Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007)
baseballrock

3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

the color is brown, not very much carbonation, no head and no lace. the smell is slightly bannana and cloves. it has some bread taste. the problem i have has is the bannana, clove taste. im not an expert but i was'nt expecting those taste from a dark wheat beer. mouthfeel is a bit watery. this is just an average beer in my opinion, nothing special.

04-09-2008 23:08:53 | More by baseballrock
simmons

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

I had this beer on tap at the Boulevard bar inside the Kansas City Airport. I had no idea what style this was suppose to be & the bar tender couldn't give me much info on it so I took notes of my tastings.

Appearance: Dark brown beer with thin white lace, unfiltered, seems to be very lightly carbonated.
Aroma: Stale malty, cardboard aroma with hints belgian notes.
Flavor: Strong bread flavor (tastes like wheat or was that rye?). Not much hops at all, nothing to write about. High alcohol overtones standsout over everything.
Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, a thick beer, ok balance of malt & hops nothing enough to get by.
Overall: I wouldn't suggest drinking a lot this while out on the road, at home would be better. High level alcohol. This beer isn't bad at all, not the greatest but certainly not the worst. Id buy this again.

08-23-2009 01:38:53 | More by simmons
UnkleFester

01-06-2012 17:33:19 | More by UnkleFester
scottblaze

2.85/5  rDev -16.9%

Boulevard's website says this is 4.5% ABV.

Whoa...an ambitious pour resulted in a frothy overflow, retention only fair, lacing not much to brag about, hazy brown. Floral and molasses notes in the nose. Taste is malt, hint of vanilla and biscuit finishing a little thin. Mouthfeel not much, Drinkability is ....so so.

I dunno, pretty much sub par overall, drinkable enough but something seems unfinished about this, probably won't venture this direction again.

03-01-2008 00:20:17 | More by scottblaze
ThickestHead

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into a chilled pint glass.
Color and appearance is a murky brown with an average head that is followed with very little lacing.
It smells like a yeasty banana bread and grain.
It tastes of sweet malts with a mild banana taste and if there is any significant hops then I am sure missing it.
The experience in the mouth is nothing special.
It is a drinkable enough beer but I won't be getting another 6er when there are so many other beers out there for me to try.

07-24-2009 03:46:32 | More by ThickestHead
Gruntlumber

3.33/5  rDev -2.9%

Now with the capacity to expand their product line, I'm hoping for more interesting projects from Blvd. This one isn't bad, although not amazing as I had hoped. The most obvious trait of this beer comes from the bread-like Belgian yeast, along with the mild spice notes of a good Hefeweizen (banana, clove). It's a good concoction, although leaves something lacking. In their attempt to create something new and different yet with broad appeal, the total does not seem to equal the sum of the parts.

06-15-2007 21:05:50 | More by Gruntlumber
thatguy3579

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

A: A strange brownish color, closest to a dark caramel. Translucent. Thin head which dissipates quickly and does not cling to the glass. Lots of bubbles visible.

S: Nose is sweet. Bananas and some flowers.

T: Mild flavor. Up front I catch a lemony bite. Also present is banana bread and a little smoke. Finish is quite clean.

M: Thin and lightly carbonated. I could use a little more bubbles to be honest.

D: A real pleasant drink. Light and refreshing, but still interesting.

05-20-2010 01:16:25 | More by thatguy3579
Duxx

3.98/5  rDev +16%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: A cloudy "pale ale" color or kind of a light brown. Hit the glass with a 1 1/2 finger off white or eggshell head that dissipated in about a minute leaving a ring of foam on the edge of the glass.

S: Spicy and tart. I can't name the spice, maybe clove? No noticeable hop aroma.

T: Wheaty with a hint of roasted or smokey malt. Very sharp and dry finish.

M: A little hard to describe, some creaminess from the carbonation and typical "wheat beer" feel. I don't know what to call that but you wheat beer drinkers know what I mean.

D: Generally, Wheat beers are not my forte but I really like this one. I may just have 3 or 4 after dinner tonight.

12-28-2009 23:02:00 | More by Duxx
Rbald42

3.2/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Dark amber,very thin head, no lacing

S- Pleasant smell of fig, ginger spice, cloves, and herbal grassy hops

T- Fairly bland, some hints of pumpkin and nutmeg, with light bitter hop finish

M- Thin with fair/low carbonation levels

D- Easy drinkability, I could have a couple of these

Overall its just okay, glad to have easy access to Blvd's lineup of beer.

01-09-2010 02:56:43 | More by Rbald42
kdpark

7-27-10

S: Citrus, banana, and clove on the nose, a little bread

A: Creamy head, dissapates quickly, slightly cloudy, copper

T: Sweet with banana, spice and toasted malt, quite complex, some darker crystals give it a bit of sweetness. Finishes dry with some spice, kind of a strange aftertaste, not sure what to make of it

M: Medium, carbonation makes it slightly creamy

D: A nice summer beer

07-28-2010 02:11:56 | More by kdpark
echdk3

3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a weizen glass

A_Opaque brown black body with some lively bubbles. Thick frothy dark tan head is attractive. Small lacing

S_Biscuits, sweet caramel, pungent. Dark fresh bread

T_Dutch rye bread. None of the sweetness from the smell. Slight note of charcoal

M_Light body, a little wattery. Not very sticky either. Wish the body was nice and heavy

D_The aftertaste is a little bitter, and the beer is surprisingly filling considering the wattery body. Not a lot of repeatability

01-11-2009 23:19:06 | More by echdk3
Rdstarr

01-02-2012 06:18:54 | More by Rdstarr
ebraun

3.95/5  rDev +15.2%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy amber with a fluffy, off-white head which dissipated and left not much lacing.

