1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Ratings: 1931

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007)
View: Beers (44) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Saison-Brett Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,931 | Reviews: 627 | Show All Ratings:
Hab11

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 Bottle Reviewed with Three Lions from a 750 Ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.
Appearance: big frothy bright white head over a sharp golden color sprouting carbonation.
Smell: lemon and other citrus with white and black pepper notes. Maybe a hi t of Cumin.
Taste: Extremely balanced. Less citrus in the taste. Pepper notes, earthy but not overly so. You get the flavor of the yeast here like a day old Challah bread. Lemon flavor is strong. Great taste. Top two of this style for me.
Mouthfeel: Very creamy truly almost like a Scottish cream ale. However it's also light and not overdone.
Overall: Because of the 8.5 Abv I couldn't drink it all day...Or could I? Nicely done.

04-12-2014 20:50:53 | More by Hab11
ThreeLions

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle split with Hab11

2012 Vintage had in April 2014. I've had many of these over the years and I'm excited to see what one is like with a bit of age on it.

A: Poured into my Night Shift tulip a golden yellow color with a very, very big head which was slow to dissipate. Hab11's head disappeared almost immediately leaving light lacing on the glass; I'm still waiting for mine to settle down. Color is typical of the style; great carbonation.

S: Funky and floral at the same time. Nice barnyard funk going on but surprisingly a lot more citrus than I was expecting. Very nice lemon notes, possibly pepper in the background and more funk but lots of citrus. Very complex and intense nose. Glad I got an older one because it seems like one of the yeast strains is giving off a lot of citrus. I was hoping that Bruxellensis would be more dominant and drinking this would be like riding a horse but I'm excited about all the citrus notes. Going to give it a try.

T: Wow, it's like drinking a lemon drop. I think I prefer this beer young with lots more barnyard funk but this is exceptional. I'm quite surprised at what age has done to this beer. I wouldn't even know if was the same one if I didn't open and pour it myself. So much creamy, milky lemon like flavor. All lemon up front and then it subsides to reveal that typical barnyard funk I'm used to. I'm pretty amazed at this one really.

M: Creamy, frothy brew. This is awesome. What a beer.

O: So glad I picked this one up. Probably won't be able to sit on one again for long since I love this beer young with all of its horsey qualities but age has done wonders for this. Kudos to Boulevard for making a beer that is exceptional both young and old but that are such different beers to drink. Excellent.

04-12-2014 20:48:56 | More by ThreeLions
cindyjeffsmith

Georgia

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: hazy golden. The head is massive. Big, foamy off white and impressive.
Smell: all kinds of things happening here. Earthy, grassy, lemony richness.
Taste: wow. All the flavors in the nose plus a nice, gentle sourness in the finish.
Overall: I go for the big stouts and barleys but I gotta say, this is something I could get used to. Well done.

02-18-2014 23:46:09 | More by cindyjeffsmith
alaimoa

Connecticut

3.94/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle from early 2013, cold and poured into glass.
Fairly clear and golden color, straw 3 inch head with small bubbles rushing from bottom of the glass
Smells of upfront funk, barnyard brett and a bit of citrus
Taste initial citrus leading to earthy tones and a heavy brett funkiness. one of the most funk brews i've had in a while
Feel is refreshing and semi dry with a crisp finish

02-11-2014 19:21:38 | More by alaimoa
TastefulNudity

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Found sitting in a random bottle shop.

A: Golden orange (completely clear on the first pour, swirled for the second to make it hazy) with the biggest head I've seen on a beer. Super careful pouring still created a fluffy white head that's not going anywhere. Looks pretty good.

S: Funky. Wet sock (in a good way) giving way to apple, pear, pepper, and yeasty sweetness.

T: Take the advice of another reviewer a couple down from me. Let this warm up, and swirl the bottle (not too hard, it'll explode out the top of the bottle). At first I was underwhelmed with the beer because of the overpowering Brett. After swirling and warming, much more of the pear and apple come through with just the right amount of funk at the back end.

