Saison-Brett - Boulevard Brewing Co.

Saison-BrettSaison-Brett

Boulevard Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Saison / Farmhouse Ale |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-13-2007

Saison-Brett, based on our very popular Tank 7, is assertively dry hopped, then bottle conditioned with various yeasts, including Brettanomyces, a wild strain that imparts a distinctive earthy quality. Though this farmhouse ale was given three months of bottle age prior to release, further cellaring will continue to enhance the “Brett” character, if that's what you're after.

to view more.
Ratings: 2,825 | Reviews: 700
4.26/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Some spots of lace from an initially frothy head. Orange-amber color and cloudy.

More hoppy than sour to the nose. Quite a bit of yeast.

Superb balance. This is not an in-you-face saison. There's some fruitiness at the beginning. There's a yeast bite but it's overall very light (as is the body). The finish is hoppy but lightly so.

4.3/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Effervescent, floral/herbal notes, slightly tart. Medium body with slight bitter aftertaste.

3.61/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Started at 56 degrees. Never had a Saison before and I did not care for it much. But I can see why people who like this style say it's world class. Gotboff to a bang as the cork rocketed off. It poured a murky gold. The head was ridiculously tall and had the texture of honeycomb merengue that clung to the sides of the glass for dear life. Smell and taste featured citrus and some earthiness. There's also a bit of sourness. I get the "funky" comments. Mouthfeel was medium and the texture was the best feature for me. Overall I do not like IPAs and this reminded me too much of that. Still, an interesting beer that I wanted to like. I have another bottle I will revisit in about a year.

3.54/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Not my style and really don't understand the appeal, but I guess Saisons have to grow on you. Kind of sweet, spicy, very funky. High carbonation, huge out of control head. Barnyard? Don't really detect that, but I guess I'm not familiar with wet horse blanket.

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

This is as fantastic a saison as I can imagine. The 5 is within that style. The secret here is in the carbonation - different characteristics come out depending on the level of carbonation. Swirl this as it warms. Each time a new head will form, remain for enough time for s new whiff and taste and each time it's different. This is one that can find itself suitable to most any taste. I feel like folks who gave this a lower score (as in a 3) didn't give it a fair chance. I had a taste I didn't quite care for. I swirled it again and the next was quite an improvement. Fantastic saison. Highly recommend.

3.2/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Apricot yellow body with a volcanic rush of carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass; thick, chunky head. Very spicy, peppery aroma; funky citrus; vinyl. Taste closely mirrors the aroma; some yeast-like tones; heavy phenolic presence. Medium body; coarse on the palate; mostly dry finish.

I've had this beer several times before, especially four-five years ago. It wasn't within my usual sphere of beer preferences but I recall it being intense and interesting. I honestly can't say how this current version compares to some of the earlier versions, yet it seems rather rough and overly intense. There's a strong phenolic element that isn't balanced out by any other desirable flavors. This sample leaves me with feelings of vinyl and burnt rubber more than anything else. It has some redeemable qualities, yet the harsh phenols leave little room for appreciation for anything else this beer offers. Harsh and bruising.

4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

Great base saison, and as expected the Brett is the featured player. The funky yeast dominates the finish and lingers long after the swallow. I like Brett though I am not as fanatical as others, so I wouldn't mind dialing it back a tad, but overall a really tasty saison

4.76/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Lots of hay / earthy aroma from the yeast, flavor starts out with a wave of citrus (mostly lemon peel) followed by the pepper & grass flavor, which is dry but finishes with some faint heat. Light and crisp, with a delicate bouquet of flavors. Boulevard makes the best American saisons out there.

3.83/5  rDev -10.7%

2015. Oh, it's brett'd Tank 7...probably too much to hope that the brett has improved on that mess in a short amount of time. Pours a hazy gold with big fluffy white head, settles in a minute to a nice cap; a few rings of thick lace on the glass. Smell: floral, dried pineapple, soapy, sugar cookie, band-aid-ish; notes of hay and candied grapefruit peel save this. All of these are kind of barely here, at proper temps. Taste: sweet... sugar cookie, dried pineapple, grassy, some snappy grain, mild grapefruit-y citrus zest and acidity. Peppery finish. Worth another shot with an aged bottle to see if brett can do more with the underwhelming, too-sweet and over-hopped base beer.

3.29/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Got a ton of unpleasant brett and band-aid qualities even from an '14 Saison-Brett. Might have just been at a bad spot at the time. But I love brett beers and this was very...underwhelming.

4.2/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Light gold color but, man, a massive frothy head with ridiculous lacing. Scent is intriguing but hard to pin down. Earthy and medicinal seem close but not that precise. It's a little fruity too, kind of an apple cider scent. The taste has these element as well but finishes with something I'll call funky, for lack of a better word. Texture is perhaps is best feature: light, bubbly, dry but almost sandy and creamy at the same time. I definitely like this beer and am glad I tried it, but the jury is still out as far buying it again.

