Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

4.57/5  rDev +33.2%

This is a review of the Oklahoma 3 point version sold in grocery stores. (labeled as 3.1% ABW, which would be approximately 4.0% alcohol by volume. This is about 1% less than the standard lunar ale by either method)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a rocks glass.

Pretty dark wheat beer appearance in the glass, very hazy. Looks a lot like my favorite beer, Aventinus.

Enchanting aroma with some spices. Flavor is very-Aventinus like (is it my imagination or has this beer improved over time? I don't remember it being this good before) Lots of tangy wheat notes. Some cloves. Little bit of hops. Maybe a slight bit of smokiness (reminds me of some applewood smoked Yakima salt I've tasted). Rich malty wheat bread notes.

Mouthfeel is decent but not great. Carbonation is just tinge too much.

Incredibly drinkable. The low ABV makes this a fantastic session beer.

I've just found my new favorite Oklahoma 3-point beer. I highly recommend this.

Double plus bonus, it's cheap! I got it for $6.99/six at Homeland tonight. Last week, I got a six at a local convenience store for $7.50. Much cheaper than most of the other 3 point craft beers.

4.53/5  rDev +32.1%

S: Bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark Brown/Amber, with small white head that disappeared very quickly. Some lacing throughout.

Smell: A wheat smell for sure, a little hop smell surprisingly. Smells very malty, with some spices present.

Taste: Really nice for a dark wheat, kind of a light roasted caramel taste that hits at first, then fades into a less sweet wheat. Overall very sweet with some spices at first.

Mouthfeel: thicker than a normal wheat beer, with some carbonation, not much.

D: Super drinkable. I am drinking this right now!

4.42/5  rDev +28.9%

This was part of a mixed sixer I got at Brewtopia in Omaha.

It's a hazy orangey-brown topped with a creamy ivory colored head. There's a wheaty aroma, clove and banana aromas are present as well. Fruity.

Flavor has prominent banana and sweet spice. Clove is quite evident. It's a lightly dry mouth, clean finish. As you make you way through the bottle, the aftertaste gets sweeter and stickier.

Wow, what a surprise. I certainly wasn't expecting this beer to be a dunkel weisse and I certainly didn't expect it to be so tasty. Well done.

4.4/5  rDev +28.3%

This beer pours a cloudy brown color, with a thin white head. The head fades fast, leaving a tiny lacing.

This beer has a malty sweet aroma. It smells spicy also. Some cloves, and banana. The cloves are the dominate aroma.

This beer tastes much like it smells. Cloves, and some banana. It has a sweet malry caramel flavor also.

This beer is crisp, and refreshing. It is high in carbonation. It leaves a clovey aftertaste.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. It is easy to drink, and tastes good.

Overall: Thanks to Vancer for this good beer. This is not a style that I find myself enjoying regularly, but I am glad to have had the chance to try this one.

4.37/5  rDev +27.4%

A=deep dark cloudy amber, head off white about one finger

S=malty, creamy some fruity hints

T=taste similar, malty, creamy, some fruity hints, rather enjoyable in general, though a little sweet for my taste

M=light, fluffy thick carbonation

D=could drink more than one but not too many

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

Aroma here is a mixed bag, one I don't think I've really had before. Some citrus is perceptible, along with some malt, perhaps of the chocolate variety. Interesting.

One of the cleanest, freshest tasting beers I've had in a while. Taste has some citrus upfront with some caramel malts mixed along with it. . Some clove spiciness is also prominent. Finish is a bit tart, which wraps up the beer quite nicely. Almost no aftertaste. Mouthfeel is very thin. Very clean and dry. Love it.

Basically, a regular hefeweizen with more malts...which I guess is what I should have expected from a dark wheat ale.

Very drinkable here. Takes a summer beer and makes it a little more versatile for perhaps a little bit colder weather. The best part is that I got it for free from Boulevard without even asking.

4.17/5  rDev +21.6%

Another Boulevard beer I hadn't tried in some time, so I picked one bottle up in a mix and match 6 pack at the local liquor store.

Poured into a dimpled squat pint glass. A nice hazy brown color, good head, but poor head retention (this seems fairly common with Boulevard bottle conditioned beers...I wonder why?). As with Zon, you really need to swirl the last inch in the bottle before pouring it into the glass to get the added slight yeast flavor that really adds to the overall experience. Smell is wheat, malt, and light banana with clove flavors, and taste is the same (very nice with the light banana/clove flavors...but note these are light compared to a hefeweisen). Not overly carbonated, but a bit lighter than I expected. Overall, a nice summer session beer.

Maybe it's the heat, but this is the second wheat based Boulevard beer I've given a second chance to and reviewed recently...but I swear this and Boulevard Zon are improved and perfect for a hot summer day (it was 101 again today...when will this heat end?).

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured into a glass from a 12oz. bottle. The beer poured a dark ruby, forming a 1 inch off-white head with light lace fllowing. The aroma is a mixture of bananas, wheat bread, and a more dominating lemon aroma. The taste is a little less complex than expected, mainly consisting of a nice lemon flavor with a lesser wheat flavor in the back. Still very enjoyable. Smooth medium mouthfeel. Good flavor and body make this an easy drinker. Overall, this is one of the better offerings from Boulevard. Nice full flavor and easy finish made this a great session ale IMO.