M: Sweet and prickly, typical Belgian dryness at the back of the mouth.

O: At first, between the giant head and the huge amount of funk, I wasn't impressed. Halfway through the bottle, this beer is exploding with flavor. I'd have to be in the mood for it, but I'd buy it again. Boulevard never lets me down.

02-04-2014 07:21:59 | More by TastefulNudity
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

1.56/5  rDev -63.8%

20012 vintage sampled January 2014

Aroma- lemon, apricot, melon, hey, lightly phenolic, - all very pleasant and mild

Appearance- very pretty crystal clear deep gold with thick cap of rocky merangue head and sheets of lace. Would look awesome if not for the tons of floaters. Its like drinking a snow globe.

Taste- Frankly rather unpleasant. Dry and grainy phantom of what was once pils malt I'm sure. light notes of hey,citrus, and vanilla but man you really gotta get past the mouthfeel problems to notice. Not very bitter. Bone dry.

Mouthfeel- Hugely problematic. Medium-light bodied with palate-ripping astringency followed by searing alcohol heat. Effervescence not helping. When I try to hold this beer in my mouth to evaluate it, I feel like I am taking the Listorene challenge.

Overall- had big expectations of this beer but this is some angry angry brett. I have no idea why this needed to be an 8.5 percent beer but the alcohol is way over the top, solvent, and ruinous. Wouldn't even say it is sharp or acidic or really even very sour. It has none of the classic brett characters except a few notes I picked up in aroma. Undrinkable. I love Bouevard, Tank 7, and sour saisons but this is not good. Maybe I kept it too long, but it is vintage-dated and says "best by 2-2014". If others are having positive experiences with this beer than I suppose it is intended to be enjoyed fresh.

01-27-2014 05:48:33 | More by JudgeRoughneck
vickersspitfire

Pours out a nice clear blonde with some very, very mild haziness to it an enough carbonation to lift an F-18. The head is thick, white and frothy; in fact it might be what you’d expect angels to be floating on in heaven!
Grass, apples, mild tangerine, lemon zest and other earthy aromas come through.
Sharp and bitter, the hops come out as it hits the corners of your mouth. It’s sweet overall and very carbonated. Apple and pear flavors do come through in the background.
This is medium to light bodied.
Overall, this is an excellent beer and represents the style well in my opinion. If you think otherwise, then lend me your taste buds!

01-06-2014 05:22:09 | More by vickersspitfire
JWU

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass

A- pours a cloudy golden, with a HUGE white head. We're talking five fingers of head alone. Lots of carbonation can be seen through the cloudiness.

S- predominantly lemon rind and lots of belgian farmhouse funk. Earthy, grassy, and overall funky.

T- certainly hoppier than most saisons, a definted lemon rind bitterness and taste, with a muted sweetness. Brett doesn't beat you over the head like it can in some beers, which is good, because I always pull the "Band-aid" side of the flavor from brett beers. It's seriously funky. Barnyard for days. Some apple skin and black pepper on the back end.

M- Carbonation is a little over the top. Surprisingly dry.

O- Well crafted, but I can't say it will replace Saison Dupont as my go-to.

01-01-2014 02:42:22 | More by JWU
JayQue

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

Top shelf saison. Yo have to let this one warm up a bit and give the bottle a good swirl before each pour. Given that, prepare for an excellent saison. Poured from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Hazy apple cider color with a huge, delicately bubbly white head that settles into a frothy head as the bubbles die down. Minimal lacing.

My initial pour provided a clear golden beer with minimal aroma. After a swirl, the yeast and funk were very apparent to go along with the citrus/lemony aroma and the hazy darker color.

Taste is marvelous. The yeast and funk are persistent but very gentle. They are expertly blended with a lemony/citrus flavor. The alcohol presence is minimal and there are no harsh flavors of any kind.

Mouthfeel is rich with the carbonation just right. No alcohol burn.

This is a fine Saison. There is nothing that blows you away but all the elements are there. You could sip on this one all night.

