Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

2.11/5  rDev -38.5%

12oz. bottle received in a recent trade with thehand. Thanks again man!

Pours a dark, cloudy coppery orange/light brown color that is pretty much completely opaque with a one finger frothy off white head that slowly fades into a thin lasting ring. Not much in the way of lacing.

Slightly tart, spicy aroma with some peppery zest and clove. There's also a decent amount of caramel and chocolate malt in the nose as well as some subtle citrus and banana fruit character.

Lots of light carbonation up front followed by a very spicy medium body that lingers into a long dry finish. This beer is almost all clove and and hops and to it's demise is completely dominated by these flavor. There's also some peppery notes along with some caramel/chocolate malt and light fruit buried underneath. It's very dry and almost offensively one dimensional. I really love Boulevard but this beer is a mess.

2.2/5  rDev -35.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Just tried this beer and i was so dissapointed. It has some wheat and malt background but nothing impressive at all. The taste was something of a very badly done wheat beer with no background at all. I had to dump this beer out because i just couldn't finish it. I've had a lot of good beers in my day and i expected a little more but i tasted this and was incredibly unimpressed. It tasted like really bad bread, wheaty but not in a good way.

2.34/5  rDev -31.8%

Boulevard Lunar Ale pours a deep brownish, amber hue with no head. The smell is a bit odd, I really can't describe what it is I'm smelling, but it isn't that pleasant. Neither is the taste, which is slightly bitter and overall pretty tasteless. The mouthfeel wasn't too bad, it was smooth with a medium to light body. I was really expecting a lot more from this Lunar Ale, especially after pouring it and seeing that nice deep color. Unfortunately, aside from its appearance, I would have to say this beer is a bust.

2.43/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks to Bort11 for the trade. Poured from a 12oz bottle with best date lasered on the neck. Website describes the color as russet brown but I'd say more amber brown. It had a decent that quickly went away. The smell was malty and bready and reminded me of a watered down dunkle. The taste also followed the watered down theme and was rather disappointing. It was just north of bland with no unique qualities. Mouthfeel was watery. Overall, just not a good beer and can't recommend. (2, NA, ML, N)

2.47/5  rDev -28%

best by 3/22/09 (ittle past date)

pours semi clear amber brown with a 1+ finger head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet banana and a little wheat - standard

taste below par - watery weak banana with no malts

mouthfeel was light thin with small amount of carbonation

drinkability is so so - flavor not there so i doubt i drink this again even if it was past date by a few months

2.51/5  rDev -26.8%

brown color, no head at all. smells a bit nutty, and yeast. taste of yeast and wheat. pretty good malt flavor, not tasting too much hops, but as this sample is pretty well past its prime thats not suprising. pretty thin mouthfeel, a bit watery. would like to try a fresher sample in the future. Boulevard should do some better marketing with this one, No idea what i was buying, Nothing on the bottle tells you that this is a Dunkelweizen.

2.55/5  rDev -25.7%

Dark amber brown with a small head that disappeared rather quickly leaving no lacing. Smell is wheaty, a bit of banana, clove and yeast, maybe some light chocolate notes. Taste is pretty one dimensional. Wheat twang with some clove spiciness, dry finish. Light-bodied, bordering on watery. Not the best wheat beer I've had, a bit disappointing really. Probably won't be having this again anytime soon.

2.56/5  rDev -25.4%

Not my favorite from these guys. I keep expecting more from them every time I try something new.

Deep amber to brown in color, translucent with only remnants of a tannish head. Muddy water as my wife called it was a nice description.

The aromas are non existant, dark fruits and some bannana and spice in the background. A bit tinny...

Taste is overall unimpressive, nothing up-front, grainy with some bitterness in the middle, not a hoppy bitterness but a dry tannin bitterness like raw wheat. The finish is smooth a bit creamy and quite yeast-filled, with tos of spiced wild yeast flavors but really nothing concrete. The mouthfeel is watery and flat, but smooth. Overall if I had quaff this one I would say it is drinkable, but not by choice.

This beer seems a bit mixed up, BLVD headed in a few different directions with this one, the true flavors for the style don't match the final product...which can be the case....but the final product does not match any style...which can be good. Unfortunatley this one is not.

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

Boulevard Lunar Ale is a rather strange beer. Lunar Ale is an unfiltered brown wheat ale, with a bit of a citrusy finish. It's not so bad, I've had Lunar Ale a few times, only in bottles. I'm not the biggest fan of Boulevard (perhaps due to their addition of yeast just before bottling, I don't know), but this is a decent Boulevard beer.

