Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
RedHaze

3.6/5  rDev +5%

Pours a dark muddy looking brown, with a one finger off-white head that sticks around for a very long time. when the foam does eventually settle, it leaves a solid cap, but there's practically no lacing.

Smell; somewhat reminiscent of a hefe-weizen with a yeasty and wheat aroma, but without any of the bananas or cloves. Not bad, there's just nothing to really get you excited.

Taste; a little better than the aroma. The yeast and wheat comes through in the flavor, just as it did in the aroma, but there's also an underlying sweetness, with just a hint of some cloves and a mild spiciness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner thn I would expect from an American wheat, but the drinkability is really good, as I almost finished this before I knew it. With the 4.5% abv (according to their website) it would be very easy to put a few of these down. After reading a lot of the other reviews, I expected to not like this beer at all, but it's not bad. I actually wish I had picked up a sixer instead just the one.

04-09-2007 01:11:00 | More by RedHaze
Vancer

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Edit: Ya know, I've had some later beers from later batches and this stuff is really starting to grow on me. Now, I'm thinking this is like a cheaper Belgium dark ale. Really getting tasty, and as before, a nice summer session brew. All averages up .5

Well, this one was sure a disappointment from Boulevard. At best a crossover brew for newbies, but way to shallow, thin and watery for me to make it into a drinker. But at $7.50 a sixer, I can easily find better.

Pour was the best part, hazy amber / ruby red with a thick and lacey ivory head – nice bottle conditioned brew.

Clove, wheaty malt and banana in the aroma – for a brown ale? No, but for a dark wheat it does better. Then the quaff, a touch of coriander, but other than that just a plain-jane tasteless brew. More dunkel weisen than brown.

At 4.5%, it would make for a decent summer session brew.

04-05-2007 13:32:34 | More by Vancer
neonbrown82

3.93/5  rDev +14.6%

I didn't know exactly what I would think of this beer given the mixed reviews, in addition to my mixed feelings about Boulevard these days. I actually kind of liked it though. Nothing too mind-boggling, just a decent beer to kick back and enjoy. Would make a good summer drinker.

The beer pours to a mahogany, amber and brown with an unfiltered cloudiness. No apparent carbonation, though a good sized off-white head forms. Retention could be better. Settles out to a collar around the rim of the glass with a very thin film in the middle. Little to no lacing.

The smell is good. Has a bit of a spicy phenolic edge. Clove predominantly, though it has a subtle underlying banana ester. It's easy to tell that this is a wheat based malt profile. Seems like a dark wheat beer with saison yeast.

The taste is good as well. A little sweet up front, followed by a dominating clove with a banana ester in the back. A little bready with hints of bubblegum. Just the slightest bit of a barnyard hay-like funk. Almost tastes like it has some flaked corn in it. For what it is, it doesn't taste bad. Hard to classify in any style, but as I said earlier, it is far from mind-blowing.

The body is a fair bit thin. The aftertaste washes out fairly quickly. A hint of sour. The carbonation is gentle on the palate, and the alcohol is detectable but very light. I think I could drink a lot of this during the spring, as it begins to warm up and I start to crave wheat beer. Not bad for Boulevard. Shows a hint of creativity, but it's still far from mind-blowing. I don't think a wheat-brown-ale-saison is going to become a new style by any means, but it wasn't horrible. I didn't expect bad, but I didn't expect to be blown away either. This beer simply is what it is. Glad to see Boulevard finally expanding their line for what it's worth; afterall, it's one of the breweries that actually got me into craft beer to begin with.

04-05-2007 08:51:54 | More by neonbrown82
dblhopjoe

Iowa

2.73/5  rDev -20.4%

Hazy cola brown color, large co2 bubbles that look more force carbonated than bottle conditioned, quickly dissipating to nothing. Poor retention for a wheat.
Smells almost like dr pepper and dunkle weizen combined, their yeast is kicking out some nice olfactory spice.
Interesting flavor, tastes like a toasty brown ale up front, then fades to a slightly peppery spice with standard wheat graininess , then finishes with a bit of NECCO wafer, actually a lot of NECCO, the chocolate ones at that.
Light body, almost no feel besides co2
Overall this is about what I expected from Bully, flavorful, but just not enough in the right direction. It gives me hope for their Saison, but this just falls flat.

04-04-2007 21:03:05 | More by dblhopjoe
dantzig

3.03/5  rDev -11.7%

Hazy medium-dark brown beer. Head forms nicely but dissipates quickly. Yeast + malt odors. Taste is a combination of malt and light spice with a gentle tangy bite of a finish. The mouthfeel is medium to light with generous carbonation and a moderate amount of sticky residue. Nothing in particular stands out about this beer. While I wouldn't turn it down if offered to me, I also wouldn't choose this beer over something with more character.

Like other reviewers, my brother noted similarities between this beer and ZON. He summed his opinion up by stating "it's a lot like a darker ZON without the orange and coriander."

04-03-2007 05:31:23 | More by dantzig
bort11

3.4/5  rDev -0.9%

12 oz bottle poured into a hefe glass. Short fizzy head that recedes to nothing. Color is a hazy caramel brown.
Smell is mild, with hints of brown sugar and caramel malts. Slight hops bitterness in the finish. Taste is like a dark bread, sort of like a pumpernickel. Caramel malts dominate up front. There is an unusual phenol finish.
Mouthfeel is a light/medium body. Evenly balanced carbonation.
This is an interesting attempt by Boulevard. It's not great, but not horrible either. I was really hoping for something more.