12-19-2013 02:46:02 | More by JayQue
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

750ml bottle into a tulip. From notes.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with tons of carbonation and even some yeast floaties. The eggshell-colored head is tall (three fingers high) and quite foamy in texture. While its texture is inconsistent, the lacing left behind is...well, it's inconsistent. Looks nice, though.

S: The funk here is subtle, and it's backed by some citrusy notes. As it sits in the glass, it develops a nice earthen tone, with some lesser qualities of black pepper and phenols. Some very timid sourness can also be caught. This aroma has some nice complexity, I must say.

T: Bready, spicy yeast hits the palate first. It's funkiness gradually builds on the palate, but never to the point of excess. The finish is nice and citrusy, with some underlying lemon notes. Complex, but in a soft, suggestive way: it never bludgeons the palate in any manner.

M: Indeed, this is a soft yet full brew - a bit too astringent though. Not like it matters, because this is dry, fizzy, and immensely drinkable. I really don't want this to end.

O: I love Tank 7 and I love this. If I have to nitpick (and I always have to, every single time) it's that the complexity is a bit concealed. Luckily, discovering all of its nuances is such an enjoyable experience. I'll definitely have to get more next year!

12-01-2013 03:31:17 | More by ThisWangsChung
superspak

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in 3/2013. Pours moderately hazy/cloudy bright golden amber color with a 2-3 finger foamy and rocky white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Spotty foamy lacing clings around the glass, with plenty of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big pineapple, pear, lemon zest, orange zest, apple, hay, floral, grass, pepper, light bread, light must, and herbal/yeast earthiness. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity of fruity brett, earthy yeast, and moderate malt notes; with good strength. Taste of pineapple, lemon zest, orange zest, pear, apple, pepper, clove, hay, grass, floral, light bread, light must, herbal, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of pineapple, bright citrus, pepper, clove, bread, hay, grass, and herbal/yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Fantastic complexity and balance of bright citrus/tropical brett flavors with fruity/spicy yeast and moderate malt balance; with a great malt/yeast flavor balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. High carbonation and medium bodied; with a very crisp, smooth, and lightly prickly mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an incredible saison! All around amazing balance and complexity of brett/yeast and moderate malt flavors; and super smooth and crisp to drink for the ABV. An extremely delicious offering.

11-02-2013 06:09:28 | More by superspak
n2185

3.91/5  rDev -9.3%

A: pours a slightly hazy yellow with two fingers of white head that fades into a frothy layer with good lacing.

S: Belgian spices with candy sugar and a sweet, citrusy aroma. Some sweet hay and barnyard aromas follow with some mustiness as well.

T: Belgian spices here as well before a big kick of Brett funk with musty hay and oak flavors. The finish is slightly sweeter before a bitter, yeasty aftertaste.

M: light body with lowish carbonation, this beer is a bit watery feeling.

O: an enjoyable beer overall. I wish the flavor matched the nose's complexity and it had a bit more carbonation, but it's still quite good.

10-22-2013 23:43:29 | More by n2185
taylor714914

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Be still my heart. What a well done Brett'd saison.

Pours a cloudy yellow with a vigorous head.

Smells of floral hops, barnyard, and a hint of hop bitterness.

Flavor is outstanding, melding the typical saison dryness with the earthy, funky, sometimes vegalness of the brett'd saison. I found myself returning to the glass much quicker than I normally do.

Mouthfeel was good, but I feel a bit more carbonation could have amped this up.

Overall a spectacular offering from Boulevard. I'd drink this 5 days out of the week if it were available. Just a superbly done beer.

10-22-2013 20:31:26 | More by taylor714914
Cubatobaco

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Batch # 3/2013
BBD - 2/2015
Poured in a Riedel Cabernet glass

A - Pouring aggressively in the glass reveals a cloudy, golden orange color with a fluffy, 2-finger, white head emerging to the top. Swirling it around the glass leaves a sticky, splotchy lacing.

