Lunar Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Lunar AleLunar Ale

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  5.10% ABV

Our first new year-round beer since 1996, Lunar Ale is in a category all its own. Brewed using a unique aromatic yeast, this refreshing variety is best described as a cloudy brown ale with a complex, malty aroma and flavor, and a crisp, dry finish.

(Beer added by: bditty187 on 01-13-2007)
4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

Another Boulevard beer I hadn't tried in some time, so I picked one bottle up in a mix and match 6 pack at the local liquor store.

Poured into a dimpled squat pint glass. A nice hazy brown color, good head, but poor head retention (this seems fairly common with Boulevard bottle conditioned beers...I wonder why?). As with Zon, you really need to swirl the last inch in the bottle before pouring it into the glass to get the added slight yeast flavor that really adds to the overall experience. Smell is wheat, malt, and light banana with clove flavors, and taste is the same (very nice with the light banana/clove flavors...but note these are light compared to a hefeweisen). Not overly carbonated, but a bit lighter than I expected. Overall, a nice summer session beer.

Maybe it's the heat, but this is the second wheat based Boulevard beer I've given a second chance to and reviewed recently...but I swear this and Boulevard Zon are improved and perfect for a hot summer day (it was 101 again today...when will this heat end?).

Jayhawk, Jul 29, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -10.2%

From notes 10DEC10

Stubbie bottle poured into a pint glass. Gift from my baby brother had held onto knowing I had never tried.

What is the difference in this and a dunkelweiss again? Oh wait complexity and spice character. This is a perfectly tasty accompaniment to the Golden Rule barbecue I enjoyed with it, outside of that meh.

PGHeppJr, Apr 15, 2011
3.65/5  rDev +6.4%

Huge thanks to bucky10 for this extra. A style tick I've been after for a long time. Bottle split into my tulip.

A: Rusty cinnamon brown. Small beige head leaves tiny amounts of soapy lace.

S: Pale malts, a hint of dark fruit, touch of wheat and a modest spice profile mixed in there.

T: Mild flavors overall. Light hop presence, pale malt, wheat, cinnamon, clove, banana. Like a mild heffe.

M: Medium body with mild creamy carbonation.

O: My first of the style but tasty and easy to drink.

beerwolf77, Mar 21, 2011
3.3/5  rDev -3.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Best by 02/26/11(This was reviewed before this date). Thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing!

(A)- Pours an amber colored hue. Produced some off-white bubbles.

(S)- Some nice warm dark fruits with some subtle banana and lemon. Very subtle hints of raisin. Hints at rye characteristics.

(T)- Similar to the smell. Some good fruity notes of lemon and banana and dark fruits too.

(M)- A good carbonation level. Smooth and light with some rich fruits.

(D)- An interesting beer. Mild and yeasty with some good flavors. Easy drinking.

sweemzander, Mar 06, 2011
3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

A - Poured into a snifter. Copper color with a short white head.

S - Honey, malt, wet hay.

T - Slight malt sweetness followed by some bitterness. Fairly plain and the carbonation hits the tongue from the beginning and dominates.

M - Bubbly, thin body but still soft. The carbonation is too much IMHO.

D - Drinkable but not memorable.

Fatehunter, Feb 20, 2011
3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from bottle into a weizen glass, best by 04/17/2011 stamped on bottle.

A: Rich, cloudy amber with a tan head and moderate carbonation.

S: Bananas and cloves (despite the style description), with a little bit of nuttiness. Smells nice, but I give it a knock here based on style.

T: Nutty malt with just a hint of bubblegum. Not nearly as fruity as it smells. A bit of an tea flavor much like an Irish Ale. Some wheat, but more of a malt balance than anything. Fairly intriguing.

M: Medium-light body with quite a bit of malt smoothness. Just a bit of hops sneaks out at the end. Dangerously close to being watery at times, but doesn't quite get there. Pleasant.

D: Like another recent reviewer, I like this better than I remember the first time I tried it several years ago. Between Lunar Ale and Schlafly No. 15, it seems two of the foremost "American Dark Wheat Ales" are produced here in Missouri, though I'm not sure they fit the style description. All in all, a pleasing beer with enough complexity to bring me back for more. I hope this isn't discontinued for the Amber Ale, I think I'd be more inclined to purchase Lunar.

tito42, Feb 17, 2011
3.08/5  rDev -10.2%

Hazy dark orange with a small off white head with fair retention and spotty lacing. The aroma smells like overripe bananas and cloves.