04-02-2007 01:16:58 | More by bort11
smc143

3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

The Boulevard Brewery hosted a happy hour for the local KC chapters of the AdClub and PRSA, and opened up the Boulevard bar at their new event space above the brewery. I had one pint glass of Lunar before drinking anything else, but I didn't take notes. This will be from memory.

The glass was handed to me with a light head of cream-colored, fat-bubbled froth that dispersed quickly. The beer was murky, and in color and consistency, reminded me of unfiltered cider. It smelled strongly of malt, and the first sip had a definite bite to it, with a definite carbonation, followed by a sweet tang. I couldn't place the flavors at all, and somehow it seemed an unexpected combo. The tanginess reminded me of cilantro, or maybe cloves, and the sweet seemed a bit fruity. A friend with me insisted that there was a banana flavor underneath it all, but I can't agree.

I am a huge fan of browns, and Boulevard, but this seemed a strange combination. It may be a good summer beer, when served ice cold, but it wasn't what I expected. I'll stick to stockpiling the Irish Ale while it is available, to enjoy beyond March.

03-02-2007 16:13:24 | More by smc143
karst

3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

A pre-release from Boulevard BC (Jennifer Helber) provided to Kansas City Bier Meisters for their annual homebrew competition held at Flying Monkey BC in Olathe KA Feb 17 & 18th.

Cloudy golden brown with ivory low head moderate retention (~1 minute)

Belgium like aroma of yeast / cloves and base malt with wheat in back. Flavors follow aroma with some caramel / sweet candy hints. Sweetness well balanced with hop bitterness and ends with nice soft finish. Mouthfeel is helped along with moderate carbonation becomes thin as beer warms and flattens. Taste and aroma along with Boulevard's reputation will help sell this but I find drinkability, and appearance to be the low points. In fairness I should retaste on a day when I have not just completed judging three flights of homebrews followed by two hours of sampling at K.C. Lucas liquors.

One thing I did notice was that the 100 or so beer lovers were not hitting the keg very hard.

02-19-2007 11:11:21 | More by karst
garymuchow

3.68/5  rDev +7.3%

12 oz. sample bottle provided by friend in distribution business. Thanks John.
Strong phenolic aroma (which wouldn't make it in the style listed). Little spicey, little clove. Bold enough, but not much other than the yeast.
Pours with nice off-white head of some depth. This eventually becomes quite creamy in appearance leaving dripping strings of lace. A cloudy brown with hints of gold.
Yeasty spicy flavors first. Nice moderate bitterness kicks in mid drink and flows to a soft dryness. This gains strength as it warms, becoming a little more distracting, then backs off with increasing warms, eventually moving into the background. Mild malty flavors, more in the background than foreground. These increase in sweetness and enjoyability, but remain too soft.
Appropriate fullness in carbonation doesn't hide the moderate thinness that makes it easy to drink.
Yeast qualities dominate. This may be drank ice cold, but it'll miss the benefits of increasing malt flavors as it warms (as subtle as they are). Nice to have a regular American made dunkelweizen available. I wonder if this might be a seasonal towards the warmer months, as I could see this doing well, by me, outside on a warm day/evening/night.

02-17-2007 01:48:10 | More by garymuchow
bditty187

3.5/5  rDev +2%

Sample bottle provide by a brewery rep… Lunar will be released to the public in April 2007.

Slightly hazy, coppery-brown in hue with a slight ruby twang; off-white head, at the apex the foam was only a half finger tall. The bubbles subsided to a moderate, soapy cap. No subsequent lacing. Bummer. Overall, the appearance is slight above average… nothing more.

The nose shows intimations of a Dunkelweizen; I detect some cloves, pepper, and bubblegum. There are some bready notes, some wheat too (?)… toasty caramel and hints of toffee. It is neither fruity nor hoppy. Moderate potency; the nose is a cross between a Brown Ale (minus the fruitiness) and Dunkelweizen (minus rich yeasty aromas). Decent bouquet; inviting I guess… it is fairly straightforward though.

The palate matches the nose almost exactly; malty, bready notes roll throughout and I enjoy them quite a bit. I am a fan of Brown Ales and I like this aspect of the flavor profile. Hints of cloves arrive in the middle as does a flash of pepper and bubblegum (quite faint). Otherwise it has clean, straightforward flavors… tasty but it really isn’t that special. Mainstream drinkers welcome here.

About medium in body; low but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is fits this beer well enough.

Drinkable it is. Is it worth buying a six-pack of once it is released? I doubt it. There is a dearth of Brown Ales in Nebraska but this really isn’t what I want in the “style.” At first I was excited to hear that Boulevard was releasing a bottle conditioned Brown Ale (hear that Empyrean!) but then I heard it was a cross between a Dunkelweizen and a Brown Ale. Okay... odd, I thought but it could be good. Sadly, the early feedback I received was lukewarm and now that I have finally tried it. It was so-so. Maybe Boulevard can pickup a few Newkie Brown drinkers or something but beer geeks will see this as a sign that Boulevard is stuck in a rut. Maybe (god I hope) the new 750ml beers will be great. Cheers to new beers.

01-13-2007 21:09:00 | More by bditty187
« first ‹ prev | 176-200 | 201-225 | 226-250  | next › last »
Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.