S - Bright fruit, yeast, and funk dominate the initial aroma. There are some bread like notes, followed by earth, stone fruit, and a touch of oak. You can certainly detect the presence of hops. All of the aromas are balanced harmoniously. My mouth begins to water with each whiff.

T - The Brett-like funk is the first thing I get on the entry followed by citrus fruit, mainly lemon, on the mid-palate. The finish is loaded with malts and a hop bitterness predominant on the back of the tongue. There is a faint detection of alcohol on the way down, but nothing that a couple of months will not correct.

M - This beer keeps your palate excited for sure. There is an acidic entry with a tart mid-palate feel, finishing off with a dry-hopped bitterness. Excellent!

O - I'm slowly becoming a huge fan of Boulevard. This style is something new to me, but I can see why it is so highly sought after. There is no monotony here. They attempted to create a beer that was reminiscent of the two styles and they hit the bullseye! I will look forward to this each year from here on out.

10-09-2013 02:06:16 | More by Cubatobaco
pmarlowe

District of Columbia

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear pale color with champagne-like carbonation, three fingers of pillowy, forever-lasting head. Phenomenal retention and generous swaths of lace.

S: Clean wheaty/grainy character, green apple, pear, a little earthy. Smells phenomenal.

T: More grainy than the nose, a little citrus and apple, mild to moderate bretty funk, earth, and a little sweetish malt. Delicious. I think this doesn't quite come together as well as it should; it's just a touch short of being perfect.

M: A milk-like texture. Medium-light body and a milk-like texture, with medium carbonation.

O: Overall this is an exceptional beer, one of the best saisons I've tried. Easy drinking and great flavors.

09-30-2013 01:30:52 | More by pmarlowe
JamesStreet

Louisiana

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Sent from my brother in KC (my Boulevard connect)
Poured from bomber into chalice
BBD 02/15

A - cloudy, golden yellowish with massive, foamy white head. Lots of "goods" floating around.

S - really nice nose here. A bit bready yeast going on with some hints of grapefruit and a nice mellow citrusy hop aroma. Definitely a little funk smell goin on.

T - excellent balance goin here. Follows nose as far as citrus and hops go. Was expecting a little more from the Brett but was satisfied with what I got. A little tartness as it falls down the back.

M - lots of carbonation. Really light on the tongue with the aforementioned tartness. Somewhat dry and little hint of alcohol.

O - can't say I was disappointed with this one. Boulevard always leaves me happy. Not the best saison I've had, but certainly up there. Wish I had more.

09-26-2013 22:28:37 | More by JamesStreet
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.24/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had this beer several years ago when I really could not get myself to like a saison. Now that I am more accepting of the style, I am giving it another shot.

Appearance - Poured into a glass, the saison was a golden yellow color and produced an aggressive white head. I might go so far as to propose that this beer was happy to see me.

Smell - The aroma had the funk of a saison but something more. It is evident that this beer is hopped.

Taste - At the front, you get gritty lemon rind that puts the side of the tongue on high alert. The hops, which are masked to a degree, assault the central portion of the tongue. The hops make this an elite saison, yet they do not overwhelm the delicate balance of funk. A dry citrus aftertaste comes as the finish.

Mouthfeel - A good saison should have enough sediment to look like a snowglobe. My glass looks like a scene from "It's a Wonderful Life." The head was overly foamy, making the saison hard to pour. However, I would not take points off for this.

Overall - One of my favorite saisons.

09-21-2013 21:42:54 | More by JohnnyHopps
kevanb

4.11/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle, 2013 vintage, poured into a Boulevard Smokestack Series tulip.

Saison-Brett pours a bright, golden straw color, very cloudy with a few bubbles rising to the top of the glass. A big, billowy white head rises out of the glass, nearly 3 fingers high, that has moderate retention and leaves some spotted lace behind. The aroma is clean, pale grain, bretty funk, fruity yeast, citrus with some light alcohol. Lots of bretty funk, pale grain, biscuit, lemon peel, lingering berry flavors with just a touch of alcohol. It's very straightforward, clean, simple and balanced, very easy to drink. The mouthfeel is nice, lots of lively carbonation, soft, creamy body that coats the mouth nicely, and finishes a little bristley.