4.13/5  rDev +20.4%

I told myself I didn't like Lunar about 6 or 7 years ago and never gave it a shot again until a few months ago. I now realize the error of my ways - especially after hearing that this will be phased out in favor of the new Amber Ale. Fuck me runnin'...

12oz bottle into a Bell's glass - not sure if this is a tulip or snifter? A tulip without the bowed-out edges...whatever, it's very similar to the Tank 7 glass.

Pours a deep, dark amber with a quickly receding off-white head. Appearance isn't much to speak of, but for an "unfiltered brown ale" I wouldn't expect much more.

I get some light bready grains and juicy dark fruits from the Belgian yeast.

The taste and drinkability of this beer is where it excels for me. Sweet juicy flavors jump out immediately - I'm really reminded of grape juice - with the malt & wheat keeping it from ever coming close to cloying. Some hints of milk chocolate and a bit of hop spiciness underneath.

I could go for a little bit headier carbonation but that would probably hinder its extremely high drinkability.

It's a delicious, juicy & easy to drink session beer that I will sincerely miss. I guess I have only myself to blame...

4.12/5  rDev +20.1%

Drank straight from the bottle while Bar-B-Queing.

Appearance: NA. I would expect it to be a standard Brown Ale.

Smell: Coriander present with hops definitely infiltrating. Not overpowering. A pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: 100 percent delicious. This is a well represented wheat beer with a slight orange taste that is not overpowering like Leinenkugel's sunset wheat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: Bud Light Lime is 100 percent terrible. This however is one of the better beers to drink in the summer. Unfortunately it will be replaced.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. While I wouldn't necessarily drink this with a fish or steak meal, I would recommend this highly on a hot summer day or just a breezy night with good company. Refreshing beer and I cannot express how much I will miss this compared to the very disappointing Amber Ale.

4.09/5  rDev +19.2%

Another one from a mix'n'match. Picked this up after remembering another one this brewery did that I had with a pizza, figured check the rest of the line.

Pours a thin brown (shade of the bottle to be honest) w/ an inch of white head that evaporates quickly. Kinda smells like lemon w/ wheat, tastes likewise but has a slight bitter to it, yet a honeyish tone in the background. Goes down fizzy.

Sounds complex to where it could overpower, but it's all subtle, works together. Never heard of Boulevard before the move, but they've fast built a rep in my mind -- and a spot in my fridge.

The Lunar pours a hazy, copper-colored brew with big white head that was off-white in color. The smell was very clovey-wheat aroma, yeasty with some bready character. The taste was big on wheat grain taste, slightly bready-sweet, with some yeast-influenced spice. Hints of toasty bread. No perceptible bitternes. The mouthfeel was decent light body, high-level carbonation, though not out-of-line for a wheat beer. Overall a decent beer.

Poured from two 12oz bottles into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best By 11/29/09

A: Pours a hazy, caramel-brown/apple cider color with a tiny yet sticky whisp of a head. Lazily carbonated.

S: Hint of clove and bubblegum, dark fruit, spices, and fruity yeast.

T: More fruity yeast, spices, caramel, and maybe a touch of lemony hops?

M: Full at first sip, then settles into a solid medium-body with a pleasant spiciness.

D: Very nice and surprisingly refreshing.

Got this beer out of a sampler pack and poured it into a pint glass. It poured a dark brown color with a tan head. The taste of this beer was very dark, and malty. The smell was of wheat and malts. Over all I really enjoyed this beer and would drink it agian if I got the chance.

Bottle BB 10/23/10. Received in trade via rudge75, thanks! I love deciding on a beer before I ever look at reviews. Guess I'll take a high rDev on this one, because I really enjoyed it...

Nice lightly cloudy brown body with a generaous head that descends to a solid ring that leave light to moderate lacing. The aromas is particularly nice with spiciness and belgian-like esters dominating. The body has a nice creamy viscosity with a light residual caramel sweetness and the tiniest bit of coffee...

I would be drinking this again. Without question...

This is not quite was I was expecting, but I am on the second bottle and must say this is a decent American brown ale. The beer is clear, dark and mahogany in color. Roasted malt is the primary initial taste, with some nuttiness and a hint of alcohol too. The mouth feel is a little thin, but after a glass I like the way it is in good balance with the rest of the components in this beer. It's elements are complimentary, and though not a huge brown ale fan I look forward to the rest of the 6 pack. Cheers

3.99/5  rDev +16.3%

Pours a medium brown with a thin tan head. Smell is wheaty and yeasty, quite pleasant and strong aroma. Taste is very biscuity, a nice brown sugar sweetness as well. Belgian yeast strain flavors are apparant as well. A hint of hops in the finish to balance, not much hop flavor though. Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation. Drinkability is quite high, this a very good, simple, beer that is not offensive to a non-beer geek palate. I am surprised this hasn't received better reviews, its not Boulevard's best, but it is a solid choice, IMO.

