, creamy some fruity hints

T=taste similar, malty, creamy, some fruity hints, rather enjoyable in general, though a little sweet for my taste

M=light, fluffy thick carbonation

D=could drink more than one but not too many

4.28/5  rDev +24.8%

Aroma here is a mixed bag, one I don't think I've really had before. Some citrus is perceptible, along with some malt, perhaps of the chocolate variety. Interesting.

One of the cleanest, freshest tasting beers I've had in a while. Taste has some citrus upfront with some caramel malts mixed along with it. . Some clove spiciness is also prominent. Finish is a bit tart, which wraps up the beer quite nicely. Almost no aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very thin. Very clean and dry. Love it.

Basically, a regular hefeweizen with more malts...which I guess is what I should have expected from a dark wheat ale.

Very drinkable here. Takes a summer beer and makes it a little more versatile for perhaps a little bit colder weather. The best part is that I got it for free from Boulevard without even asking.

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

Another Boulevard beer I hadn't tried in some time, so I picked one bottle up in a mix and match 6 pack at the local liquor store.

Poured into a dimpled squat pint glass. A nice hazy brown color, good head, but poor head retention (this seems fairly common with Boulevard bottle conditioned beers...I wonder why?). As with Zon, you really need to swirl the last inch in the bottle before pouring it into the glass to get the added slight yeast flavor that really adds to the overall experience. Smell is wheat, malt, and light banana with clove flavors, and taste is the same (very nice with the light banana/clove flavors...but note these are light compared to a hefeweisen). Not overly carbonated, but a bit lighter than I expected. Overall, a nice summer session beer.

Maybe it's the heat, but this is the second wheat based Boulevard beer I've given a second chance to and reviewed recently...but I swear this and Boulevard Zon are improved and perfect for a hot summer day (it was 101 again today...when will this heat end?).

4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

I told myself I didn't like Lunar about 6 or 7 years ago and never gave it a shot again until a few months ago. I now realize the error of my ways - especially after hearing that this will be phased out in favor of the new Amber Ale. Fuck me runnin'...

12oz bottle into a Bell's glass - not sure if this is a tulip or snifter? A tulip without the bowed-out edges...whatever, it's very similar to the Tank 7 glass.

Pours a deep, dark amber with a quickly receding off-white head. Appearance isn't much to speak of, but for an "unfiltered brown ale" I wouldn't expect much more.

I get some light bready grains and juicy dark fruits from the Belgian yeast.

The taste and drinkability of this beer is where it excels for me. Sweet juicy flavors jump out immediately - I'm really reminded of grape juice - with the malt & wheat keeping it from ever coming close to cloying. Some hints of milk chocolate and a bit of hop spiciness underneath.

I could go for a little bit headier carbonation but that would probably hinder its extremely high drinkability.

It's a delicious, juicy & easy to drink session beer that I will sincerely miss. I guess I have only myself to blame...

4.18/5  rDev +21.9%

Drank straight from the bottle while Bar-B-Queing.

Appearance: NA. I would expect it to be a standard Brown Ale.

Smell: Coriander present with hops definitely infiltrating. Not overpowering. A pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: 100 percent delicious. This is a well represented wheat beer with a slight orange taste that is not overpowering like Leinenkugel's sunset wheat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: Bud Light Lime is 100 percent terrible. This however is one of the better beers to drink in the summer. Unfortunately it will be replaced.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. While I wouldn't necessarily drink this with a fish or steak meal, I would recommend this highly on a hot summer day or just a breezy night with good company. Refreshing beer and I cannot express how much I will miss this compared to the very disappointing Amber Ale.

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Another one from a mix'n'match. Picked this up after remembering another one this brewery did that I had with a pizza, figured check the rest of the line.

Pours a thin brown (shade of the bottle to be honest) w/ an inch of white head that evaporates quickly. Kinda smells like lemon w/ wheat, tastes likewise but has a slight bitter to it, yet a honeyish tone in the background. Goes down fizzy.

Sounds complex to where it could overpower, but it's all subtle, works together. Never heard of Boulevard before the move, but they've fast built a rep in my mind -- and a spot in my fridge.

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer poured a dark ruby, forming a 1 inch off-white head with light lace fllowing. The aroma is a mixture of bananas, wheat bread, and a more dominating lemon aroma. The taste is a little less complex than expected, mainly consisting of a nice lemon flavor with a lesser wheat flavor in the back. Still very enjoyable. Smooth medium mouthfeel. Good flavor and body make this an easy drinker. Overall, this is one of the better offerings from Boulevard. Nice full flavor and easy finish made this a great session ale IMO.

The Lunar pours a hazy, copper-colored brew with big white head that was off-white in color. The smell was very clovey-wheat aroma, yeasty with some bready character. The taste was big on wheat grain taste, slightly bready-sweet, with some yeast-influenced spice. Hints of toasty bread. No perceptible bitternes. The mouthfeel was decent light body, high-level carbonation, though not out-of-line for a wheat beer. Overall a decent beer.

Poured from two 12oz bottles into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best By 11/29/09

A: Pours a hazy, caramel-brown/apple cider color with a tiny yet sticky whisp of a head. Lazily carbonated.

S: Hint of clove and bubblegum, dark fruit, spices, and fruity yeast.

T: More fruity yeast, spices, caramel, and maybe a touch of lemony hops?

M: Full at first sip, then settles into a solid medium-body with a pleasant spiciness.

D: Very nice and surprisingly refreshing.

Pours a medium brown with a thin tan head. Smell is wheaty and yeasty, quite pleasant and strong aroma. Taste is very biscuity, a nice brown sugar sweetness as well. Belgian yeast strain flavors are apparant as well. A hint of hops in the finish to balance, not much hop flavor though. Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation. Drinkability is quite high, this a very good, simple, beer that is not offensive to a non-beer geek palate. I am surprised this hasn't received better reviews, its not Boulevard's best, but it is a solid choice, IMO.

I'm not sure to what I should compare this brew. I think the other lower ratings come from comparing this to others of the style, but if you look at this ale by itself, it stacks up well. What it has over others is drinkability. Like other Boulevards this is a brew that does not offend. It is civilized and well made.

It has enough character that you could not say that it was too bland for the style. They just didn't leave anything crude in there like some do.

It's yet another Boulevard that get approval from me.

Got this beer out of a sampler pack and poured it into a pint glass. It poured a dark brown color with a tan head. The taste of this beer was very dark, and malty. The smell was of wheat and malts. Over all I really enjoyed this beer and would drink it agian if I got the chance.

Bottle BB 10/23/10. Received in trade via rudge75, thanks! I love deciding on a beer before I ever look at reviews. Guess I'll take a high rDev on this one, because I really enjoyed it...

Nice lightly cloudy brown body with a generaous head that descends to a solid ring that leave light to moderate lacing. The aromas is particularly nice with spiciness and belgian-like esters dominating. The body has a nice creamy viscosity with a light residual caramel sweetness and the tiniest bit of coffee...

I would be drinking this again. Without question...

Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.