Verdict: A nice American take on the Saison style, and a good use of brett. It's simple and straightforward, but refreshing and easy to drink and one I certainly enjoy each year. Definitely worth checking out for anyone who loves Belgian style beers or any beer with Brett.

09-10-2013 22:31:47 | More by kevanb
Stevedore

Wisconsin

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

75cl C&C bottle from 2013 bottling; shared with Doug while we were brewing our Citra APA. Poured into a Bell's snifter today, 9/9/2013. Review #203.

Looks like a typical saison, except it is über-carbonated. Pours a nice hazy darker straw-gold body with a massive >3cm white head that actually exceeded the capacity of the glass. We had to hold our glasses over the sink, and this is with gentle pours. That's the only real detractor from the overall experience. Otherwise this is a great-looking, very refreshing saison in terms of appearance. Great lacing on this.

Smells really, really great. Good bits of hay, earthiness (assuming from the Brett) and some lemon zest balanced out very well by light breadiness. That saison yeast does a nice job of adding the typical Belgian-style peppery spiciness to this saison. Smells really, really aromatic yet light and ephemeral. I like it!

Flavour on this is very similar to the nose. A nice bready malt sweetness is more than balanced out by the mild funkiness, lemon zest and some fruit skins (grape and apple). This tastes like what Grassroots Arctic Saison smelled like and should have tasted like. A good yeasty pepperiness finishes this flavour profile off. Delicious.

Mouthfeel is excessively creamy, but very welcome. Medium bodied, very, very well carbonated to the point where it's almost absurd. Finishes a bit dry and peppery, which is balanced out by the mild acidity on the palate. Very creamy and thick yet so refreshing.

I really enjoyed drinking this beer. It's a perfect hot summer brew-day beer.. it's like a lawnmower beer on steroids. I honestly think this will get even better after a year, as more of the Brett notes would be expected to come out, which would make this beer taste even more complex and interesting. Nice work, Boulevard. Glad I have one more bottle to see how it does in another year.

09-10-2013 02:19:55 | More by Stevedore
LiquidCucumber

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2013 from Tasty Bev. in Raleigh, NC.

This brew pours with an extremely aggressive head, which I was luckily prepared for due to my experience with Tank 7, and figured Brett would only make it worse. Still, pours with quite a bit of clarity into a dark golden color.
The smell is lots of Belgian yeast, citrus from the hops and the persistent funk of Brett. Very farmhouse sans the 'horseblanket'.
The flavor comes on strong with a sort of earthy citrus rind taste. The sweet and funky tones get balanced out well by the spice of the yeast and malt combination.
This beer is so refreshing that I am glad I did not cellar it and wait. Here in the last throes of Summer, on a bright and warm day, this kind of brew really takes the cake.

09-08-2013 19:13:44 | More by LiquidCucumber
Bung

look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

750ml 2013. Super lively golden pour, immense billowing white head. Neatly sticks to the glass.

Aroma, Citrus zest, leafy hops. Some bready malt and hay. Lesser earthiness and yeast. Kind of hoppy smelling for a Saison.

Taste, Light bread, sweeter malt, some wheaty like clove and corriander. Sharp grapefruit zest and herbal bitters. Finishes dry and horse blanket-y.

Lively carbonation, heavy side of light body. Alcohol hidden completely. Easy to drink.
Nothing uber complex or out there, but rock solid how it should be. Up at the top of the American versions of the style that I've had.

09-08-2013 01:31:08 | More by Bung
dbrauneis

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Edition

A: Pours a crystal clear medium yellow in color with very significant amounts of active visible carbonation streaming and flowing from the bottom of the glass along with medium golden yellow highlights. The beer has a four finger tall foamy off-white head that slowly reduces to a two finger tall cap covering about 90% of the surface of the beer along with a thick ring at the edges of the glass. Significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of pale malts, spicy/peppery saison yeast, and light fruits (apple and pear). Noticeable moderate amounts of brett are present as well along with a faint aroma of barnyard funk.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of pale malts with some light to moderate flavors of lemon/citrus and light fruit sweetness (apple and pear). That is followed by moderate but building flavors of saison yeast with that distinctive flavor and notes of black pepper. Moderate flavors of brett and funkiness in the finish.