3.98/5  rDev +16%

I'm not sure to what I should compare this brew. I think the other lower ratings come from comparing this to others of the style, but if you look at this ale by itself, it stacks up well. What it has over others is drinkability. Like other Boulevards this is a brew that does not offend. It is civilized and well made.

It has enough character that you could not say that it was too bland for the style. They just didn't leave anything crude in there like some do.

It's yet another Boulevard that get approval from me.

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy amber with a fluffy, off-white head which dissipated and left not much lacing.

S: Rich banana and some clove with a little pepper and some alcohol.

T: A lot like the smell put onto a soft malt backbone.

M: Fizzy and a little thin.

D: It's pretty sweet so I don't know that I'd want to put back a bunch of these, but it'd be nice to have around for a change of pace during a session.

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a hazy, amber/brown color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of tart malt, bread, sweet malt, and slight fruit aromas. Fits the style of an American Dark Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, tart malt, and a slight fruit (banana). Smooth finish overall, and a prett decent beer.

3.97/5  rDev +15.7%

bought this beer at a local grocery store in wellman, iowa. i was looking for something reasonably cheap since all their premium beers seem to be overly priced. this one just happened to be in my price range so i picked it up.

at first glance its a brownish red color it was a little cloudy not very clear, with a nice head that sat for quite a will with a little bit of stick to it. it smelled quite good had a nice hop and malt smell to it. and had a nice mouthfeel to it. was quite good actually. had some nice flavors of hops and wheat and malt. i could definatly taste them all. i liked this beer and i would buy it again in a pinch but not my favorite by any chance.

3.96/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: A cloudy "pale ale" color or kind of a light brown. Hit the glass with a 1 1/2 finger off white or eggshell head that dissipated in about a minute leaving a ring of foam on the edge of the glass.

S: Spicy and tart. I can't name the spice, maybe clove? No noticeable hop aroma.

T: Wheaty with a hint of roasted or smokey malt. Very sharp and dry finish.

M: A little hard to describe, some creaminess from the carbonation and typical "wheat beer" feel. I don't know what to call that but you wheat beer drinkers know what I mean.

D: Generally, Wheat beers are not my forte but I really like this one. I may just have 3 or 4 after dinner tonight.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

My 100th brewery! Boulevard is new to this area and I just started seeing it this week. I picked up a mixed 12 pack with 6 varieties.

Best before 08/30/09

Pours into a pint glass with hazy brownish orange color. Thin head is fleeting.

Aroma is sweet but mild with a slight fruity ester to it.

The flavor agrees with the aroma. This almost tastes like they used a Belgian yeast strain! Mild dark fruits and a slight spicy note carries the beer from start to finish. Slightly sweet up front but finishing a little more dry. Not especially bitter but well balanced nonetheless. It's basically a weak Belgian dark ale.

Mouthfeel is nice medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth and unoffensive.

Very drinkable and goes great with the warm weather and BBQ dinner I'll be having. Not a great beer but a good one that I wouldn't mind having again.

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

The bartender that poured me this beer had no knowledge of beer styles. After one sip I figured it was a Dunkleweisen in some form. Glad to know my taste buds have not abandoned me. This beer is a cloudy "Missouri River" amber-brown with a small (4mm) tan head. The nose has a good amount of banana bread smell and a tad of clove. Tasty beer! The yeast have put more banana than clove into this beer but still well balanced. Smooth wheat flavor overall with some passion fruit hints. A very drinkable beer.

3.92/5  rDev +14.3%

I didn't know exactly what I would think of this beer given the mixed reviews, in addition to my mixed feelings about Boulevard these days. I actually kind of liked it though. Nothing too mind-boggling, just a decent beer to kick back and enjoy. Would make a good summer drinker.

The beer pours to a mahogany, amber and brown with an unfiltered cloudiness. No apparent carbonation, though a good sized off-white head forms. Retention could be better. Settles out to a collar around the rim of the glass with a very thin film in the middle. Little to no lacing.

The smell is good. Has a bit of a spicy phenolic edge. Clove predominantly, though it has a subtle underlying banana ester. It's easy to tell that this is a wheat based malt profile. Seems like a dark wheat beer with saison yeast.

The taste is good as well. A little sweet up front, followed by a dominating clove with a banana ester in the back. A little bready with hints of bubblegum. Just the slightest bit of a barnyard hay-like funk. Almost tastes like it has some flaked corn in it. For what it is, it doesn't taste bad. Hard to classify in any style, but as I said earlier, it is far from mind-blowing.

The body is a fair bit thin. The aftertaste washes out fairly quickly. A hint of sour. The carbonation is gentle on the palate, and the alcohol is detectable but very light. I think I could drink a lot of this during the spring, as it begins to warm up and I start to crave wheat beer. Not bad for Boulevard. Shows a hint of creativity, but it's still far from mind-blowing. I don't think a wheat-brown-ale-saison is going to become a new style by any means, but it wasn't horrible. I didn't expect bad, but I didn't expect to be blown away either. This beer simply is what it is. Glad to see Boulevard finally expanding their line for what it's worth; afterall, it's one of the breweries that actually got me into craft beer to begin with.

Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.