Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 236 | Reviews: 188
3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

I didn't know exactly what I would think of this beer given the mixed reviews, in addition to my mixed feelings about Boulevard these days. I actually kind of liked it though. Nothing too mind-boggling, just a decent beer to kick back and enjoy. Would make a good summer drinker.

The beer pours to a mahogany, amber and brown with an unfiltered cloudiness. No apparent carbonation, though a good sized off-white head forms. Retention could be better. Settles out to a collar around the rim of the glass with a very thin film in the middle. Little to no lacing.

The smell is good. Has a bit of a spicy phenolic edge. Clove predominantly, though it has a subtle underlying banana ester. It's easy to tell that this is a wheat based malt profile. Seems like a dark wheat beer with saison yeast.

The taste is good as well. A little sweet up front, followed by a dominating clove with a banana ester in the back. A little bready with hints of bubblegum. Just the slightest bit of a barnyard hay-like funk. Almost tastes like it has some flaked corn in it. For what it is, it doesn't taste bad. Hard to classify in any style, but as I said earlier, it is far from mind-blowing.

The body is a fair bit thin. The aftertaste washes out fairly quickly. A hint of sour. The carbonation is gentle on the palate, and the alcohol is detectable but very light. I think I could drink a lot of this during the spring, as it begins to warm up and I start to crave wheat beer. Not bad for Boulevard. Shows a hint of creativity, but it's still far from mind-blowing. I don't think a wheat-brown-ale-saison is going to become a new style by any means, but it wasn't horrible. I didn't expect bad, but I didn't expect to be blown away either. This beer simply is what it is. Glad to see Boulevard finally expanding their line for what it's worth; afterall, it's one of the breweries that actually got me into craft beer to begin with.

3.92/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle indicates best by date of 10/23/10.

Appearance: light brown-orange color with a finger of ivory foam. Haze is light; it looks like a low-haze dunkelweizen.

Smell: aroma is very nice. There's a nice clove aroma and a little banana to boot; aroma is creamy, chalky and wheaty. I like it.

Taste: flavor tracks well with the aroma. There's a very nice malt flavor in there with the wheat; I don't know whether they're using chocolate malt here or not, but there is a touch of smooth chocolate malt flavor here. I quite like it.

Mouthfeel: medium, maybe medium-light body; OK for the style. Carbonation is somewhat low and the beer is more fizzy than creamy. Not bad, but could be better.

Drinkability: quite drinkable. I would definitely sit down with a few of these in a session.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

My 100th brewery! Boulevard is new to this area and I just started seeing it this week. I picked up a mixed 12 pack with 6 varieties.

Best before 08/30/09

Pours into a pint glass with hazy brownish orange color. Thin head is fleeting.

Aroma is sweet but mild with a slight fruity ester to it.

The flavor agrees with the aroma. This almost tastes like they used a Belgian yeast strain! Mild dark fruits and a slight spicy note carries the beer from start to finish. Slightly sweet up front but finishing a little more dry. Not especially bitter but well balanced nonetheless. It's basically a weak Belgian dark ale.

Mouthfeel is nice medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth and unoffensive.

Very drinkable and goes great with the warm weather and BBQ dinner I'll be having. Not a great beer but a good one that I wouldn't mind having again.

3.95/5  rDev +15.5%

The bartender that poured me this beer had no knowledge of beer styles. After one sip I figured it was a Dunkleweisen in some form. Glad to know my taste buds have not abandoned me. This beer is a cloudy "Missouri River" amber-brown with a small (4mm) tan head. The nose has a good amount of banana bread smell and a tad of clove. Tasty beer! The yeast have put more banana than clove into this beer but still well balanced. Smooth wheat flavor overall with some passion fruit hints. A very drinkable beer.

3.96/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: A cloudy "pale ale" color or kind of a light brown. Hit the glass with a 1 1/2 finger off white or eggshell head that dissipated in about a minute leaving a ring of foam on the edge of the glass.

S: Spicy and tart. I can't name the spice, maybe clove? No noticeable hop aroma.

T: Wheaty with a hint of roasted or smokey malt. Very sharp and dry finish.

M: A little hard to describe, some creaminess from the carbonation and typical "wheat beer" feel. I don't know what to call that but you wheat beer drinkers know what I mean.

D: Generally, Wheat beers are not my forte but I really like this one. I may just have 3 or 4 after dinner tonight.

3.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy amber with a fluffy, off-white head which dissipated and left not much lacing.

S: Rich banana and some clove with a little pepper and some alcohol.

T: A lot like the smell put onto a soft malt backbone.

M: Fizzy and a little thin.

D: It's pretty sweet so I don't know that I'd want to put back a bunch of these, but it'd be nice to have around for a change of pace during a session.

3.97/5  rDev +16.1%

Pours a hazy, amber/brown color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of tart malt, bread, sweet malt, and slight fruit aromas. Fits the style of an American Dark Wheat Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, tart malt, and a slight fruit (banana). Smooth finish overall, and a prett decent beer.