M: Just shy of medium bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. Moderate amounts of dryness. Light notes of acidic prickliness.

O: This beer sets the standard for saisons with brett in them in my opinion. Beautiful saison flavors and aromas that are enhanced by the presence of brett but not overwhelmed by it. Easy to drink with the slightly heavier than normal ABV for the style very well hidden.

09-05-2013 15:51:38 | More by dbrauneis
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.76/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2012 served in a snifter

The color is light to almost clear yellow with a yeasty sediment wafting about. The head was fizzy and effervescent like Alka Seltzer, with a ton of lacing.

The scent was airey and buoyant with Apple, lemon and pear.

The feel and taste were driven by an acidic and phenolic tone. It's was almost like a cider in the natural earthy sweetness of Apple's and then a clovey, yeasty underpinning. Not really vinegar, per se, there's medicinal taste that detracts from the overall experience.

09-04-2013 22:39:17 | More by KYGunner
FembotsUnite

3.73/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden straw hue with lively carbonation. A stark white head forms quickly and stays put.

Aroma: Bready, floral, with a sour finish from that wonderful brett. Light citrus. Enticing.

Taste: Citrus, spice, an aged quality, bread, rose. Yeah, there's some horse blanket there, but it's beautifully complex. You feel like you're farmwalking, kinda near the barn but closer to the orchards.

Mouthfeel: Mmmm. I never know how to talk about this category, but it's light- to medium-bodied. The carbonation works well with the spice to keep it interesting.

Overall: The saison brett is earthy and grounded yet light and breezy. At 8.5%, this is something to save for special occasions, just like I saved it for my day off so I can review it while I'm sitting around listening to Bill Frisell. And it turned out to be a great combination.

09-01-2013 22:10:12 | More by FembotsUnite
flayedandskinned

4.26/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2013 Vintage
Poured into a standard tulip glass

Appearance: (4.5)
Pours a hazy, straw yellow with some lovely orange highlights. As soon the beer is poured, a gigantic, 3.5 fingers tall pure white head erupts. The head has great retention and as it recedes, it leaves some nice lacing behind. Pretty great looking Saison.

Aroma: (4.25)
As soon the beer hits the glass, your nose is treated to blast of Brettanomyces; Since this beer is relatively fresh, the Brettanomyces smells a tad young. Surprisingly, the earthy, leather tinged tones of the Brett already have taken on some of the mature Brett characteristics of tangy pineapple and soft floral tones. These fruity Brett notes really sync up nicely with the orange forward hop aromatics. Playing counterpart to the lightly citrus-y hops, is some traditional spicy saison yeast phenols; predominantly white pepper, pear, as well gentle tones of banana and clove. Beneath the yeast is a solid cracker like malt backbone.

Taste: (4.25)
Follows the nose pretty close; your palate is immediately greeted by a quick smack of slightly herbal, orange forward hops. Following closely behind is some spicy saison yeast; overt tones of white pepper and faint banana. The Brettanomyces soon dominates the flavor profile with its traditional characteristics of musty barnyard funk; wet hay and dry leather. Before the very dry finish is a soft, cracker like malt backbone. The long, bitter finish offers lingering notes of orange blossoms, white pepper, damp hay, wet earth and a gentle biscuit tone. The 8.5% is hidden masterfully well.

Mouthfeel:(4.25)
Light bodied with crisp, lively carbonation.

Overall: (4.25)
A fantastic example of a true to form Saison; its refreshing, spicy and funky with a strong, but well integrated Brettanomyces presence. I really like this Saison, but it doesn't really offer any surprises to the seasoned Saison drinker. Very well executed. Highly recommended.

09-01-2013 05:40:59 | More by flayedandskinned
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.