Boulevard Lunar Ale isn't a beer I'm going to rush out and buy more of, but if somebody gave me a free one, I wouldn't turn it down.

2.67/5  rDev -22.2%

(disclaimer: I do not review beers because I do not have a good palate and do not trust my ability to successfully describe anything I taste. That being said I want to keep track of beers I have tried and will start to try reviewing beers I drink)

From a sampler pack found at specs liquor.

Poured into a glass mug.
Pours Cloudy reddish amber color with 2 inch head.
Really pretty beer to look at.

No smell that really stands out truthfully It almost doesn't smell like a beer to me.

Tastes flat to me.
No alcohol taste that I can tell of and not a whole lot of flavor.
Goes down easy and not much of an aftertaste.

Easy to drink I could drink a bunch of these. I wouldn't really enjoy it though.

2.73/5  rDev -20.4%

A - Dark ruby amber with 1 finger of tan hand that goes away pretty quickly

S - Roasted wheat and malt smell with some dark fruit floating about

T - A little sweet, lemon and wheat, some clove, overall kind of bland and a little watery with a not as pleasant after taste

M - Medium body with light carbonation

D - Kind of blah, not horrible but I would reach for many other things first.

2.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Hazy cola brown color, large co2 bubbles that look more force carbonated than bottle conditioned, quickly dissipating to nothing. Poor retention for a wheat.
Smells almost like dr pepper and dunkle weizen combined, their yeast is kicking out some nice olfactory spice.
Interesting flavor, tastes like a toasty brown ale up front, then fades to a slightly peppery spice with standard wheat graininess , then finishes with a bit of NECCO wafer, actually a lot of NECCO, the chocolate ones at that.
Light body, almost no feel besides co2
Overall this is about what I expected from Bully, flavorful, but just not enough in the right direction. It gives me hope for their Saison, but this just falls flat.

2.83/5  rDev -17.5%

an extra from a trade i lost track of. sorry. someone please feel free to remind me.

12oz bottle w twist cap. best by date of 8/30/09. tasted in mid/late may 2009.

coppery amber brown. hazy, almost murky. 1.5-finger off-white head quickly fades to fizzy, thin wispy layer, maintained because of the etching in the glass. lacing never sticks.

aroma: some bready malt w hint of caramel, noble hop whiffs with sulfur notes, and trace esters. really more like a german dunkel lager. faintest touch of spice... maybe...?

taste follows suit, with just a faint hint of apple esters and yeastiness, to remind you this is an "ale". just boring overall. gentle to moderate noble hop bitterness at least keeps things crisp.

light body, almost watery. some acidic textures towards and into the finish. moderate carbonation can be fizzy, prickly and crisp. helps a tiny bit with making this more palatable. maybe.

simply put, these american "wheat beer" styles need to either be discarded to the wayside, or totally revamped.

2.85/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer pours a cloudy light brown color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into thin lacing. The aroma is of toffee and caramel, but is quite faint. The taste has a nice toffe note, but there isn't much else. The mouthfeel is light bodied and watery, with a high level of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a bit of a disappointment. I really love dunkelweizen, but this beer just does work for me.

2.88/5  rDev -16%

I had this beer on tap at the Boulevard bar inside the Kansas City Airport. I had no idea what style this was suppose to be & the bar tender couldn't give me much info on it so I took notes of my tastings.

Appearance: Dark brown beer with thin white lace, unfiltered, seems to be very lightly carbonated.
Aroma: Stale malty, cardboard aroma with hints belgian notes.
Flavor: Strong bread flavor (tastes like wheat or was that rye?). Not much hops at all, nothing to write about. High alcohol overtones standsout over everything.
Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, a thick beer, ok balance of malt & hops nothing enough to get by.
Overall: I wouldn't suggest drinking a lot this while out on the road, at home would be better. High level alcohol. This beer isn't bad at all, not the greatest but certainly not the worst. Id buy this again.

2.89/5  rDev -15.7%

Boulevard's website says this is 4.5% ABV.

Whoa...an ambitious pour resulted in a frothy overflow, retention only fair, lacing not much to brag about, hazy brown. Floral and molasses notes in the nose. Taste is malt, hint of vanilla and biscuit finishing a little thin. Mouthfeel not much, Drinkability is ....so so.