The taste is just like the aroma. It has overripe bananas and cloves. Not a bad flavor at all, but it is a little lacking. If the flavor was punched up a little, this would be much better. The same holds true for the aroma.

Light bodied with good carbonation. This is a decent beer, but more flavor would be better.

hardy008, Jan 14, 2011
3.55/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Deep amber, slightly hazy. Okay head falls fast and leave minimal lacing.

S: Light cloves and some other spiceyness and yeastyness with a slight hint of citrus. Grainy , wheaty sweetness with distinct malty notes. Note bad at all, but I would like a tad more umph.

T: Follows the nose. A sort of dunkelwiezen/ American wheat with some Belgian-esque notes. Faintly sweet doughy wheat with caramelly malt notes. Some estery fruit notes, the then some yeasty spice on a sweetish grainy backbone. Cloves dominate the spicy, but also get a touch peppery. Fruitiness is both lemony citrus and weaker background banana - odd, but this works, even with a bit of twang in the end. Softly balance, almost shy, bitterness.

M: Medium body with carbonation that starts strong and either calms down or grows on you. Semi-sweet finish, yet still rather quenching.

D: Snappy and darker and sweet. Spicy, wheaty, yeasty nose with a fruity palate that also has a lot of the same traits as the nose and a good dose of maltiness. A sort of American dark wheat ale. A mix of different things, or maybe something else entirely. A fair bit going on and very easy to drink. I really like the idea of a bigger and badder version of this. I do not like the rumors that this is being kyboshed.

(from notes - tasted April 2010)

SickGnar, Dec 29, 2010
3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an ever so slightly cloudy coppery brown. The head is a sandy color and is very thin, but leaves a little lace.

Smells pretty much like a hefe with the trademark banana and clove scents. A hint of caramel is also detectable. Pretty light nose though.

A blend of a hefeweizen and a nut brown ale comes to mind. Some nutty and caramel flavors along with a good dose of clove and a hint of banana. Lightly complex.

A bit harsh in the carbonation department. The body lies somewhere between light and medium.

Not only is this easy to drink, but it's a unique twist on what would otherwise be considered a hefeweizen.

jera1350, Dec 01, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +21.9%

Drank straight from the bottle while Bar-B-Queing.

Appearance: NA. I would expect it to be a standard Brown Ale.

Smell: Coriander present with hops definitely infiltrating. Not overpowering. A pleasant smelling beer.

Taste: 100 percent delicious. This is a well represented wheat beer with a slight orange taste that is not overpowering like Leinenkugel's sunset wheat.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied with a moderate carbonation level.

Drinkability: Bud Light Lime is 100 percent terrible. This however is one of the better beers to drink in the summer. Unfortunately it will be replaced.

Overall: Excellent beer overall. While I wouldn't necessarily drink this with a fish or steak meal, I would recommend this highly on a hot summer day or just a breezy night with good company. Refreshing beer and I cannot express how much I will miss this compared to the very disappointing Amber Ale.

jadejaws, Oct 27, 2010

Bottle BB 10/23/10. Received in trade via rudge75, thanks! I love deciding on a beer before I ever look at reviews. Guess I'll take a high rDev on this one, because I really enjoyed it...

Nice lightly cloudy brown body with a generaous head that descends to a solid ring that leave light to moderate lacing. The aromas is particularly nice with spiciness and belgian-like esters dominating. The body has a nice creamy viscosity with a light residual caramel sweetness and the tiniest bit of coffee...

I would be drinking this again. Without question...

kjyost, Oct 27, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

I told myself I didn't like Lunar about 6 or 7 years ago and never gave it a shot again until a few months ago. I now realize the error of my ways - especially after hearing that this will be phased out in favor of the new Amber Ale. Fuck me runnin'...

12oz bottle into a Bell's glass - not sure if this is a tulip or snifter? A tulip without the bowed-out edges...whatever, it's very similar to the Tank 7 glass.

Pours a deep, dark amber with a quickly receding off-white head. Appearance isn't much to speak of, but for an "unfiltered brown ale" I wouldn't expect much more.

I get some light bready grains and juicy dark fruits from the Belgian yeast.

The taste and drinkability of this beer is where it excels for me. Sweet juicy flavors jump out immediately - I'm really reminded of grape juice - with the malt & wheat keeping it from ever coming close to cloying. Some hints of milk chocolate and a bit of hop spiciness underneath.

I could go for a little bit headier carbonation but that would probably hinder its extremely high drinkability.