S: Rich banana and some clove with a little pepper and some alcohol.

T: A lot like the smell put onto a soft malt backbone.

M: Fizzy and a little thin.

D: It's pretty sweet so I don't know that I'd want to put back a bunch of these, but it'd be nice to have around for a change of pace during a session.

01-29-2010 00:48:43 | More by ebraun

saheider

03-01-2012 03:32:51 | More by saheider
Jayhawk

4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

Another Boulevard beer I hadn't tried in some time, so I picked one bottle up in a mix and match 6 pack at the local liquor store.

Poured into a dimpled squat pint glass. A nice hazy brown color, good head, but poor head retention (this seems fairly common with Boulevard bottle conditioned beers...I wonder why?). As with Zon, you really need to swirl the last inch in the bottle before pouring it into the glass to get the added slight yeast flavor that really adds to the overall experience. Smell is wheat, malt, and light banana with clove flavors, and taste is the same (very nice with the light banana/clove flavors...but note these are light compared to a hefeweisen). Not overly carbonated, but a bit lighter than I expected. Overall, a nice summer session beer.

Maybe it's the heat, but this is the second wheat based Boulevard beer I've given a second chance to and reviewed recently...but I swear this and Boulevard Zon are improved and perfect for a hot summer day (it was 101 again today...when will this heat end?).

07-29-2011 01:50:43 | More by Jayhawk
troymiller1984

South Dakota

01-03-2012 04:45:28 | More by troymiller1984
mizzourah

3.6/5  rDev +5%

A- Pours a hazy amber brown with little head. Not much lacing either.

S- It is sweet with aromas of bananas, cloves and malts.

T- I detect the wheat, bananas and cloves. To me this had a similar taste to a hefeweizen but with a bitterness to the end. It was a strange taste at first because it doesn't taste how it looks, if that makes sense.

M- Somewhat high carbonation but does have a nice creamy feeling at the finish.

D- This is fairly easy to drink. I think the sweetness might get to me after a few, but it would be nice in the spring or summer. The banana was refreshing and the bitterness made for an interesting taste.

04-30-2009 00:52:48 | More by mizzourah
Strand

North Dakota

2.58/5  rDev -24.8%

Boulevard Lunar Ale is a rather strange beer. Lunar Ale is an unfiltered brown wheat ale, with a bit of a citrusy finish. It's not so bad, I've had Lunar Ale a few times, only in bottles. I'm not the biggest fan of Boulevard (perhaps due to their addition of yeast just before bottling, I don't know), but this is a decent Boulevard beer.

Boulevard Lunar Ale isn't a beer I'm going to rush out and buy more of, but if somebody gave me a free one, I wouldn't turn it down.

03-12-2009 15:41:37 | More by Strand
jnfs

Oklahoma

This is not quite was I was expecting, but I am on the second bottle and must say this is a decent American brown ale. The beer is clear, dark and mahogany in color. Roasted malt is the primary initial taste, with some nuttiness and a hint of alcohol too. The mouth feel is a little thin, but after a glass I like the way it is in good balance with the rest of the components in this beer. It's elements are complimentary, and though not a huge brown ale fan I look forward to the rest of the 6 pack. Cheers

07-17-2007 00:31:47 | More by jnfs
smc143

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

The Boulevard Brewery hosted a happy hour for the local KC chapters of the AdClub and PRSA, and opened up the Boulevard bar at their new event space above the brewery. I had one pint glass of Lunar before drinking anything else, but I didn't take notes. This will be from memory.

The glass was handed to me with a light head of cream-colored, fat-bubbled froth that dispersed quickly. The beer was murky, and in color and consistency, reminded me of unfiltered cider. It smelled strongly of malt, and the first sip had a definite bite to it, with a definite carbonation, followed by a sweet tang. I couldn't place the flavors at all, and somehow it seemed an unexpected combo. The tanginess reminded me of cilantro, or maybe cloves, and the sweet seemed a bit fruity. A friend with me insisted that there was a banana flavor underneath it all, but I can't agree.

I am a huge fan of browns, and Boulevard, but this seemed a strange combination. It may be a good summer beer, when served ice cold, but it wasn't what I expected. I'll stick to stockpiling the Irish Ale while it is available, to enjoy beyond March.

03-02-2007 16:13:24 | More by smc143
exparte

2.9/5  rDev -15.5%

Pleasant aroma of banana bread and cloves with another spice; nutmeg, maybe. Citrus and grassy hop notes are present in the nose, as well. Pours a clear amber with a thin head but somehow manages to appear muddy. Taste is sweet and complex, but not in a good way. Theres a lot, too much, going on in this beer. The end result is garbled. Medium bodied with an oily texture and rather flat carbonation. LIngering sweet finish, not crisp and dry as advertised. I like where Boulevard was attempting to go with this but it feels as though they overreached. Worth trying once.

01-17-2010 07:31:39 | More by exparte
Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.