I dunno, pretty much sub par overall, drinkable enough but something seems unfinished about this, probably won't venture this direction again.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

Not a bad effort for a dunkelweizen. Boured with a macro beer head that starts subsiding right away and very little lace. Color is a hazy brownish amber. Aroma is a faint Bavarian style weiss. Some malt in there too. Body's a bit on the thin side. Slightly sweet tart taste to go along with the aromatic components. Finish is on the sweet tart side too. Could be a session beer if you don't mind the thin body.

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

Pleasant aroma of banana bread and cloves with another spice; nutmeg, maybe. Citrus and grassy hop notes are present in the nose, as well. Pours a clear amber with a thin head but somehow manages to appear muddy. Taste is sweet and complex, but not in a good way. Theres a lot, too much, going on in this beer. The end result is garbled. Medium bodied with an oily texture and rather flat carbonation. LIngering sweet finish, not crisp and dry as advertised. I like where Boulevard was attempting to go with this but it feels as though they overreached. Worth trying once.

2.93/5  rDev -14.6%

First new regular beer to be added to Boulevard's line up in quite some time. When I had heard that Boulevard was going to release a new regular beer, I had hoped for a lager (I lover Bob's 47) but was intrigued when I hear what style it was. Purchased a 6 for $6 to give it a try.

Appearance: Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer is a hazy brown with a 1/2 inch white head. The head hangs around for some time. Leaves some good lacing. I like the look.

Smell: Not sure if this is par for an American Dark Wheat Ale. It is rather yeasty. Nothing hop, little malt. A bit wheaty and bready, which I expect with all the yeast I get.

Taste: Not much to wow me. Not sure what they were going for, I just assume that the end result is intended. What I get in the taste is a yeasty wheat beer.

Mouthfeel: Somewhat light in body, low carbonation. Not real lively.

Drinkability: I guess this beer is ok, although I find that I only have one of these a night and am not really going through my six pack. I bought it two weeks ago and after this beer I will still have another to go. I won't run out and buy this again; if I ever buy this again. I think the people will speak with their wallets and this one will fade away. OK, just not good enough IMO.

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

one in the sixer looking pretty but surrounded, like bellvue!?!? .... not a very full for a beer of this kind, but a good gateway drug ... but, it actually kinda nice, has just this little something to it .. pendulum's blood sugar drops! .... no real foam, strange .."who pumped ethyl" ... needs more to be a great one..

2.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Reviewed 8/28/2008 (bottle):

Pours a cloudy brown colored body, with a creamy off-white colored head, lasting. Has a light fruity aroma, but not very strong A light Belgian-like taste, light fruity taste. Frothy palate, creamy. Has a pretty good taste.

2.95/5  rDev -14%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Pours a dark cherry wood brown with a one and a half inch bone white head with some frothy lacing that clings to the side of the glass.

S: Good and strong sweet wheat aroma, clove, banana, slight cherry in there as well along with some other mellow spices all quite mellow and all in check.

T/MF: Watery banana bread with a slight nuttiness, this beer really wants to be something but just falls flat in the mouthfeel and flavor department. Finish is strangely drying sort of a grainy consistency mouthfeel wise, not smooth at all as I would expect a wheat beer to be.

D: Not offensive, just does not seem to match up with the style guidelines very well, I would reach for something else if it were up to me, which it is.

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle via trade thanks to stephens101 on BA.

Pours cloudy mud brown with a one-finger off-white head.

Aroma is pretty nice and typical with banana, clove, and malty sweetness.

Flavor starts off decent, with caramel malt, banana, and clove. Nothing special, but all right. Then a weird off-flavor hits on the finish: something fairly acrid and mildly vegetal, possibly DMS. This lingers on the aftertaste.

Palate is somewhat thin and watery for the style.

Overall, a somewhat boring and slightly flawed example of the style. Would be good for someone like Indian Wells, but is a disappointment coming from Boulevard. Drinkability is not bad though despite this.

2.97/5  rDev -13.4%

I wasn't really sure what the style of this beer was supposed to be. Says Dark Wheat above, but wasn't very special in the dark or the wheat category.

A - Hazy light brown/dark gold. Some head
S - Apple, light caramel, belgian
T - much of the same notes from the smell, not particularly interesting though.
M - Watery, Carbonated
D - ehh, isn't terrible, but not interesting.

Pours to a thin white head and deep amber color. Aroma is of cloves and bubblegum with some sweet malt coming through. Flavor is more of the same with a slightly malty finish. Not a terribly enjoyable beer in my opinion, but it is decently made. I've had better amber wheats.

Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.