It's a delicious, juicy & easy to drink session beer that I will sincerely miss. I guess I have only myself to blame...

justincurtis, Oct 10, 2010

7-27-10

S: Citrus, banana, and clove on the nose, a little bread

A: Creamy head, dissapates quickly, slightly cloudy, copper

T: Sweet with banana, spice and toasted malt, quite complex, some darker crystals give it a bit of sweetness. Finishes dry with some spice, kind of a strange aftertaste, not sure what to make of it

M: Medium, carbonation makes it slightly creamy

D: A nice summer beer

kdpark, Jul 28, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +1.5%

Cloudy amber with some brownish hues. Thin, white head that fades gradually, becoming patchy. Little bit of lacing.
Smell is malts with a light caramel aroma accomanying. Touch of grassy hops, as well as some faint, dark fruit aromas.
Taste is spiced malts, with some more subtle, grassy hops. Light notes of caramel, barley, toffee, and dark fruit.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light, with a touch of watery aspect on the finish.
Drinkability is good. Not the most impressive beer of this style that I've had, but it still drinks easily.

Parrotbeak, Jul 17, 2010
3.43/5  rDev 0%

Another fine beer from the Boulevard brewing company, lunar ale gets a general rating from me of "pretty good." It's a tasty beer that I would certainly buy again, a nice staple beer from a good brewery.

The color is medium brown and partly cloudy. It makes a decent head, but the head dissipates quickly.

The aroma is pleasant, but not overpowering or especially strong.

Hints of wheat maltyness are present but not real strong. There's also tinge of spicyness and a hint of citrus. It's a tasty beer, with complex flavors that come thru in a rather subtle manner. I thought the carbonation level was fine, and appropriate for the style of beer.

The drinkability factor is quite high, and this would be a good afternoon barbecue brew.

While I would not say that Lunar Ale is especially outstanding in any way, it's still pretty darn good beer. I think I'll have another.

AlCaponeJunior, May 23, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

Best if by 09-2010...got it.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Beer is brown and hazy. Forms a thin off white head that leaves very little lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low and steady. I was expecting more carb, more head, and some lacing...like a dunkel.

Aroma is kind of gross honestly. Its very grainy and watery in the nose.

Taste is way better than aroma (thank you). Lots of carbonation in the palate, a slight aftertaste but overall its a sweet, nice round flavor, nothing like a dunkel. I was wrong in that respect. Its an OK drinking beer but its not as good as regular dunkels. This style may be inferior in general.

drabmuh, May 23, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

A: A strange brownish color, closest to a dark caramel. Translucent. Thin head which dissipates quickly and does not cling to the glass. Lots of bubbles visible.

S: Nose is sweet. Bananas and some flowers.

T: Mild flavor. Up front I catch a lemony bite. Also present is banana bread and a little smoke. Finish is quite clean.

M: Thin and lightly carbonated. I could use a little more bubbles to be honest.

D: A real pleasant drink. Light and refreshing, but still interesting.

thatguy3579, May 20, 2010
4.55/5  rDev +32.7%

This is a review of the Oklahoma 3 point version sold in grocery stores. (labeled as 3.1% ABW, which would be approximately 4.0% alcohol by volume. This is about 1% less than the standard lunar ale by either method)

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a rocks glass.

Pretty dark wheat beer appearance in the glass, very hazy. Looks a lot like my favorite beer, Aventinus.

Enchanting aroma with some spices. Flavor is very-Aventinus like (is it my imagination or has this beer improved over time? I don't remember it being this good before) Lots of tangy wheat notes. Some cloves. Little bit of hops. Maybe a slight bit of smokiness (reminds me of some applewood smoked Yakima salt I've tasted). Rich malty wheat bread notes.

Mouthfeel is decent but not great. Carbonation is just tinge too much.

Incredibly drinkable. The low ABV makes this a fantastic session beer.

I've just found my new favorite Oklahoma 3-point beer. I highly recommend this.

Double plus bonus, it's cheap! I got it for $6.99/six at Homeland tonight. Last week, I got a six at a local convenience store for $7.50. Much cheaper than most of the other 3 point craft beers.

jmbranum, May 18, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +14.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Bottle indicates best by date of 10/23/10.

Appearance: light brown-orange color with a finger of ivory foam. Haze is light; it looks like a low-haze dunkelweizen.

Smell: aroma is very nice. There's a nice clove aroma and a little banana to boot; aroma is creamy, chalky and wheaty. I like it.