3.97/5  rDev +16.1%

bought this beer at a local grocery store in wellman, iowa. i was looking for something reasonably cheap since all their premium beers seem to be overly priced. this one just happened to be in my price range so i picked it up.

at first glance its a brownish red color it was a little cloudy not very clear, with a nice head that sat for quite a will with a little bit of stick to it. it smelled quite good had a nice hop and malt smell to it. and had a nice mouthfeel to it. was quite good actually. had some nice flavors of hops and wheat and malt. i could definatly taste them all. i liked this beer and i would buy it again in a pinch but not my favorite by any chance.

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

I'm not sure to what I should compare this brew. I think the other lower ratings come from comparing this to others of the style, but if you look at this ale by itself, it stacks up well. What it has over others is drinkability. Like other Boulevards this is a brew that does not offend. It is civilized and well made.

It has enough character that you could not say that it was too bland for the style. They just didn't leave anything crude in there like some do.

It's yet another Boulevard that get approval from me.

3.99/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a medium brown with a thin tan head. Smell is wheaty and yeasty, quite pleasant and strong aroma. Taste is very biscuity, a nice brown sugar sweetness as well. Belgian yeast strain flavors are apparant as well. A hint of hops in the finish to balance, not much hop flavor though. Mouthfeel is medium, nice carbonation. Drinkability is quite high, this a very good, simple, beer that is not offensive to a non-beer geek palate. I am surprised this hasn't received better reviews, its not Boulevard's best, but it is a solid choice, IMO.

The Lunar pours a hazy, copper-colored brew with big white head that was off-white in color. The smell was very clovey-wheat aroma, yeasty with some bready character. The taste was big on wheat grain taste, slightly bready-sweet, with some yeast-influenced spice. Hints of toasty bread. No perceptible bitternes. The mouthfeel was decent light body, high-level carbonation, though not out-of-line for a wheat beer. Overall a decent beer.

Poured from two 12oz bottles into two generic goblets. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Best By 11/29/09

A: Pours a hazy, caramel-brown/apple cider color with a tiny yet sticky whisp of a head. Lazily carbonated.

S: Hint of clove and bubblegum, dark fruit, spices, and fruity yeast.

T: More fruity yeast, spices, caramel, and maybe a touch of lemony hops?

M: Full at first sip, then settles into a solid medium-body with a pleasant spiciness.

D: Very nice and surprisingly refreshing.

Got this beer out of a sampler pack and poured it into a pint glass. It poured a dark brown color with a tan head. The taste of this beer was very dark, and malty. The smell was of wheat and malts. Over all I really enjoyed this beer and would drink it agian if I got the chance.

Bottle BB 10/23/10. Received in trade via rudge75, thanks! I love deciding on a beer before I ever look at reviews. Guess I'll take a high rDev on this one, because I really enjoyed it...

Nice lightly cloudy brown body with a generaous head that descends to a solid ring that leave light to moderate lacing. The aromas is particularly nice with spiciness and belgian-like esters dominating. The body has a nice creamy viscosity with a light residual caramel sweetness and the tiniest bit of coffee...

I would be drinking this again. Without question...

This is not quite was I was expecting, but I am on the second bottle and must say this is a decent American brown ale. The beer is clear, dark and mahogany in color. Roasted malt is the primary initial taste, with some nuttiness and a hint of alcohol too. The mouth feel is a little thin, but after a glass I like the way it is in good balance with the rest of the components in this beer. It's elements are complimentary, and though not a huge brown ale fan I look forward to the rest of the 6 pack. Cheers

4.09/5  rDev +19.6%

Another one from a mix'n'match. Picked this up after remembering another one this brewery did that I had with a pizza, figured check the rest of the line.

Pours a thin brown (shade of the bottle to be honest) w/ an inch of white head that evaporates quickly. Kinda smells like lemon w/ wheat, tastes likewise but has a slight bitter to it, yet a honeyish tone in the background. Goes down fizzy.

Sounds complex to where it could overpower, but it's all subtle, works together. Never heard of Boulevard before the move, but they've fast built a rep in my mind -- and a spot in my fridge.

4.12/5  rDev +20.5%

Drank straight from the bottle while Bar-B-Queing.

Appearance: NA. I would expect it to be a standard Brown Ale.

Smell: Coriander present with hops definitely infiltrating. Not overpowering. A pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: 100 percent delicious. This is a well represented wheat beer with a slight orange taste that is not overpowering like Leinenkugel's sunset wheat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: Bud Light Lime is 100 percent terrible. This however is one of the better beers to drink in the summer. Unfortunately it will be replaced.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. While I wouldn't necessarily drink this with a fish or steak meal, I would recommend this highly on a hot summer day or just a breezy night with good company. Refreshing beer and I cannot express how much I will miss this compared to the very disappointing Amber Ale.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.