Well, as I finish the bomber, my ratings go up. What a complex beer!

This is such a wonderful beer possibly my favorite. It does best with a little age. Typically give it 1 to 2 years to get maximum complexity and funk. I would not recommend drinking it fresh. The freshest one I've had was very lacking in all the things that make the beer great. When had at the right time this is the kind of beer you can take a drink of, swallow, then exhale through your nose and get all kinds of flavor explosions for several breaths. Complex and funky are the operative words.

Only writing this review because the system requires a review for an "outlier" score.

I am admittedly no expert on saisons. I've only tried a few dozen beers of this style, but I have enjoyed most of them. This particular beer just isn't for me though.

4.71/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

amazing.
that should be enough but i will elaborate for those yet to try this beer.
been trying to get ahold of this one for a while so much thanks to @SteveB24 for sharing.
Boulevard starts with an excellent beer and kicks it up a notch by adding brett.
beautiful golden color with an aroma of that amazing saison yeast and brett clearly pronounced. tastes exactly how i want it to taste and more. just so well done if i ever have access to again i'll buy all i can to see how this beer does with age. definitely holds its own with the big brett boys.
job well done boulevard.

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A 2014 bottle, with a best-by date of 2016. Served at refrigerator temperature into my Duvel tulip.
A - Clear yellow, with streaming carbonation from the bottom of the glass, and a 2 fingers' width of thick fluffy white head that never goes away. Very, very, impressive 5/5
S - Fruity aromas from the hops and Brett, grains and wet hay. Smells sweet. 4.5/5
T - Perfect blend of sweetness, sourness, and graininess. The carbonation helps explode the flavors on the palate. A very pleasant sipper, perfect for a sunny SoCal afternoon. 4.5/5
M - Medium mouthfeel that feels much lighter due to the strong carbonation. Well done Boulevard. 4.5/5
O - Not really sure how I would improve upon this beer, except may be make it a bit lighter on the feel, and ABV, yet retain the fullness of aroma and flavor. Not sure what kind of a brewing miracle that would take. Until then, this works just perfectly! 4.5/5
Now, I need to try this fresh, at 2 yrs, and 3/4 yrs - for research's sake!

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beautiful in appearance and flavor. Snappy earth flavors with spice. Cracker malt. Dry finish. If you find this, buy it.

4.76/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Homerun by Boulevard. Love this brew

4.81/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured in tulip glasses. So much head. Funky nose. Great yeast/wheat taste.

this is hands down my favorite beer.

4.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Pour slow and pray for anything less than a four finger head.....

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got to try this on draft at a local watering hole. I am not yet a big fan of Belgian style, but based on ratings I wanted to give this a shot. I have to admit, I was apprehensive given some of the descriptions of it tasking like "funk" or "Band-Aid", but I enjoyed this more than expected. Pour was clean and clear with ample head; scent was ripe with that Belgian spice. Taste was malty and sweet up front, and I caught the Brett earthiness on the finish but by no means was it distressing. This was my first taste of a Brett beer, and I'll be trying more when possible. Coming from a non-saison drinker, this is a good brew.

I have had this bottled and on tap and it is better bottled. The cork releases with a pop which gets louder as the beer ages releasing herbal and spicy hop aromas mingling with cidery, yeasty fruit aromas with a little barnyard funk that gets more pronounced as the beer ages. It pours a lively, hazy straw with a fizzy quickly dissipating, fluffy head. In older versions the head is more pillowy and persistent. Bread and biscuit malt flavors support and mellow the tart, citrusy funky, earthy saison yeast flavors. Mid-palate reveals some peach. The palate finishes dry and tart with a moderate hop accent. The Brettanomyces really shows up with a very finely bubbled, soft, moussey texture that becomes more luscious and alluring as the beer ages.

I'm not going to write up a fancypants review. It's damn good though.

4.59/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pour slow. Very carbonated and will have large head. Let it breathe.

4.31/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2014 Release Poured into a tulip glass.

A- I had heard you should pour this beer slowly and I'm glad I did as, even with a slow pour, the glass was mostly foam. A high pillowy white 4 finger head that sticks around. The beer is a bright yellow, good degree of clarity on the initial pour.

S- Big brett presence, with that earthy funk, nice lemon and grassy notes, getting even some spice and maybe just a touch of banana.

T- Again lots of brett here, big basement cellar funk, maybe a slight taste of band-aid, lots of lemon notes, grassy hops, slight pepper, spice, and banana.

M- Medium, not over carbed feeling despite the appearance.

O- At first I found the brett aspect of this beer to be too much but as it warmed it the flavors really came together.

to view more.
Saison-Brett from Boulevard Brewing Co.