Taste: flavor tracks well with the aroma. There's a very nice malt flavor in there with the wheat; I don't know whether they're using chocolate malt here or not, but there is a touch of smooth chocolate malt flavor here. I quite like it.

Mouthfeel: medium, maybe medium-light body; OK for the style. Carbonation is somewhat low and the beer is more fizzy than creamy. Not bad, but could be better.

Drinkability: quite drinkable. I would definitely sit down with a few of these in a session.

flagmantho, May 16, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A-Hazy, copper-colored brew. Fluffy, big head topped this beer, off-white in color.

S-Clovey-wheat aroma, yeasty with some bready character.

T-Large wheat grain taste, slightly bready-sweet, with some yeast-influenced spice. Hints of toasty bread. No perceptible bitterness.

M-Moderate-light body, high-level carbonation, though not out-of-line for a wheat beer.

D-For me, this beer is average drinkable. I don't think it quite works.

CHSLBrew, May 07, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -2.3%

Lunar pours a hazy dark amber color with a light head that fades quickly. It has a pleasant grain smell, but nothing distinct. The taste was initially a bit sweet with a mild citrus finish. The feel was light and no lingering taste. It goes down smooth & easy. This was a pleasant brew for relaxing but that's about it.

soju6, Apr 26, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A - Pours a relatively dark amber color with a very slight haze to it. A weak fizzy head that never really takes form falls to the surface with only a tiny rim of bubbles around the edge of the glass. Expected much better foam and head retention from this one.

S - Subtle aromas, mainly getting a lot of wheat with a bit of malty sweetness. Spices also play a big role in the aroma with cloves and some cinnamon being the most notable. No discernable hops present.

T - Cloves and wheat make a strong appearance up front...and that's about it. Really not much going on here. Flavors aren't at all offensive but there just isn't much here...pretty dull and bland.

M - Fairly light in body with quite high carbonation levels...very prickly in the mouth, almost to the distracting level...I won't go so far as to say it hurts, but it gives a somewhat harsh feel in the mouth. I think the carbonation actually overpowers the flavor in this beer pushing it into the background.

D - Not much flavor and low alcohol level, but very heavy carbonation. The light flavors and normal/average/lowish alcohol level all point towards drinkability but the harsh carbonation doesn't do this beer any favors. I'm a big fan of Boulevard beers (wish they were available in MA), but this one really doesn't hit the mark with me. A little bit of tweaking and maybe it has some potential.

portia99, Apr 17, 2010
3.28/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into an Andechs weizen glass.

Lunar pours with a murky, iced-tea color that brightens to a hazed blood orange hue when held to the light. A few ample trails of carbonation supply a bubbling sandstone head, but the foam doesn't last too long. Pleasant, mild aroma of toasted grains and rye bread with a little sweetness from caramel malts. The hops smell light and floral with traces lavender, while the yeast adds a soft fruitiness of apple flesh and mango.

Lunar tries its best to mimic the taste of German dunkelweizen, but falls a bit short. Toasted malts and bread crust are the dominant players, here--everything else is a bit too bland for my liking. Some toffee and caramel malts balance with a sharp twang from citric hops and a prickly carbonation level, but the finish is fairly lifeless. One of Boulevard's rare misses; I'm glad I only bought a single bottle, as I probably won't be trying this again.

wagenvolks, Mar 16, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

A light brown color, maybe more of a dark amber color is shown in the glass. A quarter inch high head forms on top, light beige in color, then dissolving away quickly. The sweet spicy fragrances of coriander, nutmeg, and cinnamon are the most noticed.
That is followed by a dark bread scent, with the addition of a yeasty twang at the end. The malt comes to the front of each taste, with the strong and hearty bread flavors, that blends to a spicy yeast flavor. It finishes with a mild earthy bitterness. The feel goes from light to a medium texture, a little watery at the front, then blending to a light creamy texture, with a touch of carbonation at the end. A fairly drinkable beer, with a dark solid look, a spicy and hearty aroma, along with malty and bread flavors, with a good texture, make this a solid beer.

cameraman, Mar 16, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a translucent blacken color with a thin ring of off-beige head.
Smell is deep with apricot and other dark fruit pits-also some wheat.
Taste hits first with the wheat/grain flavor then goes to a quick dark fruit taste-ending with a light sweet.
Finish is dry-slight wheaty after-taste here.
Drinks well-the dark wheats are very refreshing-fruit smooths through this beer.

ThaBobfather, Mar 10, 2010
Lunar Ale from Boulevard Brewing Co.